Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Recommend me an RTS

* * * * * 3 votes

• Please log in to reply
484 replies to this topic

Ximensions

Ximensions

Positive Climb, Gear Up

• Retired Staff
  • 3,108 posts
  • xfire:ximensions
  • Interests:Aviation, physics, computer art, history, cooking
  • Gamer Army ID:6
Hey guys,

Since there are a lot of these type of threads and some people are getting annoyed at some not searching for them, I've just created this one sticky for everyone to recommend an RTS to newer players or those that want to just go for a new one.

//Ximensions ximsmiley.gif
For the love of God, it's spelt r i diculous!

Kyprioth

Kyprioth
  • Members
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:I play DDR alot. Don't know what it is? Well, google it noob. <br />(I can own with my hands and my feet on heavy, but im not too sure about doing it at the same time..... I'm gonna have to try that some day.)
Get Dawn of War and the expansion winter assault, id say they are the best rts' out there, and there are more expansions, more races to come (winter assault was the first expansion to add an entire new race)
Lololololol, signature

kmjnhb

kmjnhb
  • Members
  • 2,327 posts
  • xfire:kmjnhb
  • Interests:games, world history, mythology, religion and culture, anime, food.
  • Steam ID:Hallvardgn
  • Xbox / GFWL:BEER4Hallvard
Age of Empires 2 (with expansion)
Age of Empires 3
Rome:Total War

=PP=batman

=PP=batman
  • Members
  • 41 posts
c&c: Generals
war3tft
IPB Image
jeremy is teh pwn
-batman

elliotter

elliotter
  • Members
  • 1,753 posts
  • xfire:elliotter
  • Interests:Guitar, gaming, music, and friends
c&c ftw!

Nemesis.cF-

Nemesis.cF-
  • Members
  • 1,935 posts
  • xfire:nemesiscf
  • Interests:pwning pretty much all RTS games, some FPS once in a while.. even some RPG's.. oh, and i like computers too....did i mension i pwn?
1st off... ty ximm for taking action on the stupid number of these threads.. ok..

If you have a good computer.. and are noob to RTS you should go for 1 of the following:

Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War + its expansions.

This game is really great futuristic RTS with lower micro than some games but still good rock paper scissors elements about the units meaning the masive huge fucking units can still be beaten with good tactics. Really good game and highly recommended if you like Warhammer 40k, futuristic games and a not bad balance. The game is well maintained and has is 2nd expansion planned to be released within the next few years. Unfortunatly without the expansion the game wont really teach you how to play any races except space marines. Still this game is a must have for people who are not ready for the hardcore games such as starcraft.

Command & Conquer Generals: Zero Hour.

This game though suffered badly from a lack of patching and general support at the start has recovered slightly since it got rid of some of the major bugs. If you like realistic Modern day style warfare this is without a doubt for you. Three very well balanced teams and a good online community makes this game a MUST for any c&c fans and anyone who likes current time style RTS. The good graphics compliment the game well and though it doesnt include as much as some other games micro is often needed amoungst the better players. The single player campaigns and the challange mode on Zero Hour teach you how to play the game well so its good for noobs not used to RTS.

Civilisation 4.

If you consider yourself a smart bastard.. this is certianally for you. See what the world would of turned out like if you were in charge, take control of your own country, declare wars, alliacnes, trades, peace anything. Blackmail your rivals or play peacefully and try for the space race. This game is great for strategists and anyone who liked the previous Civilisation series should definatly give this a look. That said.. this game is not too noob friendly, although you can do thinks like automate your workers so you dont have to look after them and put goveners incharge of citys this game is not the easiest game to pick up. None the less this game is great, with good graphics and a slower gameply pace.
Note: this game is a Turn Based Strat

Supreme Commander.

This game is not out yet, but looks amazing and is possibly the most anticipated RTS of all time along with the likes of Starcraft 2 and Red alert 3. Very futuristic and the game is on a scale never seen before where small units cant be carried by medium units, medium carried by large, large by extra large and xtra large by enormous. The scale of the maps in this game is huge. I cannot comment on the gameplay too much since i have not seen footage of gameplay or spoken to anyone who has played it yet. But any fans of Chris Taylor's Total Annihalation should be camping outside their nearist games store for this. Very highly recommended and i suspect it will also be quite noob friendly.

I actually am getting worried that there may be a power cut now since there have been 3 here today because of the wind so im going to post this before i lose it.. ill write a list of other games good for people with less good computers aswell.

LAN's attended: i31, Xleague.TV CNC3 Invitational, WCG UK 2007, ESWC UK 2007, The Gathering 2008, The SGL Summer Slam, ESWC UK 2008, LlamaLan 9, ESWC Grand Finals 2008, SparkLAN 5, LlamaLAN 10, ESL Intel Friday Night Game UK #1, ESL Intel Friday Night Game UK #2, ESL Pro Series UK Finals Season 2, SparkLAN 6, LlamaLAN 11, i38
LAN's attending:i39, Gadget Show Live 2010, LlamaLan 12

Rod

Rod

I love post count implants.

