Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Okay, Since Pp Is Dead, What Is The New Pp Web Series Out There?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

McStupid1

McStupid1
  • Members
  • 73 posts
Okay, if the PP series is truly dead, we all need to move on. So I ask you, to where?

Is there another web series out there revolving around gamers that is even half as good as PP was?

CakeCom

CakeCom
  • Members
  • 1,484 posts
Depends what you like.

I've found nothing as addictive as PP as a series, but Thatguywiththeglasses.com has some pretty amazing show- the Nostlagia critic being one of them.

I'm also not sure if you're aware of the Angry Video Game Nerd (Cinemassacre.com) but he's also entertaining at times.

IF you're into Starcraft check out Day9's dailys (dont have a link, you can find him tho not that hard), they're both informative and entertaining

Zero Punctuation is actually my second favourite online show (PP being my first) you can just google him and find some of his stuff- he's an amazing reviewer if you like cynical bastards

Speaking of cynical bastards there's the CynicalBrit or Totalhalibut, you can find him on YouTube

Again, none of these are as good as PP- but if you subscribe to all of their shows then you'll find yourself almost never bored on YouTube.

ALSO check out Extra Creditz if you're the debate kind of guy in the video game world.

Andrack

Andrack
  • GA Private
  • 2,037 posts
  • PSN:Andrack64
  • Gamer Army ID:1202
  • Company:Kilo
Mega64 has been going strong for a while. I'd be a little surprised if you've never heard of them until now though.

CakeCom

CakeCom
  • Members
  • 1,484 posts
QUOTE (Andrack @ Sep 3 2011, 06:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mega64 has been going strong for a while.

This is another show that's awesome at times.

McStupid1

McStupid1
  • Members
  • 73 posts
I play a good bit of Starcraft 2, and I've seen Day 9 a lot. I'm a Terran player, currently in Bronze division. I was Silver ranked in Season 2, but the Season 3 placement match put me back in Bronze.

I'm also kinda famous on the blizzard starcraft forums for my raging at people in game when I lose. I got banned from the forums several times and then finally permabanned.

McStupid.866 is my name and code, tell me you saw me here if you wanna play one!

I'll look at some of those shows.

Wolfenbarg

Wolfenbarg
  • Members
  • 44 posts
QUOTE (CakeCom @ Sep 3 2011, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Depends what you like.

I've found nothing as addictive as PP as a series, but Thatguywiththeglasses.com has some pretty amazing show- the Nostlagia critic being one of them.

I'm also not sure if you're aware of the Angry Video Game Nerd (Cinemassacre.com) but he's also entertaining at times.

IF you're into Starcraft check out Day9's dailys (dont have a link, you can find him tho not that hard), they're both informative and entertaining

Zero Punctuation is actually my second favourite online show (PP being my first) you can just google him and find some of his stuff- he's an amazing reviewer if you like cynical bastards

Speaking of cynical bastards there's the CynicalBrit or Totalhalibut, you can find him on YouTube

Again, none of these are as good as PP- but if you subscribe to all of their shows then you'll find yourself almost never bored on YouTube.

ALSO check out Extra Creditz if you're the debate kind of guy in the video game world.

Thing is, none of those are narrative series. For something to fill the void, it has to be more than a commentary or review show, which most on the internet are. There are a few candidates in this category, though after seeing Pure Pwnage, I'm not sure how well these stack up...

Commodore Hustle, by Loading Ready Run, had a pretty damn good first season. It was a sitcom about their crew's lives while trying to make their weekly video. Unfortunately, after the first season they joined the Escapist and killed the long format. Current updates are between 5-8 minutes long and very self contained.

Doomsday Arcade on The Escapist is probably the closest anyone has come to getting gaming humor perfect and making a show about it. It's about gaming characters who invade the real world, plenty of comic potential. It finished its run last year. It didn't end as strong as it could have, but it was a damn good ride. It also had really damned good production values for a zero budget show on the internet. These guys ingeniously managed to pull together costumes for all Team Fortress 2 characters, a zombie horde, a Fallout vault dweller, and even a Big Daddy. They also had a Rorschach styled dice lord villain... thing... with a moving face pattern. Top notch stuff.

