Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New Type Of Racing Game?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

Nevermore

Nevermore
  • GA Private
  • 1,658 posts
  • Interests:Internets! Games! Music! Photography!
  • Gamer Army ID:1083
QUOTE (CakeCom @ Apr 8 2011, 05:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To be honest, not a HUGE fan of racing games- I like Twisted Metal and Super Mario Bros 64 just because you can shoot shit at each other while driving.

Maybe someone should make a racing game like GTAIV, where you have someone shooting and another person driving (drive-bys basically)

There was a really good tank commander style game that came out recently, but that isn't exactly racing ..

I like the idea of arms out the window while a team mate drives icon_biggrin.gif

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
  • PSN:The_Con-Sept
QUOTE (CakeCom @ Apr 7 2011, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To be honest, not a HUGE fan of racing games- I like Twisted Metal and Super Mario Bros 64 just because you can shoot shit at each other while driving.

Maybe someone should make a racing game like GTAIV, where you have someone shooting and another person driving (drive-bys basically)

Oh it will be competitive... trust me. But in a different sense. With the simplicity of the physics being replaced with more than just a simple button press... yeah... I threw this idea to a few people at my job already and at first they were like "Another bike racing game?" But after I told them what it was all about... they told me that I should keep it to myself and be careful who I talked to about it. The approach is rather simple too. We've got models in the works already like I've said but as far as the track goes. I had no idea that the others didn't hear of it sooner. All we need now is a few SDK's to import this to and we've got ourselves a game...

Look out for it on Android. Whether or not it is a huge hit depends on how well received this game is. It won't be out for a while so don't expect it for the next few months.

Edited by The_Con-Sept, 07 April 2011 - 08:52 PM.

Nevermore

Nevermore
  • GA Private
  • 1,658 posts
blehhhh i dont want to play it on my mobile

If BFHeroes can do it in a browser, who else can do it in a browser?

That's where the real potential is icon_wink.gif

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
Our aim is to get it on a platform that is the most popular, yet cost efficient. So Iphone is immediately OUT of the picture. Sorry apple fans. We decided on Android for three reasons: 1. the SDK is only 25 dollars. 2. The test unit is considerably less than an iPhone and we can all buy one. 3. It accepts several different types of scripting languages, and can be done on MAC or PC.

Plus we might make a fully 3D (As in without 3D glasses and not in 2D.) game out of it.

But this seems to be our ticket in getting noticed by two companies: Sony and Nintendo.

The only problem we have is with coding. But it may or may not be solved by tomorrow.

Nevermore

Nevermore
  • GA Private
  • 1,658 posts
Ooooookay so you want to make a game that's gonna be crazy and off the wall .. for an android phone?

Have fun with that.

I'll let you know when I start wasting time playing games on my Phone instead of my DS, battery life is bad enough as it is, but running a 3d as hell game? yeah, no.

I hope you get noticed and I hope it makes it to DS, gl;hf icon_smile.gif

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:way2lazy2care
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
QUOTE (The_Con-Sept @ Apr 7 2011, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh it will be competitive... trust me. But in a different sense. With the simplicity of the physics being replaced with more than just a simple button press... yeah... I threw this idea to a few people at my job already and at first they were like "Another bike racing game?" But after I told them what it was all about... they told me that I should keep it to myself and be careful who I talked to about it. The approach is rather simple too. We've got models in the works already like I've said but as far as the track goes. I had no idea that the others didn't hear of it sooner. All we need now is a few SDK's to import this to and we've got ourselves a game...

Look out for it on Android. Whether or not it is a huge hit depends on how well received this game is. It won't be out for a while so don't expect it for the next few months.

See: Why nobody will buy your idea for a game. and stuff indie developers should never do

Keeping an idea secret is silly. How are you supposed to know if your idea is worth your time? Do you think game developers all with their own ideas for games really want to spend time developing your idea? They don't.

To elaborate on an example on the sloperama site, do you think anybody thought, "WHOA GREAT IDEA I'M STEALING THAT!" when Dan Brown told them he had a great idea for a mystery about the catholic church? Of course not. Is the song of ice and fire series good because it is high fantasy for adults? No. It's a good series because the execution was good, and the same applies to games.

