Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New Type Of Racing Game?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
  • PSN:The_Con-Sept
QUOTE (way2lazy2care @ Apr 13 2011, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That is not relevant to anything I said.

edit: ignoring the irony that you were previously trying to buy an NGP devkit.

As I stated I know the Dev kits are well above the 10 grand range. Especially when Sony's PS3 Dev Kit is 16 grand.

These people were developing apps for dating services and shopping on your phone. Not games. What the hell would I need to do a call for a web page for in coding for a game? So again I walked into the wrong convention.

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:way2lazy2care
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
QUOTE (The_Con-Sept @ Apr 13 2011, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
These people were developing apps for dating services and shopping on your phone. Not games. What the hell would I need to do a call for a web page for in coding for a game? So again I walked into the wrong convention.

That's still the wrong attitude. You are an amateur software developer. Being around any professional software developer of any type will help you.

You want to make a website and mobile app to help players purchase DLC and track stats for your game; if only you were friends with some web/mobile app developers who at the very least could give you advice! You want to set up the server for your multiplayer; turns out a lot of web developers can help you with that too. Why do you're players hate going into your inventory choosing rather to beat your game without using any of your hard designed items? Web and mobile developers never have to deal with making intuitive interfaces, so they'd never be able to help you with that. You're looking for a way to increase your sales; if only there were some platforms with millions of users ready to play a great game on their way to work, but again, what would a mobile or web developer know about a platform with millions of users? Why is does your website get 20,000 views a day and only 2 downloads? Web developers never have to deal with those kind of problems. You're wondering why your dev cycle is a piece of crap and nothing is being turned in on time, more bugs are coming up than need to, and there are design questions popping up all over the place; IF ONLY THERE WERE SOME SORT OF PROFESSION THAT HAS DEALT WITH THESE PROBLEMS FOR 30 YEARS!

Just because it is not directly relevant to what you are doing now does not mean it is not relevant. Game developers don't become great because they lock themselves in a box. A lot of the best game developers are great because, outside of work, they soak up every piece of knowledge pertaining to and not pertaining to games they can get their hands on.
SPAMBOTSTOOKOVERMYSITE D:
Give me LoL Referals.

QUOTE (Virus52 @ Mar 3 2008, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ALL HAIL THE GREAT AND MIGHTY MOTH!

QUOTE (SN3S @ May 6 2008, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No sensuality; this is all for fitness.

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
You have to remember. We are doing this 2 days a week. We all have our own jobs and are doing this game on the side. I myself waste away 11 hours of my day at my job. From 0600-1100 and 1400-1700 I am working. 3 hours in between is all I have to work with for this game. And on weekends. I am either cleaning up the place or I am trying to find something to do for the weekend with my friends. But what we need are people experienced in the fields that we have chosen. And right now, going in on iPhone would kill the project. I walked out of the convention once again because I didn't want to make a fucking apple iShoppe. And besides that I know a bit about HTML. I have made my own personal web page before and can do it again. Making virtual shopping worlds is not for me. It is not the type of focus I want. Not even for DLC. For me I actually hate the idea of DLC since it became popular with PS3/360. So I am staying away from that and am going to continue to stick with the group that we have and continue to pick up more people ourselves. Because no one out there wants to develop something for free.

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
QUOTE (The_Con-Sept @ Apr 14 2011, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You have to remember. We are doing this 2 days a week. We all have our own jobs and are doing this game on the side. I myself waste away 11 hours of my day at my job. From 0600-1100 and 1400-1700 I am working. 3 hours in between is all I have to work with for this game. And on weekends. I am either cleaning up the place or I am trying to find something to do for the weekend with my friends. But what we need are people experienced in the fields that we have chosen. And right now, going in on iPhone would kill the project. I walked out of the convention once again because I didn't want to make a fucking apple iShoppe. And besides that I know a bit about HTML. I have made my own personal web page before and can do it again. Making virtual shopping worlds is not for me. It is not the type of focus I want. Not even for DLC. For me I actually hate the idea of DLC since it became popular with PS3/360. So I am staying away from that and am going to continue to stick with the group that we have and continue to pick up more people ourselves. Because no one out there wants to develop something for free.

Do you not know how to read? Very little of this is relevant to what I said.
Give me LoL Referals.

x_byakugan_x

x_byakugan_x

holy shit I have a title

• Global Moderators
  • 4,868 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:alphaferret415
  • PSN:alpha-ferret_415
  • Wii:Memorized?
  • Rofl-Rupees:None
QUOTE (CakeCom @ Apr 7 2011, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
racing games

QUOTE (CakeCom @ Apr 7 2011, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Super Mario Bros 64

Anyway, you all like shit racing games. The only 2 good racing games are Ridge Racer and Mario Kart.

edit: Just read the 2 pages of development talk. Continue.