Apocalypse Lane and Doraleous and Associates by the folks at Hank and Jed productions were both great as well. One is a post apocalyptic adventure about a cul de sac of mutants trying to survive in the new world while the other is a high fantasy adventure of a troupe of inept mercernaries. Both animated, both awesome. Though Doraleous has stopped making updates while the crew finishes a feature film.

The new Pro Gamer Gauntlet is also pretty good. The story of a group of gaming personal trainers trying to justify their own existence. This too has recently gone on hiatus...

There's also Doctor Horrible's Sing Along Blog. That was a internet mini-series made by television industry pros during the writer's strike a few years back though, so I don't know if it counts. Either way, everyone should watch this, it was really fucking good.

It's hard to get legitimacy with web content when all the good stuff goes under. I really hope there are more than these that I'm forgetting, but I doubt it. There really aren't enough narrative web series out there.

Edited by Wolfenbarg, 03 September 2011 - 11:55 PM.

oldSkool

oldSkool
  • Members
  • 261 posts
I think anything 'worthy' often has a short life-span for a number of reasons:

- Originality of the idea dies after a while (RvB is a classic example, imo)
- Burn out (tied to previous comment)
- Trying to find a niche that develops a following

PP was unique in many ways, and I don't think you could ever find anything even close to resemble it. PP had a variety of different elements (mocku/documentary, fantasy, commentary, drama).

Anyone that would attempt to do something similar would most likely get shredded for being 'unoriginal' or trying to cash in on other peoples ideas.

One day, when you're old enough - I'll tell you how I fought in the bit wars...

LalaLand

LalaLand
  • Members
  • 1,327 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction. Pure Pwnage. Comedy.
QUOTE (oldSkool @ Sep 4 2011, 08:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think anything 'worthy' often has a short life-span for a number of reasons:

- Originality of the idea dies after a while (RvB is a classic example, imo)
- Burn out (tied to previous comment)
- Trying to find a niche that develops a following

PP was unique in many ways, and I don't think you could ever find anything even close to resemble it. PP had a variety of different elements (mocku/documentary, fantasy, commentary, drama).

Anyone that would attempt to do something similar would most likely get shredded for being 'unoriginal' or trying to cash in on other peoples ideas.

The reason PP was unique as opposed to other web series right now was because it actually tried to tell a story. It was fiction, and ONLY fiction. The internet is a little to full of one of two things right now: Sketch comedy (like the mentioned Mega 64) and Online Reviewers (angry video game nerd types). Nobody else has really to dare try fiction yet. Or do it as well as PP has anyway. But someone someday will. There are many starving filmmakers looking to make it on the net. Somebody will eventually do fiction well again sooner or later, even if it's not related to gaming.

I think what made PP really stand out though was the mockumentry style. Not that mockumentries were invented by PP, but the combination of mockumentry with everything else they did I think is what can't really be repeated.

The only gaming related webseries that I can think of which isn't just sketches or reviews is the guild. I'm not really too big a fan of it but it's pretty damn close to what PP is and I think it's still going.

Edited by LalaLand, 04 September 2011 - 10:14 AM.

Learn2Pown

Learn2Pown
  • Members
  • 3 posts
Seeing this thread comes at a ironic time for me. PP is what made me become a filmmaker. I have always wanted to do a gaming show. Been wanting to for like five years or more. I have all the equipment, but like no actors. Pulling resources together is so difficult. But I think I may have found a way to pull it off.

Yesterday my friend and I went around town and just filmed stuff. Main reason was to film for our youtube gaming channel. It ended up with him talking about his back story, gaming, etc. Now I have almost an intro done with an episode name and title. And it actually is fairly decent.

To describe my friend, he is very over the top like FPS Doug, except for fighting games.

If anyone is interested, I'll upload what I have. icon_biggrin.gif

oldSkool

oldSkool
  • Members
  • 261 posts
QUOTE (Learn2Pown @ Sep 9 2011, 08:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sure whoever is still here would be interested icon_smile.gif
Just make sure you cut it together first, not just raw footage icon_razz.gif

Edited by oldSkool, 08 September 2011 - 08:10 PM.