You are doing yourself and your game a great disservice keeping your games a secret as an indie developer.
SPAMBOTSTOOKOVERMYSITE D:
Give me LoL Referals.

QUOTE (Virus52 @ Mar 3 2008, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ALL HAIL THE GREAT AND MIGHTY MOTH!

QUOTE (SN3S @ May 6 2008, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No sensuality; this is all for fitness.

ThrashTitan

ThrashTitan
  • Members
  • 922 posts
  • Steam ID:Maximus_Metallicus
QUOTE (way2lazy2care @ Apr 10 2011, 05:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You are doing yourself and your game a great disservice keeping your games a secret as an indie developer.

Damn straight. Word of mouth moves shit fast.
QUOTE (spiri7ussancti @ Jun 13 2011, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would like to clarify that I am indeed trolling in this particular thread.

QUOTE (spiri7ussancti @ Jun 8 2011, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
FIRST OF ALL. ur stupid, me and my friends have a name for kids like you we meet in pub games. We call them "new age gamer"

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
QUOTE (Nevermore @ Apr 8 2011, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ooooookay so you want to make a game that's gonna be crazy and off the wall .. for an android phone?

Have fun with that.

I'll let you know when I start wasting time playing games on my Phone instead of my DS, battery life is bad enough as it is, but running a 3d as hell game? yeah, no.

I hope you get noticed and I hope it makes it to DS, gl;hf icon_smile.gif

That is the aim for us. To get it on portables. The problem is that Sony needs to see a collaborative body of work. For example this is the e-mail they sent me when I inquired about the NGP SDK:

Hello Mr Sisneros,

Thank you for writing us requesting information about getting a Software Development Kit for the new Sony NGP. I will be happy to answer your question. The following information is for serious inquiries only, and will only be accepted from established game developers (individuals or companies) with background and/or experience in programming and game design. All other generic 'game ideas' or 'game suggestions' cannot be accepted. Please accept our apologies in advance for any inconvenience. Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) values your enthusiasm and input, however, due to legal reasons, we simply cannot accept any unsolicited game ideas. If, however, you meet these prerequisites (of working as an established developer) and need additional information, you may direct your question(s) to the following:

For detailed information on how to become a Licensed Tools Developer, please write to: the_future@playstation.sony.com

You can also send the following company information to SCEA:

Company History
Product History
- List of products released on any platform (samples may be included)
- Individual contribution to projects or released products

Executive Biographies
Publisher Relationships (if any)
Contact Information
- Name, title, address, phone, email, website URL, etc.

Indicate if you plan to develop for the PlayStation® (PS one™) game console, the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, the PSP™ portable entertainment system, and/or the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system.

Please do NOT send game designs at this time or requests for information.

Looking back at it... Why would they include PS1?

QUOTE (way2lazy2care @ Apr 9 2011, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
See: Why nobody will buy your idea for a game. and stuff indie developers should never do

Keeping an idea secret is silly. How are you supposed to know if your idea is worth your time? Do you think game developers all with their own ideas for games really want to spend time developing your idea? They don't.

I have seen ego trips with several people we have brought to our meetings. Everyone has their own idea. One person of which thought making a 3D shopping world would be a great seller. To me, and the others... we didn't want to make a virtual shopping world. We wanted to make a game. (Besides PlayStation Home is already doing that which I find sort of ridiculous in a way. Sure I myself bought some shit but honestly it was a waste. I bought it because I had 49 cents left in my PS Wallet.)

To be honest these people were having trouble deciding on a game. One wanted to make an MMO like WoW. One wanted to make a ninja game. Another wanted to make a GTA game. But when it came right down to it I had to use your reasoning you told me a while back. Start on something simple. If you can't make a fun 2D game then you can't make a great 3D game. Some of them really want to make a game. Even I wanted my fighter RPG to be considered. But I guess it is too ambitious. Especially when I myself am just getting into making a game.

Don, who is pretty much the wring leader, kept talking about going to this company, who have a lot of console developers on their list of companies that use this "service," to get us in with it. We took the time to look into it but, we believe we can do it on our own for the fact that we aren't fully backed with a professional profile yet. All of the people on the list were established companies such as Activision, Atari, Sega, EA, Epic Games. We are nobodies.

