Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Space Janitors + Other Ramblings

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

Mysticman89

Mysticman89
  • GA Private
  • 180 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:3030
  • Company:Charlie
I could see it being interesting. Although, it's not there yet, as this didn't seem like a proper episode.

I haven't watched one of every series on the escapist to know, but aren't all the videos there roughly 5 minutes-ish? 8 episodes (does this count as the first, leaving 7 more?) * 5 min is only 40 minutes, not a whole lot of time to develop things much. And if the ~3 minute thing done here applies to all the episodes, the situation is even worse.

Considering they've both had experiance with decent 20min episode things (PP, PP TV, BOL*, probably others I don't know about), I worry that they won't have time to meet their full potential.

* = (Is BoL still alive these days? The site is semi-broken so I can't see if theres been any update posts.)

CakeCom

CakeCom
  • Members
  • 1,484 posts
BoL was boring imo.

inb4 rage.

StrikerZero

StrikerZero
  • Members
  • 818 posts
to be honest me and my friend didn't like it that much. We didn't really laugh, I mean we know what type of humor they are going for, its just their delivery wasn't good. The humor in question is funny to us, but if its not deliver properly its not gonna garner laughs. the Sci-Fi references were ok (soylent green, imo was the best, cause it was more or less subtle), I mean just cause your referencing Starwars (or even parody) doesn't mean its going to be automatically good.

This more or less reminds me of a Pilot, which I think it is, so a lot of this is really excusable, but if the final product is going to be like this, I don't think this will be destined for success.

Nevermore

Nevermore
  • GA Private
  • 1,658 posts
  • Interests:Internets! Games! Music! Photography!
  • Gamer Army ID:1083
QUOTE (StrikerZero @ Feb 27 2012, 06:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
to be honest me and my friend didn't like it that much. We didn't really laugh, I mean we know what type of humor they are going for, its just their delivery wasn't good. The humor in question is funny to us, but if its not deliver properly its not gonna garner laughs. the Sci-Fi references were ok (soylent green, imo was the best, cause it was more or less subtle), I mean just cause your referencing Starwars (or even parody) doesn't mean its going to be automatically good.

This more or less reminds me of a Pilot, which I think it is, so a lot of this is really excusable, but if the final product is going to be like this, I don't think this will be destined for success.

Word.

If they warm into it right, I can see it working

It's on a knifes edge right now .. but hey it's a 3min teaser so I'll STFU

oldSkool

oldSkool
  • Members
  • 259 posts
QUOTE (Mysticman89 @ Feb 27 2012, 02:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
* = (Is BoL still alive these days? The site is semi-broken so I can't see if theres been any update posts.)

The final episode was released about 6 months ago, or so. You COULD download the entire 'film' (all parts together)...

Seems the site has gone bung. :\
One day, when you're old enough - I'll tell you how I fought in the bit wars...

Wolfenbarg

Wolfenbarg
  • Members
  • 44 posts
QUOTE (Mysticman89 @ Feb 26 2012, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I could see it being interesting. Although, it's not there yet, as this didn't seem like a proper episode.

I haven't watched one of every series on the escapist to know, but aren't all the videos there roughly 5 minutes-ish? 8 episodes (does this count as the first, leaving 7 more?) * 5 min is only 40 minutes, not a whole lot of time to develop things much. And if the ~3 minute thing done here applies to all the episodes, the situation is even worse.

Considering they've both had experiance with decent 20min episode things (PP, PP TV, BOL*, probably others I don't know about), I worry that they won't have time to meet their full potential.

The Escapist's narrative series average out longer than 5 minutes. Doomsday Arcade and Apocalypse Lane averaged out 10+ minutes per episode when they really got running. I also hope Space Janitors at least rises to that, otherwise it will go the way of A Good Knight's Quest, where every episode basically ended right as you became interested. With a production of this scale, it would really be a waste to make episodes this short.

LalaLand

LalaLand
  • Members
  • 1,327 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction. Pure Pwnage. Comedy.
QUOTE (Wolfenbarg @ Feb 27 2012, 05:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also hope Space Janitors at least rises to that, otherwise it will go the way of A Good Knight's Quest, where every episode basically ended right as you became interested. With a production of this scale, it would really be a waste to make episodes this short.

