Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Help Me Upgrade! :o

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

flamefleir

flamefleir
  • Members
  • 197 posts
hey guys, i wanna upgrade my desktop to be able to play recent games (GW2/D3/BF3 etc) at medium to high settings. here are my specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 2.7GHz
RAM: G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 800
Video Card: HD 4770
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA74GM-S2
Power Supply: OCZ StealthXStream 500W

im guessing that my CPU is the weakest part. would upgrading just that be sufficient for my desire? im not in the market and not very knowledgeable but i know i could just base my purchase on newegg reviews, but i also want input from u guys, like any suggestions/advice, compatibility issues, bottlenecks, and whatnot etc etc etc... help would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by flamefleir, 07 May 2012 - 12:00 PM.

http://www.youtube.com/user/flamefleir
http://us.battle.net...oukoku/advanced
http://us.battle.net...achine/advanced
QUOTE (PwnDaddy123 @ Jun 23 2010, 11:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
lol @ these noobs who don't know who flamefleir is.

x_byakugan_x

x_byakugan_x

holy shit I have a title

• Global Moderators
  • 4,867 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:alphaferret415
  • PSN:alpha-ferret_415
  • Wii:Memorized?
  • Rofl-Rupees:None
I'm guessing you're in the same boat as me as I just saw your mobo.
New CPU = New mobo = New ram. Almost all mobos are using DDR3 now, and cant use DDR2. DDr3 is much cheaper anyways..
Your card looks dated too. I'd say you need $500~ to replace all that.

I'd start with your video card, cause if things still run like shit, you can use that same card for a new mobo if you decide to replace the other 3 things.

BF3 is in it's own category for being able to run on medium/high..
You should have much trouble with D3/blizzard games.

Edited by x_byakugan_x, 01 May 2012 - 09:01 PM.

QUOTE (Rickrolled @ Jan 10 2011, 04:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Love how the resident tough guy is happy to talk trash on an internet forum but back pedals as soon as he is called out. Typical coward. No doubt he'll respond to this with excessive bravado in order to restore his rightful place as a fully fledged internet badass.

I like to make werewolf...
MOVIES
bunny.jpg

oldSkool

oldSkool
  • Members
  • 259 posts
QUOTE (x_byakugan_x @ May 2 2012, 12:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm guessing you're in the same boat as me as I just saw your mobo.
New CPU = New mobo = New ram. Almost all mobos are using DDR3 now, and cant use DDR2. DDr3 is much cheaper anyways..

I'd start with your video card, cause if things still run like shit, you can use that same card for a new mobo if you decide to replace the other 3 things.

It's a sad reality many people are finding now - myself included.

If it were me, I'd start with Bya's suggestion.
At the end of the day, you may just need to bite the bullet (if you can, financially) and get a new system. Or by the parts over time.

Just like everything - the more you spend now, the longer it will last.
One day, when you're old enough - I'll tell you how I fought in the bit wars...

Nevermore

Nevermore
  • GA Private
  • 1,658 posts
  • Interests:Internets! Games! Music! Photography!
  • Gamer Army ID:1083
I think with PC purchases it needs to be less of what your budget is and more of what is the best you can afford, now work toward that goal.

Every time I build a PC for someone on a budget they end up wanting to upgrade it, but due to waiting long enough to have the extra cash, technology has upgraded faster than they have and now it doesn't make sense to upgrade the rig I built them.

I DO see the point in maxing out whatever board you have just to get the absolute most out of the rig, but if you're on a budget I wouldn't bother with any of it.

