Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Am i missing something here?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

Master C

Master C
  • Members
  • 5,511 posts
  • xfire:masterca
  • Xbox / GFWL:Renegade Con
  • Wii:4710238335790963
  • Rofl-Rupees:7
QUOTE (ShiZ @ Jul 7 2006, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wouldn't expect everyone to jump on and enjoy SC nowadays, it is getting a bit old (not saying that's bad). Tbh you can't really expect a new person to appreciate SC for what it is now, there's all other games out etc.. I guess it's kinda like 1.6, all the old players stick with it, newer ones are looking at the newer games.

Meh. If they brought out a SC2 that was better than the previous in every single way, there would still be so called old 'hardcore' games playing purely for the reason that they are reluctant to change. Because thats what people are like and thats part of the reason SC is popular still.

Also (Frito) stop comparing it to chess. Not only have you used this in every SC post I have seen, Chess sucks. So Boooooooooooring. Jesus Risk is ten times better than Chess.

Fritobag

Fritobag

R.I.P Troy "T-Bag" Dixon

• Retired Staff
  • 4,342 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:134
QUOTE (Master C @ Jul 7 2006, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Meh. If they brought out a SC2 that was better than the previous in every single way, there would still be so called old 'hardcore' games playing purely for the reason that they are reluctant to change. Because thats what people are like and thats part of the reason SC is popular still.

Also (Frito) stop comparing it to chess. Not only have you used this in every SC post I have seen, Chess sucks. So Boooooooooooring. Jesus Risk is ten times better than Chess.

It's a proper comparison. The mechanics are different and that is all.

And yes, Risk is a great game also. Though, I've never gotten or attempted a full game because my friends get bored. And Chess does not suck. Go play checkers ok? It'll do well with your particular brain size.
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin.
I offer SC2 coaching for $25/hr, msg if interested :)

Master C

Master C
  • Members
  • 5,511 posts
Wow thats a big assumption seeing as you have never met me. Just because I dont like Chess?

Fritobag

Fritobag

R.I.P Troy "T-Bag" Dixon

• Retired Staff
  • 4,342 posts
QUOTE (Master C @ Jul 7 2006, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow thats a big assumption seeing as you have never met me. Just because I dont like Chess?

Apologies. But you can't bash on Chess! lol ;/

Don't make me compare Risk to Chess... ;/
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin.

Master C

Master C
  • Members
  • 5,511 posts
icon_biggrin.gif Apology accepted.

Please do!!

icon_lol.gif

Nemesis.cF-

Nemesis.cF-
  • Members
  • 1,935 posts
  • xfire:nemesiscf
  • Interests:pwning pretty much all RTS games, some FPS once in a while.. even some RPG's.. oh, and i like computers too....did i mension i pwn?
/sigh.. chess is leik teh pwn.. but sc is leik teh check mate

-.- frito stop avoiding teh question ph00l

LAN's attended: i31, Xleague.TV CNC3 Invitational, WCG UK 2007, ESWC UK 2007, The Gathering 2008, The SGL Summer Slam, ESWC UK 2008, LlamaLan 9, ESWC Grand Finals 2008, SparkLAN 5, LlamaLAN 10, ESL Intel Friday Night Game UK #1, ESL Intel Friday Night Game UK #2, ESL Pro Series UK Finals Season 2, SparkLAN 6, LlamaLAN 11, i38
LAN's attending:i39, Gadget Show Live 2010, LlamaLan 12

hackerwacker

hackerwacker
  • Banned
  • 4,590 posts
  • Interests:Stuff that goes boom
  • Gamer Army ID:220
QUOTE (Fritobag @ Jul 7 2006, 05:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually, I've played starcraft for about 7-8 yrs now I think. Around since it came out. I'll say it again: it's equivilent to chess in the video gaming world. The game is dynamic, always changing in what people use as common strategies/tactics and the maps also alter how people play.

*snip*

everything you said is fine and dandy, but I am not trying to say that starcraft is a bad game or a low-skill game. Infact, it was a milestone for modern rts games. However, the point i am trying to make is that there are so many newer and better games that are out now. I am sick and tired of hearing 'starcraft pwns' or 'omg koreans play it on tv it must be good".

Starcraft itself has become vogue. and it gets rather sickening.

edit: I'm not a brit...wtf is a dog's bollox? Is that it's bumhole?!

its the nutsack pp_smiley6.gif

Fritobag

Fritobag

R.I.P Troy "T-Bag" Dixon

• Retired Staff
  • 4,342 posts
QUOTE (hackerwacker @ Jul 7 2006, 09:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
everything you said is fine and dandy, but I am not trying to say that starcraft is a bad game or a low-skill game. Infact, it was a milestone for modern rts games. However, the point i am trying to make is that there are so many newer and better games that are out now. I am sick and tired of hearing 'starcraft pwns' or 'omg koreans play it on tv it must be good".