Learn2Pown

Learn2Pown
  • Members
  • 3 posts
QUOTE (oldSkool @ Sep 8 2011, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sure whoever is still here would be interested icon_smile.gif
Just make sure you cut it together first, not just raw footage icon_razz.gif

So far I have all that I can get edited, edited. I'll have to wait till tomorrow. So far we've got an episode name, "The Gaming Life". Basically, he says "It's been a dream of mine to live the gaming life". Ends on this shot.

Title.

I have an idea for the next scene. Whenever his GF goes on the PC, he likes to play some Dreamcast...on a tiny CRT display on his van's car seat, in a near empty living room. I always found it pretty funny. I wanted to cut to him in the room really dark, him playing Dreamcast.

Long Shot
From back of CRT, facing him.

Me - "This isn't quite what I had in mind"
Him - "You wanted to film me playing games. Be careful what you wish for, Antonio"

Close Up
Showing him playing with Dreamcast controller.

Medium Shot
Profile of him.

Long Shot
From back of CRT, facing him.

Me - "Lets go get something to eat"
Him - "Fine."
(beat)
"Where do you want to go?"
Me - "How about that coffee shop downtown? I heard it was pretty nice."

INT Car

Then him introducing his car. Which is really beaten up. You can see where I'm going.

I want a story, but don't know if I want fantasy elements. This may be an interesting endeavor. What do you guys think?

Edit: We're going to film tomorrow. Tomorrows his b-day, and he is willing to film before the party and stuff. If you guys are interested in my idea, I can post a separate thread. Assuming its not against any rules of the forum.

Edited by Learn2Pown, 09 September 2011 - 12:46 AM.

x_byakugan_x

x_byakugan_x

holy shit I have a title

• Global Moderators
  • 4,904 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:alphaferret415
  • PSN:alpha-ferret_415
  • Wii:Memorized?
  • Rofl-Rupees:None
Do it.

QUOTE (Rickrolled @ Jan 10 2011, 04:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Love how the resident tough guy is happy to talk trash on an internet forum but back pedals as soon as he is called out. Typical coward. No doubt he'll respond to this with excessive bravado in order to restore his rightful place as a fully fledged internet badass.

I like to make werewolf...
MOVIES
bunny.jpg

oldSkool

oldSkool
  • Members
  • 261 posts
QUOTE (x_byakugan_x @ Sep 9 2011, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do it.

That icon_smile.gif

Also - spend a bit of time trying to work out what you want to do, and which direction you want to go.

I'm in the post-production process for a short film I did as part of a uni project. I spent about a month reworking the original idea / script to what it finally became.
Spending that little bit of time [at some point] will be good. Remember - Geoff and Jarett originally just went and had fun, and it built from there.

You have the potential to do the same - just be sure you keep true to whatever style you choose. Variations are ok - so long as they have a purpose.

Edited by oldSkool, 09 September 2011 - 08:14 AM.

Learn2Pown

Learn2Pown
  • Members
  • 3 posts
QUOTE (x_byakugan_x @ Sep 9 2011, 04:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do it.

We will. icon_biggrin.gif

QUOTE (oldSkool @ Sep 9 2011, 09:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That icon_smile.gif

Also - spend a bit of time trying to work out what you want to do, and which direction you want to go.

I'm in the post-production process for a short film I did as part of a uni project. I spent about a month reworking the original idea / script to what it finally became.
Spending that little bit of time [at some point] will be good. Remember - Geoff and Jarett originally just went and had fun, and it built from there.

You have the potential to do the same - just be sure you keep true to whatever style you choose. Variations are ok - so long as they have a purpose.

We have a pretty good idea on our direction so far. Scriptwriting can take a long time and many unexpected paths. We are starting a similar way, basically what is on my mind is. I want to have fun doing this. An added bonus would be to be able to quit this shitty job and do film/TV/etc, and put my all into producing the show. And, honestly, having support from the fans of PP would be a blessing. Some of the nicest, kindest people in the gaming community here.

