Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

HL and HL2 jumping

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

rickyzhou

rickyzhou
  • Members
  • 743 posts
OK, I see a lot of people doing these crazy bunny hopping jumps and whatnot in hl1 and the mods for it. How does one go about doing that?

It's fixed in HL2 right? It's getting really cheap when you can abuse it to move so much faster than everyone else. And this stuff does happen servers without any bunnyhop mod or whatever.

[RA]Z3PHYR

[RA]Z3PHYR
  • Members
  • 2,045 posts
  • xfire:zephyr2004
  • Steam ID:gunjack
http://www.planetfortress.com/misanthropy/bunnyhopping.asp

be aware, it took me MONTHS to learn how to do it correctly. But once you get it down, its really fun to just hop around.

rickyzhou

rickyzhou
  • Members
  • 743 posts
Man... You can't be serious.

[RA]Z3PHYR

[RA]Z3PHYR
  • Members
  • 2,045 posts
QUOTE (rickyzhou @ Feb 25 2006, 08:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Man... You can't be serious.

its not easy to get it down in a short matter of time. well, it took me a week or so to learn it, but took me months to get it perfect.

1337cshacker

1337cshacker
  • Banned
  • 4,073 posts
  • Interests:building computers, massive gaming, 3D modeling, repairing, stability troubleshoot. If you have questions about anything dealing with systems/PC's pm me, i'll help best i can.
QUOTE (rickyzhou @ Feb 24 2006, 01:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK, I see a lot of people doing these crazy bunny hopping jumps and whatnot in hl1 and the mods for it. How does one go about doing that?

It's fixed in HL2 right? It's getting really cheap when you can abuse it to move so much faster than everyone else. And this stuff does happen servers without any bunnyhop mod or whatever.

you seem to be quite new. its actually the same speed. and its an aquired skill (not using a noob script).
IPB Image

Weegee_101

Weegee_101
  • GA Private
  • 1,644 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, Unix.
  • Gamer Army ID:816
  • Company:India
QUOTE (1337cshacker @ Feb 25 2006, 10:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you seem to be quite new. its actually the same speed. and its an aquired skill (not using a noob script).

In the original Half-Life Engine, because of a physics error, it does actually make you go faster. In Counter-Strike 1.6 it was fixed, however in most of the GoldSrc engine games and mods that used an older SDK it still works. I'm unsure if they fixed it in Team Fortress Classic or Deathmatch Classic, but I've still seen it work fine in Half-Life Deathmatch and Opposing Force.

The Source Engine's physics are compeletely different, and they don't suffer from the same problem. You can't get any speed increase from bunny hopping.

JIMI

JIMI
  • Members
  • 14 posts
I managed to figure out how to bunny hop in HL2 in a few days, not perfect but enough. I thought it gave you a speed gain in HL2 though. I was wondering how you guys know it doesn't give you a gain. It sure seems like it to me but I have never really looked into it. So let me know --JIMI--

rickyzhou

rickyzhou
  • Members
  • 743 posts
Well, at least it's fixed in source.

I had someone tell me something about doing it before by binding your mouse wheel to jump. But I never understood what you did with it after. So I didn't bother anymore. (long time ago, not necessarily new to the whole cs/ns thing)

But in NS, the aliens kept rushing our base extremely fast, because of the bunny hopping thing. They were able to move twice as fast, which is a huge difference. They got to the base in a matter of seconds, which is ridiculous. Something that most likely wasn't intended.

But yeah, I can see how you would call it a 'skill'. It just unbalances the game. Some classes were designed to move slow, and some faster, but with the bunnyhop, they can both move fast.

Weegee_101

Weegee_101
  • GA Private
  • 1,644 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, Unix.
  • Gamer Army ID:816
  • Company:India
QUOTE (JIMI @ Feb 26 2006, 03:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I managed to figure out how to bunny hop in HL2 in a few days, not perfect but enough. I thought it gave you a speed gain in HL2 though. I was wondering how you guys know it doesn't give you a gain. It sure seems like it to me but I have never really looked into it. So let me know --JIMI--

It was stated on the Valve ERC forums a long time ago (long enough that the weed eater ate the thread, which I had bookmarked). Its also been stated on the Steam Powered forums a couple times. You can implement bunnyhopping though into your mod. HL2:DM Pro did it. Gabe stated in a few interviews while HL2 was in production that he hates bunnyhoppers because all they do is unbalance the game... they are akin to cheaters.

[RA]Z3PHYR

[RA]Z3PHYR
  • Members
  • 2,045 posts
QUOTE (Weegee_101 @ Feb 26 2006, 09:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gabe stated in a few interviews while HL2 was in production that he hates bunnyhoppers because all they do is unbalance the game... they are akin to cheaters.

probably because he can't do it because of all the chicken grease on his fingers.

rickyzhou

rickyzhou
  • Members
  • 743 posts
Yes that's exactly why bunnyhopping doesn't unbalance the game. Because he can't do it with chicken grease on his fingers. EXACTLY.

Guest_ThE_MarD_*

Guest_ThE_MarD_*
  • Guests
Heyyo,

Now, they also said they'd keep the HL2 player movement physics like the HL1 style. I still get the air control in HL2. I think they just killed off the speed boost off or lowered it a lot that it barely made a diff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users