Doesn't Red Vs Blue do that? I remember when RvB first came out the episodes were so short I decided to not bother continuing to watch it. But it's popular none the less..

I agree that PP has obviously proven that longer content is better in the long run though. I'd much rather wait 4 months for a 'proper' lengthened episode than suffer week after week of frustratingly short cliff hanger based stuff.

Flukie Lukie

Flukie Lukie
  • Members
  • 212 posts
  • xfire:flukielukie
  • Xbox / GFWL:Fluk13 Luk13
Not for me I'm afraid...

I'll watch the second episode but man, I don't really see how they can make anything out of these characters worth watching without giving them time to develop even if they do... It feels more like a project than a show honestly.

There's no Jeremy level of character, just two dudes that want something.. I can't see hilarity ensuing for any of these characters, I just want standout main characters personally.

oldSkool

oldSkool
  • Members
  • 259 posts
QUOTE (LalaLand @ Feb 28 2012, 09:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Doesn't Red Vs Blue do that? I remember when RvB first came out the episodes were so short I decided to not bother continuing to watch it.

IMHO, Red Vs Blue can only be watched in small doses - much like Jay and Silent Bob...

I've only ever managed to get half way through a RvB season back-to-back before I got bored or annoyed with it.
One day, when you're old enough - I'll tell you how I fought in the bit wars...

OC-138

OC-138
  • Members
  • 66 posts
  • PSN:OC-138
That shit was as gay as aids. EPIC FAIL!

Also wasnt that the fat guy who guitar battles jeremy in an episode of season 2, pretty sure it is.

LalaLand

LalaLand
  • Members
  • 1,327 posts
QUOTE (oldSkool @ Mar 1 2012, 04:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
IMHO, Red Vs Blue can only be watched in small doses - much like Jay and Silent Bob...

I've only ever managed to get half way through a RvB season back-to-back before I got bored or annoyed with it.

Heh. I just can't bother with stuff so short, it's too frustrating for me.

The B.I.V.

The B.I.V.
  • Members
  • 2,591 posts
  • xfire:Balls!!!
  • Interests:Urban Rivals (online CCG), Writing, Zero Hour, Dawn o' War, CS:Source, Snowboarding/Waterskiing, Family man with wife and 6 lil ones. Favorite music artists (In no particular order): Chris Isaak, The Corrs, Bone Thugs N Harmony, The Donnas, Eminem, Pam Tillis. NBA B-ball (Go Jazz!).
  • Xbox / GFWL:Sux
  • PSN:Mah
  • Wii:Console
  • Rofl-Rupees:15
QUOTE (OC-138 @ Mar 1 2012, 05:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also wasnt that the fat guy who guitar battles jeremy in an episode of season 2, pretty sure it is.

Oohh!!! That's IT! I knew he looked famliar. You nailed it.
sigs SUCK!
I'm HipHoppa in Urban Rivals, the greatest, free-est online CCG EVAR!!!!

Wolfenbarg

Wolfenbarg
  • Members
  • 44 posts
QUOTE (oldSkool @ Feb 27 2012, 04:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The final episode was released about 6 months ago, or so. You COULD download the entire 'film' (all parts together)...

Seems the site has gone bung. :\

Are there really only four parts? It's not really a complete product if it ends like that...

CakeCom

CakeCom
  • Members
  • 1,484 posts
Btw, anyone who it took time to realize who the other janitor was shame on you. For reals.

The dude was in more than just a guitar battle with Jeremy, he's also been on TV for quite a while now (not just commercials, he was on a pretty funny comedy show and I've seen him make weird appearances every once in a while).

Even if you didn't know him outside of PP, I'm sure we've all seen that guitar episode quite a few times now. I dunno, I just immediately recognize him wherever I see him. See what would confuse me is seeing someone like the actor for Kris show up in something. She had wayyy less screen time and she doesn't really stand out in a crowd. This guy on the other hand is just unique looking, I dunno.

/rant about people not being able to recognize guitar hero guy.

StrikerZero

StrikerZero
  • Members
  • 818 posts
QUOTE (CakeCom @ Mar 1 2012, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Btw, anyone who it took time to realize who the other janitor was shame on you. For reals.

