Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The infancy of Internet television

• Please log in to reply
272 replies to this topic

Kyle

Kyle
  • PP Cast
  • 562 posts
  • Interests:Film
  • Gamer Army ID:2
It has been almost 2 years since the show started and I have to say that we are very pleased with how much the show has grown. In May 2004, I recall that Jeremy and I were very excited to see that 800 people had downloaded episode 1 of Pure Pwnage. Our latest release, Episode 10, was downloaded 597,893 times in the first 24 hours (that's not counting unofficial mirrors and downloads via BitTorrent). Our primary mirror, agsn.ca, transferred 135 Terabytes of data on the release day, with a peak transfer rate of 22 gigs/sec. After a brief outage, the technicians at speakeasy.net (our web host) also managed to cope with the massive influx of traffic. Thirty days after the release, we expect to have tracked over 3 million downloads - that's more viewers than the majority of Canadian television shows, and we are not even on TV! Our fanbase is continually growing and we don't know where it is going to stop.

To become a film-maker has been a dream of mine for a long time, but as everyone knows it's not usually a good thing to bank on developing a "rock star" type career (rock star = low probability of success but lucrative and fun). Entering the film business by traditional means requires a lot of hard work, dedication, networking, luck, blah, blah, etc. It's hard. Today there are two main reasons why it is a lot easier for independent artists to develop their careers in film/TV:

1) Digital video equipment is cheap, easy to use, and accessible.
2) The Internet exists.

There is no better place for independent media than the Internet. Not only because the audience is global but also because word of mouth is an incredible force on the internet. There are many ways to forward a link to your friends and it's very easy for media to go "viral". Pure Pwnage has grown from 800 downloads of the initial episode to millions of downloads exclusively by word of mouth.

But even with millions of viewers, it doesn't mean you have a career. As Internet broadcasters, we have found that we suffer from a lack of legitimacy. For example, even though we are among the most watched Canadian television shows, we are not eligible to apply to the funding sources that are the financial backbone of the Canadian television industry. Funds like the Canadian Television Fund give away millions of dollars for the production of shows that i'm sure most of you have never heard of.

Not being eligible for funding, we had to borrow a camera from the University of Toronto library to shoot our first episode.

Advertisers are generally uninterested when it comes to Pure Pwnage, though they spend tens of thousands of dollars on print advertising in publications with 1/10th our audience and even more on television commercial spots during shows that have a fraction of our viewership. We don't want to start charging viewers to download our episodes, therefore merchandising is the only way we generate income.

An interesting note on the lack of legitimacy: Even some web-savvy individuals do not see any significance in pioneering web broadcasting. The Pure Pwnage wikipedia article is periodically nominated for deletion because our website is either "vanity" or "non-notable" icon_smile.gif

Still, I am optimistic about the future of Internet broadcasting as I read more and more articles like this. It seems some of the big broadcasters are starting to get the idea that people watch videos downloaded from the Internet. Have you heard about this??!?!

So, if you are a Pure Pwnage fan keep watching the show - we have big plans. If you want to be a film-maker - go out, grab a camera and start making your show.

The Internet television revolution is here. Your grandchildren are going to be amazed that you used to have to wait until a specific time for a show to be aired. They will also get a laugh when you add that you were unable to choose the episode that you wanted to see. So a big thanks to all the fans, you have helped us get to where we are. You have made it possible for us to share our laughs with the world.

Pwnstar

Pwnstar

JESUS CHRIST I AM SO FUCKING DRUNK!

• Retired Staff
  • 8,872 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:150
  • Company:Nu
Very nice Kyle, Keep up the good work. I'm hoping to become a Film maker myself so seeing what you have achieved is very inspiring. Plus you are a cool guy and treat your fans right which is always good.

"I wanna be Kyle whan I grow up."
What came first, the spamming or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos, that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids reading thousands, literally thousands of posts about anime, 4chan, flaming, goatse and emos. Did I make terrible posts because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I made terrible posts?

Nuggan

Nuggan
  • GA Private
  • 24 posts
  • Steam ID:http://steamcommunity.com/id/Nuggan/
  • Gamer Army ID:1833
Kyle, you just keep making these awesome episodes and we'll keep downloading them! I've done some film stuff with friends back in highschool and it was some of the most fun I've ever had. Your show is great because you're filming what you (and the rest of the cast) love. Keep paying this much attention to your fans too! Thanks for such an awesome show!

EnEsCe

EnEsCe
  • Members
  • 17 posts
That brought a tear to my eye.... LOL
Hey n00bs, get Soldat! http://soldat.pl and visit my site... http://enesce.com
kthxgg

Winnipeg

Winnipeg
  • Members
  • 31 posts
"your grandchildren are going to be amazed"

first to notice?

otherwise i just wanted to tell you guys WINNIPEG LOVES YOU and if ever you have a chance to come here, give me a hollar!!!

