Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

So There's This N00b

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

CakeCom

CakeCom
  • Members
  • 1,484 posts
QUOTE (way2lazy2care @ Oct 3 2011, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
MW and MW2 had 2 parts that I'd consider really pushed the art side of video games. The nuke in MW and the airport in MW2 were both fairly emotional. A lot of the rest of the games fell victim to michael bay syndrome, but those 2 parts were pretty extraordinary.

Actually I have to agree partially with this.

The nuke in the original Modern Warfare blew me away (lol pun intended) and was actually really emotional.

The airport though was kind of (an obvious) ploy to do the exact same thing in the next game... which is why I never liked that part of the game.

@Spiri7
Most certainly. Art doesn't really have a definition, therefore it really is just personal opinion what you think is or isn't art.

Just in my personal opinion, something made not to tell a great story / paint a great picture / give a great experience isn't art. For example most of the games you stated (although as way2lazy pointed out, I actually forgot about one of the parts of CoD I actually felt a ton of emotion for) I wouldn't in general call very artistic but even a game like Mirror's Edge I could consider had a bit of an artistic candle to it. I loved the use of colours + the creative concept in Mirror's Edge... it's just a shame the execution seemed all wrong icon_sad.gif

otaku_4_life

otaku_4_life

Best MMO-RPG Contributor 08!

• Members
  • 4,566 posts
  • xfire:otaku4life
  • Steam ID:0:0:9287390
  • Xbox / GFWL:o
  • PSN:L
  • Wii:L
I like how this turned from a thread about CoD into a thread about how video games are or aren't art.

AKA:
QUOTE (Karko @ Aug 21 2011, 07:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that 12 year old canadian kid who used to play BF2 before going to WoW and becoming addicted

Andrack

Andrack
  • GA Private
  • 2,037 posts
  • PSN:Andrack64
  • Gamer Army ID:1202
  • Company:Kilo
I took an art appreciation class once and there was this one guy who purchased a urinal and basically just went to an art show and put it on a pedestal. That became a very famous work of art. Totally forget the guys name though. If that can be art, pretty much anything can as far as I care.

Have some more GOOD art.

CakeCom

CakeCom
  • Members
  • 1,484 posts
QUOTE (Andrack @ Oct 4 2011, 05:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I took an art appreciation class once and there was this one guy who purchased a urinal and basically just went to an art show and put it on a pedestal. That became a very famous work of art. Totally forget the guys name though. If that can be art, pretty much anything can as far as I care.

Have some more GOOD art.

I've seen it.

I could also link "better" art (but that is a pretty good animation ;P).

If the purpose of a urinal is for someone to walk up to it and piss in it, it wouldn't be art.
If the purpose of a game was to slaughter people based on real soldiers for entertainment, it's not art.

If a urinal was set up in the right environment, given proper explanation and somehow creates an emotion within an audience, sure it's art.
If the game where you slaughter people based on real soldiers for entertainment creates an emotion with its audience, then your audience probably needs to be checked in the head.

Edited by CakeCom, 04 October 2011 - 04:09 PM.

spiri7ussancti

spiri7ussancti
  • Members
  • 612 posts
  • Steam ID:spiri7us sancti
  • Xbox / GFWL:spiri7us sancti
  • Wii:lolololol
QUOTE (CakeCom @ Oct 4 2011, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If the purpose of a urinal is for someone to walk up to it and piss in it, it wouldn't be art.
If the purpose of a game was to slaughter people based on real soldiers for entertainment, it's not art.

If a urinal was set up in the right environment, given proper explanation and somehow creates an emotion within an audience, sure it's art.
If the game where you slaughter people based on real soldiers for entertainment creates an emotion with its audience, then your audience probably needs to be checked in the head.

How could you possibly be able to slaughter people, based off the actions of real soldiers...

and not feel something?

This is spam.. but it's pretty good. - Byakugan

CakeCom

CakeCom
  • Members
  • 1,484 posts
QUOTE (spiri7ussancti @ Oct 4 2011, 05:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How could you possibly be able to slaughter people, based off the actions of real soldiers...

and not feel something?

That's not what I said.

What I said is, it's slaughtering people who are supposed to be representations of real life soldiers.
And if you honestly feel terrible for shooting every single person you have in CoD, CS, Quake, etc. then GG.

spiri7ussancti

spiri7ussancti
  • Members
  • 612 posts
  • Steam ID:spiri7us sancti
  • Xbox / GFWL:spiri7us sancti
  • Wii:lolololol
QUOTE (CakeCom @ Oct 4 2011, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's not what I said.

What I said is, it's slaughtering people who are supposed to be representations of real life soldiers.
And if you honestly feel terrible for shooting every single person you have in CoD, CS, Quake, etc. then GG.

misinterpreted

however i think i'm always going to be set in my ways on this one. Video games will always be art to me.

This is spam.. but it's pretty good. - Byakugan

j type

j type
  • Members
  • 2,690 posts
  • Steam ID:jtype
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
Not all emotions/feelings are extreme. Art doesn't have to provoke strong emotion/feeling to be art. Art means something different to everyone.

Nevermore

Nevermore
  • GA Private
  • 1,658 posts
  • Interests:Internets! Games! Music! Photography!
  • Gamer Army ID:1083
QUOTE (j type @ Oct 5 2011, 11:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not all emotions/feelings are extreme. Art doesn't have to provoke strong emotion/feeling to be art. Art means something different to everyone.

CakeCom

CakeCom
  • Members
  • 1,484 posts
QUOTE (j type @ Oct 4 2011, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And that's what I said a while ago.

But someone got me back into the argument for some reason... so I went with it ;P.

For ME it has to give you some strong emotion or at the least a sense of personal attachment (which CoD/CS/Quake might... it just seems really weird to me ;p).
*edit*
Ah nevermore, I was just trying to remember your name the other day. I always recognize you from your avatars, not so much the name >.<'

Edited by CakeCom, 04 October 2011 - 09:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users