Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

OMG Teh Future is Star Trek! Real Warp Drives!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Econojon

Econojon

MotM April 2006 teh_straterer

• GA Sergeant
  • 5,427 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:32
http://news.scotsman.com/scitech.cfm?id=16902006

A new "hyperspace" engine being investigated by the US government may actually be able to be developed.

Anyone want to go to Mars?

The US air force has expressed an interest in the idea and scientists working for the American Department of Energy - which has a device known as the Z Machine that could generate the kind of magnetic fields required to drive the engine - say they may carry out a test if the theory withstands further scrutiny.

Professor Jochem Hauser, one of the scientists who put forward the idea, told The Scotsman that if everything went well a working engine could be tested in about five years.

Ion Dragon

Ion Dragon

The Most Random Badger Town

• Members
  • 591 posts
nope it sucks in mars i went twice
all thats there is stuff

i want to go to see the aliens that control george bush though
Member of the Keep Geoff Private Club

EmeraldBlyze

EmeraldBlyze
  • Members
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Rpgs, Lawn Bowls, Harry Potter, Guinea Pigs, Music
Yes oh God yes please. I need the future to happen before I die.
Blyze: † Product of the Triangle †

Verrückter

Verrückter

Satanic Birthday Boy

• Retired Staff
  • 7,606 posts
  • Interests:Games!
Sounds like a whole lot of bullshit to me.

Warping to a new dimesion where speed of light is faster? LoL, sure.
"Something tremendously powerful was lost when composers moved away from tonal harmony and regular pulses... Among other things the audience was lost" -John Adams

Zoikon

Zoikon
  • GA Private
  • 2,789 posts
  • Interests:like a LOT!
  • Xbox / GFWL:gheeey
  • PSN:god no
  • Wii:Pwnage
  • Gamer Army ID:387
errr hmmm nah:P icon_lol.gif
dont think so, but i do enjoy watching star trek sometimes icon_lol.gif
IPB Image

evol262

evol262

MotM Dec 2005 teh_burninator / Keeping n00bs at bay

• GA Private
  • 5,804 posts
  • xfire:evol262
  • Gamer Army ID:548
Could be. The speed of light is only set in a vacuum. It goes slower through materials (like glass for fiberoptics) and faster in certain mediums. At any rate, think of it more like Event Horizon, since that's closer to what the theory is.
CODE
while(!asleep()) {
                    sheep++;
}

Pwnstar

Pwnstar

JESUS CHRIST I AM SO FUCKING DRUNK!

• Retired Staff
  • 8,872 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:150
  • Company:Nu
Assume you have a spaceship with an engine that has limitless power. If you set the ship to constantly accelerate and enable it to automatically dodge obstacles you could put yoursef into stasis or suspended animation for 3 million years. When you got out the ship would be approaching light speed. It keeps accelerating until it reaches the speed of light. Then it goes over. This causes the ship to become some sort of ultra light particle. You are travelling so fast that you arrive at objects before you can see them but the ship will pass right through them. If you order the ship to deaccelerate it wil not be able to. It will still continue to accelerate but just at a slower rate thn before. So you are slowing down and speeding up at the same time.

And thant's how it works.

*head explodes*
What came first, the spamming or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos, that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids reading thousands, literally thousands of posts about anime, 4chan, flaming, goatse and emos. Did I make terrible posts because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I made terrible posts?

evol262

evol262

• GA Private
  • 5,804 posts
The energy required to reach the speed of light is exponential. Assuming you had a spaceship that had an engine with limitless power, you'd never reach it. The output could be the sum of all the energy in the universe, and you'd -still- never hit the speed of light. Theoretically, if you were to hit the speed of light, you'd essentially go nuclear. Turn into pure energy, to put it simply.

Time is inversely proportional to gravity. It's not a set thing, by any means. Atomic clocks put into low geosynchronous orbit lose a tiny amount of time as opposed to those they're matching on Earth, but they do lose it. The closer you get to the speed of light, the less effect time has on you. You age slower, kind of. Rather, you age at the same rate, just that you're kind of outside the bounds of typical reality. Somebody on Earth would age faster to an observer, but the flow of time feels the same to both of you. If you ever WERE to hit the speed of light (say, spaghettification entering a black hole), time would just seem to stop. Your last second wouldn't seem any longer than any other, but it'd stretch into eternity.

This is why they have to go outside the bounds of traditional astrophysics into quantum wormholes/magnetic distortion to attain near-light-speed travel.

Head asploding yet?
CODE
while(!asleep()) {
                    sheep++;
}

Pwnstar

Pwnstar

• Retired Staff
  • 8,872 posts
QUOTE (evol262)
Theoretically, if you were to hit the speed of light, you'd essentially go nuclear.  Turn into pure energy, to put it simply.

Yeah that's what I was trying to say with the ultra light particle thing.

Yeah and that time travel/gravity thing is cool as well. The man who has travelled the furthest through time has moved 1/1000th of a second into the future by being in space for a long time.

Are you familar with Einsteins theory of Everything?
What came first, the spamming or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos, that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids reading thousands, literally thousands of posts about anime, 4chan, flaming, goatse and emos. Did I make terrible posts because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I made terrible posts?

evol262

evol262

• GA Private
  • 5,804 posts
Otherwise known as Grand Unified Theory? Of course. I rather think it's a crock, though. Superstring theory is doing it's damndest to explain it, but I think it's a waste of effort... Quantum theory cannot be rationalized with astrophysics.