Starcraft itself has become vogue. and it gets rather sickening.
its the nutsack pp_smiley6.gif

Saying games are "better" is opinion. Games can't be compared to one another in that sense. They're each they're own game. Except in very rare cases of course.

Garamiah

Garamiah
  • Global Moderators
  • 6,674 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:20
QUOTE (hackerwacker @ Jul 6 2006, 11:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Many starcraft players have been playing the game for years; perfecting every part of their B.O. and parcticing for hours and hours to increase their micro and apm to an amazing level. But what would happen if any of these top Starcraft players tried playing another game, such as Dawn of War? I garuntee you they would get their ass kicked

definitely not. learning an RTS to the level that they are at with help immensly in switching. its not just the game that the pros learn. its the train of thought, the hand movements, the combination of mouse and keyboard being used effieciently at teh same time. its the motivation to keep playing to get to that level. there is so much more to rts than learning the game. i can tell you for fact, that i can learn ever strat and BO in starcraft and STILL get pwned by anyone on B.net. this is because its instinct that makes a pro gamer wat he is. take Boxer for example. i know people hate examples involving boxer, but this is a place where he is called for. Boxer does some of the craziest shit that has ever been seen in starcraft. things that some people would never of dreamed to do. but he manages to pull it off because of his knowledge of the mechanics of the game, and his instincts. sure, if the sc elitests switched to DoW they wont be the top shit they were on sc. but it wont be long before they are at the top of the ladder.

QUOTE (MrBlanks @ Jul 7 2006, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thats not true! I remember owning up Evolves because newbs would come in and not make the right built. Hehe I haven't p;ayed SC UMS in such a long time.

rofl, you dont have builds in evolves icon_razz.gif

tbh, starcraft IS overrated, but not to the extent that everyone makes out. its is a VERY good game. i would write about it but nem summed it up pretty well a few posts above.
@ topic starter, give it another chance and dont be a graphics whore icon_wink.gif
QUOTE (Plasmic Fury @ Jul 11 2010, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was in the ocean and I had a frizbee, and some 8/10's were like THROW IT TO US and I just pretended I didnt hear them and swam quickly back to beach.

hackerwacker

hackerwacker
  • Banned
  • 4,590 posts
  • Interests:Stuff that goes boom
  • Gamer Army ID:220
QUOTE (Garamiah @ Jul 7 2006, 11:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
its instinct that makes a pro gamer wat he is.

somebody has been watching too much pure pwnage icon_neutral.gif

Besides, read my last post plz.

SliCk.cF-

SliCk.cF-
  • Members
  • 60 posts
LoL DOGS BOLLOCKS MAN!!

It's like... the east end way of saying "teh pwnage"

I'm not really a major gamer so i don't choose to use these dodgy words ^^

Sorry bare with my slang ;p
IPB Image

Nemesis.cF-

Nemesis.cF-
  • Members
  • 1,935 posts
  • Interests:pwning pretty much all RTS games, some FPS once in a while.. even some RPG's.. oh, and i like computers too....did i mension i pwn?
QUOTE (hackerwacker @ Jul 8 2006, 02:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

*awaiting huge document the size of mine explaining what makes the game the best RTS out there*

until some1 provides me with 1 i think you gotta accept tht SC is the best RTS.. when some1 else produces something with all these reasons..coz no1 else is stating their case of another game which is better...

lawl, teh dogs bollax aint just used in east london slick xD.

LAN's attended: i31, Xleague.TV CNC3 Invitational, WCG UK 2007, ESWC UK 2007, The Gathering 2008, The SGL Summer Slam, ESWC UK 2008, LlamaLan 9, ESWC Grand Finals 2008, SparkLAN 5, LlamaLAN 10, ESL Intel Friday Night Game UK #1, ESL Intel Friday Night Game UK #2, ESL Pro Series UK Finals Season 2, SparkLAN 6, LlamaLAN 11, i38

kmjnhb

kmjnhb
  • Members
  • 2,327 posts
  • xfire:kmjnhb
  • Interests:games, world history, mythology, religion and culture, anime, food.
  • Steam ID:Hallvardgn
  • Xbox / GFWL:BEER4Hallvard
If I where to call my opinions facts as many sc players does, I would have to say that the best rts games are AoE2:Conquerors, RTW and bfme2 (in that order)...

