Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tony Hawk Hd

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
  • PSN:The_Con-Sept
So I am like a month late and an arrow to the knee short of this news but FINALLY they are re making the tony hawk series AND ITS GOING TO BE AN ARCADE SKATING GAME. (Sorry but EA can SUCK IT!)

I am sick of the realism in these new skating games so I hope this game will be loads more fun like it used to be. I could be speaking too soon but the style of that video says a lot for me. Once again I will be KOTH'ing it up again with my old buddies like Iller.

Nevermore

Nevermore
  • GA Private
  • 1,658 posts
  • Interests:Internets! Games! Music! Photography!
  • Gamer Army ID:1083
QUOTE (The_Con-Sept @ Dec 23 2011, 12:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So I am like a month late and an arrow to the knee short of this news but FINALLY they are re making the tony hawk series AND ITS GOING TO BE AN ARCADE SKATING GAME. (Sorry but EA can SUCK IT!)

I am sick of the realism in these new skating games so I hope this game will be loads more fun like it used to be. I could be speaking too soon but the style of that video says a lot for me. Once again I will be KOTH'ing it up again with my old buddies like Iller.

dont make me google

CakeCom

CakeCom
  • Members
  • 1,484 posts
Used to love THPS2, probably one of the (honestly) best sports games I've ever played. Also 1080 snowboarding on N64.

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:way2lazy2care
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
Maybe I am misunderstanding it, but isn't this just an HD remake of the original? I would much prefer them making a new Tony Hawk game that was still arcady like the original.
SPAMBOTSTOOKOVERMYSITE D:
Give me LoL Referals.

QUOTE (Virus52 @ Mar 3 2008, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ALL HAIL THE GREAT AND MIGHTY MOTH!

QUOTE (SN3S @ May 6 2008, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No sensuality; this is all for fitness.

CakeCom

CakeCom
  • Members
  • 1,484 posts
QUOTE (way2lazy2care @ Dec 22 2011, 07:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
new game that's arcady like the original.

I would also like this-

-but Activision doesn't seem to want to invest money into that idea. So instead I don't really hate the alternative- them investing a very small amount of $ + time into re-releasing on my favourite current gen console.

But yeah, I'd definitely prefer Activision started actually making games that were actually new ideas rather than constantly recycling ideas / games / re-releasing games / adding weapons to games / etc.

I mean ffs, Activision used to (honesty here) make some of the best games for systems like the Atari, NES, Dreamcast (I believe? It's been a while since having a dreamcast admittedly), PSX etc. I don't know why they have to suddenly just stop making good games and instead stick to attempting to save every last dollar in an attempt to make the most $. They've really changed in these past few years icon_sad.gif.

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
I really hope they do it justice. I've been waiting for them to finally realize what Tony Hawk used to be to make it fun. And you all know my favorite TH game of all time. (THUG1)

I can put a list of everything I liked about the TH series and a few things I hated, but right now I just want to see this game with at least King of the Hill mode put in it. That's all I need. I just might snap and buy a PS3 again. Unless they make a version for PC....

Nevermore

Nevermore
  • GA Private
  • 1,658 posts
QUOTE (CakeCom @ Dec 23 2011, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would also like this-

-but Activision doesn't seem to want to invest money into that idea. So instead I don't really hate the alternative- them investing a very small amount of $ + time into re-releasing on my favourite current gen console.

But yeah, I'd definitely prefer Activision started actually making games that were actually new ideas rather than constantly recycling ideas / games / re-releasing games / adding weapons to games / etc.

I mean ffs, Activision used to (honesty here) make some of the best games for systems like the Atari, NES, Dreamcast (I believe? It's been a while since having a dreamcast admittedly), PSX etc. I don't know why they have to suddenly just stop making good games and instead stick to attempting to save every last dollar in an attempt to make the most $. They've really changed in these past few years icon_sad.gif.

The problem isn't Activision, blame the brain dead gamers that keep buying this shit, year after year, version after version.

