Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Is the PSP worth buying?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Sev Rith

Sev Rith
  • Members
  • 324 posts
I've been looking into buying a new console recently, and I was wondering what you guys think about the PSP in terms of games, graphics, price and whatnot. I've been leaning towards one for a while because I wanted to get into the newgen stuff without having to pay a whole lot (xbox 360) when I could get a majority of those games for the pc.

The Pros. Are there a wide variety of good games out? Are the graphics as nice as they look? Is the feel of the controls comfortable and easy to use? I heard some of the multimedia things could be better, but I'm really looking more for its gaming compatiblity.

So, basically, is it worth the $200+ or should I just save up the $500 for the 360?
IPB Image

JJC

JJC
  • Members
  • 770 posts
  • Interests:Gaming... duh
Be prepared to have the phrase "ZOMG get a DS not a PSP" shoved down your throat from this community but myself I've only played a DS and can't really comment on the PSP like some others can. From what I have heard though, the PSP lacks good games and is more of a portable multimedia device. But as always, do your own research. Make up your own mind.

Silverslug

Silverslug

Best Console Contributor 2006

• GA Private
  • 5,961 posts
  • xfire:fruitsofherwomb
  • Xbox / GFWL:fruitsofherwomb
  • Gamer Army ID:118
If you don't have a Playstation 2 and want it in a portable and like movies on the go. The PSP is worth it if you don't mind buying memory cards for it. Also it plays roms. Thats the only reason I would ever get a PSP tbh. That and Power Sone Collection.

The controls are horrible on some games and most games aren't as big and pretty as its Playstation 2 big brother. The PSP is not as powerful as a PS2 and has loading issues in SOME games.

Depends. What system has the games you want. Everyone can agree... PSP is not next gen. Neither is DS. there handhelds and shouldn't be compared to there console counterparts.

fykusfire

fykusfire
  • GA Private
  • 1,316 posts
  • xfire:fykusfire
  • Steam ID:fykusfire
  • Gamer Army ID:1293
  • Company:Hotel
QUOTE (Sev Rith @ Oct 30 2006, 02:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been looking into buying a new console recently, and I was wondering what you guys think about the PSP in terms of games, graphics, price and whatnot. I've been leaning towards one for a while because I wanted to get into the newgen stuff without having to pay a whole lot (xbox 360) when I could get a majority of those games for the pc.

The Pros. Are there a wide variety of good games out? Are the graphics as nice as they look? Is the feel of the controls comfortable and easy to use? I heard some of the multimedia things could be better, but I'm really looking more for its gaming compatiblity.

So, basically, is it worth the $200+ or should I just save up the $500 for the 360?

The PSP is a pretty good system. There aren't a ton of great games out, especially when you are looking for titles that you don't already have on your PS2, Xbox, or GC. But nevertheless, some of its games are very good, and it acts as a pretty good portable PS2. Also, if you don't have an mp3 player yet, the PSP is great for that as well. Of course you will have to fork out some dough for the Memory Stick Pro Duo to do this, but that isn't something you'll get around for any console out there.

One gripe for me are the controls though. The single stick analog nub harkens back to the days of the DC, and I don't mean the good ones. SOCOM in particular suffers greatly because of this.

TubularLuggage

TubularLuggage
  • Members
  • 5,221 posts
  • Interests:Rock/Metal, Drumming, film making, my woman
I'd reccomend waiting for a price drop.
IPB Image

Dvondrake

Dvondrake
  • Members
  • 453 posts
Definitely not worth it.
Just get a DS. Better games, better features (wifi is stronger, touch screen, etc...), and if you get the GBA movie player cartridge you can play movies and music and stuff just like a PSP.

piggyspizza

piggyspizza
  • Members
  • 3,170 posts
  • xfire:piggyspizza
  • Interests:Guitar<br />Gaming<br />Computers<br />Friends
  • Xbox / GFWL:Shwanzig
  • Wii:7168706976063002
From what I hear it's this

Overall PSP<DS
Features PSP>DS
Games DS<PSP

If you want to play fun games like metroid, and animal crossing go ds.
If you want to go onlines (DS can to), play mp3s, ect go PSP
Crysis isn't a game, it's a benchmark.

Sev Rith

Sev Rith
  • Members
  • 324 posts
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I think I'm just going to wait a while and see what happens with the PSP, it seems like they're getting you to pay more than $200 with the things that are required for it to reach its full potential. I'll look into the DS a bit and see what it's like.
IPB Image

BlightedArt

BlightedArt

Busting your balls since 1987. | Best Art Contributor

• GA Private
  • 7,092 posts
  • Interests:Cartoons, animation, video games, design, indie / acoustic alternative / rock music, japanese culture, mythology, playing drums and ocarina.
  • Gamer Army ID:2866
QUOTE (Sev Rith @ Oct 31 2006, 10:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I think I'm just going to wait a while and see what happens with the PSP, it seems like they're getting you to pay more than $200 with the things that are required for it to reach its full potential. I'll look into the DS a bit and see what it's like.

