Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Recommend me an RTS

* * * * * 3 votes

• Please log in to reply
484 replies to this topic

m3ds

m3ds
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,482 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:2994
So, I'm kind of looking to get into rts, but I've never properly played one before. I played through the Starcraft campaigns years back, probably back when they were released. I realize a lot of people are going to recommend Starcraft, but I am kinda looking for something a little more...noob friendly as I just don't have the time these days. I was looking at either C&C3 with Kane's Wrath or RA3. Which of the two would you recommend? Thanks in advance.

re.copy

re.copy
  • Members
  • 54 posts
  • xfire:re00copy
C&C3: TiberiumWars > RA3

Edited by re.copy, 26 June 2009 - 08:15 PM.

SensFaiL

SensFaiL
  • Members
  • 22 posts
Well out of those 3 cnc games Ra3 is the most active at the moment but tw and kw are much better games IMO

LysIs514

LysIs514

Best RTS Contributor '09

• Members
  • 670 posts
QUOTE (SensFaiL @ Jun 28 2009, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well out of those 3 cnc games Ra3 is the most active at the moment but tw and kw are much better games IMO

Please explain this to me, because i always thought cnc3/kw was all who got luckiest with the tank spam.

AltCtrl: if i was gonna play ra3 i might as well go play wizard 101 too

retrovirus

retrovirus
  • Members
  • 830 posts
  • xfire:r3troviru5
  • Interests:sc2
QUOTE (LysIs514 @ Jun 28 2009, 08:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Please explain this to me, because i always thought cnc3/kw was all who got luckiest with the tank spam.

It can be, but with proper micro and unit combinations you can overcome someone using a tank spam if you are a better player. Spamming usually takes an early economy boost, and if you leave the other playing alone without responding with any attacks then they can easily mass an army.
But in my recent games when I get tank spammed, the person used proper micro, unit combinations, and actually outplayed me. I havent recently thought "he just tank spammed-->i lose".
I like the pace of the game, i play kw. Its a fun game. Automatch can take anywhere from no delay to over 10 minutes sometimes. My ladder rank is 260, sometimes i'll play someone in the thousands, sometimes i'll play someone top 10.
But when you see that you can outplay and destroy someone completely with ease after playing for a long time...
Plus being completely outplayed and destroyed when doing your best, you can take pride in your game having a decent skill range.
Its no sc, but i enjoy myself.
I highly recommend kw.

retrovirus

retrovirus
  • Members
  • 830 posts
  • xfire:r3troviru5
  • Interests:sc2
Hey fellas,
ive been playing cnc3kw for a couple of years now and am still enjoying it. I found my starcraft battlechest that I purchased eons ago. I have been told that playing sc will only improve my cnc3 game as well as my rts skills in general.
Questions...
question the first
any problems with sc and vista?
question the second
i played for a while so I got to know the basic structure of the races (BASIC STRUCTURE, caps) via fastest maps, no rushes (yay) and so on. I was a child back then.
So I guess the actual question is...where can one (noob) go to find other players of the relative skill level. My baby brother plays cnckw and holds his own as he sucks but automatch pairs him up with people his relative skill level.
I figured there would be forums either here or other sites/communities for people just starting out?
I remember seeing, 1v1 noob lt (insert korean symbol here).
But I have since learned not to trust in that player actually being new to the game.
Thanks!

Damian P.

Damian P.
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • xfire:q3rage
Hey guys Im gonna start playing some RTS games, im originally an FPS gamer but i want something different.
I want something that is easy for a noob RTS gamer myself but still have a fun time so that I dont diss an RTS game and go right back to FPS games. I was thinking maybe Warcraft III and i've ruled out starcraft because I know its a hard game for a noob like myself.

While I want a game easy for noobs I dont want a dead giveaway, and win every round I want something that will also help me further into a different RTS genre and have skills when I do

Hope there is such a game icon_smile.gif

re.copy

re.copy
  • Members
  • 54 posts
CnC:Zero Hour is a good RTS to start with.

