Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

My Next Rig Upgrade.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Kazaii

Kazaii
  • Members
  • 318 posts
  • Steam ID:cc_lyger
  • Xbox / GFWL:Sgt Kaz
  • PSN:Kazaii
So I am upgrading just about all the core components of my pc.

The build will cost approx $800. I will add links to the parts when I get home, currently on my phone. As well as what I'm replacing.

MB - asus sabertooth z77
CPU - I7 3770k
RAM - 16GB corsair vengeance
case - Fractal DESIGN XL
CPU cooler - Corsair H80
Additional fans for the case

parts I will be keeping:
Sapphire 6990 GPU
corsair HX1000w PSU
fatality pro sound card (meh, but I don't have high quality monitors or headphones yet.)
Razer keyboard and mouse
Asus monitor

basically it will be a gaming, media, and virtual workstation rig.

Tempted by:
corsair H100 CPU cooler
Cosmos 2 case
a new keyboard
A real hobby

edit: Made all the new parts links, so you can see the products and prices.

My old specs are:

Sapphire 6990 i7 920 @ 4GHZ 6GB Corsair Dom 1TB WD HDD
Psyko 5.1 Noctua NH-U12P HAF 932 Fatal1ty Pro Sound
EVGA X58 X3SLI Asus VE248 LED Razer Mamba & Lycosa

copy and pasted from my Sitmos sig, lol

Edited by Kazaii, 10 July 2012 - 12:03 AM.

!~Orky's BF~!
%~Original_Sin's Best Friend~%
^~Byak's nemesis~^
*~The only person who thinks CakeCom is good looking~*
$~Jaylew likes me~$
@~Best Wardrobe October 2012~@
)~Greatest King of Jerusalem all years~(

CakeCom

CakeCom
  • Members
  • 1,484 posts
QUOTE (Kazaii @ Jul 9 2012, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
fatality pro sound card (meh, but I don't have high quality monitors or headphones yet.)

High quality monitors + sound cards = Yep

Whiskerz

Whiskerz
  • Members
  • 2,870 posts
  • xfire:Whiskerz
  • Interests:Games, Basketball, Lifting.
  • Steam ID:Whiskerz777
  • PSN:Whiskerz
Nice rig, I nearly got a Sabertooth Z77. As for you being tempted by a H100 it wouldn't really make that much difference with Ivy Bridge as your temps are gonna be hot either way. The problem is the heat has trouble leaving the chip at all at this die shrink (so the liquid in a cooler would remain mostly cool).

As for keyboards make sure its a mechanical keyboard, I have cherry browns and they feel soooo much better. And for a monitor I would recommend a Yamakasi Catleap, 2560x1440 and its an IPS so it looks great.

Build should be good though, how far are you looking to OC your CPU?

x_byakugan_x

x_byakugan_x

holy shit I have a title

• Global Moderators
  • 4,862 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:alphaferret415
  • PSN:alpha-ferret_415
  • Wii:Memorized?
  • Rofl-Rupees:None
All of you old shit would be upgrades for me.

QUOTE (Rickrolled @ Jan 10 2011, 04:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Love how the resident tough guy is happy to talk trash on an internet forum but back pedals as soon as he is called out. Typical coward. No doubt he'll respond to this with excessive bravado in order to restore his rightful place as a fully fledged internet badass.

I like to make werewolf...
MOVIES
bunny.jpg

Kazaii

Kazaii
  • Members
  • 318 posts
QUOTE (Whiskerz @ Jul 10 2012, 07:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice rig, I nearly got a Sabertooth Z77. As for you being tempted by a H100 it wouldn't really make that much difference with Ivy Bridge as your temps are gonna be hot either way. The problem is the heat has trouble leaving the chip at all at this die shrink (so the liquid in a cooler would remain mostly cool).

As for keyboards make sure its a mechanical keyboard, I have cherry browns and they feel soooo much better. And for a monitor I would recommend a Yamakasi Catleap, 2560x1440 and its an IPS so it looks great.

Build should be good though, how far are you looking to OC your CPU?

Gonna go for 5ghz.
I'm not a fan of mechanical keyboards tho.
Thanks for the suggestion on the screen. very intredasting. I would get it at a later date.

@byak

u mirin? I'm gonna keep all the old parts for a server rig or test machine. I still have my old 750w CPU in the closet.

edit: I will probably buy a new smaller mid tower case for the old parts tho. Seriously cannot stand the amount of Dust and Cat fur my HAF 932 lets in/collects. Maybe I'll get the Fractal R3.

