Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Tutorial Thread.

* * * * - 3 votes

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

XxSystemxX

XxSystemxX
  • Members
  • 4,521 posts
Since we dont have a tutorial sticky yet, I was thinkin'. Why the heck not open one? Post your tutorials or links to your tutorials. I will take the right (I hope the authors dont mind), to post the first two.

Photography Tutorial - Guitar_Clock

Tutorial: Simple Grunge Signature - Tubby

Scanlines - FireFly.

Lineart (in thread) - BlightedArt

Simple signature with renders (in thread) - XxSystemxX

Lightsabers In Photoshop - Firefly

Good technique for a Sig - elliotter

Cool thing to add to a picture - elliotter

sig tutorial - Tel

Psychadellic Nebula Tutorial (in thread) - Champski

sig tutorial 2 - D.Shamon

Psychadellic Aura (in thread) - Champski

Uber Micro in Photoshop (in thread) - BlightedArt

I will probably contribute some esay step-by-step ones too. If you have some (made by you, we dont want troubles cos you ripped off some website, do we?), post them eh!

pp_smiley2.gif I sincerely hope this thread gets stickied, because we have quite some good Photoshopers around, that could make some good tutorials. And another thing, lets not just stick to Photoshop, shall we? Tutorials for all art / design applications are welcome!

Stickied - Rod
Updated, 08-11-06 - BlightedArt

Edited by BlightedArt, 07 November 2006 - 05:18 PM.

Pwnstar

Pwnstar

JESUS CHRIST I AM SO FUCKING DRUNK!

• Retired Staff
  • 8,872 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:150
  • Company:Nu
How about a tutorial on how to make renders for XxSystemxX icon_lol.gif
What came first, the spamming or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos, that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids reading thousands, literally thousands of posts about anime, 4chan, flaming, goatse and emos. Did I make terrible posts because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I made terrible posts?

XxSystemxX

XxSystemxX
  • Members
  • 4,521 posts
QUOTE (Pwnstar @ Jul 11 2006, 03:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How about a tutorial on how to make renders for XxSystemxX icon_lol.gif

Lol aye, I fail at making renders. icon_smile.gif

Firefly

Firefly

I make movies, eh?

• GA Corporal
  • 5,099 posts
  • xfire:Fireflyfilms
  • Xbox / GFWL:Fireflyfilms
  • Gamer Army ID:121
  • Company:Pi
I could write a rendering tutorial.

By the way, it's Firefly. NOT FireFly.
QUOTE (Geoff @ Dec 5 2007, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, a big thanks to Firefly for shooting most of this footage.

.:: Pure Pwnage Melbourne Premiere Footage ::.

Garamiah

Garamiah
  • Global Moderators
  • 6,674 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:20
QUOTE (Firefly @ Jul 11 2006, 04:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I could write a rendering tutorial.

By the way, it's Firefly. NOT FireFly.

thats not wat ur sig says icon_razz.gif
QUOTE (Plasmic Fury @ Jul 11 2010, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was in the ocean and I had a frizbee, and some 8/10's were like THROW IT TO US and I just pretended I didnt hear them and swam quickly back to beach.

BlightedArt

BlightedArt

Busting your balls since 1987. | Best Art Contributor

• GA Private
  • 7,092 posts
  • Interests:Cartoons, animation, video games, design, indie / acoustic alternative / rock music, japanese culture, mythology, playing drums and ocarina.
  • Gamer Army ID:2866
"Blighted Arts tutorial to setting up your lineart!"

(Sorry folks, no pictures)

Requirements:
-Photoshop
-Pencil
-Pen
-paper
-scanner
-either a lightbox or a damn good light for tracing.
-half a brain, don't be fooled, I keep my half in my pocket. *shot*

Okay, first sketch your image out on paper, it's recommended you use the properconstruction techniques for what you're drawing, for example, if you're drawing a character, make sure you get the anatomy down right, and use a line-of-action (basically acts as the 'spine') to show the overall flow or shape of the character. Or if you're doing a perspective background, draw a focal point and use a ruler to plan perspective lines... Okay, now that you have you pencil sketch... Ink it. Preferrably on a separate piece of paper, you might want to buy a lightbox to make the tracing easier. After you've inked your drawing, edit it a bit before you scan it, by editing I mean you could either go back to the pencil sketch and add a couple more things, then ink, or do what I do and make some of the inked lines bolder, some bolder than others etc.

