Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Generals/ Zero Hour Unbalanced?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

oldSkool

oldSkool
  • Members
  • 259 posts
I've been re-watching Season 1, and came to the episode where Jeremy laments EA dropping support / updates for Zero Hour; his main reason was that "it's too unbalanced".

I tried to google to find out exactly HOW it's unbalanced, but couldn't really find anything - anybody got any idea what he/they were referring to?

I used to play the game quite regularly against friends, but I could never find anything too 'unbalanced' in it...
One day, when you're old enough - I'll tell you how I fought in the bit wars...

ThrashTitan

ThrashTitan
  • Members
  • 922 posts
  • Steam ID:Maximus_Metallicus
He mentions it. The game becomes Nuke China vs USA Air, because they are OP as all fuck.
QUOTE (spiri7ussancti @ Jun 13 2011, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would like to clarify that I am indeed trolling in this particular thread.

QUOTE (spiri7ussancti @ Jun 8 2011, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
FIRST OF ALL. ur stupid, me and my friends have a name for kids like you we meet in pub games. We call them "new age gamer"

_aciD_

_aciD_
  • Members
  • 3 posts
I guess you have to play ZH 1.06 to understand how unbalanced 1.04 is. Go ahead and read their patchnotes, that makes it pretty clear: http://www.gamerepla...howtopic=380765

Edited by _aciD_, 11 June 2011 - 07:56 AM.

DHC

DHC

e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0

• Retired Staff
  • 12,731 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:31
  • Company:Kilo
whoa when did they make a 1.6? I remember EA stopped at 1.2, then some fans made 1.3, and then 1.4 came out super quickly after that to fix some major exploits

_aciD_

_aciD_
  • Members
  • 3 posts
1.05e and 1.06 are community patches from cncreplays.com users, the aren't official sadly icon_sad.gif

nukec

nukec
  • Members
  • 398 posts
  • xfire:nukec
  • Interests:mah balz
  • Steam ID:roflmaogod
It is very very hard to make game balanced with so many offraces... Srsly.. Even in SC2 where you have 3 races, its pretty hard to balance things.

home_group_shot.jpg

TheBase

TheBase
  • Members
  • 1,342 posts
  • xfire:thewutangclan
QUOTE (nukec @ Jun 11 2011, 12:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is very very hard to make game balanced with so many offraces... Srsly.. Even in SC2 where you have 3 races, its pretty hard to balance things.

This is true. But EA could have at least TRIED to make things more balanced. Instead, the ZeroHour community was given the middle finger and a game with great potential died fairly quickly. A great tragedy if you ask me.

oldSkool

oldSkool
  • Members
  • 259 posts
QUOTE (_aciD_ @ Jun 11 2011, 11:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I guess you have to play ZH 1.06 to understand how unbalanced 1.04 is. Go ahead and read their patchnotes, that makes it pretty clear: http://www.gamerepla...howtopic=380765

Thanks for the link, _aciD_ was an interesting read.

I only ever patched it to 1.04: I can understand what they meant in the article. At the time, I just accepted how things went and didn't bother questioning it icon_razz.gif

QUOTE (TheBase @ Jun 13 2011, 03:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Instead, the ZeroHour community was given the middle finger and a game with great potential died fairly quickly. A great tragedy if you ask me.

A huge tragedy, imho.
Another example of corporate BS not realising the potential of an existing product.

ThrashTitan

ThrashTitan
  • Members
  • 922 posts
Id love a Generals/ZH sequel.

FIRST OF ALL. ur stupid, me and my friends have a name for kids like you we meet in pub games. We call them "new age gamer"

TheBase

TheBase
  • Members
  • 1,342 posts
  • xfire:thewutangclan
QUOTE (oldSkool @ Jun 12 2011, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A huge tragedy, imho.
Another example of corporate BS not realising the potential of an existing product.

Doesn't great = huge?

oldSkool

oldSkool
  • Members
  • 259 posts
QUOTE (TheBase @ Jun 13 2011, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Doesn't great = huge?

Depends on how you see the 'scale' of words icon_wink.gif

ThrashTitan

ThrashTitan
  • Members
  • 922 posts
Does not great = huge.

I am glad we had this discussion. Into the dictionary it goes.

Hellswarm

Hellswarm
  • Members
  • 2,554 posts
  • Interests:CSS
ZH didn't die because factions were imbalanced. People QMed and played on Clanwars pretty damn consistently for a long ass time on 1.04. Sure, Air and Tox were imba as fuck, but on 1.04 if both players picked random, with 12 factions being present, most of the time you would get a decent matchup, like Tank vs vGLA or something. I quit after 1.05 was launched, but I never played it because no one else played it. At that point in time 1.05 was just as imbalanced as 1.04, but like, Laser was the new Air or something.

EDIT: WHAT THE FUCK THEY TOOK OUT CAR BOMBS? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? YOUR FUCKING FAULT FOR SELLING YOUR CC, L2 MAP AWARENESS AND TURN YOUR DOZERS AWAY TO NEUTRALIZE THEM. IF YOUR OPPONENT HAS A FORWARD RAX BUILD IT MEANS THEIR SUPPLIES AREN"T BOXED AS WELL AS THEY CAN BE, ARGHHHH

EDIT: I don't know. It's not like I'm ever going to play this game again, but I don't know if I would like these changes. I just skimmed over the changes again. In the opening paragraphs they go on about how GLA and USA factions were overpowered .. and then how Chinas were underpowered. So which one is it? It seems like the concern is less towards fixing the balance than making more options viable and changing each faction's playstyle. If you've ever seen a long and drawn out vChina mirror, it feels like that's what they're aiming for the game to become. I'll agree with some things, like strengthening the late economy of the Chinas, but decreasing the camping ability of the GLA? That's like decreasing the expo ability of the Zerg .. it's like the whole point of the faction. I can't envision what might've happened to USAs vs Chinas matchups; I always thought that in those matchups China needed to do alot more thinking but if they did they had the upper hand eg. Dragon Tanks in the middle of the game out of nowhere, sneaking Gatts behind supplies, etc. Now they're making Gatts cheaper and rockvees less useful <.<

Edited by Hellswarm, 25 December 2011 - 04:59 AM.

Blutgier

Blutgier
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Steam ID:Crunchbite
  • Xbox / GFWL:Mister Elbow
So I just picked up CnC: The First Decade and I was entering in all the codes including one for Generals and Zero Hour and I saw something that could only something out of a dream:The code beings with 5PWN.

Edited by Blutgier, 24 January 2012 - 04:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users