Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Need help picking out a (cough)Gaming laptop

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

CrackHead

CrackHead
  • Members
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Smoking weed, seeling weed, snorting coke/ cocaine, dealing crack/ cocaine, eating, uhhhhhh sleeping..........I said weed right
Ok so I need a laptop fuck a shuttle and I ain't draging a PC around and it is just alot more convieant to have this little thing compared to my pc case screen keyboard and everything else. So please I know it is about 3 times cheaper in the long run to build it myself but I'm going finance which ever one i get and I can't do that threw newegg. I no I'm a major haxors newb for this but I'm also a poor bastard with a love for gaming.

First my fav just to give you a feel for why this is dificult Paint is not my friend BTW you will see what I mean

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Alienware Aurora m9700~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is the Alienware Aurora m9700 if only it was a women icon_surprised.gif anyway here are teh crazy specs

AMD Turion 64 Mobile ML44 2.4GHz 800MHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache brian.png
2GB Dual Channel DDR SO-DIMM at 400MHz - 2 x 1024MB
160GB (80GB x 2) Serial ATA 1.5Gb/s 7,200 RPM w/ NCQ & 8MB Cache RAID 0 pp_smiley7.gif
Dual 256MB NVidia® GeForce™ Go 7900 GS - SLI Enabled icon_eek.gif icon_eek.gif icon_eek.gif icon_eek.gif

Big HD looks the best and i hate little keyboards so that is definatly a + and it is skinny unlike 2 of the others

total
$3,463.00/tear = $104/month for 33 months
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~XPS~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Next is always a crowd favorite The Dell XPS M1710 I think every one here has seen the gay commercials

specs
Intel® Core Duo Processor T2700 (2MB Cache/2.33GHz/667MHz FSB)
2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHZ, 2 DIMM
100GB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive icon_sad.gif down.gif
512MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7900 GTX pp_smiley7.gif omfgdatspurepwnage.gif

The media direct thing is like a media center without Microshaft getting in the way allowing it to play cds,dvds,music which is cool The GTX makes me want to shit myself but then the HD is tiny. Then of course that fucking small piece of shit keyboard is always annoying and of course it is Dell but my brother has a dell laptop not an XPS which is pretty nice and he has had it for about a year and no problems with it yet.

total
$3,759 icon_sad.gif $113/month for 33 months

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Alienware MJ-12 m7700i~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

specs
Intel Pentium 4 660 Desktop Processor w/ HT Technology 3.6GHz 800MHz FSB 2MB
2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SO-DIMM at 533MHz
160GB (80GB x 2) ATA/100 7,200 RPM RAID 0
256MB NVidia® GeForce™ Go 7900 GTX

This one isn't as cool looking as the others. Got a big keyboard just like the first same size HD and 2GB of DDR2

Total
$3,919.00 = $118/month for u guessed it 33 months

Please tell me what you think about all of them which one you would want and so on and so forth.

speed e win

speed e win
  • Banned
  • 1,138 posts
  • xfire:speedewin
I dont know much about hardware, but I'd say go with the first one or the last one. I'm just saying that because they look pretty.
............/´¯/).. ..........(\¯`\
............/....//. .............\\....\
.........../....//.. ..............\\.... \
...../´¯/..../´¯\... ......../¯`\....\¯`\
.././.../..../..../. |_......_|.\....\... .\...\.\..
(.(....(....(..../.) ..)..(..(.\....).... )....).)
.\................\/ .../....\...\/...... ........../
..\................. /........\.......... ......../
....\..............( ............)....... ......./

THE UPRISING

Tendrax

Tendrax
  • GA Corporal
  • 6,237 posts
  • xfire:tendrax6(but I don't use it anymore)
  • Steam ID:Tendrax
  • Gamer Army ID:1000
No, I didn't look at any of the specs. I like the first one the best. Hopefully Komet or Evol will come along and help ya out.

