Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Game I Made For Android

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

UDP

UDP

Most Helpful Member '09 | The Community Contributor

• GA Private
  • 5,331 posts
  • xfire:XUndeadPersonX
  • Wii:3868004744953407
  • Rofl-Rupees:6
  • Gamer Army ID:3683
  • Company:Bravo
Hey, just finished a game I've been working on for Android. I've been working on the game and learning android as I went for a while now. It's the first program I've finished outside of school or work, anyways check it out here. Everything was done by me, getting someone else with artistic talent to help me out would've been nice, but seemed like it was more trouble than it was worth, especially since I don't actually know anybody like that, oh well.

The game is basically just like older turn based RPG style battles, but you just pick a team and play against other people.

Sig1.jpg

Yeah, he doesn't understand. It's not your post count, it's MAKING YOUR POSTS COUNT!

spiri7ussancti

spiri7ussancti
  • Members
  • 612 posts
  • Steam ID:spiri7us sancti
  • Xbox / GFWL:spiri7us sancti
  • Wii:lolololol
If i had an android, (or maybe a smart phone in general) i may have tried it.

Looks cool enough though.

This is spam.. but it's pretty good. - Byakugan

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
  • PSN:The_Con-Sept
I know this is a work in progress so I won't be harsh. I am using a Sensation 4G HTC.

You have the battle system down. Just one minor glitch. When you lose one of your monsters you can no longer do any combined attacks. At least... hang on let me try a theory....

Never mind. I wanted to be able to wait two turns but it doesn't let you wait if everyone is at 0 CD. The monster that is next in line has to attack if the CD of everyone is at 0. And you can only do the combined attack of the one that is waiting. (That is what I was doing wrong.) So when you only have two monsters it is really the choice of: do I want to heal all or blood lust? And in order to do that I have to remember to only attack with the one I don't want to use. Maybe a small indicator of which one you can use should be there? Light highlighting the name of the attack in a certain color like Yellow? I believe you could work in another risk/reward here for having the party all waiting an extra turn for maybe a super hidden secret mega ultra blast that requires all three monsters to be ready. But only allow it to happen once maybe? I dunno just trying to be creative here.

The AI is fine, but it would be nice if they posed a challenge. It never heals or uses any combined attacks on you. It does have the set strategy of attacking only one opponent at a time which is the most effective way to tear down an army. But it would be nice if it used power-ups against you if the user has a strategy that is good enough. (You know throw a curve ball in the mix.)

Next up is the number of monsters to choose from and their abilities. It is a very balanced set you have with just those four. I really can't think of anymore on the spot that should be added but you just might have the next "pokemon" here... I know it is a small project. But make one that confuses the other enemy but can only add in maybe an evasion ability to an ally? I don't know.

The graphics... The layout is fine but on my screen the enemies are in a black void while my team is in the smoke. (image stretch offset maybe?) The attack animations are fine but you could make the characters turn blue or red for glacial spear and blood lust respectively. You do have the small image indicators which is nice. I know you drew them yourself so I won't be harsh on how they look. Interesting none the less but I am sure you can get them animated with a simple sprite sheet like you have for the tremor attack.

No sound but I can help you there. I got all the time in the world to make up a bunch of sounds. I am not asking for anything just willing to help. I am just tired right now... I'll post up a few sounds for you on Tuesday.

Other than that its a nice little distraction.

oh forgot to add that in certain instances of choosing an ally or choosing an enemy... For me I have to touch above the image of the enemy/ally sometimes. Minor glitch if anything.

Edited by The_Con-Sept, 24 February 2012 - 07:13 AM.

UDP

UDP

• GA Private
  • 5,331 posts
Thanks for the feedback first of all, I was a little confused about some of the stuff you mentioned, maybe you could clarify for me.

QUOTE (The_Con-Sept @ Feb 24 2012, 07:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Never mind. I wanted to be able to wait two turns but it doesn't let you wait if everyone is at 0 CD. The monster that is next in line has to attack if the CD of everyone is at 0. And you can only do the combined attack of the one that is waiting. (That is what I was doing wrong.) So when you only have two monsters it is really the choice of: do I want to heal all or blood lust? And in order to do that I have to remember to only attack with the one I don't want to use. Maybe a small indicator of which one you can use should be there? Light highlighting the name of the attack in a certain color like Yellow? I believe you could work in another risk/reward here for having the party all waiting an extra turn for maybe a super hidden secret mega ultra blast that requires all three monsters to be ready. But only allow it to happen once maybe? I dunno just trying to be creative here.