Edited by x_byakugan_x, 14 April 2011 - 07:49 PM.

QUOTE (Rickrolled @ Jan 10 2011, 04:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Love how the resident tough guy is happy to talk trash on an internet forum but back pedals as soon as he is called out. Typical coward. No doubt he'll respond to this with excessive bravado in order to restore his rightful place as a fully fledged internet badass.

I like to make werewolf...
MOVIES
bunny.jpg

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
QUOTE (x_byakugan_x @ Apr 14 2011, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyway, you all like shit racing games. The only 2 good racing games are Ridge Racer and Mario Kart.

Jet Moto 2... victory.
Give me LoL Referals.

x_byakugan_x

x_byakugan_x

holy shit I have a title

• Global Moderators
  • 4,868 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:alphaferret415
  • PSN:alpha-ferret_415
  • Wii:Memorized?
  • Rofl-Rupees:None
QUOTE (way2lazy2care @ Apr 14 2011, 07:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jet Moto 2... victory.

Oh shit, that too. Excellent music in it.

QUOTE (Rickrolled @ Jan 10 2011, 04:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Love how the resident tough guy is happy to talk trash on an internet forum but back pedals as soon as he is called out. Typical coward. No doubt he'll respond to this with excessive bravado in order to restore his rightful place as a fully fledged internet badass.

I like to make werewolf...
MOVIES
bunny.jpg

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
QUOTE (x_byakugan_x @ Apr 14 2011, 11:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh shit, that too. Excellent music in it.

when I used to play the mine track splitscreen with my dad I would always pause and switch the split screen orientation while he was going across the hard part to mess him up.
Give me LoL Referals.

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
You want me to disect everything you told me? Fine:

QUOTE (way2lazy2care @ Apr 14 2011, 07:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's still the wrong attitude. You are an amateur software developer. Being around any professional software developer of any type will help you.

That is like saying you should surround yourself with Shiites to learn about combat training. Walking into another corporate run shopping service is only going to lead me into the wrong direction.

You want to make a website and mobile app to help players purchase DLC and track stats for your game; if only you were friends with some web/mobile app developers who at the very least could give you advice!

I forgot to tell you that Don is already working on the server side. I've seen his server and he even told me that tracking stats would be a cinch since people wouldn't need to be constantly connected to it. Secondly on Android they pretty much just give you a space on their own app store. If you add in DLC it is problem solved pretty much. Just upload the files to their server. As far as online play we are actually considering utilizing the Androids Blue tooth functionality to connect to other local players. I don't think an online android game would work for now. We'd rather bring the multiplayer to the handhelds like 3DS and NGP.

You want to set up the server for your multiplayer; turns out a lot of web developers can help you with that too. Why do you're players hate going into your inventory choosing rather to beat your game without using any of your hard designed items?

I don't understand that last sentence. But I answered the first question question ahead of time.

Web and mobile developers never have to deal with making intuitive interfaces, so they'd never be able to help you with that. You're looking for a way to increase your sales; if only there were some platforms with millions of users ready to play a great game on their way to work, but again, what would a mobile or web developer know about a platform with millions of users? Why is does your website get 20,000 views a day and only 2 downloads? Web developers never have to deal with those kind of problems. You're wondering why your dev cycle is a piece of crap and nothing is being turned in on time, more bugs are coming up than need to, and there are design questions popping up all over the place; IF ONLY THERE WERE SOME SORT OF PROFESSION THAT HAS DEALT WITH THESE PROBLEMS FOR 30 YEARS!

If only I had the 50 dollars Per hour to hire someone instead of coming to them with an idea and telling them "Hey, no one is making any money off of this until it launches and we generate income."

Yeah we don't have money to pay others right now. I don't think someone with even 2 years of experience is going to do something with us, without compensation that is.

Just because it is not directly relevant to what you are doing now does not mean it is not relevant. Game developers don't become great because they lock themselves in a box. A lot of the best game developers are great because, outside of work, they soak up every piece of knowledge pertaining to and not pertaining to games they can get their hands on.

Why do you think we buy a bunch of books for? I also do not want to make a fucking virtual shopping center. I hate corporations enough as it is. Such as EA.

So until then I am not making a virtual shopping center. That is why I left that convention. Plus it was on iPhone and I already told you about that. Dev kits for Apple are too expensive for us right now. Even Sony's NGP. End of this discussion.