The dude was in more than just a guitar battle with Jeremy, he's also been on TV for quite a while now (not just commercials, he was on a pretty funny comedy show and I've seen him make weird appearances every once in a while).

Even if you didn't know him outside of PP, I'm sure we've all seen that guitar episode quite a few times now. I dunno, I just immediately recognize him wherever I see him. See what would confuse me is seeing someone like the actor for Kris show up in something. She had wayyy less screen time and she doesn't really stand out in a crowd. This guy on the other hand is just unique looking, I dunno.

/rant about people not being able to recognize guitar hero guy.

Kris was in the PP TV Show, during the dancing scenes with Doug I think she was on the left, you could see Davin in those scenes also.

LalaLand

LalaLand
  • Members
  • 1,327 posts
They don't have their own forums for Space Janitors, but there is a thread for the first episode here: http://www.escapistm...sode-1#13939718

I thought it was pretty interesting to see mostly positive opinions regardless of the fact - perhaps in spite of - that no one seems to know about Pure Pwnage.

Flukie Lukie

Flukie Lukie
  • Members
  • 212 posts
  • xfire:flukielukie
  • Xbox / GFWL:Fluk13 Luk13
If you want to see 30 seconds of "behind the scenes" basically them recording a bit with a green screen then.. watch this.

http://www.escapistm...hind-the-Scenes

Is it just me or is the show too.. "TV" I mean even more so than Pure Pwnage it feels more akin to shows like TBBT or How I met your Mother in its line delivery and style I can see from this little clip.

It just makes me sad really, I'm happy Geoff is doing something but they really missed out with Pure Pwnage, It could of come back bigger and betterer but nah these forums will probably close sometime in the future, but I'll still remember the great show that was.

CakeCom

CakeCom
  • Members
  • 1,484 posts
QUOTE (Flukie Lukie @ Mar 6 2012, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is it just me or is the show too.. "TV" I mean even more so than Pure Pwnage it feels more akin to shows like TBBT or How I met your Mother in its line delivery and style I can see from this little clip.

I'm noticing this is the trend for most newer series these days. I think internet videos are starting to try to raise their quality to TV standards... the problem is, the reason they're popular in the first place is people are sick of TV standards pp_smiley11.gif

It's going to be interesting to see how the entire internet media thing works out in the near future, with all these sponsors and ad companies fucking everything up and with people who are making careers out of it making little to nothing.

StrikerZero

StrikerZero
  • Members
  • 818 posts
QUOTE (LalaLand @ Mar 6 2012, 03:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They don't have their own forums for Space Janitors, but there is a thread for the first episode here: http://www.escapistm...sode-1#13939718

I thought it was pretty interesting to see mostly positive opinions regardless of the fact - perhaps in spite of - that no one seems to know about Pure Pwnage.

well that's good for em, if they can find success then that's good, however if the shows is like this I'm probably not gonna watch cause it aint my thing. It seems like a extremely low budget type of production which is sorta strange given the effects in Pure Pwnage were far better in comparison.

LalaLand

LalaLand
  • Members
  • 1,327 posts
QUOTE (StrikerZero @ Mar 6 2012, 10:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well that's good for em, if they can find success then that's good, however if the shows is like this I'm probably not gonna watch cause it aint my thing. It seems like a extremely low budget type of production which is sorta strange given the effects in Pure Pwnage were far better in comparison.

I'll admit I feel the same way. I gave the first episode a try and it just wasn't for me, it felt a little stiff. I may give another few episodes a try just so it has a fair chance but right now it was just not a good fit I guess for me. But I'm very happy they're finding success -- the guys behind PP deserve to and I'm always happy to see a web show that has clearly TONS of effort put into it get success. For the future of Web series it's important. icon_smile.gif

Someone else in this thread mentioned some of the web stuff is starting to feel too "TV". I think that's a good thing honestly. There will always be the opportunity for someone - anyone - to pick up a camera and upload their amateur footage. But at the same time the option and ability for serious filmmakers to add more professionalism to their work and have it exist successfully online is great too. All about options.

Though I like how web series are continuing to grow and get better and better. The "medium" isn't going anywhere so long as something like SOPA doesn't kill the internet. icon_smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users