Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

8 Realms - Closed Beta

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Eduardo - JG

Eduardo - JG
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:I am a massive gamer but not in the traditional video game sense. While I do enjoy video games (playing since 4/5), I am a massive card gamer (MTG) and travel a lot throughout the globe.<br />Speak 3 languages to boot too.<br /><br />No tags here: this is a professional account (I work at Jagex as a fan communities liaison, yadayada...).<br /><br />-Eduardo
Hey,

Edit: The game is now live so if you want to try it out the beta key is "Flora" just use that when prompted on www.8realms.com. Let us kow how you enjoy the Beta, thanks for being an awesome community and best of luck winning the iPod touch!

My name is Eduardo and I work for an online computer games company called Jagex. As you can probably imagine, this is a post about shameless self-promotion for one of our new games. Our game is currently in closed Beta stages and we would love to get your communities' opinion on it. The game is called 8Realms.

What’s the game about? It’s a RTS that is designed to be playable anywhere on any device that has a browser! We would love for you guys to get involved, try it and give us feedback. What’s more the game is completely free at this stage. The game itself is a race through the ages, where you can build your own empire to rule over the land and cause the end of the world. That’s correct: YOU can destroy the world full of thousands of players and claim supremacy, plunging the world back into the beginning of time.

On the plus side, we are offering a free ipod touch every day to a random player playing the game from the 22nd of July to the 17th of August. That is, yes, 27 free ipods(!) getting handed out to players so you can play the game wherever you are. We have some other awesome prizes up for grabs during the game also so keep your eyes peeled for other big prizes!

The next round will start this Friday so I wanted to get in early and get any questions you had in before it comes up. Feel free to head over to the site and register for a beta key (which will come on Friday) but I will also be able to dish out a specific one for you guys on here on Friday also.

Also, Le link (I'm French, deal with it): www.8realms.com

Any questions just give me a shout, I will be checking back regularly and will also be mooching around the forums in general!

Thanks for reading and I hope you guys get involved!

-Eduardo

Edited by Eduardo - JG, 22 July 2011 - 02:47 PM.

Guest_ThE_MarD_*

Guest_ThE_MarD_*
  • Guests
Heyyo,

Just to let ya folks now he asked me before posting and I was ok with it. I'll give this game a try once I eventually get a key just to see what it's like. icon_wink.gif

cadetduke

cadetduke
  • GA Private
  • 5,898 posts
  • xfire:cadetduke
  • Steam ID:cadetduke
  • Xbox / GFWL:cadetduke
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:2069
  • Company:Foxtrot
Ugh, Jagex. No offense, but I'm passing on this.
Midwest Gaming - Work in progress.

Eduardo - JG

Eduardo - JG
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:I am a massive gamer but not in the traditional video game sense. While I do enjoy video games (playing since 4/5), I am a massive card gamer (MTG) and travel a lot throughout the globe.<br />Speak 3 languages to boot too.<br /><br />No tags here: this is a professional account (I work at Jagex as a fan communities liaison, yadayada...).<br /><br />-Eduardo
QUOTE (cadetduke @ Jul 19 2011, 06:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ugh, Jagex. No offense, but I'm passing on this.

Thanks MarD btw.

No problem cadet but I'm just curious as to why? If you've had an issue in the past with a game, do let me know.

-Eduardo

cadetduke

cadetduke
  • GA Private
  • 5,898 posts
QUOTE (Eduardo - JG @ Jul 19 2011, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No problem cadet but I'm just curious as to why? If you've had an issue in the past with a game, do let me know.

Actually, after reading the description I'll probably try it out. Last beta I played was AOE: Online and that was pretty fun. Just waiting for it to be released.

CakeCom

CakeCom
  • Members
  • 1,484 posts
I believe Jagex are the people who made Runescape.

If this is true, I may give this a shot.

As ironic as it sounds, I didnt think Runescape was terrible. It just got boring if you never paid for it... which I never did. But it was fun the first few levels.

Guest_ThE_MarD_*

Guest_ThE_MarD_*
  • Guests
Heyyo,

Yes Jagex are the folks who made RuneScape so long ago.. Heh, I remember still being a little n00b and during computer graphics design classes I used to play Runescape on one of the original iMacs, and back then? you couldn't see the ground cause 3D OpenGL Java for mac didn't exsist only 2D sprites worked, lol, I had to navigate via the mini-map and my character was essentially just standing on black... I slayed monsters on black, and it was impossible to tell if I was standing on a bridge or near a cliff and couldn't go further in that direction. icon_razz.gif

x_byakugan_x

x_byakugan_x

holy shit I have a title

• Global Moderators
  • 4,867 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:alphaferret415
  • PSN:alpha-ferret_415
  • Wii:Memorized?
  • Rofl-Rupees:None
QUOTE (ThE_MarD @ Jul 19 2011, 09:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Heyyo,

Yes Jagex are the folks who made RuneScape so long ago.. Heh, I remember still being a little n00b and during computer graphics design classes I used to play Runescape on one of the original iMacs, and back then? you couldn't see the ground cause 3D OpenGL Java for mac didn't exsist only 2D sprites worked, lol, I had to navigate via the mini-map and my character was essentially just standing on black... I slayed monsters on black, and it was impossible to tell if I was standing on a bridge or near a cliff and couldn't go further in that direction. icon_razz.gif

That sounds really terrible lol.

QUOTE (Rickrolled @ Jan 10 2011, 04:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Love how the resident tough guy is happy to talk trash on an internet forum but back pedals as soon as he is called out. Typical coward. No doubt he'll respond to this with excessive bravado in order to restore his rightful place as a fully fledged internet badass.