Edited by Kazaii, 10 July 2012 - 09:36 PM.

!~Orky's BF~!
^~Byak's nemesis~^
$~Jaylew likes me~$

CakeCom

CakeCom
  • Members
  • 1,484 posts
You should just make a tower like original sin did

Kazaii

Kazaii
  • Members
  • 318 posts
I want to believe....

Also, if I was going to go through the effort of making my own case I wouldn't make a fucking lego case like the Google virgins (wtf did they ever accomplish?). I would make a sexy ass case that blew your mind and rewarded me with vast amounts of pussy or whatever feels good.
!~Orky's BF~!
^~Byak's nemesis~^
$~Jaylew likes me~$

CakeCom

CakeCom
  • Members
  • 1,484 posts
Why don't you make a tower completely covered in fans?

Like, there's so many fans that there's almost no flat surface (if any at all). The entire thing is just made of fans and air circulation will be perfect.

<Fucking genius

Kazaii

Kazaii
  • Members
  • 318 posts
QUOTE (CakeCom @ Jul 11 2012, 03:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why don't you make a tower completely covered in fans?

Like, there's so many fans that there's almost no flat surface (if any at all). The entire thing is just made of fans and air circulation will be perfect.

<Fucking genius

Omg. I'll call it wyndia!
!~Orky's BF~!
^~Byak's nemesis~^
$~Jaylew likes me~$

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:way2lazy2care
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
Do you really need a soundcard? Is it just in case you get better gear to actually use it? The MB already has 7.1 high def audio.
SPAMBOTSTOOKOVERMYSITE D:
Give me LoL Referals.

QUOTE (Virus52 @ Mar 3 2008, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ALL HAIL THE GREAT AND MIGHTY MOTH!

QUOTE (SN3S @ May 6 2008, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No sensuality; this is all for fitness.

Kazaii

Kazaii
  • Members
  • 318 posts
QUOTE (way2lazy2care @ Jul 11 2012, 02:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you really need a soundcard? Is it just in case you get better gear to actually use it? The MB already has 7.1 high def audio.

There is a noticeable quality different. 7.1 is just a form factor for the speaker setup. It does not imply quality.

I bought my girlfriend hhe Asus xonar essence and the different over onboard sound is extremely noticeable, yes, even in games. If I wanted a truly decent sound experience tho I would get krk monitors and an external amp.
!~Orky's BF~!
^~Byak's nemesis~^
$~Jaylew likes me~$

Kazaii

Kazaii
  • Members
  • 318 posts
Wow I'm beyond tempted by that catleap yamakasi q270 monitor. Read so many good things, thanks again for the heads up. I might even buy it before i upgrade my rig.
!~Orky's BF~!
^~Byak's nemesis~^
$~Jaylew likes me~$

Kazaii

Kazaii
  • Members
  • 318 posts
Bought the monitor. Inb4 buyer's remorse.
!~Orky's BF~!
^~Byak's nemesis~^
$~Jaylew likes me~$

j type

j type
  • Members
  • 2,690 posts
  • Steam ID:jtype
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
Well, as long as you're happy with the size of the thing, I wouldn't be too worried about it. I've heard nothing but great things about the Catleaps.

Personally, I like to keep my monitors at around 20-22", so that I can fit two of them comfortably on my desk.

Kazaii

Kazaii
  • Members
  • 318 posts
QUOTE (j type @ Jul 12 2012, 11:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, as long as you're happy with the size of the thing, I wouldn't be too worried about it. I've heard nothing but great things about the Catleaps.

Personally, I like to keep my monitors at around 20-22", so that I can fit two of them comfortably on my desk.

I'm a one monitor per computer kinda guy. Except for at work because it enhances productivity.

Which is why I am more concerned about using my 23" next to the 27" as a second monitor. Maybe I will use this current monitor as a monitor for my dedicated VM machine.

I will post pics/impressions of the monitor upon it's arrival.
!~Orky's BF~!
^~Byak's nemesis~^
$~Jaylew likes me~$

Whiskerz

Whiskerz
  • Members
  • 2,870 posts
QUOTE (Kazaii @ Jul 11 2012, 04:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gonna go for 5ghz.

Not that easy on Ivy Bridge, it gets more performance per clock though. (I'm on 4.5GHz on my 3570K which is about equivelent of 4.7 or 4.8 on a 2500K. I could get 4.7GHz but the voltage was a bit much for my liking and IBT took it a bit too high)

As for the Catleap I am using one right now, dat size and resolution and colours so satisfying. Only problem was mine came with a really bad AG coating (rare amongst Catleaps), but I could relatively easily remove it.