ThrashTitan

ThrashTitan
  • Members
  • 922 posts
  • Steam ID:Maximus_Metallicus
OOOOOOH HERES AN IDEA ID LIKE.

THUG:HD with a minigame in it to play THPS1!
QUOTE (spiri7ussancti @ Jun 13 2011, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would like to clarify that I am indeed trolling in this particular thread.

QUOTE (spiri7ussancti @ Jun 8 2011, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
FIRST OF ALL. ur stupid, me and my friends have a name for kids like you we meet in pub games. We call them "new age gamer"

x_byakugan_x

x_byakugan_x

holy shit I have a title

• Global Moderators
  • 4,862 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:alphaferret415
  • PSN:alpha-ferret_415
  • Wii:Memorized?
  • Rofl-Rupees:None
Isn't the latest Tony Hawk failure Tony Hawk Ride? With the plastic board you pretend to ride? That didn't sell well at all. I see it at discount stores for 10 bucks for every system.

QUOTE (Rickrolled @ Jan 10 2011, 04:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Love how the resident tough guy is happy to talk trash on an internet forum but back pedals as soon as he is called out. Typical coward. No doubt he'll respond to this with excessive bravado in order to restore his rightful place as a fully fledged internet badass.

I like to make werewolf...
MOVIES
bunny.jpg

Nevermore

Nevermore
  • GA Private
  • 1,658 posts
QUOTE (x_byakugan_x @ Dec 25 2011, 02:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Isn't the latest Tony Hawk failure Tony Hawk Ride? With the plastic board you pretend to ride? That didn't sell well at all. I see it at discount stores for 10 bucks for every system.

Eh, more that it's so good it's almost like.. why not just go out on a board..

Nothing beats SKATE

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
The big problem with the many failures of the Tony Hawk series today lies within the nervous feeling the developers had a few years ago. EA announced that they were creating a skateboard game that was "realistic." I still remember the interview back in 06 or 07 when they talked about it and how they wanted to do the same.

A lot of what people "wanted," at the time, was realism.... All I found in Skate was frustration instead of relaxation. The TH series was all about fun. It is an arcade game where people do ridiculous combos and get insanely high scores. My biggest score I ever got was 750 mill. People could break billions easily by doing simple lines and repeating them. It was also a button masher at times when you do tweaks of manuals or grinds. (Called a Double Tap or DT.)

But because everyone seemed to be hooked on the "realism" that skate brought they decided to try and do the same. Now we have Project 8 which showcased "realistic physics" and lost its depth of gameplay with small sections of a huge map to unlock. It was small map to me. The aim was to make it less arcade like to attract more people. I beat the game in 2 days and didn't even bother getting to the #1 spot. The lack of online play for the PS3 version made me lose interest with it all together. I even deleted my save file. Next was Tony Hawks Proving Ground. I tried the demo and was less impressed with where they were going. The story line made me feel like a sell out in the game where as THUG1 (to me) had the best story and maps. I was sick of the open world crap by now because it makes it worse for KOTH fans like me. I didn't even bother with Downhill Jam or Ride. I've sent over 50 e-mails to Neversoft explaining that it should go back to its roots as an arcade type of game instead of battling it out with EA for "realism."

Well I don't know if my letters had any effect but what I saw in the trailer was ridiculously funky physics with the old style skating combos and awesome stunts. That is what made it so great.

Now I can just see Noobscow as a map in a later DLC pack along with 'Hatten. I hope they bring back Vancouver and Factory. And at least bring back the Create A Park. Several people made a lot of awesome levels in THUG1 and THPS4. And bring back the Wall Jump, not the Sticker plant. Allow us to jump off the wall and do another ollie to get much higher in the air!

And the ridiculous spine transfers!

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
QUOTE (The_Con-Sept @ Dec 25 2011, 07:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A lot of what people "wanted," at the time, was realism.... All I found in Skate was frustration instead of relaxation.

idk. There was some pretty sweet stuff in Skate. You couldn't do ridiculous combos, but to me it felt much more like skateboarding than tony hawk ever did. They aren't really compareable though despite being on such similar things. It's like comparing fight night to street fighter.
Give me LoL Referals.