Indeed. If you have friends with DS's and PSP's, ask them if you can either borrow it (not likely), or just have a few shots while you're at their house or something. Don't go to a game store and try the PSP's and DS's there, cause that'll only give demo's for one, two games tops, rather than allowing you to experience the 2 parties' "full potentials" as you said in the previous quote.

Opinions from other gamers are all well and good, but just be sure you try both the DS and PSP as much as y'can before buying. smile.gif
"Wish you were here."
- The Devil, on his tour of Georgia, U.S.

Abyss_of_Borg

Abyss_of_Borg
  • Members
  • 557 posts
  • xfire:abyss908
I'm not going to say get a DS although it is a better choice just for games imo. As an all around system that happens to play games it's pretty good. It's got a great screen and everything. I would actually wait to see if they release one with a hard drive because the UMD format just sucks. It's really dying anyway. Developers aren't doing all they can with the controls for PSP. Most seem like they are for PS2 controllers and meant for 2 analog sticks. You don't buy a PSP as a replacement or anything for a console. If you want to play PS2 games on the go then it's a good choice, but I wouldn't get it instead of a 360.

Tel

Tel
  • Banned
  • 1,253 posts
  • xfire:teleoblivion
  • Interests:Pure Pwnage, Music, Photography, Photoshop,Gaming,Buttsecks?, Biking, Laughing at Emo Kids, Your mom jokes, Spikedhumor, Torrenting, These forums, etc.
QUOTE (Dvondrake @ Oct 30 2006, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and if you get the GBA movie player cartridge you can play movies and music and stuff just like a PSP.

It can also play NES and GB Roms.

There both good systems, But the PSP Isnt really a gaming system IMO, Cause there are only a few good games out for it.

But the DS, Has a ton of good games. I can name 10 off the top of my head.

i_killed_kenny

i_killed_kenny
  • Members
  • 955 posts
  • xfire:uberazn
Yeah, you're looking in the wrong spot for advice here, this community is rabidly Nintendo.
I have a PSP, and it's pretty damn good. They have a couple good games for it that should entertain you for many hours, and MGS is coming out for it soon. You don't really need a bunch of things to get its full potential, use a regular format for pics and music, and use PSP Video 9 to convert videos. You can find a Nintendo ROM on the internet, so overall, I think you should get it.
The best way to run a Mac is at 9.8 meters/second/second.

The Cake is a Lie!!! - Portal

slobba

slobba
  • Banned
  • 700 posts
  • xfire:pe2z
i would recommend saving more for a 360, i have a 360 and a psp..(just recently got 360).. and the 360 is waaayy more fun and definitely worth the money. the psp is awesome for a couple months, but then it gets boring

pr0jectmayhem

pr0jectmayhem
  • GA Private
  • 100 posts
  • xfire:pr0jectmayhem
  • Gamer Army ID:885
QUOTE (Dvondrake @ Oct 30 2006, 07:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Definitely not worth it.
Just get a DS. Better games, better features (wifi is stronger, touch screen, etc...), and if you get the GBA movie player cartridge you can play movies and music and stuff just like a PSP.

i disagree. how Wifi is stronger i'm not sure, but movie player/music functionality is lost when you compare it to the sleek PSP screen, and DTS output.

as for games, DS has a lot of fun, interesting & innovative "games" that i do love, but brain training isn't a game really. there is a lot of great stuff there, but nothing's really hooked me the same way lumines, syphon filter, GTA and so on has on my PSP.

add emulation to your PSP and you're laughing! also, this week alone has the launch of GTA: vice city stories & killzone:liberation. for the first time i can easily say the PSP has a better line-up of titles being released now then the DS
IPB Image
The revolution will be synthesized

evol262

evol262

MotM Dec 2005 teh_burninator / Keeping n00bs at bay

• GA Private
  • 5,804 posts
  • xfire:evol262
  • Gamer Army ID:548
QUOTE (i_killed_kenny @ Oct 30 2006, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, you're looking in the wrong spot for advice here, this community is rabidly Nintendo.

That's totally false. You just really haven't been in this community for long enough to see it, since everyone's excited for the Wii release (as I mentioned earlier, it was the same way around the 360 release).
QUOTE (i_killed_kenny @ Oct 30 2006, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a PSP, and it's pretty damn good. They have a couple good games for it that should entertain you for many hours, and MGS is coming out for it soon. You don't really need a bunch of things to get its full potential, use a regular format for pics and music, and use PSP Video 9 to convert videos. You can find a Nintendo ROM on the internet, so overall, I think you should get it.

Look, to be honest, I have a DS and a PSP.