As for your dislike of mech keyboards, what switches have you tried? They can differ a fair bit in feel.

Kazaii

Kazaii
  • Members
  • 318 posts
Yeah, I did some reading after you alerted me. I'm fairly disappointed with the overclocking of ivy bridge. Either way, the 3770k ships at 3.9GHZ (turbo mode). My current stable OC of my i7 920 is 4 GHZ, and it's becoming less and less stable by the day. So that's already an upgrade. 4.6-4.7 will probably be my max. But every GHZ is an improvement over my 920.

Very excited to get my Catleap. It should arrive in a couple days icon_smile.gif. Sucks to hear about your AG coating. That is odd, considering most people love the fact that they lack that coating. I just got back into playing BF3 the other day because I know it's the only game that will pretty much wow me at the Catleap's res. Especially considering how unoptimized Crysis 2 is. I also may replay Witcher 2.

As for Mech keyboards. It's more-so the juice isn't worth the squeeze. They are extremely loud. In the past, I wouldn't have cared at all because I would be just some nerd locked up in my room. But if I was trying to game or even socialize on my computer while my girlfriend was watching a movie or trying to read she would go ape shit. They just don't feel good enough to the touch, in my opinion, to justify that noise. Regardless of how much better everyone tells me they are. I do think they look sexy as hell, tho, in most cases.

Thanks again for letting me know about the Korean monitors. Not even a few weeks ago I was complaining to someone that anything further than variations of 1080p monitors haven't really budged in price at all. It blew my mind to read all the reviews on the shipping speed, quality and price of these monitors. I let a few of my friends know about the monitors as well and agreed to be the guinea pig. I also opted to buy the pixel perfect version, but if I buy another, I will just buy the normal version as someone pointed out: "If you have 3 million pixels, who cares if 2 are dead? Especially if they're black". Most people said they didn't arrive with dead pixels anyway.

I'm also curious to see your system specs. What GPU are you running?

Cliffs:
>Disappointed in Ivy bridge overclocking
>My i7 920 sucks tho, so it's okay
>Mech keyboards are too loud, girlfriend get mad
>Excited for monitor, makes me wanna game more
>Please post your system specs.

!~Orky's BF~!
^~Byak's nemesis~^
$~Jaylew likes me~$

j type

j type
  • Members
  • 2,690 posts
  • Steam ID:jtype
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
You can buy mech keyboards with different switches, though, so you might have only tried the loudest ones, ie. the MX Blue switch.

It's worth noting that the switches themselves don't make all of the noise that you hear, the rest of the sound comes from bottoming out the key, which resonates through the casing itself and can be quite loud, depending on your typing habits (some people don't bottom out their keys, or learn not to, because you don't need to bottom them out with a mech switch).

Both of those things can be addressed. You can buy a quieter type of switch - I think the quietest of the Cherry Switches are the Reds, followed by the Browns/Blacks AFAIK. You can also buy a set of rubber O-rings that will fit around the base of the switch. This will dampen the sound of the keys bottoming out.

Edited by j type, 14 July 2012 - 01:57 PM.

Kazaii

Kazaii
  • Members
  • 318 posts
Intredasting. If I could get a quiet (no louder than a typical Microsoft keyboard) mech keyboard then I would def be all for it.
!~Orky's BF~!
^~Byak's nemesis~^
$~Jaylew likes me~$

Whiskerz

Whiskerz
  • Members
  • 2,870 posts
QUOTE (Kazaii @ Jul 15 2012, 03:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cliffs:
>Disappointed in Ivy bridge overclocking
>My i7 920 sucks tho, so it's okay
>Mech keyboards are too loud, girlfriend get mad
>Excited for monitor, makes me wanna game more
>Please post your system specs.

The OCing is ok though cause they are faster clock for clock and use less power. As for Keyboards like the other guy said sounds like you used MX Blues (i personally dislike), maybe give MX Browns a go, its what I use and the only noise is if you bottom out hard (like any keyboard).
Monitor is nice, I actually have one stuck pixel that wont unstick but i only notice on white webpages, even then only sometimes.

My Specs:
Mobo: Asus p8z77-v-deluxe
CPU: 3570K @ 4.5GHz
GPU: GTX680 @ 1300MHz Core, 7GHz effective memory
RAM: 8GB G Skill Ripjaws (Mild OC, forget numbers)
SSD: 256GB Crucial M4 for OS and programs, 512GB Crucial M4 for games and whatnot.

I think that will suffice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users