Now that that's all over with, get your scanner out... it's looking hungry yes? Well lets feed it with... ... paper... Uh... k. Well anyway, put the paper in the scanner, open photoshop. Good. Now go File > Import > (your scanner).

When you're on the scan screen you should be able to click a "Preview" button somewhere, do that, and you'll get a mock-up of your drawing. Select the very edges of your drawing for scanning (edges of the lineart, not the paper). Now you may have to go to "advanced settings" for this part:

Set the DPI (Dots Per Inch) to 300, what this means is how many pixels an image has in an inch. Say you set it to 300dpi, there'll be 300 pixels of colours in every inch on paper ( 90,000 pixels in 1" squared). This'll help with the quality of the lineart and give you a large area to work with. Then set the image type/scan type/whatever from Colour (probably the default) to Greyscale. Naturally this nullifies all colour and gives you a white-grey-black scale image. Since we're going to be getting rid of the colour either here or in photoshop, it may aswell be here, this also lowers the amount of time it'll take to scan.

Now that all this is ready, scan you image.

Now you may notice a lot of spots/dust/etc on your image, you shouldn't worry. Go to Image > Adjustments > Levels. You'll see a graph pop-up, notice that there should be two 'hills' on the graph, and three arrows at the bottom of the graph, pull the two outer arrows together to make sure they're IN BETWEEN the two hills. What this does is, originally, the hills represented the amount of which there is of that colour, the hills show that there is a lot of grey in the image that we don't want, we want a crisp black/white lineart. Now that you've dragged those arrows together, the margin becomes smaller and those greys are basically "forced" to side with either black or white. The arrow in the middle basically sets the remaining colours, drag it towards the 'white' arrow and you'll notice there'll be more black in the image. You may be thinking "wtf?" but look at it this way, if you drag the arrow to the white side, there'll be a smaller margin between 'grey' and 'white' and a larger margin between 'black' and 'grey', giving more oppurtunities for a black colour to show through. However we really don't need to know this, it's food for thought, but we just need to nullify as much grey as possible. Click OK.

Now if you zoom into the image (CTRL and + on windows) to the lineart, then hit CTRL and Z, it'll undo what we just did, don't worry, this is just to show you the drastic change that happens before and after toggling the levels. Hit CTRL & Z again to go back (if you want to keep stepping back through your history, hit CTRL & Shift & Z, then hit CTRL & Z without shift to go right back to the 'present' of your history). Now that you've done 'Redo' and the levels are once again active, you'll have that almost crisp black line. You'll notice when you zoom in that there'll be a bit of grey on the edges of the lineart, that's good, if they were completely black or white it'll look very pixellated and crisp on the image which is bad, we don't want too crispy, nor too soft.

H'okay, take a coffee break if you want.... ..... ...... .... Welcome back.

Next step, go towards the Layers panel (I think it's Window > Layers to open that if it isn't already) and you'll see a layer named "Background", it'll be locked. To unlock it just double click on the name and rename it, it'll be Layer 0 for default which's fine, but name it "Lineart" to keep yourself organised. After changing the name you'll notice the padlock isn't present anymore. Now on the Layer panel, change the Mode from "normal" to "Multiply" via the drop down menu. I'll explain the relevance in a sec.

Okay, we've got our lineart, all ready for colouring, and our lineart layer set to Multiply, now create a new layer, there is an icon for such at the bottom of the Layer Panel. Click and drag that layer underneath your Lineart Layer. Now go to Images > Mode > RGB and just click "Don't Merge" on the pop-up that appears. Now, with the new layer selected, choose a colour from your tools. Then grab the pencil tool (click and hold on the brush tool then release on "Pencil" from the dropdown menu that appears), make sure you have a colour that isn't black, white or grey, and draw a line right across the image. Yep. You heard me. Slash a line right through the image on your New layer.... .... Interesting hm? Notice that your colour shows perfectly fine over the white? Even though that white is on a layer ABOVE your colour? And yet the black still remains untouched?