If youre from Winnipeg and you're reading this give me a hollar @ jmengeles@gmail.com

Nuggan

Nuggan
  • GA Private
  • 24 posts
  • Steam ID:http://steamcommunity.com/id/Nuggan/
  • Gamer Army ID:1833
QUOTE (Winnipeg @ Mar 29 2006, 01:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

first to notice?

aww, leave him alone, he writes this big long inspirational blog and only makes 1 mistake.

...there, see, he already fixed it.

Yar0niX

Yar0niX
  • Members
  • 29 posts
Kyle, get to bed. It's 1:27 AM.

=)

Bow down to Kyle, as he will be in the lead run among the others trying to keep up with him in the race for internet T.V. shows.

Keep up the OWNAGE work Kyle.

NoBigThing

NoBigThing
  • Members
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Gaming. Music. Food.
Nice blog Kyle. I love your motivation. Don't ever give up! And, if you ever make it to a globally well respected director, don't forget about what it started with!

You are the greatest!
QUOTE(Kyle)
The Internet exists.

RichRocket

RichRocket
  • Members
  • 171 posts
  • xfire:richrocket111
  • Interests:pwning it up!
  • PSN:RichRocket
  • Wii:6473854584082036
Kyle, everything you come up with is absolutely amazing. The show, your music, the noob store everything you and the pp crew have done is awsome. Keep up the great work! You guys are going to become BIG soon. I mean if you can sell Jeremys hair on eBay for $4,200.00, you can do about anything.

kyle2kl.gif
01101001 00100000 01100001 01101101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111

Luther_Vespers

Luther_Vespers
  • Members
  • 1,179 posts
  • xfire:luthervespers
  • Interests:Computers, Guitar, Music in general
Bleh, that non-legitimacy thing is bullshit. Pure Pwnage is better than any TV on basic cable (anything i've ever seen). GG, Kyle, GG.

Revsta

Revsta
  • Members
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, film, skateboarding, guitar, music etc.
Way to go fellas. If I had any strings to pull for you I would, but as I hope to get into the film business in a few years maybe we'll end up pulling strings for each other or some such thing. Good luck getting on T.V., you definitely deserve it.

-Rev-

Shaun.

Shaun.

Overall Best PP Contributor | MoTMJan08

• GA Corporal
  • 6,679 posts
  • Interests:Vidya, music, Marvel and frilly things.
  • Gamer Army ID:145
Kyle, you and the crew just keep doing what you're doing. We PP fans will back you guys up all the fucking way.

Contrallion

Contrallion
  • Members
  • 1,778 posts
Yeah, great job on the show. Fuck the corporations! Fuck Bush! Independant films are the way to go.

baxbunny

baxbunny
  • Members
  • 27 posts
what a moving speech! ahhaa umm yea we'll always support u guys and pp! whether its buying hair .. o rjust buying some cool shirts! Keep it up! w00t!
IPB Image

Escobar

Escobar
  • Members
  • 258 posts
  • xfire:escobar06
QUOTE (Winnipeg @ Mar 29 2006, 02:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

first to notice?

otherwise i just wanted to tell you guys WINNIPEG LOVES YOU and if ever you have a chance to come here, give me a hollar!!!

Yo..where in winnipeg you from?

Econojon

Econojon

MotM April 2006 teh_straterer

• GA Sergeant
  • 5,427 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:32
You are a real pioneer, Kyle, way ahead of your time. I really do hope that you can find a way to diversify your income. With the success Apple has gotten from the Itunes, and the increasing rise of projects like MythTV, how you play your cards now will be crucial to how you succeed. Best of luck and you gave a very inspirational speech! Totally 1337! kyle2kl.gif

misdemeanor

misdemeanor
  • Members
  • 1,580 posts
*Clap clap clap* so true. Kyle you the man.

d1skr33t

d1skr33t
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • xfire:d1skr33t
Wow thats great thanks for that inspiration kyle! me and my friends are taking your advice as we speak were gettinga a camera and some wicked mcis and were making our own gaming news show because of you guys. Keep up the wicked work!

nintendoFREAK

nintendoFREAK
  • GA Corporal
  • 25 posts
  • Wii:1671185344408116
  • Gamer Army ID:438
Cool stuff.

But, the store is your only source of income?

What about the $5,000 you got got for Jeremy's hair?

Those people did pay, right?

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
Very nice article, I'm glad to see this blog feature is getting used icon_smile.gif

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users