And it is also hard to say no one is interested in the idea that I threw at them. Especially when I received this in my e-mail just 5 hours after I talked with the other 3. This came from Alex, Whom I haven't even met yet:

This was before I had the anatomy of the Wheel finished.

QUOTE (way2lazy2care @ Apr 9 2011, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To elaborate on an example on the sloperama site, do you think anybody thought, "WHOA GREAT IDEA I'M STEALING THAT!" when Dan Brown told them he had a great idea for a mystery about the catholic church? Of course not. Is the song of ice and fire series good because it is high fantasy for adults? No. It's a good series because the execution was good, and the same applies to games.

I am not doing this by myself. And... as a matter of fact we are showing the idea to a group of people who do coding for video games today. I won't be a part of the meeting but I don't like freely showing everyone what game we are making. You can call it silly for me keeping it a secret but I will go with my instincts on this one. It is known between the group and I, and anyone who we decide to pitch the idea to. And even though it is in our group I am not too worried about them showing it to others, nor did I tell them to keep it a secret.

What I have is a series of pictures drawn in MS paint of what the game is going to be like and how it is played. I even started creating concept bikes for the game for Alex to create. Now what I am working on is the art style of the game. How the bikes would look when racing. The interactive ambient backgrounds that we would try to create. I thought of it on the most simplistic level. How could we create a very simple, yet fun game? When I thought of this I began to look at Super Mario Bros back on the NES. Simple button presses, collision detection, and simple physics.

On a side note: The one thing that really killed me when I met with everyone the second time was just how much they didn't know about the gaming industry. For example: One person thought Kinect was BRAND new technology. And talked about buying into a Kinect SDK... When I mentioned the PlayStation Eye Toy... no one even knew about it. I had to explain it to them. The Z Cam [Kinect] has been in this world for ten years. Maybe not created ten years ago, but the project started ten years ago. It was even brought to Sony, thus created the Eye toy, but now it is on Microsoft's console. I even asked them "Where did Halo start?" "It has always been on XBOX" was the only response I got. Correct me if I am wrong but Didn't Halo start out on MAC? Then it moved to PS2/XBOX. Then it became XBOX only?

I distinctively remember a working demo on PS2 being shown in a video back a long long time ago. Like 2001 or so.

Edited by The_Con-Sept, 09 April 2011 - 07:47 PM.

Nevermore

Nevermore
  • GA Private
  • 1,658 posts
Halo: It was developed originally for Mac I believe, then it moved to PC / XBOX ?

From Wikipedia:

Focusing on the Macintosh game market because it was smaller and easier to compete, Bungie became the biggest Mac developer with games including the shooters Pathways Into Darkness and Marathon. What became Halo was originally code-named Monkey Nuts and Blam!,[53] and took place on a hollowed-out world called Solipsis.[54] The planet eventually became a ringworld, and an artist suggested the name "Halo", which became the game's title.[55]
The first Halo game was announced on July 21, 1999, during the Macworld Conference & Expo.[12] It was originally planned to be a real-time strategy game for the Mac and Windows operating systems, but later changed into a third-person action game.[12][56][57] On June 19, 2000, Microsoft acquired Bungie Studios and Halo: Combat Evolved became a launch title for the Xbox video game console.[13] After receiving Xbox development kits, Bungie Studios rewrote the game's engine, heavily altered its presentation, and turned it into a first-person shooter. Though the first Halo was meant to include an online multiplayer mode, it was excluded because Xbox Live was not yet available.[58]

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
QUOTE (The_Con-Sept @ Apr 9 2011, 07:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am not doing this by myself. And... as a matter of fact we are showing the idea to a group of people who do coding for video games today. I won't be a part of the meeting but I don't like freely showing everyone what game we are making. You can call it silly for me keeping it a secret but I will go with my instincts on this one.

Your instincts are wrong. Your idea is copyright protected if it's already documented. Telling people about it will point out some flaws that could be obvious to others before you've made too much of the game to fix it.

On a side note: The one thing that really killed me when I met with everyone the second time was just how much they didn't know about the gaming industry. For example: One person thought Kinect was BRAND new technology. And talked about buying into a Kinect SDK... When I mentioned the PlayStation Eye Toy... no one even knew about it. I had to explain it to them. The Z Cam [Kinect] has been in this world for ten years. Maybe not created ten years ago, but the project started ten years ago. It was even brought to Sony, thus created the Eye toy, but now it is on Microsoft's console. I even asked them "Where did Halo start?" "It has always been on XBOX" was the only response I got. Correct me if I am wrong but Didn't Halo start out on MAC? Then it moved to PS2/XBOX. Then it became XBOX only?