The reason for this is because that layer is set to Multiply, which basically means "Make colours darker". Now white is the brightest colour you can get, so any other colour besides that is darker, ergo the white will 'give way' to every other colour on the layers underneath. Since black is the darkest colour you can get, the green is still technically showing through, but it makes the black "darker" so to speak, or atleast that's what photoshop thinks, but to us it makes no difference since it can't get darker than black... if you still don't get me then quickly make a new document with ctrl + N, choose a colour, such as green. Choose the pencil tool, then up at the top there should be a "Mode: Normal" drop down menu, change that to multiply... Okay, now draw a line, then scribble on top of that line... ... now do it again, you'll notice that there'll be three tones of green, each scribble darker than the last where it overlaps a previous line. Okay hopefully that gives you a grasp of multiply, (the opposite of multiply is Screen, making things lighter, but you can work on that yourself later). Hit CTRL + W to close that document and don't save it. Since we're back on the original image, lets keep going. Now what you can basically do on the underlying New layer (call it the colour layer) is basically put all your colours in there, without having any risk of damaging your lineart. You'll also note that even though there are greys in the lineart, that's not a problem since the "multiply" mode allows those grey pixels to be toned as appropriate to keep a smooth yet crisp outline on the image... Now colour your image in and don't forget to save as a .PSD file regularly!!!

Hope this tutorial helps. smile.gif
"Wish you were here."
- The Devil, on his tour of Georgia, U.S.

XxSystemxX

XxSystemxX
  • Members
  • 4,521 posts
A simple tut I made today. I know its gay, but I tried (the outcome is also very basic):

BlightedArt

BlightedArt

Busting your balls since 1987. | Best Art Contributor

• GA Private
  • 7,092 posts
  • Interests:Cartoons, animation, video games, design, indie / acoustic alternative / rock music, japanese culture, mythology, playing drums and ocarina.
  • Gamer Army ID:2866
My fingers hurt from typing all that biznit.
"Wish you were here."
- The Devil, on his tour of Georgia, U.S.

Firefly

Firefly

I make movies, eh?

• GA Corporal
  • 5,099 posts
Video tutorials ftw! icon_razz.gif

brokenman

brokenman
  • Members
  • 9 posts
alright tuts. Good for people just starting.

XxSystemxX

XxSystemxX
  • Members
  • 4,521 posts
Tutorial Lightsaber in Photoshop. - Firefly.

D.Shamon

D.Shamon
  • Members
  • 475 posts
  • Interests:Starcraft, Learning More stuff in Photoshop, Playing RPG PS2 Games, Watching New Pure Pwnage Episodes.
QUOTE (XxSystemxX @ Jul 11 2006, 11:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A simple tut I made today. I know its gay, but I tried (the outcome is also very basic):

Here's my Very First banner using your Simple Tutorial.

How is it for a First Timer? icon_razz.gif
IPB Image

XxSystemxX

XxSystemxX
  • Members
  • 4,521 posts
QUOTE (D.Shamon @ Jul 13 2006, 08:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice! Keep trying and get some good tutorials. Its great for a first timer. The background doesnt really match though.

D.Shamon

D.Shamon
  • Members
  • 475 posts
  • Interests:Starcraft, Learning More stuff in Photoshop, Playing RPG PS2 Games, Watching New Pure Pwnage Episodes.
QUOTE (XxSystemxX @ Jul 13 2006, 11:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice! Keep trying and get some good tutorials. Its great for a first timer. The background doesnt really match though.

Thanks! I'll try another one Right Away.
Would black + Grey instead of Red + Black suited it better?

EDIT: How do I install deviant ART Brushes?
EDIT x2: Oh nvm that, I Googled the Answer =p

Here's my Second try. I suck at Rendering!

IPB Image

borgleader

borgleader
  • Members
  • 3,083 posts
  • xfire:borgleader
  • Xbox / GFWL:borg leader 03
It would be cool if someone made a tutorial on how to make "lasers" but y'know general ones like :

Those from the phaser's from star trek (both ship and hand guns)
Those froms tar wars (we've got the lightsabers covered we need some ranged weapons icon_wink.gif)

I guess it wold be a bit more complicated to do as you have to solve the "width" problem here, because a phaser laser is much bigger than that of a gun...But it would be interesting IMO

By lil hades 87

Firefly

Firefly

I make movies, eh?

• GA Corporal
  • 5,099 posts
QUOTE (borgleader @ Jul 15 2006, 04:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It would be cool if someone made a tutorial on how to make "lasers" but y'know general ones like :

Those from the phaser's from star trek (both ship and hand guns)
Those froms tar wars (we've got the lightsabers covered we need some ranged weapons icon_wink.gif)

I guess it wold be a bit more complicated to do as you have to solve the "width" problem here, because a phaser laser is much bigger than that of a gun...But it would be interesting IMO

I can do it when I get some free time.

