Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Dawn of War (Need some tips)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Diminisher616

Diminisher616
  • GA Private
  • 138 posts
  • xfire:simonthecyrodiil
  • Xbox / GFWL:Diminisher616
  • Gamer Army ID:1791
Well, I've had the game for two weeks and I pretty much pwn up the computer on Standard, but I kind of dno what else to do to get better, it's like I know all the basics of the game but I don't know anything nifty icon_sad.gif

I use keyboard shortcuts for stuff to speed me up... So don't say get some micro icon_razz.gif Lol

Hmm, anyway... I have Winter Assault too so could I have tips for them both? I play DoW with my friend who is too cheap to buy the expansion and I play the expansion on my own icon_sad.gif Lol

Anyway, anyone got any strats or tips on the races etc?

Kk just realised what my problem was while playing... I am a slow starter, by the time I have a squad of marines the enemy has 2 and twice as many resources... What am I doing wrong? icon_sad.gif

IPB Image

Searaven

Searaven
  • Members
  • 42 posts
Just so you know, beating the standard computer is basically nothing . . . you probably want to get to the point where you can beat "hard" or "harder" computers before going online if you don't want to get your ass kicked a lot.

You should really get the grid hotkeys. They'll help your micro immensely since the original setup would have you moving your hand all over the keyboard.

Here's the one for original DoW
http://www.cokane.com/warhammer/gridhotkeys/KEYDEFAULTS.LUA
Download this file (right click and choose save link as . . . ) and put it in dawn of war/profiles/profile1/w40k

and for Winter Assault:
http://dow.lerp.com/gridwxp7.zip
Just extract this one to your dawn of war folder.

This will reassign your hotkeys so that the buttons correnspond with the left side of your keyboard, like this:

With that out of the way, I can give you some general tips.

First of all, do yourself a favor and don't play any game that has "quick-start" enabled, because this will make everyone start with max resources, effectively destroying much of the strategy and balance of the game. A lot of n00bs like to play this way, for the reasons I just mentioned.

As you should know by now, the resource system in DoW is directly tied to map control. This means that the game is very oriented toward aggressive play and turtling is never a good idea. You should always be fighting your opponent for control of the strategic points, don't just sit because the longer you do so, the more he will gain an advantage on you in resources.

Listening posts are very important in that they both prevent an enemy from capturing your points, and give you added resources. Many new players don't know that upgrading your listening posts not only equips them with weapons, but also increases the rate of requisition you get from them.

You should also know about overwatch. This is a feature that goes unnoticed by a lot of people. Basically, when you right click a production or reinforcement button, it will begin to flash white, and will then constantly produce that item as long as you have the required resources. Here's an example:

This trick can also work for producing new squads or heroes. For example, if you don't have enough resources for a hero/unit, but want to get one soon, you can simply right click on the portrait and it will automatically be built once the resources for it become available.

Those are some general tips/tricks for you to get started, to go into more detail tell me which race you want to learn about, because they differ in a lot of ways and it's difficult to come up with general strats that work for all of them.

Diminisher616

Diminisher616
  • GA Private
  • 138 posts
Hmm I know Standard is nout but I was saying I get the basics of the game icon_razz.gif I'm like a total n00b at RTS's icon_sad.gif

Thanks for all that info, I'm getting the things you said to now, and the race I play at is Space Marines, not because I want to but because I'm even slower at starting as the Eldar icon_sad.gif I would prefer to play as Eldar but I'm settling with Space Marines lol...

Thanks icon_smile.gif

IPB Image

Mopey

Mopey

MotM July 2006

• Members
  • 4,571 posts
  • xfire:mopeyn
  • Interests:drawing, <br />cooking, <br />gaming,<br />anime &amp; manga,<br />photoshopping.
  • Xbox / GFWL:Mopey Pi
I started to play Warhammer 40k today, too! Maybe we can play against each other (no Expansion pack!!) and then we'll be n00bs training each other icon_wink.gif

PS: I suck icon_confused.gif
My Benderarchive. Enjoy!
My real name is Michi, but the capitalist punks call me Mike. Adrenaline Junkie.
<3Click pics!

