Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Does Anyone Outside The Pp Forums Really Talk/know About Pp Anymore?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

LalaLand

LalaLand
  • Members
  • 1,327 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction. Pure Pwnage. Comedy.
With PP losing its momentum now that the cat is out of the bag so to speak, is anyone finding that PP is remembered at all, in any capacity, in non-PP related communities? I don't mean YouTube videos by fans, I mean other websites. Particularly other webseries. It's kind of disappointing, but this whole "Internet Reviewer" thing seems to be the only kind of "web series" (if you can call it that) around these days, and yet most of the fans of these newcomers don't seem to know PP ever even existed in my experiences.

Is PP doomed to be just an internet fad, long forgotten by all aside from its once devoted fans? I think as the grandfather of web-series it deserves to be remembered and still watched by new viewers.

oldSkool

oldSkool
  • Members
  • 261 posts
I think you have to take into account the way society in general is moving.

Whilst PP was one of the first early good webseries out there - there's so much stuff on the 'internet' that these things get buried. The internet archive has a collection of all the PP episodes that were released on the web - but it's just like archaeology: things get buried then discovered in the future. Which is way things like the internet archive / waybackmachine exist, because the creatores realised a heap of internet history has the potential to be lost.

If you watch any of the 'popular' channels on youtube (rwj comes to mind) you'll notice that memes come and go. Rebecca Black was a big thing for about two or three weeks, then forgotten.

The point I'm trying to make is that things change very rapidly in the switched on-line generation that we live in.

Certain things will live on: 'boom, headshot' is the classic example - but, for the most part, I think it'll be forgotten. Or Perhaps, like so many childhood shows that are being discovered by a new generation, they too will be shown to a new generation, and a host of new interest will be sparked. Perhaps by then, J + G will be up to doing something icon_smile.gif

One day, when you're old enough - I'll tell you how I fought in the bit wars...

Nevermore

Nevermore
  • GA Private
  • 1,658 posts
  • Interests:Internets! Games! Music! Photography!
  • Gamer Army ID:1083
Most people are retarded now anyway so who cares a damn

ThrashTitan

ThrashTitan
  • Members
  • 922 posts
  • Steam ID:Maximus_Metallicus
I wear my I pwn n00bs shirt quite often out in public; only once has anybody said anything about it being from PP; a dude in my Java class. Gamers comment on it, but none know where its from.

I want a Boom Headshot one to see if people comment on the phrase; its as immortal as All Your Base really.
QUOTE (spiri7ussancti @ Jun 13 2011, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would like to clarify that I am indeed trolling in this particular thread.

QUOTE (spiri7ussancti @ Jun 8 2011, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
FIRST OF ALL. ur stupid, me and my friends have a name for kids like you we meet in pub games. We call them "new age gamer"

cadetduke

cadetduke
  • GA Private
  • 5,898 posts
  • xfire:cadetduke
  • Steam ID:cadetduke
  • Xbox / GFWL:cadetduke
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:2069
  • Company:Foxtrot
QUOTE (LalaLand @ Sep 20 2011, 09:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
this whole "Internet Reviewer" thing seems to be the only kind of "web series" (if you can call it that) around these days, and yet most of the fans of these newcomers don't seem to know PP ever even existed in my experiences.

Don't even know what this is to comment on it.
Midwest Gaming - Work in progress.

LalaLand

LalaLand
  • Members
  • 1,327 posts
QUOTE (cadetduke @ Sep 20 2011, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't even know what this is to comment on it.

You've never heard of the Angry Video game Nerd or the Nostalgia Critic? How often do you use the internet? lol. They're I'd say the two really big names right now so far as the web series scene goes. Then there's loads of copy cats not worth even mentioning. But very few, if any, successful story driven fiction on the web. It's a shame.

I agree with whoever said that on the Internet things become buried far too easily. People still remember and love old TV shows, but online it seems as if once something starts to fade it is doomed to be forgotten.