I distinctively remember a working demo on PS2 being shown in a video back a long long time ago. Like 2001 or so.

The Z cam has been in development for that long, but the kinect is the first consumer device using the technology, so it is brand new consumer technology. The eye toy is not the same. The eye toy is a 2D camera.

Oni was on the PS2, but halo went from Mac/PC to Xbox/PC after M$ bought them.

This part of your post is the irony of ironies.

edit: and of course they won't sell a dev kit to just anyone. Especially on unreleased hardware. There would be way too high a risk of leaking important hardware details. They are also extraordinarily expensive, and you don't even own them; they remain sony's property. Then there's the fact that you'd need a lawyer to sort out the epic contract that comes along with it.

Edited by way2lazy2care, 10 April 2011 - 12:06 PM.

Give me LoL Referals.

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
QUOTE (Nevermore @ Apr 9 2011, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Halo: It was developed originally for Mac I believe, then it moved to PC / XBOX ?

No I distinctively remember watching a video on my PS2 from a PS Mag disc I put in with some people talking about a game based on a "halo." I am going to try and find this video.

I can't find the exact video I remember watching. However here is a good read:

http://ps2.ign.com/o...014/014552.html

You also may want to watch this video without sound:

It is almost similar to the one I saw however it showed more of the ring at night than the day.

QUOTE (way2lazy2care @ Apr 10 2011, 11:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your instincts are wrong. Your idea is copyright protected if it's already documented. Telling people about it will point out some flaws that could be obvious to others before you've made too much of the game to fix it.

Do you personally want to know about the game I am making? Is that it? I am very open to people who I talk to in person about the game. But on here? No. If you personally want to know just send me a PM. My friend in the UK knows everything about the game already.

The Z cam has been in development for that long, but the kinect is the first consumer device using the technology, so it is brand new consumer technology. The eye toy is not the same. The eye toy is a 2D camera.

Sony had seen the idea from the company before it was called 3DV. So they took it upon themselves to make something similar without delving into what 3DV was trying to accomplish in a different way.

Oni was on the PS2, but halo went from Mac/PC to Xbox/PC after M$ bought them.

This part of your post is the irony of ironies.

The ultra super mega irony.

edit: and of course they won't sell a dev kit to just anyone. Especially on unreleased hardware. There would be way too high a risk of leaking important hardware details. They are also extraordinarily expensive, and you don't even own them; they remain sony's property. Then there's the fact that you'd need a lawyer to sort out the epic contract that comes along with it.

It doesn't hurt to ask. At least now I know what I need to do.

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
QUOTE (The_Con-Sept @ Apr 10 2011, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you personally want to know about the game I am making? Is that it? I am very open to people who I talk to in person about the game. But on here? No. If you personally want to know just send me a PM. My friend in the UK knows everything about the game already.

I don't care. I can already tell your game is going to be a development shitstorm from the way you talk about it. I am just telling you that keeping your idea a secret for the sake of keeping it a secret is stupid.

Sony had seen the idea from the company before it was called 3DV. So they took it upon themselves to make something similar without delving into what 3DV was trying to accomplish in a different way.

What happened was that 3DV showed it to them and some sony SEs showed demos that made it appear as though they could replicate the functionality with a standard camera, which is what the eye toy is, so they didn't buy it. That does not change the fact that the eye toy is not the same tech and is only similar in that they both use cameras.

The ultra super mega irony.

the game was only ever announced or publicly confirmed with mac, windows, or xbox as the platform. Anything else is just conjecture. It is only ironic if you are delusional.
Give me LoL Referals.

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
QUOTE (way2lazy2care @ Apr 10 2011, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the game was only ever announced or publicly confirmed with mac, windows, or xbox as the platform. Anything else is just conjecture. It is only ironic if you are delusional.

I still remember seeing it on a PlayStation Magazine disc. It was a preview of what was to come. They also had it on Sega Dreamcast apparently according to IGN. Of course it was never announced for these systems, however there were projects on those consoles for Halo 1.