[EDIT: Looked at the specs, I still say the first one, or the second one. I don't see why the dell is even on there with the smaller keyboard and HDD.]
Posted Image

CrackHead

CrackHead
  • Members
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Smoking weed, seeling weed, snorting coke/ cocaine, dealing crack/ cocaine, eating, uhhhhhh sleeping..........I said weed right
QUOTE (Tendrax @ Jul 1 2006, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, I didn't look at any of the specs. I like the first one the best. Hopefully Komet or Evol will come along and help ya out.

[EDIT: Looked at the specs, I still say the first one, or the second one. I don't see why the dell is even on there with the smaller keyboard and HDD.]

The first one definatly looks the best and it is the cheapest but I do not no about the cpu and SLI 7900 GS's.

Mostly because of the 512 7900 GTX that thing is crazy.

Sry I had the wrong pic for the XPS

For Evol or Komet would a 5,400 RPM HD in RAID 0 be to slow for gaming?

Spiko

Spiko
  • Members
  • 31 posts
When it comes to laptop gaming Alienware would be a safe bet. They are built with pretty much one thing in mind so I would go with that.

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
QUOTE (speed e win @ Jul 1 2006, 08:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dont know much about hardware, but I'd say go with the first one or the last one. I'm just saying that because they look pretty.

I'd run and hide before Komet gets you if I were you...

Anyway, a 7900GTX is just overkill for a laptop IMO. The consume a lot of power.
Processor wise, you'll be way better off waiting for Conroe.
Screensize wise, 17" Screen is BIG but comes with a nicer keyboard (though there are plenty of alternatives)
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 15.4" icon_smile.gif

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

CrackHead

CrackHead
  • Members
  • 385 posts
QUOTE (Weiman @ Jul 1 2006, 01:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Anyway, a 7900GTX is just overkill for a laptop IMO. The consume a lot of power.
Processor wise, you'll be way better off waiting for Conroe.
Screensize wise, 17" Screen is BIG but comes with a nicer keyboard (though there are plenty of alternatives)
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 15.4" icon_smile.gif

I know Komet will prob have my ass before he anwsers me. Isn't the release on Conrose still July 24 or is that the drop in AMD price? You have to think that I'm going to be gaming (god help me) on it. They have a 19" laptop and it is like 5grand with SLI 7900 GTX.

evol262

evol262

MotM Dec 2005 teh_burninator / Keeping n00bs at bay

• GA Private
  • 5,804 posts
  • xfire:evol262
  • Gamer Army ID:548
Turions are awful, and all those systems are ludicrously overpriced (plus getting terrible battery life). If you want a desktop portable, go for it. I'd say just stop being lazy and carry your desktop. If you want a good laptop that's very fast, with excellent battery life, light, and thin, get an Acer Ferrari. They only go up to X1600 mobiles last time I saw, but you're not planning on running F.E.A.R. at max detail or something, are you? They're reasonable gaming machines, and ginormous screens just kill your battery. Go look at this, this, or this. If you really insist on getting a ludicrously huge laptop, go check Sager, since Alienwares are just rebranded Sagers with a paint job and a big markup.
CODE
while(!asleep()) {
                    sheep++;
}

SpikeTheWarlord

SpikeTheWarlord
  • Members
  • 795 posts
your bettery life will be like 30 seconds with all that stuff. They all look good, I think the first one with SLI videocards will get you the best FPS. for the price of it, you could probobly get two equal desktops (if not better) than this. I cant really give you too mcuh advice, except if you wait for conroe, their processors will give you better battery life and stuff. Try looking at Acer laptops too. they are good.
IPB Imagelol wow I played alot of wc3.
IPB Image

CrackHead

CrackHead
  • Members
  • 385 posts
QUOTE (evol262 @ Jul 1 2006, 02:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Turions are awful, and all those systems are ludicrously overpriced (plus getting terrible battery life). If you want a desktop portable, go for it. I'd say just stop being lazy and carry your desktop. If you want a good laptop that's very fast, with excellent battery life, light, and thin, get an Acer Ferrari. They only go up to X1600 mobiles last time I saw, but you're not planning on running F.E.A.R. at max detail or something, are you? They're reasonable gaming machines, and ginormous screens just kill your battery. Go look at this, this, or this. If you really insist on getting a ludicrously huge laptop, go check Sager, since Alienwares are just rebranded Sagers with a paint job and a big markup.