CakeCom

CakeCom
  • Members
  • 1,484 posts
QUOTE (LalaLand @ Sep 20 2011, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You've never heard of the Angry Video game Nerd or the Nostalgia Critic? How often do you use the internet? lol. They're I'd say the two really big names right now so far as the web series scene goes.

Tbh they're some of the few people worth mentioning at all these days.

There's also Day9 who... teaches I guess. Tutorial series seem to be getting really popular too.

And then there's "First Impression" guys who are pretty much just reviewers who don't have the balls to call themselves reviewers, such as TotalHalibut and Yahtzee.

Then there's the Yogscast whose main members I would strangle if I met in real life but are apparently are thought of as good let's players...
(I still don't get why)

Then there's a mess of other people trying to do their own thing. Anything on machinima these days is pretty much just the same trash rinse and repeated constantly.

x_byakugan_x

x_byakugan_x

holy shit I have a title

• Global Moderators
  • 4,912 posts
  • Steam ID:sfkingalpha
  • Xbox / GFWL:alphaferret415
  • PSN:alpha-ferret_415
  • Wii:Memorized?
  • Rofl-Rupees:9000
I don't see it being remembered by people other than PP fans at this point.. not with the way it went out. Boom headshot will be around, but no one will know where it's from.

QUOTE (Rickrolled @ Jan 10 2011, 04:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Love how the resident tough guy is happy to talk trash on an internet forum but back pedals as soon as he is called out. Typical coward. No doubt he'll respond to this with excessive bravado in order to restore his rightful place as a fully fledged internet badass.

I like to make werewolf...
MOVIES
bunny.jpg

LalaLand

LalaLand
  • Members
  • 1,327 posts
QUOTE (x_byakugan_x @ Sep 20 2011, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't see it being remembered by people other than PP fans at this point.. not with the way it went out. Boom headshot will be around, but no one will know where it's from.

That's a good point. Maybe if PP had a pre-announced completed "series finale" things would have been different since there would have been hype and something with a definitive "beginning middle and end." But I guess we'll never know.

ThrashTitan

ThrashTitan
  • Members
  • 922 posts
  • Steam ID:Maximus_Metallicus
QUOTE (CakeCom @ Sep 21 2011, 06:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And then there's "First Impression" guys who are pretty much just reviewers who don't have the balls to call themselves reviewers, such as TotalHalibut and Yahtzee.

Yahtzee's opinion means dick all. I watch him because he is entertaining, not because I think he has influence on my purchases.
QUOTE (spiri7ussancti @ Jun 13 2011, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would like to clarify that I am indeed trolling in this particular thread.

QUOTE (spiri7ussancti @ Jun 8 2011, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
FIRST OF ALL. ur stupid, me and my friends have a name for kids like you we meet in pub games. We call them "new age gamer"

CakeCom

CakeCom
  • Members
  • 1,484 posts
QUOTE (ThrashTitan @ Sep 20 2011, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yahtzee's opinion means dick all. I watch him because he is entertaining, not because I think he has influence on my purchases.

Actually I take his opinion seriously.

BUT not always in his videos. His blog posts are less interesting but way more detailed and usually written well enough to convince me whether or not I should even bother trying a game.

But his videos do sometimes make me think twice about games... also me and him share a very similar taste of video games (as to whether or not he's a troll I don't know, but if he is then me and his trolly side have the same taste in games). and by this I mean I dislike a wide variety of games and can pretty much only enjoy above average games. If it's average or even sub par I usually pirate it to kick an enemies corpse once or twice then write it off.

Also one of his favourite games is Silent Hill 2.
One of my favourite games is Silent Hill 2.

Therefore we should have camsex.

No but seriously, if you're a fan of Silent Hill 2, I'll likely respect your opinion when it comes to other games (unless you tell me something like you think Call of Duty should me taken seriously in the competitive scene... that's a whole different story though). He's also a fan of stealth games... so am I. He hates JRPGs, so do I. He only plays Call of Duty games for their singleplayer... this is probably one of the few things he does that I do differently.

