Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New Type Of Racing Game?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
  • PSN:The_Con-Sept
So I was hit up with creating a generic engine sound:

http://www.newground...o/listen/414993

Add in a bit of tuning to the bass at certain points and I've got the perfect engine sound. Instead of the old man fart type of noise in this demo.

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:way2lazy2care
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
QUOTE (The_Con-Sept @ Apr 21 2011, 12:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have been designated as the sound guy. The coding is out of my hands now. Nothing I can do about it.

Nothing I said was specific to coding.

This is the first time I am going to have to use these words: Shut up about it already.
Again DROP THE DISCUSSION.

you could always try to read and comprehend what I said instead. If you aren't willing to do that, why should I be willing to stop?
SPAMBOTSTOOKOVERMYSITE D:
Give me LoL Referals.

QUOTE (Virus52 @ Mar 3 2008, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ALL HAIL THE GREAT AND MIGHTY MOTH!

QUOTE (SN3S @ May 6 2008, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No sensuality; this is all for fitness.

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
QUOTE (way2lazy2care @ Apr 22 2011, 07:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you could always try to read and comprehend what I said instead. If you aren't willing to do that, why should I be willing to stop?

Sorry but I am going to ignore this since coding is not what I have been assigned to do. icon_razz.gif Still though. It is not something I wanted to do at that convention.

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
QUOTE (way2lazy2care @ Apr 22 2011, 09:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you could always try to read and comprehend what I said instead.

QUOTE (The_Con-Sept @ Apr 23 2011, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry but I am going to ignore this since coding is not what I have been assigned to do. icon_razz.gif Still though. It is not something I wanted to do at that convention.

Being willfully stupid is another trait that will not get you far in life or this industry.
Give me LoL Referals.

Nevermore

Nevermore
  • GA Private
  • 1,658 posts
  • Interests:Internets! Games! Music! Photography!
  • Gamer Army ID:1083
QUOTE (way2lazy2care @ Apr 21 2011, 01:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is still not relevant to the problems I am telling you with your attitude.

Mega irony.

QUOTE (way2lazy2care @ Apr 25 2011, 05:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Being willfully stupid is another trait that will not get you far in life or this industry.

What have you done that makes you so much better than the OP?

You don't really know much about the guys situation but you seem to have it all figured out.. You've given little advice, mostly just called OP stupid and run the argument around in circles

You mentioned that making games is your job, who do you work for or what have you worked on?

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
QUOTE (way2lazy2care @ Apr 24 2011, 01:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am not being will fully stupid W2L. I work under the Department of Homeland Security. I have enough on my plate as it is. The convention was for 3 days. It started before I got there and was to last the next few days. And like I said I would rather have a developer community that is set to solely creating a video game. Instead of wasting my time learning how to make something I can easily create on my own isn't something I wanted to do. Going by the books that I have bought on how to create fantastic 3D models, adding in a skeleton, and animating these objects is something I am learning right now. But meanwhile I have been assigned to create 16 different engine sounds, boost sounds for each, an electric sound for a connection, wheels rolling, creating background music, creating sounds for the option menus, and finally creating collision sounds. That is a lot for a sound guy to create FROM SCRATCH mind you. I do not like using sites like freesound or findsounds or nothing like that. I am also trying to recreate the sound in a realistic way through emulation. Do you know how hard it is to be a sound guy W2L? I can create any style of music in just a few hours. You can see my collective body of work on projects I was working on for my own game here:

http://guilmonx.newgrounds.com/audio/

Southern Deixo, Northern Deixo, Meins, Southern Cantha, Fled Canyon, Fort Sumnit, Just Fucking Run.

My idea was to create music that wasn't just a preset background noise and instead taking the idea LittleBigPlanet introduced and creating something new. Remember Elektro Plankton on the Nintendo DS? Think of that with better sounds and instead is taking every action you do and adding a new sound to it. Imagine a BGM in an RPG where even the battle music changes when you have a status aliment. You get poisoned so the music starts to warp. You can't see so the bassline overpowers everything. You are enraged so the music starts getting more rugged. You are on a hot streak so it starts swingin and such. At first I wanted to create out of battle and in battle music. Once I got those down like with the new version of Southern Deixo I could go in and add more to the backdrop with what I said above. Ever Changing Back Ground Music. ECBGM. Instead of what LBP did in fading out/in certain tracks I would create a musical masterpiece within a game that seems so complicated, yet when it all comes together it sounds awesome. Everyone plays a game differently... why does the music have to be so.... static?

All the while I had an idea for a video game that was an RPG fighter style game. Think Street Fighter meets Fallout. While I had this idea in my head along came Dungeon Fighter Online that totally shattered my idea to pieces. I love the game. I just hate the limits of it.

