Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Metal Thread!

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

T.Servo

T.Servo
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:RjuggaloK
Everything and anything metal!

Fleshgo Apocalypse

MaxDamage

MaxDamage

IRC Awards 2006: Friendliest | i r beefcaek. ph33r me!

• GA Private
  • 3,669 posts
  • xfire:maxdamagus
  • Interests:Rockin', art, gaming, listening to good music, etc...
  • Wii:will rock you
  • Gamer Army ID:108
...except Black metal and Power metal.

UUr16xn.png
I don't need tattoos to look hard. I AM hard.

Dirge

Dirge

Best Returning Member '09

• GA Private
  • 6,101 posts
  • Steam ID:Silent_Dirge
  • Gamer Army ID:3524
  • Company:Alpha
QUOTE (MaxDamage @ Sep 21 2011, 11:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whats wrong with black metal?

The original black metal:

Doom, symphonic, black,

Ambient, symphonic, Viking, folk

And I made a big post over the breakthrough Doom metal artist, Ghost over at SITMOS.net.

Edited by Dirge, 22 September 2011 - 12:46 PM.

x_byakugan_x

x_byakugan_x

holy shit I have a title

• Global Moderators
  • 4,868 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:alphaferret415
  • PSN:alpha-ferret_415
  • Wii:Memorized?
  • Rofl-Rupees:None
What the fuck, viking metal? I like it.

QUOTE (Rickrolled @ Jan 10 2011, 04:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Love how the resident tough guy is happy to talk trash on an internet forum but back pedals as soon as he is called out. Typical coward. No doubt he'll respond to this with excessive bravado in order to restore his rightful place as a fully fledged internet badass.

I like to make werewolf...
MOVIES
bunny.jpg

ThrashTitan

ThrashTitan
  • Members
  • 922 posts
  • Steam ID:Maximus_Metallicus
QUOTE (MaxDamage @ Sep 22 2011, 04:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

BZZT. INCORRECT. Would you like to try again?

QUOTE (spiri7ussancti @ Jun 13 2011, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would like to clarify that I am indeed trolling in this particular thread.

QUOTE (spiri7ussancti @ Jun 8 2011, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
FIRST OF ALL. ur stupid, me and my friends have a name for kids like you we meet in pub games. We call them "new age gamer"

Dirge

Dirge

• GA Private
  • 6,101 posts
I liked that last one Thrash. Time to post MORE METAL!

Drone, Doom, Ambient, (too fast for my tastes icon_razz.gif)

Power, Epic, Folk, Symphonic

Symphonic, Folk, Epic, Black (entry as fuck, and really catchy)

Black, Doom, Noise

Imma post more later, I wanna see what else you guys have :3

ThrashTitan

ThrashTitan
  • Members
  • 922 posts
I love Sunn O))).

Their sound reminds me of a refrigerator.

FIRST OF ALL. ur stupid, me and my friends have a name for kids like you we meet in pub games. We call them "new age gamer"

Rboy93

Rboy93
  • GA Captain
  • 1,283 posts
  • xfire:Rboy93
  • Interests:Pwning n00bs, Metal and Rugby
  • Steam ID:PPGA_Rboy93
  • Wii:5944744510180013
  • Gamer Army ID:3611
  • Company:Pi
Can you guys do a metal lover a massive favour? I need to get as many likes as possible on this:
http://www.facebook....150346649357262
So I can win tickets to Soundwave2012, Australia's biggest metal festival. (Slipknot and System Of A Down are headlining)

It'd be much appreciated guys icon_biggrin.gif

Pwning is my buisness... And buisness is good!

Maxorhead666

Maxorhead666
  • Members
  • 279 posts
  • Steam ID:maxnizle1
  • PSN:maxnizle1
QUOTE (Rboy93 @ Oct 7 2011, 07:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can you guys do a metal lover a massive favour? I need to get as many likes as possible on this:
http://www.facebook....150346649357262
So I can win tickets to Soundwave2012, Australia's biggest metal festival. (Slipknot and System Of A Down are headlining)

It'd be much appreciated guys icon_biggrin.gif

I liked it for you, cos I'm cool like that. You been any of the past years? I've been the past 3. I think after having Iron Maiden this year they would have had to get Jesus to do any better. System of a Down should be good fun though.

ULx1KcF.jpg

Battlelog: maxnizle1

Rboy93

Rboy93
  • GA Captain
  • 1,283 posts
QUOTE (Maxorhead666 @ Oct 8 2011, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I liked it for you, cos I'm cool like that. You been any of the past years? I've been the past 3. I think after having Iron Maiden this year they would have had to get Jesus to do any better. System of a Down should be good fun though.

And then the Big 4 the year after to top Jesus.

