Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Rate My Rig (v2.0)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Sev Rith

Sev Rith
  • Members
  • 324 posts
Oh wow I didn't even see that! I'll update accordingly, so thanks.

I should also add that I upgraded the PSU to an 850w. 750w just isn't enough for SLI, and I figured I'd spend the extra 10 bucks now instead of a whole new PSU later. Corsair 850w Modular PSU

As far as the CPU goes, do you guys think the i5 I initially chose would hold me over for a while then?

Also you mentioned "better cooling" which I assume means water cooling. I've never ever touched a water cooling case and never even considered it in this one. Not that I wouldn't, but I feel like so much could go wrong for a first timer. It frankly looks like a nightmare.
IPB Image

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:way2lazy2care
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
QUOTE (Sev Rith @ Jan 6 2012, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh wow I didn't even see that! I'll update accordingly, so thanks.

I should also add that I upgraded the PSU to an 850w. 750w just isn't enough for SLI, and I figured I'd spend the extra 10 bucks now instead of a whole new PSU later. Corsair 850w Modular PSU

google PSU calculator. I think you'll be surprised. I have a 650W psu and I'm running the same processor with 2 GPUs in SLI and I still have wiggle room to OC my i5. Enthusiast psus are one of the biggest myths in building computers.

Also you mentioned "better cooling" which I assume means water cooling. I've never ever touched a water cooling case and never even considered it in this one. Not that I wouldn't, but I feel like so much could go wrong for a first timer. It frankly looks like a nightmare.

Just non-stock cooling. Could be a good air cooling, could be liquid cooling, just extra case fans, whatever. The stock heatsink/fan on the i5 can take some overclocking, but it's only designed to work at it's standard speed.

Water cooling used to be much more risky, but now there are a lot of kits that make it a cake walk, so don't discount instantly. That said there are some air coolers that will let you OC pretty significantly.

edit: I missed the i5 question you just had. The i5 will hold you over at least until it has paid for itself and then some. It will not hold you back any more than an i7 would anyway. the i7 really isn't THAT much more powerful all things considered. The jump from i3 to i5 is much larger than from i5 to i7. The window where an i5 will hold you back and an i7 won't hold you back is very small and not worth the extra $150 imo.

Edited by way2lazy2care, 06 January 2012 - 12:48 PM.

SPAMBOTSTOOKOVERMYSITE D:
Give me LoL Referals.

QUOTE (Virus52 @ Mar 3 2008, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ALL HAIL THE GREAT AND MIGHTY MOTH!

QUOTE (SN3S @ May 6 2008, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No sensuality; this is all for fitness.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users