Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Dream Theater - SCORE

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Contrallion

Contrallion
  • Members
  • 1,778 posts
Dream Theater's Octavarium tour finale DVD came out in America today (after strangely being out in South America for a while). The second set of the performance included an orchestra. I personally thought Dream Theater's sound was great- James LaBrie's voice on many songs rivaled the studio recordings, and Octavarium (the song) was fucking incredible. The orchestra was really mediocre- I think Rudess does a better orchestral job on his keyboard than 20+ musicians with actual instruments.

Has anyone else bought it? If TubularLuggage hasn't seen it yet, then I pwn his DT-fan status.

Garamiah

Garamiah
  • Global Moderators
  • 6,674 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:20
im jealous enough to still feel envious
damn living in australia, the land of late releases

medicate me...
QUOTE (Plasmic Fury @ Jul 11 2010, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was in the ocean and I had a frizbee, and some 8/10's were like THROW IT TO US and I just pretended I didnt hear them and swam quickly back to beach.

Benzine

Benzine
  • Banned
  • 91 posts
Octavarium is the worst DT album. They've gone done hill since SFAM and seem to keep getting worse.
Not a single one of your ancestors died young. They all copulated at least once.

Contrallion

Contrallion
  • Members
  • 1,778 posts
If you think that Falling into Infinity is better than Scenes from a Memory, then something's wrong.

Ninjapanese

Ninjapanese
  • Members
  • 196 posts
  • xfire:rightning
I agree that Scenes From a Memory was their best album so far, but I am still far from saying that they are going downhill or losing their touch. DT still owns pretty hard.

VulgaritySocks

VulgaritySocks

Second only to DougHChrist! | Wisest Poster 08

• Members
  • 4,423 posts
  • xfire:h00nestr00b
  • Interests:Defenestration, interpretive dance...<br />Dreadlocks?<br /><br />This is stupid.
Hm.. I say the only thing changing with Dream Theater is that they're trying slightly to become more mainstream. Which I'm not saying is a "sell-out" thing. It's a great thing. Metal bands are becomming mainstream now, and bands like System of a Down took hard rock and made it popular. So if Dream Theater now gets popular in a way that gives it airtime on radios and that kind of thing... it could potentially mean that the public is introduced to talent again. Which would be awesome.
So I support the new direction Dream Theater is taking. They still pwn hard as ever.

Contrallion

Contrallion
  • Members
  • 1,778 posts
I've never heard them on the radio, but I can't really say anything since I hardly listen to radio at all. A few songs off of Octavarium are definitely radio-friendly, though. Do any stations around you play them?

VulgaritySocks

VulgaritySocks

Second only to DougHChrist! | Wisest Poster 08

• Members
  • 4,423 posts
  • xfire:h00nestr00b
  • Interests:Defenestration, interpretive dance...<br />Dreadlocks?<br /><br />This is stupid.
QUOTE (Contrallion @ Aug 30 2006, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've never heard them on the radio, but I can't really say anything since I hardly listen to radio at all. A few songs off of Octavarium are definitely radio-friendly, though. Do any stations around you play them?

I heard them once on one of those XFM radio stations. That was interesting... but in terms of FM stations, it may be a while... but hopefully soon.

Contrallion

Contrallion
  • Members
  • 1,778 posts
I really enjoy the long songs, though, so hopefully the radio will play those instead of basic I Walk Beside You stuff.

Benzine

Benzine
  • Banned
  • 91 posts
QUOTE (Contrallion @ Aug 30 2006, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you think that Falling into Infinity is better than Scenes from a Memory, then something's wrong.

I didn't say that icon_neutral.gif
Not a single one of your ancestors died young. They all copulated at least once.

TubularLuggage

TubularLuggage
  • Members
  • 5,221 posts
  • Interests:Rock/Metal, Drumming, film making, my woman
QUOTE (Contrallion @ Aug 30 2006, 05:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dream Theater's Octavarium tour finale DVD came out in America today (after strangely being out in South America for a while). The second set of the performance included an orchestra. I personally thought Dream Theater's sound was great- James LaBrie's voice on many songs rivaled the studio recordings, and Octavarium (the song) was fucking incredible. The orchestra was really mediocre- I think Rudess does a better orchestral job on his keyboard than 20+ musicians with actual instruments.

Has anyone else bought it? If TubularLuggage hasn't seen it yet, then I pwn his DT-fan status.

lol, yes, I have seen Score. It's a fucking amazing DVD set, and each member of the band has an absolutely incredible performance, even by their standards. Yeah, the orchestra does sound a bit off at points, especially at points during the overture. Ruddess pwnd them pretty good. I'm also glad James didn't start weak like at the Budokan show. I'm also glad they played what's possibly my favorite song, Under A Glass Moon.
I also really liked the documentary on their history as a band.

QUOTE (Benzine @ Aug 30 2006, 07:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Octavarium is the worst DT album. They've gone done hill since SFAM and seem to keep getting worse.