Cliffs:
Find what you want to buy
Save for it

flamefleir

flamefleir
  • Members
  • 197 posts
my cpu budget is ~$150 and i wanna try to avoid buying a new mobo, so im looking at these two AM3 CPUs: AMD Phenom II X4 965 and AMD Phenom II X4 975

is the 975 worth the price difference? i can get the 975 for $135 until 5/20 or i can get the 965 for $120

do yall recommend i upgrade my ram? is there a significant difference between DDR2 and DDR3? will i need DDR3 to run current games well? i just wanna upgrade my cpu and possibly my gpu, but if replacing other parts is really necessary im up for that too

QUOTE (Nevermore @ May 2 2012, 08:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cliffs:
Find what you want to buy
Save for it

i get what youre saying, but as u know technology is constantly getting better, so by the time i save enough money for a specific part then something else will be better than that part for the same amount of money, know what i mean? so its better to base purchases on how much someone is willing to spend at the time of wanting to upgrade, imo. i want to upgrade now so i can play Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2 without lag icon_biggrin.gif

Edited by flamefleir, 17 May 2012 - 08:09 PM.

x_byakugan_x

x_byakugan_x

holy shit I have a title

• Global Moderators
  • 4,867 posts
No there is not a significant difference between DDR2 and 3. IIRC DDR3 is just a little faster and more energy efficient. You can always manually change timings on ram and OC ram just like anything. I bet my DDR2's out perform most DDR3s with how I've set them up.

Anyway I recommend you buy your video card FIRST. Cause if games are still unplayable for you, you didn't go wrong. Youll be able to use that card on a future build.

If you wanna avoid mobo then yeah get a CPU for current... but if things still suck? Then you done goofed and wasted money on a CPU... at least it's cheap.

cliffs:
DDR2 and 3 are pretty much the same
Upgrade GPU first
Upgrade CPU if framerate still isn't cutting it for you. Get cheapest of the two you showed.

diablo 3 note: I'm playing it 1080p maxed out on a core2duo, 4gb ddr2 ram, gtx560Ti.

Edited by x_byakugan_x, 15 May 2012 - 08:44 PM.

Love how the resident tough guy is happy to talk trash on an internet forum but back pedals as soon as he is called out. Typical coward. No doubt he'll respond to this with excessive bravado in order to restore his rightful place as a fully fledged internet badass.

MOVIES
bunny.jpg

flamefleir

flamefleir
  • Members
  • 197 posts
QUOTE (x_byakugan_x @ May 15 2012, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyway I recommend you buy your video card FIRST. Cause if games are still unplayable for you, you didn't go wrong. Youll be able to use that card on a future build.

ah yeah that makes sense. i dunno why that didnt register in my head in your first post

for gpu im looking at HD 6850. that card is PCI Express 2.1 x16 but my mobo's slot is PCI Express x16. this means i have to replace my mobo right?

Edited by flamefleir, 17 May 2012 - 08:25 PM.

Spowis

Spowis
  • GA Private
  • 1,269 posts
  • Interests:FPS.
  • Steam ID:spowis
  • Xbox / GFWL:smpowis
  • PSN:smpowis
  • Rofl-Rupees:0
  • Gamer Army ID:4794
  • Company:Gamma
Please send me a PM of your budget so that I can create a rig that will wipe the damn floor with anything it comes into contact with.

The jump from playing Diablo 3 on high and BF3 on high is quite large, I'd probably have a think about how essential it is that you have everything on high for BF3 first and what resolution you'd be playing it on. Also your current board would support a 6850, my brother has one; they're decent cards and on the same tier as a GTX 460 1GB which will let you play D3 on high on a 1920x1080 resolution without any problems. Tbh though, it's all dependent on your budget.

Either way PM me, I presume that when you mentioned dollars we're talking USD/CAD?

Edited by Spowis, 21 May 2012 - 07:11 PM.

Left_4_Dead_Signature_by_Sitic.png

CakeCom

CakeCom
  • Members
  • 1,484 posts
QUOTE (Spowis @ May 21 2012, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Spowis, can I see what kind of rig about $1k would get right now?
Not including a tower or power supply (or any peripherals like a mouse / monitor / etc.)

Spowis

Spowis
  • GA Private
  • 1,269 posts
QUOTE (CakeCom @ May 22 2012, 06:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Spowis, can I see what kind of rig about $1k would get right now?
Not including a tower or power supply (or any peripherals like a mouse / monitor / etc.)