Not sure what you mean by "a small indicator of which one you can use" - which move? It may not have been noticeable but there are little color spheres in the move description for combinations which indicate what monsters they require, ie red and white requires the red and white ones, etc. There are combinations using all 3, I don't know if I'd call it super hidden secret mega ultra blast though.

The AI is fine, but it would be nice if they posed a challenge. It never heals or uses any combined attacks on you. It does have the set strategy of attacking only one opponent at a time which is the most effective way to tear down an army. But it would be nice if it used power-ups against you if the user has a strategy that is good enough. (You know throw a curve ball in the mix.)

I didn't spend much time on the AI, I could definitely make it smarter, though I mainly wanted to have people playing against other people, so I didn't spend much time on it. Though when there are no people to play against that's a bit of a problem.

Next up is the number of monsters to choose from and their abilities. It is a very balanced set you have with just those four. I really can't think of anymore on the spot that should be added but you just might have the next "pokemon" here... I know it is a small project. But make one that confuses the other enemy but can only add in maybe an evasion ability to an ally? I don't know.

I've been told by someone else they wouldn't mind seeing 1 or 2 more added as well. It wouldn't be any time soon though, drawing the sprite sheets and doing everything else takes a while, also adding in 1 more monster means I have to add in every combination for them as well, so I'd have to add like another 10 moves or so. I may do it eventually, though not any time too soon.

The graphics... The layout is fine but on my screen the enemies are in a black void while my team is in the smoke. (image stretch offset maybe?) The attack animations are fine but you could make the characters turn blue or red for glacial spear and blood lust respectively. You do have the small image indicators which is nice. I know you drew them yourself so I won't be harsh on how they look. Interesting none the less but I am sure you can get them animated with a simple sprite sheet like you have for the tremor attack.

That's a bit concerning, not sure what you mean though, but it sounds bad. What do you mean by they're in a black void and your team is in the smoke?
EDIT: I think I might know what you mean actually... are you saying the blue background is behind your team but gets cut off for the other team, so their background is just black? That's easy to fix, though a fairly bad problem, I never saw it on the emulators, thanks.

No sound but I can help you there. I got all the time in the world to make up a bunch of sounds. I am not asking for anything just willing to help. I am just tired right now... I'll post up a few sounds for you on Tuesday.

Other than that its a nice little distraction.

oh forgot to add that in certain instances of choosing an ally or choosing an enemy... For me I have to touch above the image of the enemy/ally sometimes. Minor glitch if anything.

I don't actually know how to implement the sound, I could figure it out though. I didn't include any because I just can't make the sound so I didn't bother to learn how. I'll see if I can adjust the selection area, it's a bit tricky to get it working well on every screen size though.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

Sig1.jpg

Yeah, he doesn't understand. It's not your post count, it's MAKING YOUR POSTS COUNT!

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
QUOTE (UDP @ Feb 24 2012, 06:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not sure what you mean by "a small indicator of which one you can use" - which move? It may not have been noticeable but there are little color spheres in the move description for combinations which indicate what monsters they require, ie red and white requires the red and white ones, etc. There are combinations using all 3, I don't know if I'd call it super hidden secret mega ultra blast though.

I never noticed the dots on the side but its hard to notice which combination move you can use when going through the combination move list. Highlighting the ones you can use in yellow text might help people see which one is available at that given turn.

I didn't spend much time on the AI, I could definitely make it smarter, though I mainly wanted to have people playing against other people, so I didn't spend much time on it. Though when there are no people to play against that's a bit of a problem.

I tried playing it online but... I couldn't find anyone. Then I got a fare from a bar. The AI should be an easy fix.

I've been told by someone else they wouldn't mind seeing 1 or 2 more added as well. It wouldn't be any time soon though, drawing the sprite sheets and doing everything else takes a while, also adding in 1 more monster means I have to add in every combination for them as well, so I'd have to add like another 10 moves or so. I may do it eventually, though not any time too soon.