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
Tony Hawk has always been an arcade game. Look at it. It was all about getting that high score. Sure Skate has a scoring system but it made it less fun. I hate the flick stick shit. In tony hawk, just to do a Triple Impossible flip all I had to do was, after the jump, hit up and tap square 3 times. Trying it in skate made me furious. And I love the arguments that the fanboys are using. Just because they never played a tony hawk, or grind session, or cool boarders game before EA Skate.

Its like what my good friend Agony told me... The new generation of gamers have no respect for the old school.

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
QUOTE (The_Con-Sept @ Dec 28 2011, 06:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hate the flick stick shit. In tony hawk, just to do a Triple Impossible flip all I had to do was, after the jump, hit up and tap square 3 times. Trying it in skate made me furious.

That's because skate is trying to capture what it actually feels like to do those moves. You actually have to have at least an idea of how those moves work in real life to be able to do them.

It's like arguing that you don't have nitrous in forza making it a worse game than need for speed the run because you can't instantly catch up to the front if you crash into everything.

Its like what my good friend Agony told me... The new generation of gamers have no respect for the old school.

Tony hawk isn't that old school. If anything your arguments are very new school and you have no respect for the old school; prefering a game with instant gratification and easy tricks to a game that actually takes knowledge and ability.
Give me LoL Referals.

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
QUOTE (way2lazy2care @ Dec 30 2011, 12:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's because skate is trying to capture what it actually feels like to do those moves.
You actually have to have at least an idea of how those moves work in real life to be able to do them.

Have you ever tried to skate yourself W2L? I skated for 2 years. I still have my board from 8 years ago... I could never land an Impossible flip but I tried like a mother fucker to do so. Landed a quad kick flip once by accident on a 5 stair. I hated vert though. I could never make it half way up the pipe before I ate the damn lip.
--
Trying is the perfect word, however a stick will never be able to perfectly simulate how to do those tricks in real life. Some of them are questionable. On the flip side skateboard games are more fun when you can actually do insane tricks in an unrealistic world. Skate only made me furious and break off my analogue stick....

It's like arguing that you don't have nitrous in forza making it a worse game than need for speed the run because you can't instantly catch up to the front if you crash into everything.

That is why games like Wipeout are so popular... they use weapons.... /joke

Tony hawk isn't that old school. If anything your arguments are very new school and you have no respect for the old school; prefering a game with instant gratification and easy tricks to a game that actually takes knowledge and ability.

Tony Hawk pays a lot of respect to Grind Session in its style of gameplay. In fact I think they are the same developers.... Yeah they are.... No wonder why. (shut up I didn't know before...)

--

As for knowledge of how to skate I still find some of the "combinations of stick flicking" to be questionable. They are trying but its still questionable. As for knowledge... Every EA skate game shows you the correct stick movement for every trick. As do almost every other game.

As for the instant gratification... Get a skateboard yourself. Go out and try to land a shove-it for your first trick. It is the easiest trick to learn. I want to know how long it takes for you to land one without falling off immediately afterward. After that do it in Skate and in Tony Hawk. Tell me if they are the same.

Skate is about as gratifying as Tony Hawk is. They just made it less fun with the flicky stick shit.

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
QUOTE (The_Con-Sept @ Dec 31 2011, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On the flip side skateboard games are more fun when you can actually do insane tricks in an unrealistic world.

Skate is about as gratifying as Tony Hawk is. They just made it less fun with the flicky stick shit.

It's less fun to you. I thought the mechanics in Skate were more interesting and fun than tony hawk. Tony hawk always felt like button mashing to me.

That said I do think SSX is an amazing game for similar reasons to why you like tony hawk.
Give me LoL Referals.

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
This is why we like Tony Hawk:

See the crown above his head? King of the Hill mode required you to hold that crown for as long as possible. To get the crown from that person required you to catch that person.