But he does appear to be predominantly a console gamer, which is also a pretty big difference between me and him. He used to love PC games as a kid, I used to love console games as a kid. He plays console games as an adult, I play PC games as an adult.

(Also spirit, don't mention the Call of Duty thing in this thread... I think we've derailed enough threads with it and tbh I'm kind of sick of ranting aboot it)

Edited by CakeCom, 20 September 2011 - 06:42 PM.

Tom Bom

Tom Bom
  • Members
  • 191 posts
  • Interests:Video games, weed, surfin the internets, and stuff like that.
  • Xbox / GFWL:thomas455
Pure Pwnage definately lived on through the tv show. brought a whole new audience in.

anthonyoncoffee

anthonyoncoffee
  • Members
  • 192 posts
QUOTE (Tom Bom @ Sep 20 2011, 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pure Pwnage definately lived on through the tv show. brought a whole new audience in.
apparently not enough

tv show was a bad idea

pp excelled at what they did best
and there was nothing wrong with that

Skrie

Skrie

PP Lifetime Achievement & Overall Best PP Contributer 08

• GA Sergeant
  • 3,180 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:7
QUOTE (anthonyoncoffee @ Sep 23 2011, 02:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
tv show was a bad idea.

word

LalaLand

LalaLand
  • Members
  • 1,327 posts
QUOTE (Tom Bom @ Sep 20 2011, 07:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've never seen anyone mention the TV show anywhere on the internet.. except here.

CakeCom

CakeCom
  • Members
  • 1,484 posts
To be honest, I've mentioned it to friends at school (The TV show) who watch Kenny vs Spenny (same TV station) and say they saw the commercials but never watched the show.

So I wouldn't say it gained the biggest fanbase in the world... but was that really the point?

I just enjoyed how PP was pushing out new content... and maybe that was the point. Sure it wasn't the original PP, but it was still PP with Jeremy, Kyle and Doug. That's all that needs to be there for me to be entertained, 3 amazing personalities (although I missed Tagi =()punched into a great script. Not some gigantic laser battle with 7 irrelevant characters or a crazy bitch with a paintball gun getting revenge on some ninjaing asshole. Just 3 people, living their gamer / noob lives.

Wolfenbarg

Wolfenbarg
  • Members
  • 44 posts
I've shown a few people both the TV series and the web series. The web series still gets quotes and mentions in daily life, while I don't think they've ever even brought up the TV show. That makes sense though, since the web format allowed them to make episodes any length they needed to be to tell the story and characterize everyone. Then when they go off into crazy antics later, you actually care about what's going on. Crazy paintball chick and Doug doing Thriller in teh club are examples of what happens when you write crazy scenarios for characters people don't know anything about yet. They just don't connect.

Also, in an odd twist, the board that originally showed me Pure Pwnage was sort of resurrected. I brought up the show, and even the people who originally linked it to me had completely forgotten about it. They'd laugh when a reference was put up in Call of Duty or something, but never actively went back to the series. Sad.

garychencool

garychencool
  • Members
  • 88 posts
  • Interests:GAMES! COMPUTERS AND TECHNOLOGY!
things change, change is constant, nothing lives forever.

spiri7ussancti

spiri7ussancti
  • Members
  • 612 posts
  • Steam ID:spiri7us sancti
  • Xbox / GFWL:spiri7us sancti
  • Wii:lolololol
QUOTE (garychencool @ Sep 28 2011, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

but war, war never changes...

i had a guy at walmart the other day ask me if my boom headshot shirt, was just a counter strike shirt, or a purepwnage shirt.

i was like FUCK YA, and then i went on with my life.

This is spam.. but it's pretty good. - Byakugan

LalaLand

LalaLand
  • Members
  • 1,327 posts
QUOTE (garychencool @ Sep 28 2011, 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sure this logic works in this context. Cinema has been around for just over one hundred years now, but people still remember classics from decades ago.

Edited by LalaLand, 28 September 2011 - 04:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users