Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Rage

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Kazaii

Kazaii
  • Members
  • 318 posts
  • Steam ID:cc_lyger
  • Xbox / GFWL:Sgt Kaz
  • PSN:Kazaii
QUOTE (CakeCom @ Oct 11 2011, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well I hate Apple's computers because they basically condition them all as if computers should all have one standard set of hardware + software and should be limited to Apple says it can or can't use.

So far though, every console I've played has pretty much done the same thing.

So it COULD work. Not only that, but you'd be able to link it with your apple devices (basically just iPhones, u use anything but an iPhone / iTouch then you're a twat) and you'd be able to play your touch screen games on your TV, you'd be able to play your music (I think u can already do this with Xbox but... meh) and you'd probably even be able to do cool things like make video calls with devices like the kinnect to people's iPhones (which would be pretty similar to how video calls in Pokemon work lawlawl).

Basically what I'm saying is- I hate Apple. But it COULD work in theory (well if Jobs was still around anyway).

Sega would be my preferred candidate (despite the fact the majority of their consoles other than the Genesis were garbage, they at least have quite a bit of experience in the marketplace and as both a software developer + an old console buff they would probably be able to make their hardware the best for making software, making developers WANT to go with them (rather than deal with all the mistakes the PS3 / 360 made in that regard).

/rantish

I totally agree that Apple COULD sell a successful gaming console. I just think you saying you're hoping they would is a little much. I mean, unless you want gaming to crumble into the abyss. Then once again, I understand why you want them to. I also agree it would be pleasant to see Sega back on the market, but I doubt they would be successful. I doubt Nintendo will survive long enough for my future kids to see.

!~Orky's BF~!
%~Original_Sin's Best Friend~%
^~Byak's nemesis~^
*~The only person who thinks CakeCom is good looking~*
$~Jaylew likes me~$
@~Best Wardrobe October 2012~@
)~Greatest King of Jerusalem all years~(

CakeCom

CakeCom
  • Members
  • 1,484 posts
QUOTE (Kazaii @ Oct 12 2011, 02:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I totally agree that Apple COULD sell a successful gaming console. I just think you saying you're hoping they would is a little much. I mean, unless you want gaming to crumble into the abyss. Then once again, I understand why you want them to. I also agree it would be pleasant to see Sega back on the market, but I doubt they would be successful. I doubt Nintendo will survive long enough for my future kids to see.

Well I'm only hoping they join in the ring because I'm sick of looking at Sony + Microsoft... and Ninfundo isn't my thing anymore (except DS... which they're slowly ruining as well =/)

Kazaii

Kazaii
  • Members
  • 318 posts
You really don't want Apple to make a console. I'd love to see a Valve console.

Until then, play PC. It's the only thing that runs great by Microsoft but isn't ruined by Microsoft hype lmao. I don't even know if they remember PC games are their thing.

Edited by Kazaii, 12 October 2011 - 05:26 PM.

!~Orky's BF~!
^~Byak's nemesis~^
$~Jaylew likes me~$

CakeCom

CakeCom
  • Members
  • 1,484 posts
QUOTE (Kazaii @ Oct 12 2011, 06:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd love to see a Valve console.

I just jizzed at the thought.

Never even thought about it, but a console by them would be genius.

Imagine Steam on console? Being able to install a game on both your PC and your Console (as I mentioned in a different thread)

Would be amazng.

otaku_4_life

otaku_4_life

Best MMO-RPG Contributor 08!

• Members
  • 4,566 posts
  • xfire:otaku4life
  • Steam ID:0:0:9287390
  • Xbox / GFWL:o
  • PSN:L
  • Wii:L
Yup, id definitely sold out.

http://www.industryg...form-for-games/

Edited by otaku_4_life, 12 October 2011 - 08:28 PM.

AKA:
QUOTE (Karko @ Aug 21 2011, 07:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that 12 year old canadian kid who used to play BF2 before going to WoW and becoming addicted

Kazaii

Kazaii
  • Members
  • 318 posts
I'm glad I didn't pay for this game.
!~Orky's BF~!
^~Byak's nemesis~^
$~Jaylew likes me~$

Guest_ThE_MarD_*

Guest_ThE_MarD_*
  • Guests
Heyyo,

It's hard to say PC is a leading platform though... in all honesty the rate of piracy on PC's compared to consoles is enormous is a problem and of course the costs. Parents that don't care about gaming are more likely to shell out $200 for an Xbox360 or PS3 compared to a decent gaming PC which is $800 and up. I mean, Andrack even admitted to piracy on this game which is shame on you cause it's that shit that's hurting PC gaming.