The moves shown in the video are mostly glitch moves. But it required a lot of deception. What looked like something you could do would only leave you with your face on the ground. We came up with so many different juke manuevers in the game that we couldn't be stopped. A lot of newbies never knew how to do our simplest moves. This is just a small list of them. Some of them were ones I found a long time ago. NJ in that video used to be in my clan. Everything he did he found in that video. No one knew about it until he showed us in KOTH one day.

We could easily tell a KOTH player apart from a regular TA player. Trick Attack people never did anything crazy like we did. To show you the difference..... Here is a "TA" player....

Boring.... We know where he is going to go next. The same line over and over.... and over... and... over again... zzzzz

As KOTH players.... We break the Tony Hawk game:

I am not in any one of these videos btw.

Skate does nothing like this so most of the TH players hate the game.

If ea Skate had a KOTH mode in it... we would try to go with it. But because it doesn't.... We don't care for it.

We know skate is going for realism, but we love arcade games better.

Nevermore

Nevermore
  • GA Private
  • 1,658 posts
QUOTE (The_Con-Sept @ Dec 28 2011, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tony Hawk has always been an arcade game. Look at it. It was all about getting that high score. Sure Skate has a scoring system but it made it less fun. I hate the flick stick shit. In tony hawk, just to do a Triple Impossible flip all I had to do was, after the jump, hit up and tap square 3 times. Trying it in skate made me furious. And I love the arguments that the fanboys are using. Just because they never played a tony hawk, or grind session, or cool boarders game before EA Skate.

wat

Seriously?
I .. don't understand any of your post mate .. might just bold the whole thing

QUOTE (The_Con-Sept @ Jan 1 2012, 12:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you ever tried to skate yourself W2L? I skated for 2 years. I still have my board from 8 years ago... I could never land an Impossible flip but I tried like a mother fucker to do so. Landed a quad kick flip once by accident on a 5 stair. I hated vert though. I could never make it half way up the pipe before I ate the damn lip.
--
Trying is the perfect word, however a stick will never be able to perfectly simulate how to do those tricks in real life. Some of them are questionable. On the flip side skateboard games are more fun when you can actually do insane tricks in an unrealistic world. Skate only made me furious and break off my analogue stick....

That is why games like Wipeout are so popular... they use weapons.... /joke

Tony Hawk pays a lot of respect to Grind Session in its style of gameplay. In fact I think they are the same developers.... Yeah they are.... No wonder why. (shut up I didn't know before...)

--

As for knowledge of how to skate I still find some of the "combinations of stick flicking" to be questionable. They are trying but its still questionable. As for knowledge... Every EA skate game shows you the correct stick movement for every trick. As do almost every other game.

As for the instant gratification... Get a skateboard yourself. Go out and try to land a shove-it for your first trick. It is the easiest trick to learn. I want to know how long it takes for you to land one without falling off immediately afterward. After that do it in Skate and in Tony Hawk. Tell me if they are the same.

This too.

SKATE is nothing like any tony hawk game, the only thing that makes them similar is they are both skateboarding games...

From your posts I can understand that, you used to skate (barely) but you couldn't do many tricks so you gave it up.. sounds like the same deal with SKATE mate, TH is fun to you because any n00b can tap some buttons and smash out huge never ending combos, trust me, it's childs play.

SKATE required some level of patience and skill to perform the tricks which made them instantly more rewarding than some casual button mashing imo/tbh

I think your gamer rage has clouded your judgement on this one.

Guest_Rakielis_*

Guest_Rakielis_*
  • Guests
i may buy it depending on how much it is. its obviously not worth 50 dollars, nor is it worth 15... but 10, maybe... 5 definitely!

CakeCom

CakeCom
  • Members
  • 1,484 posts
My thoughts when this entire thread:

Are people honestly fucking arguing whether it's better for the game to be realistic or not.

Shit, we might as well argue whether non-fiction is a better read than fiction because it's factually true.

The facts are this:
When Tony Hawk tried to be realistic it went to shit.

When it was an unrealistic as fuck, arcadey, button mashing glitch fest people had fun.

Those who didn't were playing Skate.

Edited by CakeCom, 03 January 2012 - 01:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users