How exactly are they bad? You do not understand would you want to bring a big metal case from parents to parents house and on vacation. Plus it is just alot easier to have everything in one small package instead of having to carry the case, keyboard, mouse, and a fucking screen. I know it isn't worth it in the long run but I can pay monthly and I can not do that if I build it myself I am looking at the Sagers and they look pretty good except those tiny HDs.

QUOTE (SpikeTheWarlord @ Jul 1 2006, 02:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
your bettery life will be like 30 seconds with all that stuff. They all look good, I think the first one with SLI videocards will get you the best FPS. for the price of it, you could probobly get two equal desktops (if not better) than this. I cant really give you too mcuh advice, except if you wait for conroe, their processors will give you better battery life and stuff. Try looking at Acer laptops too. they are good.

I know believe me but like I said before I need to move it around ALOT but if I buy all the parts I can not pay monthly like I am going to do with these. The kind of system I am going to get from these would prob cost $1,500 on newegg. I can not drop that kind of money up front.

stabhappy

stabhappy
  • Banned
  • 5,345 posts
  • xfire:101headshotcruiser
  • Interests:Computing<br />Gaming<br />Music/Guitar<br /><br />http://myspace.com/maffuwilliams
Why not build an amazing pc for 1/4 the value, cram it in a shuttle sized system, and use the rest of the money to buy a setup of monitor/speaker/keyboard/mouse etc at both houses?
Core2Duo e6400@3.2GHZ, 42°C | GigaByte DS3 Rev2 @1.6FSB. | 2GB Gskill DDR2-800
2x 250GB Seagate Barracuda | 7600GT | OCZ GameXStream 600W 72A psu | Antec 900 | Tuniq Tower 120
Servage.net</a> (Available worldwide. Huge usage limits.)

CrackHead

CrackHead
  • Members
  • 385 posts
I would also be taking it to my friends alot this summer, grandparents, family, PB camp I'm staying at a PB camp for 2 weeks u want me to bring my PC there? LAN partys are always crowded enough laptop would make it easy.

evol262

evol262

MotM Dec 2005 teh_burninator / Keeping n00bs at bay

• GA Private
  • 5,804 posts
  • xfire:evol262
  • Gamer Army ID:548
Would I want to carry my system? Sure. I do it often enough anyway.

That being said, really, just get one of the Acers. Performance is certainly good enough, and it's not excessively large, heavy, or expensive. By the time it struggles, your Sager/whatever that cost twice as much would also be struggling. Once you get a laptop, you'll really wish it weren't a desktop replacement.
CODE
while(!asleep()) {
                    sheep++;
}

Komet

Komet

PPFA 2006: Best HW&SW teh_overclockerer

• GA Corporal
  • 9,425 posts
  • xfire:theredkomet
  • Wii:7734541838954115
  • Gamer Army ID:128
QUOTE (Tendrax @ Jul 1 2006, 11:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hopefully Komet or Evol will come along and help ya out.
QUOTE (CrackHead @ Jul 1 2006, 11:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For Evol or Komet would a 5,400 RPM HD in RAID 0 be to slow for gaming?
No it will be plenty quick.
QUOTE (Weiman @ Jul 1 2006, 11:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (CrackHead @ Jul 1 2006, 11:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know Komet will prob have my ass before he anwsers me
icon_lol.gif I'm so notorious! Hey now, I'm usually fairly reasonable. Usually. icon_razz.gif

Anywho, I'm going to have to agree with evol on this one. Laptops will never be able to truly compete with desktops, and taking one to a lan is only good in theory until you're there and the bitch is overheating/not working/whatever. Seriously, carrying a shuttle around is no more of a hassle than a PS2 or other console, and you'll not only save money but have a competent system for what you want to do. Hell, for $3k you could have a kick ass shuttle gaming PC and a little non-gaming laptop as well. I know it sounds like having an everything in one is a great idea right now, but later you'll realize the price you pay. Regardless, either the Sager or Acer laptops will serve you well. An x1600 is pretty darn powerful.

