Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New Type Of Racing Game?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:way2lazy2care
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
prototype a 2D demo in flash. It should only take you a couple weeks to get the gameplay functioning even if you don't get scores functioning.

If you can't make it fun that way it probably isn't worth your time to pursue in other forms.
SPAMBOTSTOOKOVERMYSITE D:
Give me LoL Referals.

QUOTE (Virus52 @ Mar 3 2008, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ALL HAIL THE GREAT AND MIGHTY MOTH!

QUOTE (SN3S @ May 6 2008, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No sensuality; this is all for fitness.

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
  • PSN:The_Con-Sept
QUOTE (way2lazy2care @ Oct 14 2011, 02:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
prototype a 2D demo in flash. It should only take you a couple weeks to get the gameplay functioning even if you don't get scores functioning.

If you can't make it fun that way it probably isn't worth your time to pursue in other forms.

I was trying to consider the mathematics behind it. The Magnet tracer idea was just place holder. I wanted it so that... well... fuck... you would be able to fly off the track, but pull yourself back in. Of course people would just loop around the entire track without ever making contact so I thought about including a barrier so that.... like a magnet... the further you get from the track the more you lose traction. Therefor you lose because you can not complete the race... Or just blow up and respawn. A simple line of code could prevent that but also creating a sort of race style to it. But keeping you on the damn track instead of flying all of the time was a problem I saw in it. I never recreated some of the level ideas in MS Paint. I have 40 sketches total ranging from bike designs to hud overlays.

However with the magnet tracer... there would have to be a sense of limitation. At first you could just write it in code to stay in front of the player at all times... But essentially you could do infinite speeds if that were to happen. We did consider engines because that would be your main thrust with the magnets acting as a backup to bring you back down. But they all agreed that creating a new science behind thrust would be awesome. Another idea I had was to create a sort of wave that circled the track in four different areas.. That way in order to get ahead you'd have to progress through each wave. You could easily lose your spot if you miss one wave... You could end up going backwards.

Then the idea of spiderman came into play. What if it had magnetic contact points that you would have to connect to in order to advance? (Think Zelda's grappling hook.) The idea was very hard to work around but a tracer seemed to be the easiest way to understand where you were going to head to next. But then even with the damn tracer we all did agree that it could glitch itself out.... such as a sharp convex corner, the tracer would be directly below you and you could not progress any further because... well yeah... Opposite effect with a concave corner you could kill yourself for landing on the top instead of the wheels.

I wanted it to be simple: press 1 button to connect one wheel and one other button to connect the other wheel. press both to sort of stabilize, or pull you down faster for a stomp maneuver.

I was stuck on the debacle of thrust for weeks until I played an old racer and found an answer... I found it in the Nitrous bar on a racing game. Increase the speed of the tracer and have it set to a timer refill to repeat again every few seconds. That would be its main point of perpetual motion. Having a second tracer marking its position in the race following the bike in its position in relation to the track would push the main tracer if need be to continue giving thrust instead of stopping in one place. Adding in a third button to press to stop the damn tracer to help you land in a sticky situation and a fourth to reverse the tracer.

Eventually it just stuck to my mind. But coding something like this would take a while. Multiplying it by at least 6 racers total and having 3 different lanes to go about to pass the other racers was another obstacle. We even considered keeping it just one layer and starting you in the back of only 3 other racers. That way you'd have to pass them by jumping over them. But one of the others saw an immediate flaw to that.... the guy in first could just stick to the track the whole race and the others would never win....

I can talk about my idea all day but I have no time now to even begin creating this game. I am far too busy driving people from point A to point B. And I actually enjoy this job a lot. Even though I still create music every now and then... fuck....

This Economy just stinks too much. If only I had enough money to just live for a year without a wary over a bill...

Creativity seems to be completely hindered by this monetary system.

Edited by The_Con-Sept, 15 October 2011 - 07:41 AM.

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
QUOTE (The_Con-Sept @ Oct 15 2011, 07:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can talk about my idea all day but I have no time now to even begin creating this game. I am far too busy driving people from point A to point B. And I actually enjoy this job a lot. Even though I still create music every now and then... fuck....

This Economy just stinks too much. If only I had enough money to just live for a year without a wary over a bill...

Creativity seems to be completely hindered by this monetary system.

Your creativity is being hindered by your excuses, not by the monetary system. I work a full time job usually with overtime and I have time to make side projects if I wanted to.

