Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Okay, Since Pp Is Dead, What Is The New Pp Web Series Out There?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

anthonyoncoffee

anthonyoncoffee
  • Members
  • 192 posts
there isn't such a thing as Pure Pwnage 2.0

Pure Pwnage did what it did best, and no other show can ever duplicate it

MestHoop

MestHoop
  • Members
  • 43 posts
Wow, this account still works icon_biggrin.gif Haven't posted anything in 4+ years?
Anyway, I just wanted to point out the following group if people didn't know about them yet: www.loadingreadyrun.com

They're a bunch of Canadian comedians who've been doing online skits way before the days of youtube icon_smile.gif
In their "sub-show" called Commodore Hustle, they play exaggerated versions of themselves and the first 10 eps or so are actually close to feature length.
Currently they do a lot of work for the Escapist, and because of it the new commodore hustle episodes are back down to 5 to 10 minute skits, but at least the first "season" should fill somewhat of the gap that PP left behind.

Should note on the fact that it's not just about gaming, but nerd humor in general (star trek, D&D, fantasy, etc.)
Graham, one of the main players in LLR, was actually in one of the production blogs (where Jeremy and Doug get acting lessons).

Edited by MestHoop, 03 November 2011 - 10:16 AM.

user posted image

eafkuor

eafkuor
  • Members
  • 552 posts
Community
Breaking Bad
Rome
Battlestar Galactica

You're just not gonna find a web series as good as PP.

CakeCom

CakeCom
  • Members
  • 1,484 posts
QUOTE (eafkuor @ Dec 15 2011, 07:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Battlestar Galactica

But in all seriousness, haven't seen you in a looooong time eafkuor. Nice seeing that good ol' avatar's still kicking.

Nevermore

Nevermore
  • GA Private
  • 1,658 posts
  • Interests:Internets! Games! Music! Photography!
  • Gamer Army ID:1083
http://www.liveleak....=c7a_1323686683

ThrashTitan

ThrashTitan
  • Members
  • 922 posts
  • Steam ID:Maximus_Metallicus
QUOTE (Nevermore @ Dec 17 2011, 01:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

AH HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
QUOTE (spiri7ussancti @ Jun 13 2011, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would like to clarify that I am indeed trolling in this particular thread.

QUOTE (spiri7ussancti @ Jun 8 2011, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
FIRST OF ALL. ur stupid, me and my friends have a name for kids like you we meet in pub games. We call them "new age gamer"

x_byakugan_x

x_byakugan_x

holy shit I have a title

• Global Moderators
  • 4,862 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:alphaferret415
  • PSN:alpha-ferret_415
  • Wii:Memorized?
  • Rofl-Rupees:None
LOL. Dude looks like he did it out of his control. A spark of hulk lit up inside him for just a second, then he regretted it. That's what she gets though.

Edited by x_byakugan_x, 16 December 2011 - 08:38 PM.

QUOTE (Rickrolled @ Jan 10 2011, 04:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Love how the resident tough guy is happy to talk trash on an internet forum but back pedals as soon as he is called out. Typical coward. No doubt he'll respond to this with excessive bravado in order to restore his rightful place as a fully fledged internet badass.

I like to make werewolf...
MOVIES
bunny.jpg

TheSHADOWLINK

TheSHADOWLINK
  • GA Private
  • 1,102 posts
  • Steam ID:awsomesuper
  • Xbox / GFWL:sh4dowl1nk
  • Wii:sh4dowl1nk
  • Gamer Army ID:3880
QUOTE (Wolfenbarg @ Sep 3 2011, 11:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thing is, none of those are narrative series. For something to fill the void, it has to be more than a commentary or review show, which most on the internet are. There are a few candidates in this category, though after seeing Pure Pwnage, I'm not sure how well these stack up...

Commodore Hustle, by Loading Ready Run, had a pretty damn good first season. It was a sitcom about their crew's lives while trying to make their weekly video. Unfortunately, after the first season they joined the Escapist and killed the long format. Current updates are between 5-8 minutes long and very self contained.

Doomsday Arcade on The Escapist is probably the closest anyone has come to getting gaming humor perfect and making a show about it. It's about gaming characters who invade the real world, plenty of comic potential. It finished its run last year. It didn't end as strong as it could have, but it was a damn good ride. It also had really damned good production values for a zero budget show on the internet. These guys ingeniously managed to pull together costumes for all Team Fortress 2 characters, a zombie horde, a Fallout vault dweller, and even a Big Daddy. They also had a Rorschach styled dice lord villain... thing... with a moving face pattern. Top notch stuff.

Apocalypse Lane and Doraleous and Associates by the folks at Hank and Jed productions were both great as well. One is a post apocalyptic adventure about a cul de sac of mutants trying to survive in the new world while the other is a high fantasy adventure of a troupe of inept mercernaries. Both animated, both awesome. Though Doraleous has stopped making updates while the crew finishes a feature film.