Anyway apparently the hotel my mother works at is holding some kind of 3 day convention about video games. I am going to go there just to see what it is all about. I don't know too much in detail but she is catering for the event. That happens tomorrow at 10AM.

Edited by The_Con-Sept, 11 April 2011 - 06:35 PM.

Nevermore

Nevermore
  • GA Private
  • 1,658 posts
QUOTE (The_Con-Sept @ Apr 12 2011, 09:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I still remember seeing it on a PlayStation Magazine disc. It was a preview of what was to come. They also had it on Sega Dreamcast apparently according to IGN. Of course it was never announced for these systems, however there were projects on those consoles for Halo 1.

Anyway apparently the hotel my mother works at is holding some kind of 3 day convention about video games. I am going to go there just to see what it is all about. I don't know too much in detail but she is catering for the event. That happens tomorrow at 10AM.

Best be taking a camera and making a thread about it cool.gif

Guest_Rakielis_*

Guest_Rakielis_*
  • Guests
halo was never going to be on ps2. there was a terrible bug in myst 2 for the asian edition and there was a huge recall that cost bungie a million dollars and they were in a position where selling themselves was a good call. they let themselves get bought by MS and halo instantly became xbox exclusive and bungie sold the rights to myst and oni to take two (and the development team working on oni would go with the rights). bungie was effectively split and the only reason they kept the name is because microsoft wanted to keep it and because take two didnt get it. in their agreement.

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
QUOTE (Nevermore @ Apr 11 2011, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Best be taking a camera and making a thread about it cool.gif

Sorry I am not the type of person who records everything.

Hopefully this will bring up what is to come for our team. Right now my mom doesn't know anything about it but I was invited to join this get together. At first I thought it was an all night-er competition....

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
Fucking waste of gas, money, and time.

Turns out it was all for Blackberry, Macintosh, and iPad. Don't get me wrong I like Apple and such but they were mainly bringing people together to create new apps, not games. After a half an hour into it I left the room. I thank god I didn't tell Don about it. And no I didn't take a camera with me so no new thread.

Oh well I haven't heard from Bo in 3 days.

What types of bike body styles do you like? Speed? Cruiser? Conceptual? I am just trying to get a good perspective on the types of bikes I should go for in the art book.

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
QUOTE (The_Con-Sept @ Apr 12 2011, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fucking waste of gas, money, and time.

Turns out it was all for Blackberry, Macintosh, and iPad. Don't get me wrong I like Apple and such but they were mainly bringing people together to create new apps, not games. After a half an hour into it I left the room. I thank god I didn't tell Don about it. And no I didn't take a camera with me so no new thread.

Dude just because it's not on a platform you like doesn't mean it won't be useful or that the connections you make won't be either. Just being around other developers will give you a good insight into the mind of professional developers.

Your stubbornness will be your downfall.
Give me LoL Referals.

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
QUOTE (way2lazy2care @ Apr 12 2011, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dude just because it's not on a platform you like doesn't mean it won't be useful or that the connections you make won't be either. Just being around other developers will give you a good insight into the mind of professional developers.

Your stubbornness will be your downfall.

Do you know how much it costs to even begin developing on an iPad vs. Android?

Yeah I don't even have a Development iPad kit. In that convention everyone else had a development kit but me. Imagine walking into a room with only an idea and not having the tools to help create it yourself. All I had was my notebooks and artwork with me. If you could imagine me being Megamind when he first went to school, that is pretty much how I looked when I walked in. Happy at first but then it turned sour almost immediately. Talk about embarrassment. I can get an android development kit for under 500 dollars. Apple is way above that. Plus maintaining the SDK is expensive in itself. We are not outsourcing to other people to create the game, we are doing it all ourselves here. We may expand ourselves to this market, but not at this time.

I know how expensive the Sony SDK's are getting. But as far as iPhone and NGP go... We are no where close to getting to those systems yet.

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
QUOTE (The_Con-Sept @ Apr 13 2011, 08:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you know how much it costs to even begin developing on an iPad vs. Android?

That is not relevant to anything I said.

edit: ignoring the irony that you were previously trying to buy an NGP devkit.

Edited by way2lazy2care, 13 April 2011 - 03:18 PM.

Give me LoL Referals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users