Tom's Hardware normally do System Builder marathons every so often. There was one article a couple months back here: http://www.tomshardw...clock,3160.html

Those prices will have probably dropped on the components since then and I would have opted for an Nvidia equivalent card (like an overclocked GTX 570/580) over a 7970 but meh. If you take into account the cost of the case and PSU, you'll be around that $1k mark.

Also, look at the benchmarks, you'll see BF3 pump out ~60 FPS on Ultra on 1920x1080, Skyrim is exact same story but was able to produce that result at a 2560x1600 resolution.

Of course spending that amount of money is only justifiable by the amount of hours a week you will spend playing 'that' high-end game, seeing as the main chunk of the budget will go on your card, it's always something to think about, but also on the other side of the coin whether you can see yourself want to still be using a sub-par card in 3 years down the line.

x_byakugan_x

x_byakugan_x

holy shit I have a title

• Global Moderators
  • 4,867 posts
iirc PCI express = PCI express and you can ignore the x16 2.1 2.0 shit cause theyre all backwards compatible, you just wont be using all of the cards features such as DX10 or DX11.

MOVIES
bunny.jpg

flamefleir

flamefleir
  • Members
  • 197 posts
(i sent a PM but i dont think it went through because i checked my Sent Items and saw no message icon_sad.gif so im putting it here)

im willing to spend $500. if there isnt a worthwhile difference between a $500 build and something cheaper then lemme know. im running 1920x1080 resolution

is there a noticeable difference between Medium and High settings in BF3? my main priority with BF3 is to run it without lag, so im fine with Medium settings if High settings require a bigger budget. one more question: would upgrading just my CPU and GPU be enough to run BF3/D3/Guild Wars 2 (medium to high settings)? because i would only need to spend ~$270 to replace those two parts with Phenom II X4 965 and HD 6850, and even less if i just replace my GPU

x_byakugan_x

x_byakugan_x

holy shit I have a title

• Global Moderators
  • 4,867 posts
BF3 is in a whole other universe on "being able to run".

The other games you mentioned should be fine with a GPU upgrade.
D3 looks like fucking titan quest, a game from 2006. For todays standards, it's not a great looking game. I'm running it on max at 1080p on a core2duo.

BF3, there actually isnt much different between low and high even, look at comparisons on youtube.

I recommend using the config utility for BF3
http://www.techpower...ad.php?t=154145

Combine this with Gamebooster, another program that actually works and you should see some major improvements. I play it smoothly on low without AA.

Gonna say it for probably the third time, buy your GPU first and then decide if you need a CPU.

MOVIES
bunny.jpg

Whiskerz

Whiskerz
  • Members
  • 2,870 posts
  • xfire:Whiskerz
  • Interests:Games, Basketball, Lifting.
  • Steam ID:Whiskerz777
  • PSN:Whiskerz
I would save a bit more money and go for a sandy bridge build, fuck Phenom IIs.

Spowis

Spowis
  • GA Private
  • 1,269 posts
QUOTE (Whiskerz @ May 27 2012, 03:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would save a bit more money and go for a sandy bridge build, fuck Phenom IIs.

That would require him to buy a new motherboard, most likely DDR3 RAM to go alongside it as I'm not aware without Googling intensively that there are Sandybridge/DDR2 Supporting mobos out there and then of course of the cost of the CPU itself. If he only wants to spend $500 on an entire build, what you're saying isn't going to work.

I sent you a PM Flame, TLDR version is to opt for a Phenom II X4 925 which will work with your motherboard regardless of which configuration it uses (these CPUs are more or less on the same level as an Intel Core i3-2100 which is a Sandybridge equivilent CPU in terms of system performance and I know that some Phenom II 955's and 965's will not work with that mobo) and to get your hands on a used 5850, which these days will cost you next to nothing - don't be fooled by the 6850, it's a weaker card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users