Fuck, seriously it does piss me off when PC's get the back-seat but in the end? I understand why bigger companies like id Software and Epic Games are focusing on consoles... their latest big success stories have been happening on consoles. Gears of War was massive on Xbox360 where-as PC eventually got Gears Of War 1 and 2 and 3 are missing.. same goes for Halo 1 which did good on PC but Halo 2 was a disaster... then again the shitty Vista requirement damaged it badly... would have preferred they skip to Halo 3 or just give us Halo Anniversary but we are not that lucky.

In the future though? I can see PC gaming making a comeback especially with the latest good efforts by ATi that I saw their CPU/GPU combos.

Dirge

Dirge

Best Returning Member '09

• GA Private
  • 6,101 posts
  • Steam ID:Silent_Dirge
  • Gamer Army ID:3524
  • Company:Alpha
QUOTE (ThE_MarD @ Oct 13 2011, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Heyyo,

It's hard to say PC is a leading platform though... in all honesty the rate of piracy on PC's compared to consoles is enormous is a problem and of course the costs. Parents that don't care about gaming are more likely to shell out $200 for an Xbox360 or PS3 compared to a decent gaming PC which is $800 and up. I mean, Andrack even admitted to piracy on this game which is shame on you cause it's that shit that's hurting PC gaming.

Piracy in PC gaming is slightly larger than consoles. Yes. Slightly. Lets take a look at these "leading Developers" on console and PC. EPIC games used to be PC exclusive, until they made a deal with Microsoft and released Gears of war as a XBOX360 exclusive. The game was also ported to PC. Problem with the port was that it was a near direct port. Lazy, sloppy, and nearly unplayable with the amount of bugs. Few people pirated it and created their own patches/mods for it. Cliff Blezinsky then turned to gaming media outlets and said the game failed due to the amount of piracy on PC and NOT because it was a shitty goddamned port and because of that its just not worth porting to PC.

Crysis, released in 2007, pincaccle of video games graphical technology. Sold 83k Copies in its first two weeks of launch and blamed lack of sales on piracy rather than the fact that not anyone had a bajillion dollars to blow on a new rig just o be able to run the damned thing. The promised they would never release a game as a PC exclusive again when they could make 5 times the sale on consoles. Which leads us to Crysis 2. Not even on the Steams top 15 list, or on the pirate bay top 100. Developers promised PC gamers they would have superior graphics to consoles with full DX11 support and then 3 weeks prior to launch they turned around and said they never said that. PC gamers felt shafted once again. One month later after release they released a dev tool kit patch for DX11. No one was interested, damage was done. Crytek turned around and blamed sales on piracy.

Remember that Big debacle over "From Dust" Ubisofts game for PC? It was promised to be DRM free. Sure enough launch day rolls around and its locked to hell with DRM. People started getting refunds for it and Ubisoft admitted they screwed up. They released a patch which removed the DRM but it was too late. Reason why it didn't sell well? Piracy. Only reason ever.

Honestly, why not pirate when we are treated as if we're stupid, being shit on, and told "you'll buy it anyways"? LOOK AT THIS. This is a screenshot from the game "Darksiders". I thought it was a pretty good breakthrough game on consoles, and thought it would be cool to own on PC as well. So I purchased it again because I liked the Developers. This is what I got. Direct port, minimal effort slapped in my face piece of shit. I own a PS3 controller and use DS3 software to run it on my PC, because admittedly, beat em ups are terrible without a controller in hand. No AA, no windowed mode option, no ability to change keys (or even keys at that) or anything. oh and frames randomly dropped when I tried playing. How do I map right bumper to R1? Not possible. Totally pirating the next game that is released, and if it turns out to be good and we dont get shafted? I'll pay full price for it.

QUOTE (ThE_MarD @ Oct 13 2011, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fuck, seriously it does piss me off when PC's get the back-seat but in the end? I understand why bigger companies like id Software and Epic Games are focusing on consoles... their latest big success stories have been happening on consoles. Gears of War was massive on Xbox360 where-as PC eventually got Gears Of War 1 and 2 and 3 are missing.. same goes for Halo 1 which did good on PC but Halo 2 was a disaster... then again the shitty Vista requirement damaged it badly... would have preferred they skip to Halo 3 or just give us Halo Anniversary but we are not that lucky.

In the future though? I can see PC gaming making a comeback especially with the latest good efforts by ATi that I saw their CPU/GPU combos.

