Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Usb 3.0 - Expansion Ports/hub

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

ACG137

ACG137
  • GA Private
  • 1,402 posts
  • xfire:acg137
  • Interests:Pwning Philippine noobs<br />Airsoft
  • Steam ID:acg137
  • Xbox / GFWL:ACG137
  • PSN:alv_atgo
  • Gamer Army ID:2874
  • Company:Phi
So Lately I've been buying some equipment that supports USB 3.0 and luckily my motherboard has the USB 3.0 support however my motherboard only has 2 slots

So I thought why not get those USB Expansion bays but what I want to know is if I use a USB 2.0 based expansion bay/hub, will it work like USB 3.0? Or do I need to get a specific USB 3.0-based Expansion hub?

Thanks in advance!!! (haven't posted here in a while lol)

Edited by ACG137, 05 September 2011 - 11:28 PM.

oldSkool

oldSkool
  • Members
  • 259 posts
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly sure I'm not icon_razz.gif

If you got a USB 2.0 hub, you would only get USB 2.0 speed through it [and thus, wasting a USB 3.0 port].

You'd need to find a hub that supports usb 3.0 - if they exist. May still be too early.
One day, when you're old enough - I'll tell you how I fought in the bit wars...

7h3 n00b m4573r

7h3 n00b m4573r

Best HW & SW Contributor 08 & 09

• CCA
  • 9,600 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:Dont like
  • PSN:Completely detest
  • Wii:Cant afford
That's correct
Just like if your computer has a gigabit network card but you use a 100 Mbit switch you'll only get a 100Mbit connection, the system goes as fast as the slowest component between each device and the host PC
USB 3.0 hubs are available but the price isn't friendly, what i'd recommend you do firstly is assess which of your USB 3.0 items will show benefits from using USB 3.0 then if you need extra ports use PCIe x1 expansion cards instead, much cheaper per port than a USB 3.0 hub

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Metabox P170 laptop
i7 3610QM 2.3GHz
4x4GB RAM
256GB SSD + 1TB HDD
nVidia GTX675M

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users