QUOTE (Nevermore @ Apr 24 2011, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You've given little advice, mostly just called OP stupid and run the argument around in circles

Do not provoke him. He already has enough on his plate with all of the Non Disclosure Agreements he is under. If he says he works for one then he does. Do you see me nit picking on him? Just let him be. Me and W2L have a long history on this forum already. 3 years now I have been talking with him in various subjects.

Nevermore

Nevermore
  • GA Private
  • 1,658 posts
QUOTE (The_Con-Sept @ Apr 25 2011, 10:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do not provoke him. He already has enough on his plate with all of the Non Disclosure Agreements he is under. If he says he works for one then he does. Do you see me nit picking on him? Just let him be. Me and W2L have a long history on this forum already. 3 years now I have been talking with him in various subjects.

I wasn't meaning to provoke, was legit curiosity.. didn't catch the NDA part but I guess that makes sense.

On the Music topic, but more sound based, LFS has some pretty nifty tools in-game to tweak the entire range of effects for each car.

I think it's pretty rad that the sounds actually originate from where the element they are mimicking is located in the vehicle, makes for decent sound realism when you're in the car / out of the car and have a decent set of headphones or surround setup.

It does have its limits.. but any racing game that lets me do that is A+ in my books icon_biggrin.gif

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
QUOTE (The_Con-Sept @ Apr 24 2011, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
cut for length.

My point is only that you should not make the grave mistake of thinking that because someone is not working in video games that you have nothing to learn from them. Joel Spolsky is a great example. He doesn't do anything related to games, but he has some incredible insights into interface design considerations. There's actually huge strides being made in the medical imaging industry towards voxel rendering, which could become incredibly relevant to video games in the next couple years.

If he says he works for one then he does. Do you see me nit picking on him? Just let him be. Me and W2L have a long history on this forum already. 3 years now I have been talking with him in various subjects.

The NDA I'm under isn't that strict. I work at HB studios in nova scotia. Though i do appreciate your confidence despite my lack of information thus far.
Give me LoL Referals.

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
QUOTE (Nevermore @ Apr 24 2011, 06:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On the Music topic, but more sound based, LFS has some pretty nifty tools in-game to tweak the entire range of effects for each car.

See those sound effect names do not make any sense to me because I am used to Equalizer, Phazer, Bandwidth Filter, Reverb, Oscillator, Glass, ModWheel, and other various things found in FL Studio. I can take the scratch of a chalk board... that high pitch screech, and turn it into a violin. Like what I did with that unique engine sound found above was created with nothing more than an Oscillator. Changing its speed up and down with a phaser effect added to it.

It is pretty cool how you can change the sound effects to what ever you want though.

QUOTE (way2lazy2care @ Apr 24 2011, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My point is only that you should not make the grave mistake of thinking that because someone is not working in video games that you have nothing to learn from them. Joel Spolsky is a great example. He doesn't do anything related to games, but he has some incredible insights into interface design considerations. There's actually huge strides being made in the medical imaging industry towards voxel rendering, which could become incredibly relevant to video games in the next couple years.

So a fancy menu is the entire game? Going through various menus? Thats no fun. icon_razz.gif

But no like I said I can create a shopping mall online easily in html alone. Although now everyone seems to be using PHP Nuke. (Which is basically a simplified version of MySQL.)

QUOTE (way2lazy2care @ Apr 24 2011, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The NDA I'm under isn't that strict. I work at HB studios in nova scotia. Though i do appreciate your confidence despite my lack of information thus far.

Well that is awesome. Any titles that have been released that you were a part of? I probably played it.

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
QUOTE (The_Con-Sept @ Apr 25 2011, 06:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So a fancy menu is the entire game? Going through various menus? Thats no fun. icon_razz.gif

It's not so much that you shouldn't make menus because menus suck. It's that you need to make menus, so you should make them not suck. There have been tons of games that got mediocre reviews because their menus were ass. You would be surprised how many things that seem logical take a menu from ass to not even being realized by the player. Good interface design is a thankless but important skill set.

Well that is awesome. Any titles that have been released that you were a part of? I probably played it.

I only got my job last year, so no...
Give me LoL Referals.

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
QUOTE (way2lazy2care @ Apr 25 2011, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's not so much that you shouldn't make menus because menus suck. It's that you need to make menus, so you should make them not suck. There have been tons of games that got mediocre reviews because their menus were ass. You would be surprised how many things that seem logical take a menu from ass to not even being realized by the player. Good interface design is a thankless but important skill set.

Most of those games are RPG's. Ever went through the menu system of .hack// before? I got used to it pretty quick but I didn't find it annoying.

But no the game we are trying to make is rather simple. We are not trying to create something like wow or even Need For Speed. Our game is going to be a simple racer to begin with. My simple idea is catching on with a lot of the new people who joined just recently. Some even threw out some new ideas that I myself didn't even think about. Like should it have a rider? As in like the motorcycles we see today. I said no but they added that it would be hilarious to see the rider flailing out of his bike when it gets destroyed.