There are a few good games for the PSP (Liberty City Stories if you haven't played enough GTA yet, Metal Gear Acid, Ace Combat X, Gradius Collection), but it's kinda lacking. It's a decent portable media player, but a real portable media player is cheaper, smaller, and more efficient with battery life.

The DS has some great ones (Castlevanias, Super Mario 64 if you haven't played it, Trauma Center, New Super Mario Brothers, Mega Mans, etc) which make great use of the 2nd screen (particularly fun in Trauma Center), plus the ability to play the huge and well-regarded GBA library. Battery life beats the PSP, the screen's better protected than the PSP's, wifi is better than the PSP's, and it's damn near impossible to brick.

I would not recommend trying to emulate anything on the PSP, since firmware updates are often, and you usually have to downgrade to run the emulators. Then new games come out, and you have to upgrade, then the old emulators don't work. This isn't even considering the exorbitant costs of Memory Stick media. If you screw up the firmware updates, the PSP is worthless. Bricked. Won't do anything. If emulation's your thing, it's really cheaper to get a DS passthrough cart and a Compact Flash adapter for the GBA slot. You can play any GBA/DS game you want that way, plus emulate a number of systems, with zero chance of bricking. Sales numbers and the size of the games library alone should speak for which to get. I'd really say to get both, since both have some great games, but if you can only afford one, get a DS. Then again, if you can only afford one, shoot for a Wii or a 360.

It's also worth noting that the DS Lite (smaller with a better battery and brighter screen), along with the DS passthrough cart and a 4GB CF->GBA adapter's about the same price as the PSP.

As an aside, who the hell uses the DTS from the PSP? Use a real stereo, please. Do you even know what DTS is? It doesn't help on headphones.
CODE
while(!asleep()) {
                    sheep++;
}

noghriassasin

noghriassasin
  • Members
  • 676 posts
  • xfire:superfreak7
I always thought the touchscreen on the DS was cool so.... DS ftw.

Javea1

Javea1

Member Of The Month October 2007 | Best RTS Contributor

• Members
  • 1,681 posts
  • xfire:Javea1
  • Interests:RTS
  • Xbox / GFWL:Javea
  • Wii:4339-2250-4654
Definitely a Nintendo DS.

I think the selling rate for Nintendo DS vs PSP was somewhere around for every one PSP that sold, ten DS's were sold.

I have a Nintendo DS, and it's sure to provide you very much entertainment.

With a great amount of battery time for those who travel! icon_razz.gif

-Jav
"Gonna cook a pizza... think about the patch." -Day[9]

TubularLuggage

TubularLuggage
  • Members
  • 5,221 posts
  • Interests:Rock/Metal, Drumming, film making, my woman
QUOTE (slobba @ Oct 30 2006, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i would recommend saving more for a 360, i have a 360 and a psp..(just recently got 360).. and the 360 is waaayy more fun and definitely worth the money. the psp is awesome for a couple months, but then it gets boring

But in all fairness, the 360 is a little less portable than PSP.
IPB Image

Silverslug

Silverslug

Best Console Contributor 2006

• GA Private
  • 5,961 posts
  • xfire:fruitsofherwomb
  • Xbox / GFWL:fruitsofherwomb
  • Gamer Army ID:118
The PSP might be worth the 200 bucks if you don't mind spending the extra cash on the SDcards or whatever type of Memory it takes. The screen is really nice. If you can hack the firmware or downgrade it, its worth the cash. Running Genesis and SNES games on it is more fun then the actual games made for the PSP.

The biggest supporter that has been releasing some good classics, is Capcom. They Released Mega Man, Mega Man X Mavrick Hunter, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Darkstalkers, Super Ghost and Goblins, Powerstone Collection (great games OMFG), and more that i can't remeber atm.

200 dollars to me is pretty steep for a Handheld, but if you don't mind it and love homebrew/roms then you should look into the PSP.

Playing Movies off of it is just a bonus if you already don't have a video Ipod.

Guest_Silint Ninjya_*

Guest_Silint Ninjya_*
  • Guests
QUOTE (pr0jectmayhem @ Oct 30 2006, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
add emulation to your PSP and you're laughing! also, this week alone has the launch of GTA: vice city stories & killzone:liberation. for the first time i can easily say the PSP has a better line-up of titles being released now then the DS

not to dis the psp version of GTA only, but as a whole, that series has grown lame. its the same freakin game over and over again. im sorry, i played it 5 years ago.

personally, i was not a fan of killzone, nor am i interested in this one....

that said, i think sony itself wants to kill off the psp. under clocking its processor and doing its dang best to kill off the homebrew community and you virtually HAVE to update the console everytime you buy a new game. ok, ill admit that im anti-sony...but looking back, they were in a really good spot to over take nintendo, or at least get a lot closer....but they didnt just shoot themselves in the foot, they stuck a shotgun to their hip and unloaded it. ill probably never buy one, and if i win one, ill probably sell it...but thats just how i feel about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users