No, their worst album by far is Falling Into Infinity, and Mike Portnoy actually apologized for parts of that album. Basically with FII, their label wouldn't let them release what they wanted to (SFAM) and wouldn't drop them to let them go elsewhere, until they recorded an album with more 'commercially friendly' material. Scenes was probably their best album to date. Six Degrees, which was after Scenes, was great with only a few weak moments (lyrics and voiceovers on The Great Debate for example). Octavarium was a concept album, focusing on an octive (each song starts one key up from the last, with the pre-song negative time stuff being black keys on a piano, and songs being white keys). Train Of Thought was good, but some didn't like it because of the direction. I just didn't like LaBrie's rapping. They haven't "gone downhill", they simply don't want to remake the same album each time. [/rant]

QUOTE (Contrallion @ Aug 30 2006, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QFT
IPB Image

Ninjapanese

Ninjapanese
  • Members
  • 196 posts
  • xfire:rightning
Another good band if you are into dream theater that i recently started listening to is Nevermore.

http://www.nevermore.tv/

Contrallion

Contrallion
  • Members
  • 1,778 posts
The violins in the orchestra were especially bad. They seemed out of tune for almost the entire time they were playing. The orchestra had a place in the music (unlike Metallica's S&M shitfest), since the original recordings have orchestral parts in them. A better orchestra, with more rehearsal time, would have been much better.

QUOTE (TubularLuggage @ Aug 30 2006, 03:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, their worst album by far is Falling Into Infinity, and Mike Portnoy actually apologized for parts of that album. Basically with FII, their label wouldn't let them release what they wanted to (SFAM) and wouldn't drop them to let them go elsewhere, until they recorded an album with more 'commercially friendly' material.

Here's Mike Portnoy's explanation off of Disc 2:

You know, it was frustrating and we were feeling a lot of turmoil within the band. I did not want to compromise. I wanted to stick to our guns and continue with the 12-minute songs. Some of the other guys were feeling the frustration and the temptation from the industry to maybe try things their way. And I had had enough. I said “Fuck this. This is no longer about the music, this is about the business and the industry and this isn’t fun anymore.” And I told the guys I wanted to leave towards the end of that tour...
...We sat down and talked with them, and I told them my frustrations and I had had enough and basically laid down the law. I said “If this band is gonna stay together, the label has to stay the fuck out of our music. We don’t want to work with outside producers anymore. No outside writers. The label will hear the album when it’s finished. We’re not going to them for permission on what is a hit single. If this band is gonna stay together, if this band is gonna survive, everybody get out of our way, book the studio time and let us make our fucking record.”

TubularLuggage

TubularLuggage
  • Members
  • 5,221 posts
QUOTE (Contrallion @ Aug 30 2006, 06:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's Mike Portnoy's explanation off of Disc 2:

You know, it was frustrating and we were feeling a lot of turmoil within the band. I did not want to compromise. I wanted to stick to our guns and continue with the 12-minute songs. Some of the other guys were feeling the frustration and the temptation from the industry to maybe try things their way. And I had had enough. I said “Fuck this. This is no longer about the music, this is about the business and the industry and this isn’t fun anymore.” And I told the guys I wanted to leave towards the end of that tour...
...We sat down and talked with them, and I told them my frustrations and I had had enough and basically laid down the law. I said “If this band is gonna stay together, the label has to stay the fuck out of our music. We don’t want to work with outside producers anymore. No outside writers. The label will hear the album when it’s finished. We’re not going to them for permission on what is a hit single. If this band is gonna stay together, if this band is gonna survive, everybody get out of our way, book the studio time and let us make our fucking record.”

Yeah, from that, and numerous other accounts, it's easy to see that Mike was by far the least satisfied member with this album.
IPB Image

Contrallion

Contrallion
  • Members
  • 1,778 posts
Hey check this out:
http://www.megaupload.com/fr/?d=WW0ADZM6

Ihavelazers

Ihavelazers
  • Members
  • 98 posts
  • xfire:chocokudos
Damn, MP is really mad.
IPB Image

IHAVELAZERS! <CS>

some internet person

some internet person
  • Members
  • 568 posts
Is Mariah Carey still their singer?

TubularLuggage

TubularLuggage
  • Members
  • 5,221 posts
As long as we're talking about their 20th anniversary, I think this has to be posted. It's back when they were still Majesty, playing in Portnoy's basement, with Dominici on vocals.
Not too bad considering it's 20 years ago (well, 19) with mediocre equipment in MP's basement.
IPB Image

Contrallion

Contrallion
  • Members
  • 1,778 posts
QUOTE (TubularLuggage @ Sep 2 2006, 11:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As long as we're talking about their 20th anniversary, I think this has to be posted. It's back when they were still Majesty, playing in Portnoy's basement, with Dominici on vocals.
Not too bad considering it's 20 years ago (well, 19) with mediocre equipment in MP's basement.

lol @ petrucci

Garamiah

Garamiah
  • Global Moderators
  • 6,674 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:20
Got score yesterday for my birthday. It is so good... itl hold me through till Systematic Chaos.
Freakin amazing, especially that they can play through SDOIT and Octavarium non-stop. Thats hardcore. Loved the encore aswell, my favourite song, metropolis.

Lol at that video. Good times, 20 years ago and they are were still better than half the mainstream crap that we get fed today.
QUOTE (Plasmic Fury @ Jul 11 2010, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was in the ocean and I had a frizbee, and some 8/10's were like THROW IT TO US and I just pretended I didnt hear them and swam quickly back to beach.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users