ThrashTitan

ThrashTitan
  • Members
  • 922 posts
QUOTE (Maxorhead666 @ Oct 8 2011, 08:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
System of a Down should be good fun though.

I heard this and was in disbelief. If I miss this, I know they will never play again.

Dirge

Dirge

• GA Private
  • 6,101 posts
QUOTE (Rboy93 @ Oct 7 2011, 04:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
(Slipknot and System Of A Down are

System of a down and lamb of god are not metal. Slipknot is metal though. Regrettably. Nu metal.

Funeral, Doom,

Black, Ambient

Viking, Melo, Folk

Black,

:3

Viking, Folk, Ambient, Symphonic,

Maxorhead666

Maxorhead666
  • Members
  • 279 posts
QUOTE (Dirge @ Oct 8 2011, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
System of a down and lamb of god are not metal. Slipknot is metal though. Regrettably. Nu metal.

Lol, I love it when there's people who think they're too hardcore (not as in the style, but the attitude), and so say it isn't metal. I'll say that System of a Down are hard rock, but Lamb of God are clearly thrash metal.

Edited by Maxorhead666, 09 October 2011 - 12:37 AM.

ULx1KcF.jpg

Dirge

Dirge

• GA Private
  • 6,101 posts
QUOTE (Maxorhead666 @ Oct 8 2011, 10:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lol, I love it when there's people who think they're too hardcore (not as in the style, but the attitude), and so say it isn't metal.

I'll just assume that you mean to think that I believe myself to be hardcore just because I listen to heavier themes of metal? Most of the stuff I posted is easy listening shit. Ambient, drone, funeral and doom? Its like the Enya of crunchy sounds. I know for a fact there is a lot more "Brutal shit" out there compared to what I listen to, like Thrash, Death, NSBM, and a few extreme noise artists. I hate the subject matter of NSBM, some noise is a bit too erratic for me, thrash hurts my ears, and I think death metal just sounds awful if it isn't melodic - Even then I have a skeptical taste on the genre. To say that I believe myself better than others for denouncing other artists from being metal in an affront to make myself appear "hardcore" is just plain silly, and ignorant.

QUOTE (Maxorhead666 @ Oct 8 2011, 10:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lamb of God are clearly thrash metal.

Can't edit yourself.

Lamb of god is a Metalcore/Groove metal band. Think of it similar to alternative or industrial music. Close to metal, but just as close to rock/pop music. You like Van Halen? He's heavy metal. Lamb of gods music is derivative of Van Halens work. Deal with it.

If you are looking for some thrash, its not a genre I've dabbled too much in, but anyone can instantly refer you to GWAR. Got my friend who listens to a lot of thrash to suggest me some for you, and he came up with this:

The album considered a thrash metal classic amongst the metal community. As I said, I don't really like thrash metal so I avoid it but I have dabbled in it.

Remember, just because a musician uses crunchy guitar sounds and growls doesn't make it metal:

Ska grind. :3

Maxorhead666

Maxorhead666
  • Members
  • 279 posts
QUOTE (Dirge @ Oct 10 2011, 12:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll just assume that you mean to think that I believe myself to be hardcore just because I listen to heavier themes of metal? Most of the stuff I posted is easy listening shit. Ambient, drone, funeral and doom? Its like the Enya of crunchy sounds. I know for a fact there is a lot more "Brutal shit" out there compared to what I listen to, like Thrash, Death, NSBM, and a few extreme noise artists. I hate the subject matter of NSBM, some noise is a bit too erratic for me, thrash hurts my ears, and I think death metal just sounds awful if it isn't melodic - Even then I have a skeptical taste on the genre. To say that I believe myself better than others for denouncing other artists from being metal in an affront to make myself appear "hardcore" is just plain silly, and ignorant.

Can't edit yourself.

Lamb of god is a Metalcore/Groove metal band. Think of it similar to alternative or industrial music. Close to metal, but just as close to rock/pop music. You like Van Halen? He's heavy metal. Lamb of gods music is derivative of Van Halens work. Deal with it.

Tthe bit about Lamb of God being thrash metal wasn't what I edited, the bit where I said hardcore and then put in brackets to explain what I was talking about was. I didn't even listen to your music as good/bad as it may be, I just hate it when people claim something isn't metal when it clearly is. It happens way too often nowadays. Also, I would put Lamb of God closer to Slayer or Pantera - that's where it gets it's thrash and groove elements from. I don't even like LoG a massive load, I'm just saying. They. Are. Metal.

From Wikipedia, as unreliable as it may seem:
"Burn the Priest and early Lamb of God has been defined as a thrash metal, death metal and hardcore punk[46] or grindcore[47] hybrid with a strong element of power groove, which often connects Lamb of God with the influential metal band Pantera."

From eNotes:
"Lamb of God is an American Heavy Metal band from Richmond, Virginia."