Then there was the office building... Crash through it with business people flying out of the building after you run through it. Just little things. One that I liked was the big huge ass brick wall. No other purpose... it is just there with the label of it...

QUOTE (way2lazy2care @ Apr 25 2011, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I only got my job last year, so no...

Let me know what you have done once it is released.

astinbills

astinbills
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • xfire:astinbills
  • Interests:Watching movies and Taming wild animals
Bot suspended - Byakugan

Edited by x_byakugan_x, 27 September 2011 - 11:09 PM.

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
The game hasn't gone anywhere because the head of this group is set on building an MMORPG. I keep telling him that no one is going to kill blizzard.... So sadly I haven't been able to do squat but I still have a bunch of sketches just lying around...

Guest_Rakielis_*

Guest_Rakielis_*
  • Guests
sorry to say, but im not surprised at all.

x_byakugan_x

x_byakugan_x

holy shit I have a title

• Global Moderators
  • 4,867 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:alphaferret415
  • PSN:alpha-ferret_415
  • Wii:Memorized?
  • Rofl-Rupees:None
post sketches

QUOTE (Rickrolled @ Jan 10 2011, 04:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Love how the resident tough guy is happy to talk trash on an internet forum but back pedals as soon as he is called out. Typical coward. No doubt he'll respond to this with excessive bravado in order to restore his rightful place as a fully fledged internet badass.

I like to make werewolf...
MOVIES
bunny.jpg

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
Well the project was named Magnet Racers.

I was going to use Motorcycles instead of cars for this game. It has a mass appeal. Where is a motorcycle racing game now a days?

But the thing that made this different was the use of magnets... hence the project name Magnet Racers.

The way thrust worked in this game was by a button press. Instead of gas engines, or engines all together, it used magnets. So then the idea became "how can I make this game fun to race?" Well that was a sinch... I basically took a rubber band and twisted it a few times.... Then I called it a track. It did not have to have left and right turns but instead up and down hills... Of course since the road is essentially a magnet... why not be able to race upside down?

I put a lot of effort into these crappy MS Paint images.... Just to get my idea across.

You can just imagine what happened in this pic when your magnet wheels activate at the same time as the opponents. But then the art direction caught my attention for a split second... I first thought about making it a cut away planet for each track but then I thought it would look more interesting if we were looking straight down on the track, but the background was the floor of a city. For instance take a snapshot of anywhere in google earth and make that the background... But add in some ambient um... track obstacles... like in New York City you could jump through a building window and come out the other side with a bunch of papers flying everywhere.

But then the attention went to the bikes themselves.... What cool art would there be to motorcycles? Well that is where I got creative.

This is Toro:

This is Rey:

This is Chicken Hawk:

This is Capi:

But the problem was not whether or not we could code this game... It was a matter of "We need to look into making A FUCLkvorshgbfiuqabcrfo;wionwrfg MMO............."

Seriously that is his only dream.... why? because he see's WoW's monthly service fee as a ticket to free living... but he doesn't know just how much work is behind an MMO. So I basically gave up on the weekly meetings after a month since the focus was nothing but MMO MMO MMO MMO...... I got tired of following this guy to a dead end with three different rendering engines on my PC laying dormant now.

So the project is not even close to production. So now that it is on here for everyone to see what do you think of the idea? Yay or NAY?

smitheamanda

smitheamanda
  • Members
  • 1 posts
Bot suspended. -Byak

Edited by x_byakugan_x, 12 October 2011 - 08:03 PM.

x_byakugan_x

x_byakugan_x

holy shit I have a title

• Global Moderators
  • 4,867 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:alphaferret415
  • PSN:alpha-ferret_415
  • Wii:Memorized?
  • Rofl-Rupees:None
lol@chicken hawk. Reminds me of that chicken hawk that would kick foghorn leg horns ass.............................. anyway..
Seems interesting enough. I finally get to see your "top secret" sketches and ideas. Hopefully gets picked up again.

QUOTE (Rickrolled @ Jan 10 2011, 04:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Love how the resident tough guy is happy to talk trash on an internet forum but back pedals as soon as he is called out. Typical coward. No doubt he'll respond to this with excessive bravado in order to restore his rightful place as a fully fledged internet badass.

I like to make werewolf...
MOVIES
bunny.jpg

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
The idea smacked me in the face when I remembered playing a game called uniracers. Basically they were unicycles that had no humans on them. They could do flips and spins in mid air. There are a few speed runs found on YouTube of this game. But how cool would it be if you could have motor bikes do the same thing. No weapons whatsoever.

Nevermore

Nevermore
  • GA Private
  • 1,658 posts
epic linerider++

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users