The new Pro Gamer Gauntlet is also pretty good. The story of a group of gaming personal trainers trying to justify their own existence. This too has recently gone on hiatus...

There's also Doctor Horrible's Sing Along Blog. That was a internet mini-series made by television industry pros during the writer's strike a few years back though, so I don't know if it counts. Either way, everyone should watch this, it was really fucking good.

It's hard to get legitimacy with web content when all the good stuff goes under. I really hope there are more than these that I'm forgetting, but I doubt it. There really aren't enough narrative web series out there.

Go watch WCG ultimate game season 1-2
and the walking dead.

I forgot about these jokers months ago.
Source: I have a life now.

sh4dowl1nk.jpg  -_-

Tankyroo

Tankyroo
  • Members
  • 2 posts
I've really enjoyed The Guild, they still make them, but the most recent season recently ended.

liquidicevi

liquidicevi
  • Members
  • 1,410 posts
  • Interests:Games, people, life.
  • PSN:Liquid_Ice_VI
QUOTE (MestHoop @ Nov 4 2011, 01:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow, this account still works icon_biggrin.gif Haven't posted anything in 4+ years?
Anyway, I just wanted to point out the following group if people didn't know about them yet: www.loadingreadyrun.com

They're a bunch of Canadian comedians who've been doing online skits way before the days of youtube icon_smile.gif
In their "sub-show" called Commodore Hustle, they play exaggerated versions of themselves and the first 10 eps or so are actually close to feature length.
Currently they do a lot of work for the Escapist, and because of it the new commodore hustle episodes are back down to 5 to 10 minute skits, but at least the first "season" should fill somewhat of the gap that PP left behind.

Should note on the fact that it's not just about gaming, but nerd humor in general (star trek, D&D, fantasy, etc.)
Graham, one of the main players in LLR, was actually in one of the production blogs (where Jeremy and Doug get acting lessons).

Wow A commodore Hustle fan.
Awesome. It's a great little show though not for everyone

1a_zps7e591386.jpg

x_byakugan_x

x_byakugan_x

holy shit I have a title

• Global Moderators
  • 4,862 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:alphaferret415
  • PSN:alpha-ferret_415
  • Wii:Memorized?
  • Rofl-Rupees:None
QUOTE (Learn2Pown @ Sep 8 2011, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So far I have all that I can get edited, edited. I'll have to wait till tomorrow. So far we've got an episode name, "The Gaming Life". Basically, he says "It's been a dream of mine to live the gaming life". Ends on this shot.

Title.

I have an idea for the next scene. Whenever his GF goes on the PC, he likes to play some Dreamcast...on a tiny CRT display on his van's car seat, in a near empty living room. I always found it pretty funny. I wanted to cut to him in the room really dark, him playing Dreamcast.

Long Shot
From back of CRT, facing him.

Me - "This isn't quite what I had in mind"
Him - "You wanted to film me playing games. Be careful what you wish for, Antonio"

Close Up
Showing him playing with Dreamcast controller.

Medium Shot
Profile of him.

Long Shot
From back of CRT, facing him.

Me - "Lets go get something to eat"
Him - "Fine."
(beat)
"Where do you want to go?"
Me - "How about that coffee shop downtown? I heard it was pretty nice."

INT Car

Then him introducing his car. Which is really beaten up. You can see where I'm going.

I want a story, but don't know if I want fantasy elements. This may be an interesting endeavor. What do you guys think?

Edit: We're going to film tomorrow. Tomorrows his b-day, and he is willing to film before the party and stuff. If you guys are interested in my idea, I can post a separate thread. Assuming its not against any rules of the forum.

What happened to this?

QUOTE (Rickrolled @ Jan 10 2011, 04:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Love how the resident tough guy is happy to talk trash on an internet forum but back pedals as soon as he is called out. Typical coward. No doubt he'll respond to this with excessive bravado in order to restore his rightful place as a fully fledged internet badass.

I like to make werewolf...
MOVIES
bunny.jpg

Wolfenbarg

Wolfenbarg
  • Members
  • 44 posts
Probably the same thing that happens to most web series ideas, shelved.

Silver_Kyle

Silver_Kyle
  • Members
  • 293 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:silverkyle
My brother and I had made a show kind of like Pure Pwnage called Virtual Collision. It kind of goes in a different direction than Pure Pwnage does, but PP was still my main point of inspiration.

Episode 1

- Currently playing: StarCraft II (PC), Mario Kart 7 (3DS), Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
- Can't wait for: Twisted Metal (PS3), Halo 4 (360), Grand Theft Auto V (360), Diablo III (PC) and the PS Vita

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users