I know it is a small project so add one at a time. And I am also not sure if the enemies are supposed to have an animation or not.

That's a bit concerning, not sure what you mean though, but it sounds bad. What do you mean by they're in a black void and your team is in the smoke?
EDIT: I think I might know what you mean actually... are you saying the blue background is behind your team but gets cut off for the other team, so their background is just black? That's easy to fix, though a fairly bad problem, I never saw it on the emulators, thanks.

Yeah it is exactly how you described it above. It puts the enemies in the black screen part of it. I was kind of thinking of a little joke for the background being a volleyball court.

I don't actually know how to implement the sound, I could figure it out though. I didn't include any because I just can't make the sound so I didn't bother to learn how. I'll see if I can adjust the selection area, it's a bit tricky to get it working well on every screen size though.

I believe it is nothing more than a recall code on a certain frame for sound. But I don't know how your engine works. And putting sounds in a game that you found online could get you sued so I thought I would just make a bunch for you and let you put it in your game with no harm or foul.

And like I said the selection works fine at the beginning, but over time I find myself trying to figure out where to click on the allies and the enemies.

UDP

UDP

• GA Private
  • 5,331 posts
I just wrote in the quote, easier that way.
QUOTE (The_Con-Sept @ Feb 24 2012, 05:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I never noticed the dots on the side but its hard to notice which combination move you can use when going through the combination move list. Highlighting the ones you can use in yellow text might help people see which one is available at that given turn.
Having some trouble implementing this, hopefully I'll figure it out tomorrow.

I tried playing it online but... I couldn't find anyone. Then I got a fare from a bar. The AI should be an easy fix.
Not sure what you mean fare from a bar? Yeah AI won't be too hard to fix.

I know it is a small project so add one at a time. And I am also not sure if the enemies are supposed to have an animation or not.
Not sure what you mean enemies having an animation or not?

Yeah it is exactly how you described it above. It puts the enemies in the black screen part of it. I was kind of thinking of a little joke for the background being a volleyball court.
I think this should be fixed now.

I believe it is nothing more than a recall code on a certain frame for sound. But I don't know how your engine works. And putting sounds in a game that you found online could get you sued so I thought I would just make a bunch for you and let you put it in your game with no harm or foul.
If you're giving me free audio to use I'll gladly take it, just PM me a link or whatever.

And like I said the selection works fine at the beginning, but over time I find myself trying to figure out where to click on the allies and the enemies.
It shouldn't change over time or anything, I made the selection area a bit bigger so it might be easier now.

Sig1.jpg

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
http://www.newground...o/listen/473842

Here is what I have so far... I am having trouble finding a good tremor effect....

First sound is Glacial Spike. Second is Poison Spear or dart. Third is Energy Blast. Fourth is Nightmare. Fifth is Vampiric Touch.

I know it is all on one mp3 but I can make them separate.

UDP

UDP

• GA Private
  • 5,331 posts
Sounds pretty good, I think I'd have to loop the moving sound until something that has to move hits them, like glacial spike, loop the moving sound and then play the crashing sound at the end. I added in better AI, more clear when you can use combos (text is green when you can use and burgundy when you can't, also added the colours next to the name of the combo so you can see what monsters you need to use). I also added in a dead graphic, so when a monster dies they are transparent to show they're dead. I'm more trying to get downloads now, not the easiest thing to do, although there's still a few things I want to change/add like I'll have to look into the sound soon.

Sig1.jpg

Andrack

Andrack
  • GA Private
  • 2,037 posts
  • PSN:Andrack64
  • Gamer Army ID:1202
  • Company:Kilo
I don't have an android so I can't play your game but just curious, what language did you code it in and what program did you use to make it (Visual Studio, Notepad++, Eclipse, etc)?
I've thought about making games but I always end up just playing them instead.

UDP

UDP

• GA Private
  • 5,331 posts
It's java and I used Eclipse, I think pretty much everyone that codes in Java uses either Eclipse or IntelliJ. Everything is setup nicely for android in eclipse though, also I've never used IntelliJ and I don't think it's free like eclipse. I wrote the server in node.js, used Sublime Text 2 text editor for that, though the editor for that didn't really matter, notepad++ would've been fine too, just wanted to try it.