Diminisher616

Diminisher616
  • GA Private
  • 138 posts
Sounds good Mopey icon_biggrin.gif

IPB Image

Mopey

Mopey

MotM July 2006

• Members
  • 4,571 posts
  • Interests:drawing, <br />cooking, <br />gaming,<br />anime &amp; manga,<br />photoshopping.
Just going to update the whole thing, you can add me in ICQ and MSN if you want... but in the next 10 minutes please, because I'm almost NEVER online in ICQ!!!
Cya @ Messenger icon_smile.gif
My Benderarchive. Enjoy!
My real name is Michi, but the capitalist punks call me Mike. Adrenaline Junkie.
<3Click pics!

Diminisher616

Diminisher616
  • GA Private
  • 138 posts
Added you icon_surprised.gif

Anyone else got some tips? pp_smiley14.gif

IPB Image

Mopey

Mopey

MotM July 2006

• Members
  • 4,571 posts
The game was the shitzz. I hope he didn't save the replay, too embarassing.
My Benderarchive. Enjoy!
<3Click pics!

Pdah-m0vgli

Pdah-m0vgli
  • Members
  • 1,459 posts
hehe...didn't went so well? =P what happend?
Logged out...

Diminisher616

Diminisher616
  • GA Private
  • 138 posts
Game lasted 17min, I had 20,000ish he had 8,000ish points...

Instead of making piles of builders like usual I built like 5 scout squads at the start and took control of 7 out of the 10 strat points...

I had terminators ready for deep strike incase you pulled out anything special btw icon_razz.gif

IPB Image

Mopey

Mopey

MotM July 2006

• Members
  • 4,571 posts
I don't even knew that you can upgrade the commando central.
Is that ghey Warcraft or what? icon_surprised.gif
My Benderarchive. Enjoy!
<3Click pics!

Diminisher616

Diminisher616
  • GA Private
  • 138 posts
Hehe, well, I'm still shocked I won a game! And what would of taken me 40 minutes before only took me 17 this time xD

Talk about progress!

IPB Image

IA-HonersStodnt

IA-HonersStodnt
  • Banned
  • 1,026 posts
  • Interests:Programming, paintball, sex
how hard is the computer on insane mode when compared to average players? I know I can take it on insane, but havent really ventured into the online game too much. I'm a SM player, but I feel I rely too much on my dreadnoughts for heavy support untill I can get enough map control to just flood the enemy with upgraded tac rine squads or something. The computer proves most ineffective against taking out dreadnoughts. Is this a computer flaw, or is the game just balanced so dreadnoughts kick ass?

Diminisher616

Diminisher616
  • GA Private
  • 138 posts
If you tried playing online you'd have to download like 5 patches and your dreadnaughts would then be balanced icon_razz.gif But anyway, I've found that using loads of dreads online doesn't work too well, they just get outnumbered and pwned :|

IPB Image

Marflag

Marflag
  • Banned
  • 646 posts
Hey, if u wanna get pwnt by me, add me on msn.

Anyways, I might use hotkeys when i download dat thing.

Yeah, dat thing.

So, yeah.

Diminisher616

Diminisher616
  • GA Private
  • 138 posts
Kk added you, and I'll get pwnt by you when I get home from school icon_razz.gif

IPB Image

goatblade

goatblade
  • Members
  • 472 posts
  • xfire:goatblade
  • Interests:Your Mum
Hey, i really like DOW also, im not that great either....add me on XFIRE, my name is goatblade
IPB Image

Diminisher616

Diminisher616
  • GA Private
  • 138 posts
Ok lol added you icon_smile.gif

IPB Image

Pdah-m0vgli

Pdah-m0vgli