As for our style, its similar to PP. Reason being is because it is the most natural, I like filming stuff documentary style. How this is filmed, is how I film basically every day for unrelated content.

Also another reason for wanting to do this is. I saw a few of the gaming shows (with story etc), I feel when I watch them that there is something lacking. The Game Basement is alright, but the camera cuts and shots seem off. Feels unnatural. The humor seems really forced as well. I loved PP's, humor, it was situational and never, ever forced. Same with the show Louie (written, directed, acted by Louis CK). I don't want to throw in words like "noob, "pwn", etc like buzzwords. What seems to be happening with the other shows. So far there has been two shows that have done it right, PP and The Guild.

I want that same heart and soul to be there. A show by competitive gamers, for competitive gamers.

iamthe0ne23

iamthe0ne23
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • xfire:iamtheone123
  • PSN:B00STER123
Can you make a twitter/facebook/youtube page for us to follow/like/subscribe? I'm interested in your show but logging onto PP forums just to check your new posts is annoying me, because I keep forgetting to do it! Drop a link here or something for us man! icon_razz.gif

walzuu

walzuu
  • Members
  • 16 posts
Legend of Neil was/is somewhat good. Haven't watched the newest episodes though since I stopped at some point in season 2 (can't remember why). It's a parody of Legend of Zelda. This loser guy gets sucked into a Zelda game and has to save the princess. I guess I could watch the new eps now. Here's the link: http://www.effinfunn.../legend-of-neil

Flukie Lukie

Flukie Lukie
  • Members
  • 212 posts
  • xfire:flukielukie
  • Xbox / GFWL:Fluk13 Luk13
Agreed with alot of posts here, watch all the shows on the second thread but nothing that was like Pure Pwnage.

embroisured

embroisured
  • GA Private
  • 1,724 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:Drunkard Zero
  • Gamer Army ID:3725
mega64 has a wealth of videos on the internet, but the actual show is on dvd. get the 3 dvd's of mega64, watch them all and you will absolutely love it. it has a story thats deeper than the pp story and actually gets wrapped up at the end.

BILLY AGE 8

BILLY AGE 8
  • Members
  • 338 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:8
QUOTE (Wolfenbarg @ Sep 3 2011, 10:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thing is, none of those are narrative series.

Actually, Mega 64's dvd "versions" are a narrative series, that ties in all their short online videos. The only problem... You have to buy their dvd sets, or i guess try and find them somewhere else. My little bro has all their dvds, and i have seen them all through, it's pretty funny and it does follow a narrative story.

And I didn't see your reply embroisured, but yeah, it's deep, but it doesn't really get wrapped up, in my opinion. I feel that it has a bit more to explain, and they could come out with a version 4.

Also, its nothing like PP, but i would say try out Marble Hornets on Youtube, if you haven't already. It's still going, it is a narrative, and it starts out well. Has some great scares and effects, the acting down the road gets pretty bad, but to be expected. I would say that's one that i have followed pretty well, and it's kept me interested to find out what comes next.

Edited by BILLY AGE 8, 09 October 2011 - 11:40 AM.

spiri7ussancti

spiri7ussancti
  • Members
  • 612 posts
  • Steam ID:spiri7us sancti
  • Xbox / GFWL:spiri7us sancti
  • Wii:lolololol
QUOTE (CakeCom @ Sep 3 2011, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
\
ALSO check out Extra Creditz

awesome show

QUOTE (Wolfenbarg @ Sep 3 2011, 11:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There's also Doctor Horrible's Sing Along Blog. That was a internet mini-series made by television industry pros during the writer's strike a few years back though, so I don't know if it counts. Either way, everyone should watch this, it was really fucking good.

I FUCKIN LOVE DOCTOR HORRIBLE

but lets be honest here. Even if i could find something just like purepwnage, it would most likely come off as a purepwnage rip off, and i wouldn't enjoy it.

Nothing's ever going to be able to fill that hole.
QUOTE (Learn2Pown @ Sep 8 2011, 05:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

for sure dude. slap a link in here when it's up.

This is spam.. but it's pretty good. - Byakugan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users