I don't know if java is the best for making games though, you could check out unity or maybe flash.

Sig1.jpg

Andrack

Andrack
  • GA Private
  • 2,037 posts
  • PSN:Andrack64
  • Gamer Army ID:1202
  • Company:Kilo
Thanks, I feel the most familiar with java so that would've been my first choice.

QUOTE (UDP @ Mar 2 2012, 07:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know if java is the best for making games though

After playing Minecraft since it was in alpha, I've been thinking the same.

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
Tomorrow night I will be creating more sound effects and quite possibly some background music.

UDP

UDP

• GA Private
  • 5,331 posts
Cool, I made another update to the how to play section, hopefully it makes more sense now. Going to upload it soon.

Sig1.jpg

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
Found a small glitch in the AI. I have the gray face dude, the blue three tentacle dude and the Rock like dude. Enemy team has red dude then rock dude, then another red dude.

My team is all alive. Enemy team has rock dude dead.

Enemy is stuck picking an ally to use Vampiric touch on. If I lock my phone and unlock it again it will proceed but I think it is a bit of a cheat considering it doesn't add the effect to the enemy team when I get back on my phone and I can attack several times skipping an enemies turn.

By the way. Nice hidden specials like Meteor Shower. Two red guys.

I am still having trouble trying to create an earth quake sound... shit... This one is a challenge. I got Shadow Star and Healing Touch done. But I don't like the healing touch myself. Gonna work on it more.

Edited by The_Con-Sept, 06 March 2012 - 09:48 PM.

UDP

UDP

• GA Private
  • 5,331 posts
Not sure what you mean by the glitch, is the computer just being stupid or is something actually broken, like something that shouldn't be possible, it sounds like something's broken. I'm guessing they're trying to use it on the dead guy, I think I forgot to check if they're dead. In regards to locking/unlocking phone to skip turns, does that work only after the other bug happened or can you always do that? If it only happened after the other bug I'm guessing stuff just got messed up, I'm a little surprised it didn't crash.

EDIT: The AI bug should be fixed now, just updated.

Sig1.jpg

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
QUOTE (UDP @ Mar 6 2012, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not sure what you mean by the glitch, is the computer just being stupid or is something actually broken, like something that shouldn't be possible, it sounds like something's broken. I'm guessing they're trying to use it on the dead guy, I think I forgot to check if they're dead. In regards to locking/unlocking phone to skip turns, does that work only after the other bug happened or can you always do that? If it only happened after the other bug I'm guessing stuff just got messed up, I'm a little surprised it didn't crash.

EDIT: The AI bug should be fixed now, just updated.

Here are some User Interface Sounds:

http://www.newground...75035?updated=1

1. Up/Down
2. Cancel
3. Accept
4. Error

I will have to test the new version of it. I am still trying to figure out what type of music should go to this.

Edit: I have to stop making Soccer Stadium rally music.... I dunno take a listen and tell me what you think of the melody:

http://www.newground...75047?updated=1

Edited by The_Con-Sept, 06 March 2012 - 11:08 PM.

UDP

UDP

• GA Private
  • 5,331 posts
Sounds good, I think people might get tired of it though just because its 30s, you might listen to it 6 or 7 times each game. Not much you can do about that, could always have the option to mute if they're tired of it. I think I'd have to try playing while listening to it a few times.

Sig1.jpg

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
QUOTE (UDP @ Mar 7 2012, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sounds good, I think people might get tired of it though just because its 30s, you might listen to it 6 or 7 times each game. Not much you can do about that, could always have the option to mute if they're tired of it. I think I'd have to try playing while listening to it a few times.

That was just the melody. I separated it into two different instruments to show you how I can manipulate it with simple synths. I haven't really started on the Harmony for it yet. My other songs found on that same website in my collection are much better but I thought about making a unique theme for it.

UDP

UDP

• GA Private
  • 5,331 posts
Ah, cool. I look forward to hearing it.

Sig1.jpg

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
Shit... I won't be able to add anything this tuesday. I will be teaching my room mate how to drive a cab.... at night... like me... I will try to create a better background music when I wake up this afternoon though. AW FUCK... forgot to record my earnings....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users