Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Space Janitors + Other Ramblings

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

Flukie Lukie

Flukie Lukie
  • Members
  • 212 posts
  • xfire:flukielukie
  • Xbox / GFWL:Fluk13 Luk13
QUOTE (LalaLand @ Mar 9 2012, 02:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll admit I feel the same way. I gave the first episode a try and it just wasn't for me, it felt a little stiff. I may give another few episodes a try just so it has a fair chance but right now it was just not a good fit I guess for me. But I'm very happy they're finding success -- the guys behind PP deserve to and I'm always happy to see a web show that has clearly TONS of effort put into it get success. For the future of Web series it's important. icon_smile.gif

Someone else in this thread mentioned some of the web stuff is starting to feel too "TV". I think that's a good thing honestly. There will always be the opportunity for someone - anyone - to pick up a camera and upload their amateur footage. But at the same time the option and ability for serious filmmakers to add more professionalism to their work and have it exist successfully online is great too. All about options.

Though I like how web series are continuing to grow and get better and better. The "medium" isn't going anywhere so long as something like SOPA doesn't kill the internet. icon_smile.gif

The thing is theres a difference between TV feeling and professionalism.

Take Red Letter Media for example their "Half in the Bag" series is incredibly well done, its done fortnightly (to a quick schedule) its got a good camera setup and its paced well and its just a review show, its even got a few gags in there but it is as professional as you can get, however watching that crappy behind the scenes shit is what makes me feel like its "TV" where its not actually showing them making anything its just a quick 30 seconds clip of the show.

It's got too much post production and it just doesn't fit nicely imo.

TV as a format doesn't need to be something people strive to meet, its just professional standards, the only difference really between TV and web is the way things are done really, anyone with a 1080p camera with the right knowhow can really make something that can look like its from TV or even Hollywood.

Yet watching this shows behind the scenes shit it looks like they are taking the bulky unneccesary bits that latch onto TV inflating the production costs and doing it with the web.

That's why for example you have those cheap and cheerful shows designed to make money like TBBT by pumping out content from different writers with no personality or attempt at doing anything special. I look for quality content online and I personally don't think emulating television is by definition quality its just a format and a tired one aswell.

Original Sin

Original Sin
  • GA Private
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Gaming, Swimming
  • Xbox / GFWL:Original Sin33
  • PSN:Maybe Someday
  • Rofl-Rupees:3
  • Gamer Army ID:180
Episode 2 of Space Janitors is out.

monsoonlol.png

"Don't be ashamed. It's only nature running its course."

HalcyonAndOn

HalcyonAndOn
  • GA Private
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:Team Fortress 2; Half Life series; Harvest Moon, Especially Friends of Mineral Town; Sci-fi racers, such as F-Zero, and Mario Kart; Resident Evil 4, Starcraft, Super Smash Bros., Left 4 dead.
  • Steam ID:Sithlord9
  • Wii:6525081732697996
  • Gamer Army ID:3142
I'm going to be brutally honest. Space janitors is one of the most un-funny and boring shows I've seen. I can't believe Geoff and Davin made this, when they previously made PP. I really hope it gets better some how, but the first two episodes have been really bad. Just my opinion though.

Wolfenbarg

Wolfenbarg
  • Members
  • 44 posts
Opening joke was good, and I really like the little confessional booth set, but everything else was just kind of boring. The green screen also is just too obviously fake. Despite being made for peanuts, Doomsday Arcade is still the best looking show the Escapist ever produced.

Nevermore

Nevermore
  • GA Private
  • 1,658 posts
  • Interests:Internets! Games! Music! Photography!
  • Gamer Army ID:1083
lol a brony thinks its boring

lol

Original Sin

Original Sin
  • GA Private
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Gaming, Swimming
  • Xbox / GFWL:Original Sin33
  • PSN:Maybe Someday
  • Rofl-Rupees:3
  • Gamer Army ID:180
I actually thought the same thing... but I'll hold off final judgement until the end of season 1.

monsoonlol.png

"Don't be ashamed. It's only nature running its course."

Jarett

Jarett
  • Root Admin
  • 109 posts
QUOTE (HalcyonAndOn @ Apr 14 2012, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm going to be brutally honest. Space janitors is one of the most un-funny and boring shows I've seen. I can't believe Geoff and Davin made this, when they previously made PP. I really hope it gets better some how, but the first two episodes have been really bad. Just my opinion though.

That could be because Geoff and Davin did not "make" Pure Pwnage? Davin was ROFLMAO's lawyer and worked on our expanded universe stuff (videos like the Jack Thompson song, etc.). He was not involved creatively in the web/TV series outside of a couple scenes.

The more you know!

Nevermore

Nevermore
  • GA Private
  • 1,658 posts

pp_smiley13.gif

CakeCom

CakeCom
  • Members
  • 1,484 posts
QUOTE (Jarett @ Apr 15 2012, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That could be because Geoff and Davin did not "make" Pure Pwnage? Davin was ROFLMAO's lawyer and worked on our expanded universe stuff (videos like the Jack Thompson song, etc.). He was not involved creatively in the web/TV series outside of a couple scenes.

The more you know!

pp_smiley4.gif
Pwnin' n00bs since '04

*Edit*

In defense of the show, it kind of makes me laugh sometimes.

And I still think the greenscreen is supposed to look that bad, I think it's part of the joke.
Like an exaggeration of how bad greenscreen sometimes looks in movies.

Edited by CakeCom, 15 April 2012 - 11:06 AM.

StrikerZero

StrikerZero
  • Members
  • 818 posts
QUOTE (Jarett @ Apr 15 2012, 06:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The more you know!

Would you consider PP Stonerish? (TV Show more then Web-Show). After seeing the bright vibrant colors in the TV show sets, it got me thinking.

