Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

First RTS Game

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

The Lord

The Lord
  • Members
  • 51 posts
I am thinking on getting into the whole RTS thing so could u guys recommend a game for me to get started with?
LOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL
user posted image

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,901 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
I think we already gave a guy this advice, but whatever.

I recommend Redalert 2, it should be fairly cheap and it's fun, teachess you micro because rescources are pretty limited.

I also recommend Age of empires 2 for learning how to deal with rescources.

also don't get Settlers, it's boring as hell IMO.

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

MeTroiD

MeTroiD
  • Retired Staff
  • 3,457 posts
  • Interests:Starcraft, Metroid games, Nintendo, Guitar, Hockey (Maple Leafs fan), Basketball (Toronto Raptors), music includes metallica, dragonforce, trivium, megadeth, pantera and MeTroiD Metal. favourite game of all time is super metroid, love LOTR movies, simply enjoy a nice time chilling with my friends going out to eat or drink (i don't drink but keep them company of course) or just chilling at someones place, watching stuff, talking or playing Wii sports which is the next best new thing to do :) oh and megaman because MegamanXLanDarkZero said so :)
  • Xbox / GFWL:The Man Toss
  • Wii:2302372127657498
blizzad rts's maybe??

starcraft is nice and cheap

Pressure

Pressure
  • Members
  • 336 posts
Red Alert

Star Craft is poop.

Xioyux

Xioyux
  • Members
  • 54 posts
  • xfire:xioyux
Red Alert? If he gets Red Alert he'll never wanna play an RTS again. Get something nice and new such as Warhammer 40k, Warcraft III Battle Chest, Empire Earth 2, Act of War: Direct action (see review on gamespot)... Dont get 4-year-old Red Alert two. Dont get Zero Hour either..

HydroSan

HydroSan
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:RTS, FPS, RPG, Action
QUOTE (Xioyux)
Red Alert? If he gets Red Alert he'll never wanna play an RTS again.

Hey, I take offense to that. Red Alert is what got me hooked on RTS. I still play it to this day.

Dewk

Dewk
  • GA Private
  • 212 posts
  • xfire:dukeman707
  • Interests:Gaming, Multimedia, Music
  • Steam ID:dewk
  • Xbox / GFWL:TehDewk
  • PSN:Dewk707
  • Wii:0857168782724857
  • Gamer Army ID:2533
  • Company:Charlie
My first RTS was Warcraft 2 icon_lol.gif

Weiman

Weiman

• Global Moderators
  • 33,901 posts
Red Alert is perfect IMO for a newbie that isn't sure if he wants to get into RTS.

This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

LaXo

LaXo
  • Members
  • 862 posts
  • Interests:Shin Sangoku Musou and three kingdom related things. PurePwnage(of course), Anime's and Music
I started with age of empires and thats a damn good place to start.....
user posted image

Anonymous1c4

Anonymous1c4
  • Members
  • 2,071 posts
You gotta get at least one ol' skool RTS.
Starcraft
Red Alert 2

Then there are the new skool RTSes
Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War (i just got this one...pretty fun)
Generals
Act of War (it seems pretty good)

I would suggest starting out with either DoW or Gens. I don't exactly know much about Act of War, but i've played the demo and it seems pretty fun.

<[BoYc3]> Sausage on my frying pan.

Pressure

Pressure
  • Members
  • 336 posts
Red Alert was the first RTS I ever played. I got it about one week after it came out. I was blown away by the single player and I thought the real actors in the cut scenes were amazing. It may be a bit dated today but it is what got me into the whole RTS genre. I tried other RTS games after that, such as Star Craft, War Craft, Age of Empires and other stuff. I thought they were all garbage and kept going back to the C&C series. The only other RTS series I've liked is the Close Combat series.

jyrds

jyrds
  • Members
  • 391 posts
  • Interests:Anime+Games
Act of War as the singleplayer that Red Alert should have had. The multiplayer still needs to be tested more. It is a great game for beginners tho.
I doubt RA2 can be counted as old skool. Old skool is like SC, WC1, RA1, Dune, CC1, Dark Reign 1 and how could you forget KKND(kill,Krush'n'Destory)

I personally didnt like the Age series that much, but i respect them to be great games.

BaneTheBastard

BaneTheBastard

Best Forum Fad/Game

• Members
  • 977 posts
  • xfire:BaneTheBastard
  • Interests:History, Writing, Poker, Polls, and Gaming.
First RTS = Starcraft
Best = Warcraft

jyrds

jyrds
  • Members
  • 391 posts
Bane, the first RTS wasnt starcraft.

Beodevil

Beodevil
  • Members
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Gaming... and Ownage
QUOTE (LaXo)
I started with age of empires and thats a damn good place to start.....

Yea, same here. I still play it till this very day. AOE2 made me love RTS though. icon_smile.gif

Weiman

Weiman

• Global Moderators
  • 33,901 posts
QUOTE (jyrds)
Bane, the first RTS wasnt starcraft.

it was his first RTS

jyrds

jyrds
  • Members
  • 391 posts
oh. Does anyone know what the FIRST RTS is? Or do I have to related back to civ?

Beodevil

Beodevil
  • Members
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Gaming... and Ownage
Well, I think the first RTS was Dune 2 as stated in this website :?

http://members.chello.at/theodor.lauppert/...games/dune2.htm

and

http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/features/...time/p2_01.html

jyrds

jyrds
  • Members
  • 391 posts
Wasnt Dune 1 older?

Ank Myrandor

Ank Myrandor
  • Members
  • 95 posts
try : command and conquer icon_razz.gif or kknd icon_razz.gif those were the best before red alert came out icon_cool.gif
My Regards

Ank Myrandor

user posted image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users