Garamiah

Garamiah
  • Global Moderators
  • 6,674 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:20
QUOTE (D.Shamon @ Jul 13 2006, 08:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that friggin pwns

i need a new sig, il get round to makin one...
QUOTE (Plasmic Fury @ Jul 11 2010, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was in the ocean and I had a frizbee, and some 8/10's were like THROW IT TO US and I just pretended I didnt hear them and swam quickly back to beach.

Meshuggah

Meshuggah
  • Members
  • 0 posts
  • xfire:meshuggah1166
Dual Stroked Text
QUOTE (Orky @ Jul 18 2006, 08:13 AM) View Post
Remember that "invention" thread and I said I'd have every monitor installed with a secret fist in the monitor that would shatter it to pieces when it flew out and knocked the kid in the face?

...Here's me wishing I patented it just a bit earlier before you bought your monitor.

Champski

Champski
  • Members
  • 1,241 posts
  • xfire:champski
  • Interests:drumming, gaming, lazing around
This is the first tutorial I've written, so forgive me if I've done something wrong. icon_biggrin.gif

I was mucking around on ps and ended up making this sort of cloudy psychedelic nebula, but I put more effort into this one than the little tuft I did on my ape picture, so I'll do my best. icon_biggrin.gif

1. Start by making a new document, that always helps. I made mine nice and wide, 2000 by 1000.

2. Fill the background layer with black, then go filter>noise>add noise and make the amount 14; choose gaussian and check monchromatic also. (you don't need to use 14, that's just what I used, tweak it if you want.)

3. make a new layer, and get out the polygon lasso tool. Make a spikey shape on the page something like the picture.

It doesn't matter if the lines go over each other either, it doesn't make a hell of a lot of difference, but you can try it if you want.

4. Pick an colour that you'd like to fill the shape with, I'm making this one a bright orange, the colour I used was #e39b00.

5. Keeping the shape selected, get out the brush tool and select a soft brush, about 85 px, and set the flow to 10%. Pick a lighter shade of the colour you filled you shape with, and brush in different places across the shape, varying the size and shade as you go. You can also dodge and burn if you'd rather do that. This is what I have so far.

6. Deselect the image, and look in awe at your fantastic nebula.

still needs a bit of work, doesn't it?

Go filter>distort>wave, and use the default settings on sine. Then, go edit>fade wave, and fade the wave on normal mode at 50% opacity. Then, go to wave again, but randomize it so you get a different wave to before. The fade again at 50%, and then another random wave, and so on. Keep repeating those two steps over and over, until you find something you're happy with; it will eventually get wispy like a cloud. This is what Ive got so far after a bit of mucking around.

If you feel the cloud you just made is a bit small, you can try what I did, which was duplicate the layer, swing it around a bit, and put the mode on Linear Dodge, which will give it a more golden looking colour on the other side, assuming youre using the colours I did.

7. Now you can make another one on the other side if you want, I made another shape using a pinky red this time, the colour I used was e30096. After the shading, waving and fading, this is what I got.

Once again, if you find it too small, duplicate the cloud layer and swing it around. Set the layer to Linear Dodge and assuming you're using the same colours as me again, it'll give the cloud more of a musky purple colour.

To finish it off, I looked at a few nebula pictures and saw some of them had weird little rings in the middle, so I decided to have a crack at them too, to finish it off.

8. Make a new layer on top of everything else and get out the Elipse tool. Set it to path, and set your brush to about 7, making sure your flow is at 100%. I chose a bright blue colour for this, just to make sure none of the previous colours match at all. icon_biggrin.gif

Make small rings around the middle, and stroke them using the bush tool. Dodge and burn for shading, or add different colours to the rings. Use the wave and fade technique on the rings until you're happy. Then, I changed the colour a bit afterwards anyway to make it a bit brighter. Duplicate that layer you've just "techniqued", and gaussian blur it until it looks like it's glowing. Merge the blurred layer down so there's only one rings layer. Then transform that down a bit so it's smaller, then duplicate that layer. Transform that so it's bigger than the small one by about two times, then get out the eraser, and with about 10% flow, erase the middle so you can see the small one through the big one. Merge those two layers so once again, there is only one ring layer.

9. Finally all I did was duplicate the original two clouds and gaussian blur them until they "glowed". You know when you're tired and everything goes blurry? Like that icon_biggrin.gif.

This is my finish product.

Here's another result I got simply by mucking around with the colours and shapes.

elliotter

elliotter
  • Members
  • 1,753 posts
  • xfire:elliotter
  • Interests:Guitar, gaming, music, and friends
Nice effect! Ill have to try this later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users