Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Does Anyone Outside The Pp Forums Really Talk/know About Pp Anymore?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Wolfenbarg

Wolfenbarg
  • Members
  • 44 posts
QUOTE (LalaLand @ Sep 28 2011, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not sure this logic works in this context. Cinema has been around for just over one hundred years now, but people still remember classics from decades ago.

There is a blurring effect, though. The further back you go, the clearer people's memories of classic or successful titles are. These days quite a few films are released per week, even during the least successful weeks of the year. Then you've got television programming whose writing competes with television, video games, and streaming content online. On the internet, things change so fast that the things that are popular this year will be laughably aged next year. Building your brand is very difficult in this day and age. The problem with Pure Pwnage is that they stopped making web content just as it started to become legitimate and viable for the mass market, so they essentially missed their window to become a timeless brand for web culture. Instead, only the people who were there at the time or the chance viewers who get redirected here will speak about PP like it was an icon of the development of the web as an entertainment medium.

LalaLand

LalaLand
  • Members
  • 1,327 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction. Pure Pwnage. Comedy.
QUOTE (Wolfenbarg @ Sep 29 2011, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The problem with Pure Pwnage is that they stopped making web content just as it started to become legitimate and viable for the mass market, so they essentially missed their window to become a timeless brand for web culture. Instead, only the people who were there at the time or the chance viewers who get redirected here will speak about PP like it was an icon of the development of the web as an entertainment medium.

This probably hits the nail on the head. I think that had PP finished and wrapped up its story in some powerful meaningful way, it may have had the chance to transcend into that timelessness quality. I say may because it's hard to say for sure, the internet just so unpredictable. I wonder if all the boom headshot FPS Doug popularity was really just a fad?

Edited by LalaLand, 29 September 2011 - 03:55 PM.

oldSkool

oldSkool
  • Members
  • 259 posts
QUOTE (Wolfenbarg @ Sep 30 2011, 04:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The problem with Pure Pwnage is that they stopped making web content just as it started to become legitimate and viable for the mass market, so they essentially missed their window to become a timeless brand for web culture. Instead, only the people who were there at the time or the chance viewers who get redirected here will speak about PP like it was an icon of the development of the web as an entertainment medium.

One day, when you're old enough - I'll tell you how I fought in the bit wars...

cheesebandan

cheesebandan
  • GA Corporal
  • 219 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:156
I used to love PP back in the day getting very impatient when a episode didnt air in time for me lol. Good times i miss them icon_sad.gif
GA #156

grimm

grimm
  • Members
  • 1,179 posts
  • xfire:xgrimmx
  • Interests:Counter Strike, Anime, Movies, Music (Metal and Rock FTW), and of course Pure Pwnage.
  • Wii:Be up soon!
Wow its been forever since ive been on these forums lol. Thought id nostalgia about the good old days of PP. Unfortunately nobody I know still talks about them, they were a very important flash in the pan in my life I guess. I dont think I have ever been so dedicated to a single series, making the effort to go to fan meet ups and meeting the people behind the show when they came down to Aus. The moment they made it to TV the community died a bit imo. A show that was so much an internet community within itself just didnt come together like it used to, and when it didnt all work out it seems to have just slowed down to a halt. I am glad these forums are still relatively active, nothing compared to what they used to be, but still its good to see there is still a community of people that recognize the show icon_smile.gif

Nevermore

Nevermore
  • GA Private
  • 1,658 posts
  • Interests:Internets! Games! Music! Photography!
  • Gamer Army ID:1083
Teh TV show got all the pure fans butthurt

ThrashTitan

ThrashTitan
  • Members
  • 922 posts
  • Steam ID:Maximus_Metallicus
QUOTE (Nevermore @ Nov 29 2011, 09:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Teh TV show got all the pure fans butthurt

I have never understood why.
QUOTE (spiri7ussancti @ Jun 13 2011, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would like to clarify that I am indeed trolling in this particular thread.

QUOTE (spiri7ussancti @ Jun 8 2011, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
FIRST OF ALL. ur stupid, me and my friends have a name for kids like you we meet in pub games. We call them "new age gamer"

x_byakugan_x

x_byakugan_x

holy shit I have a title

• Global Moderators
  • 4,867 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:alphaferret415
  • PSN:alpha-ferret_415
  • Wii:Memorized?
  • Rofl-Rupees:None
Cause the time spent on the show could have been spent on making web episodes, without modifying the characters for TV. Had the TV show been a success though, we'd probably have gotten the last webisode too. Now there's just nothing. Even more reason for butthurtness.

QUOTE (Rickrolled @ Jan 10 2011, 04:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Love how the resident tough guy is happy to talk trash on an internet forum but back pedals as soon as he is called out. Typical coward. No doubt he'll respond to this with excessive bravado in order to restore his rightful place as a fully fledged internet badass.

