Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Games are like pot, and it's not something to joke about.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

smarteth

smarteth
  • Members
  • 6 posts
I considered myself a gamer for awhiles back, since I was a youngin as a little 4 year old boy until my dad bought me a NES. For many years, I was addicted to this game that I didn't take seriously to be all that bad until recently when it started taking over my life. This is no persuasive statement, but I would just like to say that it's great to have a life and I look down at my old life.

I didn't have time to make a WoW video out of the guild times I had, because that was uninstalled months ago. I just wish that I could encourage at least one of the hundreds on these forums to rethink your future and your status quo in life.

Here's a video I found on youtube that I would've made a similar of .

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xPA-LjSIlsM

PEACE OUT

Smarteth, Cali

edit//

In the video, it says that Reallife is real, because even though there may be sacrifices and pain in real life, it is ...real.

and I don't intend to diirect to necessarily ALL gamers here. Only addicted ones who cannot control their play time.

WoW is an endless game, life can't be paid off with subscriptions.

TWINTURBOSkyline

TWINTURBOSkyline
  • GA Private
  • 2,219 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:3320
  • Company:Omicron
Woah...

Moriarte: Ignoring IW.net, is the PC version of Modern Warfare 2 a direct port of the console version?
Infinity Ward: No, PC has custom stuff like mouse control, text chat in game, and graphics settings.

frostassasin

frostassasin
  • Banned
  • 3,398 posts
  • xfire:frostassasin
  • Interests:Gaming. Yes that's it. I am one fucking boring person.
  • Xbox / GFWL:I wish :(
You realize that WoW isn't even considered a game by most people right? WoW isn't even addicting. I don't get it. I played for 3 months, and had every class on many different servers (I even tried RP and PvP) and I can honestly say, I played for more than 200 hours (xfire didn't log) and like ... That was probably the most boring time of my life. I just ended up cancelling the subscription and writing my WoW CD key down somewhere incase I need it for something.

And about gaming...

People that game in pubs game for fun, not too often. The people who play like CPL/CAL/CEVO/ESEA/ClanWars play for the exact same reason that people play sports competitively, which is to win. Now, until you tell people who play sports competitively and who want to become pro sports players to "go rethink their lives" you're not really making much sense. And I'm sure we realize that we can't make a living playing CSS (well some probably can for a few years but it won't last) and we won't drop out of school and walk to texas to attend CPL.

hackerwacker

hackerwacker
  • Banned
  • 4,590 posts
  • Interests:Stuff that goes boom
  • Gamer Army ID:220
K

Karko

Karko
  • Members
  • 3,034 posts
QUOTE (smarteth @ Oct 4 2006, 10:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I considered myself a gamer for awhiles back, since I was a youngin as a little 4 year old boy until my dad bought me a NES. For many years, I was addicted to this game that I didn't take seriously to be all that bad until recently when it started taking over my life. This is no persuasive statement, but I would just like to say that it's great to have a life and I look down at my old life.

I didn't have time to make a WoW video out of the guild times I had, because that was uninstalled months ago. I just wish that I could encourage at least one of the hundreds on these forums to rethink your future and your status quo in life.

Here's a video I found on youtube that I would've made a similar of .

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xPA-LjSIlsM
PEACE OUT
Smarteth, Cali

what elevates you to the position where you can judge another person's lifestyle choice, yes you may have once been a gamer but that does not give you the right to put down anothers' with your words. I myself am a gamer, I enjoy being a gamer immensely, ive experienced the wow addiction, the competition of the counter strikers and the frenzy of rts micro ive more or less had the entire 'gaming' experience since i was the age of 6 on a mac playing those old adventure games (day of the tentacle etc) and now you come along and more or less say that such a life isnt worth it? well maybe not to you but if a person is enjoying their life (and hell you only live once if you cant enjoy it or get any satisfaction then theres no point to it) why they should they stop?

if a person is enjoying their life and finding fulfillment and satisfaction in it. why they have to change it? and if you say that its cause theres more to life. well thats a given no one will ever be able to experience everything so people have to find what brings them joy and stick to it... nomatter what it is...

Second. Worst. Signature. Ever.
Expecting something witty? Herp derp tiddlerp.

frostassasin

frostassasin
  • Banned
  • 3,398 posts
  • xfire:frostassasin
  • Interests:Gaming. Yes that's it. I am one fucking boring person.
  • Xbox / GFWL:I wish :(
Well, he posted and went offline. Doubt he'll ever come back lol

smarteth

smarteth
  • Members
  • 6 posts
Nah, as I already said, it's not persuasive at all and I have no intent to force anyone to do anything.

I'm not talking about just WoW, but game addiction and related.

//edit

BTW, I'm not in a position to judge OTHER peoples positions, but mostly I'm trying to get across of my experiences and that there's many fun things to do, but also .. there is gaming

Maybe it's just me that enjoys RL much more now because of the new happenings and me getting into a new hobby.. but looking at other people's quitting stories I see there's really 2 arguments here that can be defended

o-0

o-0
  • Members
  • 269 posts
some game producers hire psychologists to advise the makers on how to make the games more addicting and attractive to the general public
if you are truly not addicted to some games, then you have a strong will power or you find other things more fun
if you're like me and know that you're addicted to some games, then good luck on that
o-0

mattymcg

mattymcg
  • Members
  • 677 posts
  • xfire:mattymcg112
  • Interests:computers, women, marijuana. Im 17 what else do i have to say?
  • Steam ID:newmatty112
  • Xbox / GFWL:infinite112
  • PSN:lol sony
  • Wii:lol Wii online
1. dont watch that vid on acid

2. is there anythig higher than Chronicly addicted?
mmmm skyline

otaku_4_life

otaku_4_life

Best MMO-RPG Contributor 08!