PwntToast

PwntToast

I want a title. But I'm not creative D:

• Retired Staff
  • 3,617 posts
  • xfire:pwnttoast
  • Interests:Gaming, Playing/listening to music, skateboarding.
  • Xbox / GFWL:Marcus Fps
  • PSN:Nope.
  • Wii:Not yet.
QUOTE (Damian P. @ Jul 12 2009, 07:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey guys Im gonna start playing some RTS games, im originally an FPS gamer but i want something different.
I want something that is easy for a noob RTS gamer myself but still have a fun time so that I dont diss an RTS game and go right back to FPS games. I was thinking maybe Warcraft III and i've ruled out starcraft because I know its a hard game for a noob like myself.

While I want a game easy for noobs I dont want a dead giveaway, and win every round I want something that will also help me further into a different RTS genre and have skills when I do

Hope there is such a game icon_smile.gif

You could try RA3, as there are a lot of noobs you will meet online, and obviously some good people that will spank you. Could give Starcraft a try but it takes awhile to get into and start winning games.

QUOTE (re.copy @ Jul 12 2009, 04:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
CnC:Zero Hour is a good RTS to start with.

Sorry, but no, it's not anymore.
(RIP Troy "T-Bag" Dixon)
Kazzerax: if she has a boyfriend, that's you being a fucking terrible person and i hope he knocks your ass out in a stream while you're wearing jeans

re.copy

re.copy
  • Members
  • 54 posts
Why is it not good to start with anymore? I started with it last year.

a1its

a1its
  • Members
  • 389 posts
QUOTE (re.copy @ Jul 12 2009, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

RA3 would probably be better to start on because it is simpler and has a bigger community.

re.copy

re.copy
  • Members
  • 54 posts
RA3 is still pretty glitchy (units not listening, having to click at least 3-5 times for units to respond most of the time) Or is this not the case anymore? haven't played in a few days.

a1its

a1its
  • Members
  • 389 posts
QUOTE (re.copy @ Jul 12 2009, 10:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
RA3 is still pretty glitchy (units not listening, having to click at least 3-5 times for units to respond most of the time) Or is this not the case anymore? haven't played in a few days.

Yeah the game still has quite a few bugs.

PwntToast

PwntToast

• Retired Staff
  • 3,617 posts
QUOTE (re.copy @ Jul 12 2009, 11:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And what is your W/L ratio on Iccup? Or are you just on bnet.

QUOTE (a1its @ Jul 13 2009, 12:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
RA3 would probably be better to start on because it is simpler and has a bigger community.

Yeah it would. And I wouldn't say it's reallllly glitchy.
(RIP Troy "T-Bag" Dixon)
Kazzerax: if she has a boyfriend, that's you being a fucking terrible person and i hope he knocks your ass out in a stream while you're wearing jeans

re.copy

re.copy
  • Members
  • 54 posts
QUOTE (PwntToast @ Jul 13 2009, 05:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah it would. And I wouldn't say it's reallllly glitchy.

I haven't played starcraft in 6 months... Don't see how it relates..
Last time i played i had a crappy W/L ratio of 19/12 a bit hooked on CnC to play starcraft atm.

Its pretty glitchy though.

PwntToast

PwntToast

• Retired Staff
  • 3,617 posts
I meant starcraft is hard to get into now and do good in.
(RIP Troy "T-Bag" Dixon)

re.copy

re.copy
  • Members
  • 54 posts
I think there maybe some confusion on the field.
Do you think i started with starcraft... or did i accidentally read ....

"
[Why is it not good to start with anymore? I started with it last year.]
"

as an insult>?

PwntToast

PwntToast

• Retired Staff
  • 3,617 posts
No. Nevermind....
(RIP Troy "T-Bag" Dixon)

Hellswarm

Hellswarm
  • Members
  • 2,554 posts
  • Interests:CSS
Do people still play Zero Hour? I got so sick of that game ...

Hellswarm

Hellswarm
  • Members
  • 2,554 posts
  • Interests:CSS
Hey, sorry for the double post.

I have a Netbook (shit specs) for school, need some old school (Or new school) 2D RTSes to put on it. ATM I have Starcraft, Total Annihilation, and Tiberian Sun.

Edited by Hellswarm, 14 September 2009 - 07:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users