What I meant by saying that you'd go nuclear was really that you'd go nuclear. Sure, parts of you would turn into... whatever, but you wouldn't exist as a person anymore. You'd just be lots of particles that do their own thing. Exactly like being U-235 in an atomic weapon.
CODE
while(!asleep()) {
                    sheep++;
}

Pwnstar

Pwnstar

• Retired Staff
  • 8,872 posts
Yes of course.

Still cool though. I wish that Marty didn't break the time machine.

you BROKE my DELOREAN

About the superstring theory: We exist in three dimensions and four if you count time. Is time a dimension or just an abstract theory? And as everybody knows the other six are all wrapped up witin themselves.

This cannot be worked out by a human because our minds cannot comprehend beyond the three/four dimensions in which we live. For example if I drew a man in a piece of paper and somehow give him life. He can only move in two dimensions Up/Down and Left/Right. If I was to reach down and pul him off the page he would not be able to understand the concept of depth. The same is true for us except we can move in three dimensions instead of two.

evol262

evol262

• GA Private
  • 5,804 posts
Well, the 4th dimension is a dimension. It so happens that the effect of gravity warping is causes the effect we consider time. Time would be just an abstract theory, as it's not properly correct to call the 4th dimension time only...

Superstring theory, in its current form, calls for as many as 26 dimensions. The problem is that only 4 of these are observable. Six if you -really- stretch. The other 20 exist to fufill the bizarre mathematical requirements of it. Superstring theory has predicted nothing. Not even one event. It's not falsifiable. Sure, it agrees with our observations, but every time a new observation/theory is made, all the math has to be reworked. Is this:

elegant physics, with THREE integrals? Does supersymmetry really make sense when we've NEVER observed ANY superpartners? Sure, we've never found a strange quark either, but the effects are observable.

We cannot really comprehend 4 dimensions, no. We CAN predict them. We CAN visualize them (I'm sure you've seen a Hypercube). There's still no call for 10-26 dimensions. Anywhere from 4-20 of them are considered to be wrapped up smaller than quarks. Never observable. Never testable. Never falsifiable. The concept is clean and nice, but the reality certainly is not.

Grand unified theory may be out there, but superstring theory is not the answer...
CODE
while(!asleep()) {
                    sheep++;
}

Pwnstar

Pwnstar

• Retired Staff
  • 8,872 posts
Hmm. Perhaps it is better to embark on a lost cause than to start something you are destined to fail, as it were?

Well the superstring theory may not be the answer but it is almost certainly part of the question. It is just the first step towards a much better theory.

jimbles

jimbles
  • Members
  • 737 posts
three integrals isn't so bad, some of my control theory is nasty... z-transforms next semester, but i digress. string theory, i just about get, m-theory scares me though, the idea of them colliding and forming new universes, just baffles me... that's why i copped out of theoretical physics and went for electronics...

evol262

evol262

• GA Private
  • 5,804 posts
Nah, control theory and Z-Transforms aren't so bad. Maybe 2 integrals. Some infinite series. It's liveable. I'm an EE, so high-level math and physics don't really scare me, but some of the superstring stuff looks like crap I scrawled out after a bottle of absinthe.

I agree that it's better to embark on a lost cause as long as you're going -somewhere-, but passing it off as scientific theory by advertising heavily on Nova without interviewing theoretical physicists who don't agree with it is bollocks. Mathematically feasable? Yes. An 'Elegant Universe?' No. Not when you really look at it.
CODE
while(!asleep()) {
                    sheep++;
}

STFU

STFU
  • Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • xfire:misfitx1
bleh multiple dimensions is silly to me. Good for fiction though. To me it is like a bird trying to fly through a window. It looks passable but when it trys to fly through the reality that the glass is in fact there the bird can not pass through.
Just because electrons can travel through metal does not mean I can walk through a closed metal door. Even if I could turn my body into electrons then pass through that would make me dead.

Ok so they create a engine that warps to a different dimension. It says when the machine is turned off it would appear again. How the fuck do you turn off somthing existing in a different dimension? Where would you locate it? lol
Is it really wise to try and create a black hole when we already know the danger involved?

Econojon

Econojon

MotM April 2006 teh_straterer

• GA Sergeant
  • 5,427 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:32
http://www.newscientistspace.com/article/m...hyperspace.html

Well, apparently most scientists agree with the science behind it according to this article. So that is a start, I think.

okih-imus

okih-imus
  • Members
  • 652 posts
Bah, quit trying to show off icon_cool.gif

Evolution22

Evolution22
  • Members
  • 78 posts
  • xfire:Evolution900
  • Interests:Games Games & More Games
if reaching the speed of light was so terribly hard then why go so fast? cant we just settle with half the speed of light for abit untill we see whats out there icon_razz.gif

Proxima Centauri being 4.2 light years away would mean you could get there in over 8 years so a sattilite could look for some aliens icon_biggrin.gif

also wouldnt traveling at the speed of light/faster would mean that you wountnt be able to see anything outside your space ship? would be more difficulte to even navigate once u reach that speed.

jimbles

jimbles
  • Members
  • 737 posts
"I was being interviewed for a job. During the interview, I started to read a magazine. The interviewer asked, 'What are you doing???' I said, 'Let me ask you a question. If I was driving at the speed of light, and turned the headlights on, would anything happen?' He said, 'I don't know.' I said to him, 'I don't think I want to work for your company.'" - Steven Wright

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users