• Members
  • 4,566 posts
  • xfire:otaku4life
  • Steam ID:0:0:9287390
  • Xbox / GFWL:o
  • PSN:L
  • Wii:L
Games are not addictive, that's all there is to it. GG, end of story, I win, lock please.

AKA:
QUOTE (Karko @ Aug 21 2011, 07:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that 12 year old canadian kid who used to play BF2 before going to WoW and becoming addicted

smarteth

smarteth
  • Members
  • 6 posts
I am someone who gets addicted easily and has alot of self motivation. It was really hard for me to quit, I'm not saying it wasn't.

Anyhow, after I haven't played games for about 3 months, my friend installed wc3 on my comp and I watched this vid and realized why I quit in the first place.

mattymcg

mattymcg
  • Members
  • 677 posts
and ya WoW is kinda boring id rather play somthing else but theres just nothing else to do lol
mmmm skyline

otaku_4_life

otaku_4_life

Best MMO-RPG Contributor 08!

• Members
  • 4,566 posts
  • xfire:otaku4life
  • Steam ID:0:0:9287390
  • Xbox / GFWL:o
  • PSN:L
  • Wii:L
QUOTE (otaku_4_life @ Oct 3 2006, 11:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Games are not addictive, that's all there is to it. GG, end of story, I win, lock please.

^

+

Stop being so fucking afraid to play a god damned game. It's not like fucking crack, it will NOT ruin your life unless you have no fucking friends or family to start off with, which I highly doubt. It is a GAME same with any SPORT. GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEAD.

Sorry for sounding harsh, but I need to get the point across.

AKA:
QUOTE (Karko @ Aug 21 2011, 07:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that 12 year old canadian kid who used to play BF2 before going to WoW and becoming addicted

smarteth

smarteth
  • Members
  • 6 posts
It IS a game, and I can see how it may help skill you in some aspects but it's not real, and some people take it too lightly that when they play 6-10+ hours of games a day normally on weekdays it's not really making any progress.

You can either flame me or look at this through my perspective and try to support the truth, even though you might deny it.

+

BTW, I'm not afraid to play a game, actually it's vice versa why I was addicted to it.

mattymcg

mattymcg
  • Members
  • 677 posts
and y do u compare it to pot? pot isnt that bad either.
mmmm skyline

o-0

o-0
  • Members
  • 269 posts
QUOTE (otaku_4_life @ Oct 4 2006, 12:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Stop being so fucking afraid to play a god damned game. It's not like fucking crack, it will NOT ruin your life unless you have no fucking friends or family to start off with, which I highly doubt. It is a GAME same with any SPORT. GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEAD.

Sorry for sounding harsh, but I need to get the point across.

When do you think you'll stop playing games? Do you think that people with high paying professional jobs have time to play games? Do you think any successful(as in a good paying, professional job) has time to play games? If you never play games, you will have time to study and learn valuable things that get you closer to a good college, but playing games is just a waste of time that will ruin your life.
o-0

Karko

Karko
  • Members
  • 3,034 posts
gaming is no more a waste of time than say watching tv a game, simply by being interactive does alot more for you than the basic sitcom crap that seemingly floods the various channels, again if you enjoy it so be it but dont try to degrade gaming because you lack self control to do game without self destructing

gaming itself isnt the problem its the userbase who lack the ability to limit themselves that is (then again this applies to pretty much anything that can be considered an addiction)

Second. Worst. Signature. Ever.
Expecting something witty? Herp derp tiddlerp.

mattymcg

mattymcg
  • Members
  • 677 posts
QUOTE (Karko @ Oct 3 2006, 11:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
gaming itself isnt the problem its the userbase who lack the ability to limit themselves that is (then again this applies to pretty much anything that can be considered an addiction)

- Agreed
mmmm skyline

Dr.Toker

Dr.Toker

MoTM Dec 07| Teh Tokerer | Best GA Contributor 08 & 09

• GA Brigadier General
  • 2,214 posts
  • xfire:doctortoker
  • Interests:Computers, pwning noobs, pwning my GF,
  • PSN:ShadyToker
  • Wii:5719241413012107
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:102
QUOTE (mattymcg @ Oct 4 2006, 12:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and y do u compare it to pot? pot isnt that bad either.

Cause you get these 14 year old children, that cant think for themselves (not all of you) on here, that have their mommies take away their gaming privleges, and compaire gaming to the EVILS of Marijuana! Jack Thompson is on the move!

Seems like if parents were more honest with their children , the world would be a better place.

1up

1up
  • Members
  • 2,185 posts
  • xfire:amullan
  • Interests:Gaming, Music, Films
There's no such thing as being addicted to games, it's called not having a life. If someone sits playing WoW for 16 hours a day it's because he/she has no life or friends. If someone kills another person or commits suicide "because of the game" it's because they're fucked up in the head.
Also, pot isn't addictive either.
If quizzez are quizzical then what are tests?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users