CrackHead

CrackHead
  • Members
  • 385 posts
QUOTE (Komet @ Jul 1 2006, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No it will be plenty quick. icon_lol.gif I'm so notorious! Hey now, I'm usually fairly reasonable. Usually. icon_razz.gif
Anywho, I'm going to have to agree with evol on this one. Laptops will never be able to truly compete with desktops, and taking one to a lan is only good in theory until you're there and the bitch is overheating/not working/whatever. Seriously, carrying a shuttle around is no more of a hassle than a PS2 or other console, and you'll not only save money but have a competent system for what you want to do. Hell, for $3k you could have a kick ass shuttle gaming PC and a little non-gaming laptop as well. I know it sounds like having an everything in one is a great idea right now, but later you'll realize the price you pay. Regardless, either the Sager or Acer laptops will serve you well. An x1600 is pretty darn powerful.

The only prob is that it is much much much more convieant to finance it month by motnh then drop all that money right now.

IA-HonersStodnt

IA-HonersStodnt
  • Banned
  • 1,026 posts
  • Interests:Programming, paintball, sex
dude, you want something easy? get a fulll tower computer case... mod like a 15" LCD in the side of it as a monitor, and put like a fold out keyboard mod'd into the bottom. that would be pimped to hell. wire tie the power cords together, permanently connect the mouse to a USB header on the motherboard, and just give it like a mouse holster on the side. That way, everything is always connect, all you need to do is add some power and ethernet. It would weigh like 50 LBS, but it would be sweet as all hell.

piggyspizza

piggyspizza
  • Members
  • 3,170 posts
  • xfire:piggyspizza
  • Interests:Guitar<br />Gaming<br />Computers<br />Friends
  • Xbox / GFWL:Shwanzig
  • Wii:7168706976063002
i got the third one its good but IT PUTS OFF HEAT LIKE NO OTHER if i get another gaming laptop (big possibility) im going for a thinner alienware like your first one
Crysis isn't a game, it's a benchmark.

DHC

DHC

e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0

• Retired Staff
  • 12,731 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:31
  • Company:Kilo
assuming he already is aware that desktops will perform better in every way, and he is set in his decision to get a gaming laptop...

then i recommend checking cyberpowersystem - they have a lot of fun options that are very reasonably priced

speed e win

speed e win
  • Banned
  • 1,138 posts
  • xfire:speedewin
QUOTE (IA-HonersStodnt @ Jul 1 2006, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
dude, you want something easy? get a fulll tower computer case... mod like a 15" LCD in the side of it as a monitor, and put like a fold out keyboard mod'd into the bottom. that would be pimped to hell. wire tie the power cords together, permanently connect the mouse to a USB header on the motherboard, and just give it like a mouse holster on the side. That way, everything is always connect, all you need to do is add some power and ethernet. It would weigh like 50 LBS, but it would be sweet as all hell.

Easy? that looks complicated as hell to me. But I bet that the end result would be sweet looking. The main problem I see with that is that I can imagine that cooling would probably be a bitch. well, not to mention the knowledge to get it all mounted properly.
............/´¯/).. ..........(\¯`\
............/....//. .............\\....\
.........../....//.. ..............\\.... \
...../´¯/..../´¯\... ......../¯`\....\¯`\
.././.../..../..../. |_......_|.\....\... .\...\.\..
(.(....(....(..../.) ..)..(..(.\....).... )....).)
.\................\/ .../....\...\/...... ........../
..\................. /........\.......... ......../
....\..............( ............)....... ......./

THE UPRISING

SpikeTheWarlord

SpikeTheWarlord
  • Members
  • 795 posts
QUOTE (piggyspizza @ Jul 1 2006, 10:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i got the third one its good but IT PUTS OFF HEAT LIKE NO OTHER if i get another gaming laptop (big possibility) im going for a thinner alienware like your first one

why the HELL would you need two gaming laptops???
IPB Imagelol wow I played alot of wc3.
IPB Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users