Anyways Episode 2 - Alien Homage was a good laugh in the beginning. I think this one was better then the first episode cause the world is explored more. Wasn't that funny, but more interesting. Seeing the different references was pretty much what I enjoyed. I

Edited by StrikerZero, 15 April 2012 - 02:12 PM.

QuinoaKale

QuinoaKale
  • Members
  • 16 posts
  • xfire:steam: quinoak
  • Xbox / GFWL:Quinoak
I thought it was pretty entertaining! Not quite as funny as the show Jarett's been putting on the last couple years though.
QUOTE (Geoff Lapaire @ Apr 12 2011, 03:30 PM)
It's best not to take things too seriously, especially on the Internet!

x_byakugan_x

x_byakugan_x

holy shit I have a title

• Global Moderators
  • 4,864 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:alphaferret415
  • PSN:alpha-ferret_415
  • Wii:Memorized?
  • Rofl-Rupees:None
QUOTE (StrikerZero @ Apr 15 2012, 12:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Would you consider PP Stonerish?

What...? PP isn't at all stonerish.... Check out anything on adult swim these days. and what's the point of that question anyway?

QUOTE (Nevermore @ Apr 15 2012, 07:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

pp_smiley13.gif

QFT

QUOTE (Rickrolled @ Jan 10 2011, 04:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Love how the resident tough guy is happy to talk trash on an internet forum but back pedals as soon as he is called out. Typical coward. No doubt he'll respond to this with excessive bravado in order to restore his rightful place as a fully fledged internet badass.

I like to make werewolf...
MOVIES
bunny.jpg

StrikerZero

StrikerZero
  • Members
  • 818 posts
QUOTE (x_byakugan_x @ Apr 15 2012, 05:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What...? PP isn't at all stonerish.... Check out anything on adult swim these days. and what's the point of that question anyway?

QFT

Considering they had 420 References in the Web Series, a character out right smoking in the TV series. and the only people I know who aren't gamers who enjoy both were stoners lol. I was wondering if it could be listed as having stoner attributes.

Edited by StrikerZero, 15 April 2012 - 11:01 PM.

CakeCom

CakeCom
  • Members
  • 1,484 posts
Well no, the entire world revolves around weed. That's why there's 420 references in My Little Pony.

Wolfenbarg

Wolfenbarg
  • Members
  • 44 posts
QUOTE (Nevermore @ Apr 15 2012, 02:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
lol a brony thinks its boring

lol

Okay... and?

QUOTE (CakeCom @ Apr 15 2012, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
pp_smiley4.gif
Pwnin' n00bs since '04

*Edit*

In defense of the show, it kind of makes me laugh sometimes.

And I still think the greenscreen is supposed to look that bad, I think it's part of the joke.
Like an exaggeration of how bad greenscreen sometimes looks in movies.

I can appreciate meta humor, but since the episode clearly built up to that scene and tried to make us feel something in it, it just felt awkward. They could have used the blank soundstage to better effect.

CakeCom

CakeCom
  • Members
  • 1,484 posts
y'know what.

Fuck it. I've watched the episode 3 times now and it's actually very funny not funny at all.

It's very, very, forced humor and yeah I think you may be right... the greenscreen thing may not be meta humor.

Done attempting to defend this episode, it was all in all very awkward + forced.

The only part of the episode that was even somewhat enjoyable was the clones.

Nevermore

Nevermore
  • GA Private
  • 1,658 posts
Good enough to make you watch it three times *shrug*

The B.I.V.

The B.I.V.
  • Members
  • 2,587 posts
  • xfire:Balls!!!
  • Interests:Urban Rivals (online CCG), Writing, Zero Hour, Dawn o' War, CS:Source, Snowboarding/Waterskiing, Family man with wife and 6 lil ones. Favorite music artists (In no particular order): Chris Isaak, The Corrs, Bone Thugs N Harmony, The Donnas, Eminem, Pam Tillis. NBA B-ball (Go Jazz!).
  • Xbox / GFWL:Sux
  • PSN:Mah
  • Wii:Console
  • Rofl-Rupees:15
I can't really put my finger on why this sucks so much. Some of the jokes should be funny...the Dr. Who-ish intro music, the Hal-9000-like therapist thing...but they're just...not...
sigs SUCK!
I'm HipHoppa in Urban Rivals, the greatest, free-est online CCG EVAR!!!!

DarkAscension

DarkAscension
  • GA Corporal
  • 1,796 posts
  • xfire:CAN'T BE BOTHERED TO DOWNLOAD
  • Interests:Gaming, Pure Pwnage, Acting, Filmmaking, Writing and Reading (in that order).
  • Xbox / GFWL:K1d P5ycho
  • PSN:K1dP5ycho
  • Gamer Army ID:530
QUOTE (Nevermore @ Apr 17 2012, 01:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good enough to make you watch it three times *shrug*

I think he was trying to go back and find humor in the jokes.
19/09/2012 - Welcome Back Pure Pwnage!

CakeCom

CakeCom
  • Members
  • 1,484 posts
QUOTE (DarkAscension @ Apr 16 2012, 01:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think he was trying to go back and find humor in the jokes.

Haha, kind of this.

Well I mean, it's pretty easy to make me laugh and simple things like the "don't ask, don't tell" joke even put a smile on my face. The dialogue though is... pretty rough. It all feels very forced and awkward. Kind of like a few of those really awkward PP TV episodes... not sure if I was the only one that felt like that tho.

Not to say the PP TV series was terrible or anything, it had some great episodes. But there was 2 or 3 really odd episodes, and for some reason it gave me the exact same sort of awkward, out of place feeling.

*Shrug* I honestly liked Episode 1 of this. But yeah, don't think I can say this episode had much going for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users