On a side note, I love how civil this forum is. Arguments made to/for a point of view, very little hostility. It makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

ULx1KcF.jpg

Rboy93

Rboy93
  • GA Captain
  • 1,283 posts
QUOTE (Dirge @ Oct 10 2011, 03:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you are looking for some thrash, its not a genre I've dabbled too much in, but anyone can instantly refer you to GWAR. Got my friend who listens to a lot of thrash to suggest me some for you, and he came up with this:

If I was told to suggest Thrash bands I'd go straight to the Big 4, plus melbourne bands 4ARM and In Malice's Wake. Those two are worth checking out live if anyone here is from Melb, Aus.

Tell me, what are your opinions on Hardcore and Metalcore?

I'm personally sick to death of people calling the two genres metal, and claiming they're "so fucking metal" for liking these bands. I'm not saying they're bad genres, but hardcore comes from punk and it pisses me off when I get grouped in with those kids for liking bands like Slayer. Also, if Metal and Punk both came out of rock, then Metalcore is an inbred genre that will hopefully have a shorten lifespan like most inbred things.

ThrashTitan

ThrashTitan
  • Members
  • 922 posts
QUOTE (Rboy93 @ Oct 10 2011, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I was told to suggest Thrash bands I'd go straight to the Big 4, plus melbourne bands 4ARM and In Malice's Wake. Those two are worth checking out live if anyone here is from Melb, Aus.

For thrash, look up Annihilator. Some might call them Power for their themes of killing orcs and such, but 3 Inches of Blood are good too.

As for the "core" genres, I speak as a guitarist when I say this; they are not near technical enough to capture my attention. Breakdowns that consist of fast root octets are not technical.

Dirge

Dirge

• GA Private
  • 6,101 posts
QUOTE (Maxorhead666 @ Oct 9 2011, 11:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tthe bit about Lamb of God being thrash metal wasn't what I edited, the bit where I said hardcore and then put in brackets to explain what I was talking about was. I didn't even listen to your music as good/bad as it may be, I just hate it when people claim something isn't metal when it clearly is. It happens way too often nowadays. Also, I would put Lamb of God closer to Slayer or Pantera - that's where it gets it's thrash and groove elements from. I don't even like LoG a massive load, I'm just saying. They. Are. Metal.

I was refferring to the fact that now that I had quoted what you said, you can't edit it to make your comment look less stupid, lol.

From Wikipedia, as unreliable as it may seem:
"Burn the Priest and early Lamb of God has been defined as a thrash metal, death metal and hardcore punk[46] or grindcore[47] hybrid with a strong element of power groove, which often connects Lamb of God with the influential metal band Pantera."

Wikipedia is a fine resource, and the general consensus from Wikipedia it seems is it isn't thrash metal. Next time, consult the leading metal resource: Encyclopedia Metallum

From eNotes:
"Lamb of God is an American Heavy Metal band from Richmond, Virginia."

eNotes? Don't know what it is but they have their shit wrong.

On a side note, I love how civil this forum is. Arguments made to/for a point of view, very little hostility. It makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

I tried to avoid the hostility this time is all. Anyone on this forum can tell you what I'm like icon_razz.gif

QUOTE (Rboy93 @ Oct 9 2011, 11:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm personally sick to death of people calling the two genres metal, and claiming they're "so fucking metal" for liking these bands. I'm not saying they're bad genres, but hardcore comes from punk and it pisses me off when I get grouped in with those kids for liking bands like Slayer. Also, if Metal and Punk both came out of rock, then Metalcore is an inbred genre that will hopefully have a shorten lifespan like most inbred things.

Eh, people more involved in the community see those people and generally treat them as an inside joke and laugh at em. Sure its annoying but hey, you have to start somewhere, and when you really dig down deep for better stuff and look around thats where you find the treasure trove.

Metallica is really big on the island I live on, see those punks thinking its so metal to love them. Whatver its fine, I don't care. They can like whatever music they like. However if they do approach me and say they listen to metal and list off a bunch of bands I know aren't metal, I'll just politely point them in the right direction and if they think I'm wrong Ill ask them to provide me sufficient evidence to prove otherwise to sway my opinion. If I'm wrong I'm wrong, if I'm right fuck you.

EDIT: I was wrong. Metallica is totally metal icon_sad.gif

Edited by Dirge, 11 October 2011 - 03:00 AM.

Rboy93

Rboy93
  • GA Captain
  • 1,283 posts
I've always considered LoG to be Groove Metal personally, but I haven't been listening to them that long really. As for eNotes saying they're Heavy Metal, I don't think they meant they're stritcly Heavy Metal, I think they're just classing them by genre, where as Grrove Metal would be the sub-genre.

Dirge

Dirge

• GA Private
  • 6,101 posts
Edited my post. Metallica is totally metal. My bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users