All it takes is for you to put feet to ground. Don't waste time wondering what the fastest way to get there is and just start making a prototype. It shouldn't take you more than a week or two even with a full time job to at least implement one of your major gameplay features. It usually doesn't take me more than a couple hours to get a functional mini-prototype of stuff I want to try. A couple days to get a prototype with all the main features combined.
Give me LoL Referals.

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
QUOTE (way2lazy2care @ Oct 17 2011, 10:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your creativity is being hindered by your excuses, not by the monetary system. I work a full time job usually with overtime and I have time to make side projects if I wanted to.

All it takes is for you to put feet to ground. Don't waste time wondering what the fastest way to get there is and just start making a prototype. It shouldn't take you more than a week or two even with a full time job to at least implement one of your major gameplay features. It usually doesn't take me more than a couple hours to get a functional mini-prototype of stuff I want to try. A couple days to get a prototype with all the main features combined.

For one I love my job. Can't get enough of it. Second there is more to it than meets the eye. I also do deliveries for flowers in my cab. Third of all it feels like a video game to me. I never know where I am going to be next. And sometimes.... its not all about how fast I get you there.

But the problem is I don't know flash. How do I create a game with the mathematics behind a magnet, and it being a racer, and put it all into a flash demonstration? All the tutorials online lead you on until the big piece of the pie is the one you have to pay to see. Its like a strip joint.

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
QUOTE (The_Con-Sept @ Oct 18 2011, 08:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For one I love my job. Can't get enough of it. Second there is more to it than meets the eye. I also do deliveries for flowers in my cab. Third of all it feels like a video game to me. I never know where I am going to be next. And sometimes.... its not all about how fast I get you there.

But the problem is I don't know flash. How do I create a game with the mathematics behind a magnet, and it being a racer, and put it all into a flash demonstration? All the tutorials online lead you on until the big piece of the pie is the one you have to pay to see. Its like a strip joint.

You don't use one website. You look up a hello world tutorial. Then look up a tutorial on how to take input. Then look up a tutorial on how to draw geometry. Then look up a tutorial on how to make stuff move. Then look up a tutorial on how to do light physics like gravity and screen collision. Then look up tutorials on how to do game state management. Then look up a tutorial on how to do more complex physics. Etc.

Ask around on forums, use the google machine, the internet is your friend.

You can start here https://github.com/A...-(FlashDevelop)
Give me LoL Referals.

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
I still have no time for my game any more.... I have even lost my ability to be creative in music.... I have even lost interest in playing online games... I am slowly turning into my father......

j type

j type
  • Members
  • 2,690 posts
  • Steam ID:jtype
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
You could try to see if you could download any courses on Flash. Sites like Lynda.com have some pretty well put together ones. I'm just going through one on the fundamentals of programming right now, focusing mainly on Javascript for examples. It doesn't take all that long to pick up the basics and it helps to have, like you do, a clear plan of what you want to achieve with the things you're trying to learn.

edit - Lol. I didn't notice your last post there. I was replying to the preceding posts.

Edited by j type, 07 December 2011 - 08:48 AM.

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
QUOTE (j type @ Dec 7 2011, 06:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You could try to see if you could download any courses on Flash. Sites like Lynda.com have some pretty well put together ones. I'm just going through one on the fundamentals of programming right now, focusing mainly on Javascript for examples. It doesn't take all that long to pick up the basics and it helps to have, like you do, a clear plan of what you want to achieve with the things you're trying to learn.

edit - Lol. I didn't notice your last post there. I was replying to the preceding posts.

I just don't have enough time. I can talk about it all day but I will never go anywhere with it.... I think I should be the creative director for a video game more or so than a developer. I can also write a story but I have such a de-motivational attitude right now, when it comes to creating games, that I lose myself right in the middle of it all. I guess I will just remain wishful in seeing a game like this just appear out of no where...

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
Apparently they are still trying to create a MMO... and they totally screwed up my idea behind Magnet Racers... It is just too embarrassing to even post the link because... It is NO WHERE CLOSE to what I depicted...

Harry Den

Harry Den
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • xfire:harry
  • Steam ID:1234567890
  • Xbox / GFWL:harry
  • PSN:harry
  • Wii:1234567890
Turbo Racing is one of the best racing forever because the sound quality & graphic quality is too cool & good.. I'm playing this game on daily basis on i2dplay.com/racing/turbo_racing/86 Must play guys because it's cool & entertaining...

Play free games ninja without any interruption or any charges..

Nevermore

Nevermore
  • GA Private
  • 1,658 posts
  • Interests:Internets! Games! Music! Photography!
  • Gamer Army ID:1083
ahaha .. i hope thats not the game ^^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users