I like to make werewolf...
MOVIES
bunny.jpg

Eduardo - JG

Eduardo - JG
  • Members
  • 5 posts
QUOTE (x_byakugan_x @ Jul 20 2011, 09:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That sounds really terrible lol.

In fairness that was probably more to do with the hardware but even saying that the game has come on a massive way since then. There is a HD version and also lower specs if your PC has lower end specs.

We also have a massive update coming out next week, watch this video if you want to see where Runescape has come. icon_smile.gif

http://www.youtube.c...pe?blend=3&ob=5

Anyway back to 8Realms which is why I was here. Please do go sign up and check it out. Let me know what you think!

On a side note, it would be really great to be involved in the community in general, we have a number of other products planned to come out such as Stellar Dawn in production and Transformers universe. So it would be awesome to be able to give you guys the heads up first. icon_wink.gif MarD any idea if there is more we can do to support the gaming community with our products and up coming releases?

CakeCom

CakeCom
  • Members
  • 1,484 posts
QUOTE (Eduardo - JG @ Jul 20 2011, 09:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In fairness that was probably more to do with the hardware but even saying that the game has come on a massive way since then. There is a HD version and also lower specs if your PC has lower end specs.

We also have a massive update coming out next week, watch this video if you want to see where Runescape has come. icon_smile.gif

Anyway back to 8Realms which is why I was here. Please do go sign up and check it out. Let me know what you think!

On a side note, it would be really great to be involved in the community in general, we have a number of other products planned to come out such as Stellar Dawn in production and Transformers universe. So it would be awesome to be able to give you guys the heads up first. icon_wink.gif MarD any idea if there is more we can do to support the gaming community with our products and up coming releases?

Sorry one last thing about the runescape thing. I'd like you to pass on to the Runescape people- I went back to Runescape one day and made a new account (foolishly forgetting my old one but wanting to create a new character anyway) and I saw that you guys removed Tutorial Island. I was very disappointed. You guys should really make it so you can choose between which sets of tutorials you can do with a noobie character =(.

But yes, will definitely check out the new game you guys are working on ^^

*edit* actually to stay more on topic I'll ask this.

I have an iPod Touch 2g- will the old hardware still work with this newer game? I'd assume so, but not sure how exactly you guys are running this game.

**double-edit(woo)**
The game seriously looks like an AOE-esque game I've been waiting to come out for years now (since AOE2 + tribal wars). I'm now actually pretty excited to try this ;O

Edited by CakeCom, 20 July 2011 - 09:33 AM.

Guest_ThE_MarD_*

Guest_ThE_MarD_*
  • Guests
Heyyo,

QUOTE (Eduardo - JG @ Jul 20 2011, 07:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Heh yeah those old iMac's sucked, even at that time. It played Quake 3 Arena at like, 10F/S which my old Compaq could beat. icon_razz.gif

Hmm, off hand don't have much for ideas but you can try something like on Facebook asking Xfire to post about it on there or something. Like I said too, I'll work on getting the game as a supported web game for the Xfire XO Toolbar so that way other Xfire users can see when someone is playing it.

Eduardo - JG

Eduardo - JG
  • Members
  • 5 posts
Thanks MarD that would be amazing.

I have updated the initial thread with a live and exclusive Beta key for you all.

Best of luck and let me know what you think!

Cheers,

Edu

teh_HyDr0iD

teh_HyDr0iD
  • Members
  • 343 posts
  • xfire:vaughnlesterinoz
  • Steam ID:teh_HyDr0iD
I got my key in the mail earlier today, will probably try it out later tomorrow. Just way too tired after today to do it.

Intel Core i7 870 | Corsair H50 Watercooler | 16GB G.Skill DDR3 1600MHz
Asus P7P55D-E Pro | Galaxy GTX 460 768MB SLI | OCZ Vertex2 60GB SSD
2x 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD RAID-0 | Corsair HX850W PSU | Samsung Blu-Ray

Eduardo - JG

Eduardo - JG
  • Members
  • 5 posts
How's the game playing for you guys now that it's live? I've had to give feedback throughout the alpha so I'm quite curious to see how different the game is now that it's available in beta.

@Cake: Not sure on the 2g version but if there's a compatibility issue, I'm sure our devs will want to know about it so make sure to just try it out:).

-Edu

cadetduke

cadetduke
  • GA Private
  • 5,898 posts
The right side of the screen is cutoff on my iPhone 4. And it's been a pain in the ass to play the mobile version, so much a pain in the ass that I only log in when I'm at home on pc. It's playable on a tiny screen, but I hate it.

teh_HyDr0iD

teh_HyDr0iD
  • Members
  • 343 posts
  • xfire:vaughnlesterinoz
  • Steam ID:teh_HyDr0iD
I've been playing it for almost a week now. Its not really my kinda game per-se. Kinda like a Facebook game IMHO. I'll probably keep playing it for a while, but usually I'm the kinda person who likes to login and play something for an hour/2hours and then stop until I feel like another couple of hours, so having to keep coming back to do little bits of work isn't really my thing. But that's just personal opinion, nothing related to the quality of the game itself. Quality wise it seems good, I haven't had any bugs or anything else like that yet.

Intel Core i7 870 | Corsair H50 Watercooler | 16GB G.Skill DDR3 1600MHz
Asus P7P55D-E Pro | Galaxy GTX 460 768MB SLI | OCZ Vertex2 60GB SSD
2x 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD RAID-0 | Corsair HX850W PSU | Samsung Blu-Ray

LysIs514

LysIs514

Best RTS Contributor '09

• Members
  • 670 posts
I have a lot to say about this but I don't want to post irrelevant things so I am going to give this game one more day before saying anything

AltCtrl: if i was gonna play ra3 i might as well go play wizard 101 too

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users