Its just the benefits MS offers to companies to produce games solely on that platform is all.

EDIT: I cannot source this information, and I could argue that PC is in fact a leading platform in this "war".

Edited by Dirge, 13 October 2011 - 11:53 PM.

oldSkool

oldSkool
  • Members
  • 259 posts
QUOTE (otaku_4_life @ Oct 13 2011, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yup, id definitely sold out.

http://www.industryg...form-for-games/

It's harder to send updates to consoles than it is to PC's - I suspect that would be why they worked so hard on console versions.

As for the selling out, that's quite a departure from what he was saying here:

http://www.pcgamer.c...-anti-aliasing/
One day, when you're old enough - I'll tell you how I fought in the bit wars...

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:way2lazy2care
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
QUOTE (Dirge @ Oct 13 2011, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
cut for length

Steam sales are pretty consistently lower than console sales even for PC primary games. There is a LOT of risk in the PC games industry just by virtue of the hardware not being standard and the platform itself being expensive.

We are getting to a very interesting point in hardware where it looks like CPUs are starting to peak a bit and the focus of CPU manufacturers are starting to focus on power consumption rather than just pushing for more power. Hardware is starting to even out as far as performance and standards go, and I do see PC coming back as a more viable platform compared to consoles in the near future. Right now, however, sales just aren't consistent enough on PC to put AAA budgets onto PC only titles unless you're making more money than god like Blizzard.
SPAMBOTSTOOKOVERMYSITE D:
Give me LoL Referals.

QUOTE (Virus52 @ Mar 3 2008, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ALL HAIL THE GREAT AND MIGHTY MOTH!

QUOTE (SN3S @ May 6 2008, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No sensuality; this is all for fitness.

Utttand4

Utttand4
  • Members
  • 2,859 posts
QUOTE (ThE_MarD @ Oct 6 2011, 03:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So I just realized there's no thread for Rage lol. Just came out Oct3 2011 and I must say I'm impressed with the campaign, it's very well done.

I liked the whole concept of Rage; the RPG elements, free-roaming, and exploration, but i felt that the campaign just didnt bring these together well enough.

The story left a lot wanting. There is a famous quote by Carmack explaining that story in a game is expected but not important. Not in this case.
When you break up your shooting with long distance travels and conversations with NPCs, story is important. This game's story was unsatisfactory and its ending was too abrupt.

Rage definitely could have improved on the crafting system. The ingredients are so cheap and abundant, and crafted items are really overpowered. Amass some pop rockets and fat mammas (cheaply crafted with explosive packs) and you're basically playing instagib.

Exploration in this game felt very linear and guided. Most of the time, you are only rewarded with trivial items and some extra cash.

My main problem with this game was how terribly easy it was. I played through once on normal, currently halfway through Nightmare. Sold away all bandages, barely had to use defib charges. This game is extremely forgiving and lacking in challenge, add sentry bots and crafted ammo and the game is easy to the point of being bland.

Overall, this game is fun on the first playthrough, but really nothing amazing
QUOTE (Jarett @ Feb 17 2008, 08:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think console shooters suck balls.

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:way2lazy2care
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
QUOTE (Utttand4 @ Oct 14 2011, 11:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
blah

It sounds like a lot of your complaints have to do with an abundance of resources in one way or another.

Do you think if they patched it so resources weren't quite so abundant and you didn't have such instant kill ability to make it easy would you enjoy it more?
SPAMBOTSTOOKOVERMYSITE D:
Give me LoL Referals.

QUOTE (Virus52 @ Mar 3 2008, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ALL HAIL THE GREAT AND MIGHTY MOTH!

QUOTE (SN3S @ May 6 2008, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No sensuality; this is all for fitness.

Utttand4

Utttand4
  • Members
  • 2,859 posts
QUOTE (way2lazy2care @ Oct 15 2011, 02:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It sounds like a lot of your complaints have to do with an abundance of resources in one way or another.

Pretty much, being stocked on aftershocks and pop rocket removes any kind of difficulty from the game.
Do you think if they patched it so resources weren't quite so abundant and you didn't have such instant kill ability to make it easy would you enjoy it more?

I do think that implementing some kind of scarcity would help (such that you have to decide when it is worthwhile to use your crafted stuff, instead of opting to use them all the time, every time). The default weapons and ammo are quite balanced and all have their specific uses and limitations, its just too bad most of them are made invalid by crafted ammo.
QUOTE (Jarett @ Feb 17 2008, 08:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think console shooters suck balls.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users