TheHumannBee

TheHumannBee
  • Banned
  • 790 posts
  • xfire:tehhumannbee
I'd have to say you're way wrong.

AoE2 rocks, but compared to SC is.... icon_neutral.gif

RTW is really fun but I consider it a TBS. The TBS part IMO is more fun and a larger part of the game.

BFME2 is just like short 5 minute games where you pwn with a couple units....not my idea of fun.
IPB Image

Nemesis.cF-

Nemesis.cF-
  • Members
  • 1,935 posts
QUOTE (kmjnhb @ Jul 8 2006, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I where to call my opinions facts as many sc players does, I would have to say that the best rts games are AoE2:Conquerors, RTW and bfme2 (in that order)...

RTW gets too repetative.. and the single player seemed to bore me after afew hours.. its a good game, but it lakcs replayability.

Brave_Zealot

Brave_Zealot
  • Members
  • 1,031 posts
  • xfire:bravezealot
  • Interests:gosu wannabe<br />maybe someday
if you like aoe2, how can you not like sc and vice versa? thats what i'm struggling to find out...
(not to mention star wars battlegrounds, which uses a virtually identical game engine)

but what nem said about replayability is true...not to mention the versatility of the map editor...I mean hell, if you can make fully functional rpg maps just with the provided editor, not to mention how much you can alter thr gameplay with the modded one...

and what we see here is that the sc fans provide fully functional arguments stating how great the game is, while the others just point out its subtle flaws or their personal dislike.

just the mere fact that I am typing this myself makes this statement not neccesarily a fact[/fact] but an [i]opinion
(get the irony?)

Differentiate between fact and opinion:
1. Starcraft came out in 1998 - fact
2. Starcraft is the greatest game ever - majority opinion

Bandwagon wins! w00t!

.Dom4x

.Dom4x
  • Members
  • 45 posts
QUOTE (Nemesis.cF- @ Jul 7 2006, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you cant suck at ums ^_^

hahaha QFT, i wasted 3 years of sc (2001-2004) playing all different ums maps like rpgs, defense, golems, bounds, diplo's , you name it. then i stopped playing and started playing fps. and just about 6 months ago i started playing again and joined a clan that made me realize the importance of the micro/macro, so i am a complete n00b once again. this is so off topic.

kmjnhb

kmjnhb
  • Members
  • 2,327 posts
  • xfire:kmjnhb
  • Interests:games, world history, mythology, religion and culture, anime, food.
  • Steam ID:Hallvardgn
  • Xbox / GFWL:BEER4Hallvard
QUOTE (Brave_Zealot @ Jul 8 2006, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if you like aoe2, how can you not like sc and vice versa? thats what i'm struggling to find out...
(not to mention star wars battlegrounds, which uses a virtually identical game engine)
one of the main-reasons is becasue I just can't stand sci-fi games... it makes me puke... it's just so lame in my opinion... aliens, lasers, space-ships... if the game has any of those, I probably wount like it...

QUOTE (Brave_Zealot @ Jul 8 2006, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Differentiate between fact and opinion:
1. Starcraft came out in 1998 - fact
2. Starcraft is the greatest game ever - majority opinion
My point is that a lot of sc fanboys think that their opinions are facts...

oh and btw, Nemesis, AoE (1) have a editor where you can use triggers to make custom campaigns and scenarios ... and since it came out before Starcraft the following is wrong:
QUOTE (Nemesis.cF- @ Jul 7 2006, 12:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Starcraft pretty much invented custom maps, it was possibly the 1st game ever with "triggers" allowing you to make all sorts of effects. All games before only allowed you to make a map then play it normally.

j-tak

j-tak
  • GA Private
  • 1,328 posts
  • xfire:cky852k
  • Steam ID:cky852k
  • Xbox / GFWL:jojo852k
  • PSN:jojo852k
  • Gamer Army ID:153
  • Company:Gamma
QUOTE (Zell @ Jul 7 2006, 03:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...correction...I'm going to kill all of you starcraft haters....

actually, most of the posts against starcraft are saying its overated not that its crap (a few r saying its crap though)

IMO it is overated but i cant say its crap coz so many people play it,

its excatly like all forms of entertainment (music especially) for example, the beatles are the most overated band ever IMO, but they wernt crap

SliCk.cF-

SliCk.cF-
  • Members
  • 60 posts
Beatles suck d00d ^^

SC:BW isn't overrated i don't think it's just the koreans love it so much to turn it into a sport and many RTS lovers find it the best RTS to play

Overrated? Maybe explain overrated and then explain how SC:BW is overated ^^
IPB Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users