• Retired Staff
  • 10,529 posts
Although already mentioned I would like to say that CnC Series is like omfgbbq good. Words cannot describe my feelings for the CnC series and I THINK IM IN LOVE.

Ron1n

Ron1n
  • Members
  • 79 posts
  • xfire:Roninny
  • Interests:Stuff
Yeah, get Generals + Zero Hour.

NoFear

NoFear
  • Members
  • 244 posts
  • xfire:nofearnero
I still love playing StarCraft, the game actually fits all my demands when it comes to RTS, pretty old but pretty good. It's just sad that now I don't find a lot of good games anymore out there, mostly f'n idiots that plays fast map or special maps, which are kinda boring.
IPB Image

TheHumannBee

TheHumannBee
  • Banned
  • 790 posts
  • xfire:tehhumannbee
^^ Amen ^^

I hate the fast maps icon_sad.gif
IPB Image

-King-

-King-
  • Members
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Sport: Soccer, Cricket, Tennis<br /><br />Music: Nearly all music....but Daft Punk is my fav<br /><br />Computers: Counter Strike....i still play Dune 2 cos it never gets old, what a classic game
Nahhh....its gotta be a classic.....DUNE 2 FTW....oh yes, my first rts
KING...ftw

I make "new age/old age/retro/fusion" gaming music.........i think
http://www.myspace.com/atarivision

NeoN66

NeoN66
  • Members
  • 538 posts
Star Wars: Galactic Battleground lol (yes, the age of empires-rip) bring on the flaming... shooow me the flames icon_biggrin.gif i'm heat-resistant neway

C&C ZH 4 sur
IPB Image

lys_sword

lys_sword
  • Members
  • 5 posts
age of empires 2 the conquerors very fun rts, even tho its a classic icon_razz.gif I've played for 4yrs online now after 2 yrs of mmo I still come play its so much fun. (hehe b sure to play at max resolution, thats how all pro's play icon_razz.gif)

-King-

-King-
  • Members
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Sport: Soccer, Cricket, Tennis<br /><br />Music: Nearly all music....but Daft Punk is my fav<br /><br />Computers: Counter Strike....i still play Dune 2 cos it never gets old, what a classic game
come on Age of Empires 2 isnt old enough to be a classic....maybe 1 but not 2

and i played Galactic Battlegrounds, hey, it was fun at the time (i was like 12)
KING...ftw

I make "new age/old age/retro/fusion" gaming music.........i think
http://www.myspace.com/atarivision

prophet of the pimps

prophet of the pimps
  • Members
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Zero Hour Modding
well its not a game but i do recommend this mod for zero hour.
http://www.cncreneclips.com/shockwavemod/website/

works almost perfectly and it has the old school cnc feel to it.

"You know how Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"

AJ™

AJ™
  • Members
  • 63 posts
  • xfire:ajtastic
  • Interests:Online networking, gaming, my mates.
QUOTE (-King- @ Mar 30 2006, 02:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nahhh....its gotta be a classic.....DUNE 2 FTW....oh yes, my first rts

No shit. Mine too. I mean, I totally sucked at it, and I never completed it (I got to the one-to-last level with the Atreides though), but it did start my interest for RTS games.
<AJtm> 8ball loves me. =]
<PurePwnage> AJtm, Absolutely yes!

Rent_A_Ham

Rent_A_Ham
  • Members
  • 43 posts
  • xfire:rentaham
  • Interests:Im on the PP forum.... Need I say more? :P
How about Homeworld 2?

Its a few years old yes (2003), but Generals is too.

Pro's:
- RTS in space
- Good single player storyline
- 3D movement of ships, so you can attack from any direction
- Nice graphics
- Nice controls (nobody whine that its hard, you should use the tutorial f00!)

Con's:
- Steep learning curve
- Very, very few players online

A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining and wants it back the minute it begins to rain.

Please log in

Please log in
  • Members
  • 13 posts
  • xfire:rookie530
  • Interests:Gaming, Quaking.<br /><br />Designing.<br /><br />Pwning.
id go for a new one that not many people have played demos of. that way you would be starting of a n00b just like everyone else.
IPB Image

DHC

DHC

e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0

• Retired Staff
  • 12,731 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:31
  • Company:Kilo
QUOTE (prophet of the pimps @ Apr 2 2006, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well its not a game but i do recommend this mod for zero hour.
http://www.cncreneclips.com/shockwavemod/website/

works almost perfectly and it has the old school cnc feel to it.

oh man the new shockwave mod is so cool! i love the hot air ballons for GLA

the original shockwave was pwnage. this mod is just beyond belief!!! it kinda makes the AF gen even more overpowered, but its really not meant for competative play - mainly toying around with friends at a LAN

Yellow Storm of Senbonzakura

Yellow Storm of Senbonzakura
  • Members
  • 14 posts
  • xfire:yellowstorm
i would reccomend either Starcraft Broodwar or WArcraft 3 The Frozen Throne. These are my favourite rts' altough Dawn of War, Command and Conquer Generals and Age of Empires2 Conquerors Expansion are also top choices.
IPB Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users