I like to make werewolf...
MOVIES
bunny.jpg

Nevermore

Nevermore
  • GA Private
  • 1,658 posts
QUOTE (x_byakugan_x @ Nov 29 2011, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cause the time spent on the show could have been spent on making web episodes, without modifying the characters for TV. Had the TV show been a success though, we'd probably have gotten the last webisode too. Now there's just nothing. Even more reason for butthurtness.

I don't think you truly understand Teh TV Show.

LalaLand

LalaLand
  • Members
  • 1,327 posts
QUOTE (ThrashTitan @ Nov 28 2011, 08:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have never understood why.

Because Geoff stopped working on the web series around the same time the TV series started up. And that was the death of the webseries, which I still think is far superior.. production values aside.

Nevermore

Nevermore
  • GA Private
  • 1,658 posts
Sooooooo we would all prefer one more webisode instead of the entire TV thing?

LalaLand

LalaLand
  • Members
  • 1,327 posts
QUOTE (Nevermore @ Nov 28 2011, 11:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Personally I would have. I didn't really think the TV show was "PP" to me. But I can't/won't speak for everyone.

Nevermore

Nevermore
  • GA Private
  • 1,658 posts
QUOTE (LalaLand @ Nov 29 2011, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Personally I would have. I didn't really think the TV show was "PP" to me. But I can't/won't speak for everyone.

But that's what most of this forum thinks.

I thought that was the point, it wasn't "PP" because it was Teh TV Show.. made inside "PP"

LalaLand

LalaLand
  • Members
  • 1,327 posts
QUOTE (Nevermore @ Nov 29 2011, 07:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But that's what most of this forum thinks.

I thought that was the point, it wasn't "PP" because it was Teh TV Show.. made inside "PP"

I don't really care about all that meta-narrative stuff. It wasn't PP because the writing style was far too different. The characters seemed more like morons to me than people, I hate to say.. and the humor far less gaming-centric. The web-series had a lot more heart, and not being forced to fit into a TV like time frame offered the writing style much more freedom to do things that broke the tedious formula that TV shows have to follow.

x_byakugan_x

x_byakugan_x

holy shit I have a title

• Global Moderators
  • 4,867 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:alphaferret415
  • PSN:alpha-ferret_415
  • Wii:Memorized?
  • Rofl-Rupees:None
QUOTE (Nevermore @ Nov 28 2011, 07:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Definitely.

QUOTE (Rickrolled @ Jan 10 2011, 04:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Love how the resident tough guy is happy to talk trash on an internet forum but back pedals as soon as he is called out. Typical coward. No doubt he'll respond to this with excessive bravado in order to restore his rightful place as a fully fledged internet badass.

I like to make werewolf...
MOVIES
bunny.jpg

Original Sin

Original Sin
  • GA Private
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Gaming, Swimming
  • Xbox / GFWL:Original Sin33
  • PSN:Maybe Someday
  • Rofl-Rupees:3
  • Gamer Army ID:180
I loved the TV show.

monsoonlol.png

"Don't be ashamed. It's only nature running its course."

LalaLand

LalaLand
  • Members
  • 1,327 posts
QUOTE (Original Sin @ Nov 29 2011, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I loved the TV show.

Nothing wrong with that. To each his own.

grimm

grimm
  • Members
  • 1,179 posts
  • xfire:xgrimmx
  • Interests:Counter Strike, Anime, Movies, Music (Metal and Rock FTW), and of course Pure Pwnage.
  • Wii:Be up soon!
I liked the TV show, however it wasn't Pure Pwnage. It had been very much dumbed down (in terms of gamer knowledge and gamer references) to appeal to a larger audience. Which really does not suprise me. Also I think part of the majesty of the show is that for the community it was FOR us, and in a way about us. Once it "went mainstream" (a term I hate, but the most fitting one here) the community felt less included in the show, and so it all slowly crumbled away.

Hades.

Hades.
  • GA Private
  • 4,189 posts
  • Interests:Holy fuck Ive been on these forums for a long time. They pretty much raised me tbh
  • Xbox / GFWL:Undisclosed
  • Wii:Don't want.
  • Gamer Army ID:4225
  • Company:Alpha
A few guys at my Naval reserve unit are into PurePwnage and they aren't on the forums! Other than that, when I talk about Purepwnage I usually get a response from the person I'm talking to about how bad the TV series was. Most people don't know about the web series.

79577008.png

LalaLand

LalaLand
  • Members
  • 1,327 posts
QUOTE (Hades. @ Nov 30 2011, 04:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A few guys at my Naval reserve unit are into PurePwnage and they aren't on the forums! Other than that, when I talk about Purepwnage I usually get a response from the person I'm talking to about how bad the TV series was. Most people don't know about the web series.

The first part of your post is awesome. But the second part is depressing. Mentioning the TV show gets responses of "Man, that thing SUCKED?" I wonder if that's somehow worse tan them having never even heard of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users