But since we are on the topic of the racing games we've enjoyed in the past:

Cruisin' USA was my first racing game on the N64. Loved it to death even to this day. I forgot what car I always picked though....

Edited by The_Con-Sept, 15 April 2011 - 06:56 PM.

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
QUOTE (The_Con-Sept @ Apr 15 2011, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You want me to disect everything you told me? Fine:

no. I want you to stop being an idiot.

That is like saying you should surround yourself with Shiites to learn about combat training. Walking into another corporate run shopping service is only going to lead me into the wrong direction.

man... you're right. You have so much more experience than me developing games. What the fuck would I know about it. It's not my job or anything.

I forgot to tell you that Don is already working on the server side. I've seen his server and he even told me that tracking stats would be a cinch since people wouldn't need to be constantly connected to it. Secondly on Android they pretty much just give you a space on their own app store. If you add in DLC it is problem solved pretty much. Just upload the files to their server. As far as online play we are actually considering utilizing the Androids Blue tooth functionality to connect to other local players. I don't think an online android game would work for now. We'd rather bring the multiplayer to the handhelds like 3DS and NGP.

I don't understand that last sentence. But I answered the first question question ahead of time.

you need a server for more than stat tracking dude. Still. Not relevant. You want as much of a professional network as possible stretching as far as possible. You never know when or what advice somebody will give you.

If only I had the 50 dollars Per hour to hire someone instead of coming to them with an idea and telling them "Hey, no one is making any money off of this until it launches and we generate income."

Yeah we don't have money to pay others right now. I don't think someone with even 2 years of experience is going to do something with us, without compensation that is.

that doesn't matter. Advice is usually free and priceless. Like say the advice I am giving you now. By all means though keep on with your attitude and check back in 4 years when you almost have a prototype.

Why do you think we buy a bunch of books for? I also do not want to make a fucking virtual shopping center. I hate corporations enough as it is. Such as EA.

So until then I am not making a virtual shopping center. That is why I left that convention. Plus it was on iPhone and I already told you about that. Dev kits for Apple are too expensive for us right now. Even Sony's NGP. End of this discussion.

this is just you making more excuses, and bad ones, to try to justify your actions. Do you really think that because you don't want to make a virtual shopping center you have nothing to learn from virtual shopping centers? Amazon is a great study in interface design. Joel Spolsky has written tons of stuff on interfaces that will change the way you deal with all the interfaces in anything you do. He probably doesn't make anything you've ever heard of, and the only conferences you're likely to run into him at are things not related to games in the slightest.
Give me LoL Referals.

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
QUOTE (way2lazy2care @ Apr 16 2011, 09:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
no. I want you to stop being an idiot.

Well that is never going to happen then.

man... you're right. You have so much more experience than me developing games. What the fuck would I know about it. It's not my job or anything.

You're right I don't.

you need a server for more than stat tracking dude. Still. Not relevant. You want as much of a professional network as possible stretching as far as possible. You never know when or what advice somebody will give you.

Online cell phone games do not work to well. We will begin working on an online server for players to go against each other world wide when the tech becomes available to us. (For NGP and so on.)

that doesn't matter. Advice is usually free and priceless. Like say the advice I am giving you now. By all means though keep on with your attitude and check back in 4 years when you almost have a prototype.

And walking into a convention center with a 75 dollar entry fee is free advice.

this is just you making more excuses, and bad ones, to try to justify your actions. Do you really think that because you don't want to make a virtual shopping center you have nothing to learn from virtual shopping centers? Amazon is a great study in interface design. Joel Spolsky has written tons of stuff on interfaces that will change the way you deal with all the interfaces in anything you do. He probably doesn't make anything you've ever heard of, and the only conferences you're likely to run into him at are things not related to games in the slightest.

What would I gain with learning how to make a fucking virtual shopping center other than creating new windows for separate options? That doesn't help the game for me. We already have someone who is capable of producing one. Again I am not doing this by myself. I am the sound guy now. As was put in yesterdays phone meeting. Now my only focus is creating sounds. I have too many models for Alex to create as it is. The only thing left is the physics of the game. We don't want to make it complicating so I had to create a diorama for Bo to utilize. That way he can understand the art direction in the game.

I have already done websites. Simple HTML scripts with a bit of Splash interfaces and GUI's. It isn't hard to translate that into C# or Python when you learn the library it uses for the calls of them. So again why do something I learned how to do back when I was in 9th grade making my clans website []Magic[]?

Besides their plan was to have a 3D modeled object as the main attraction. being able to spin it in any direction on your phone to see what it was outside of the box. Simple splash box embedded in an HTML page. Appealing but...

NOT WHAT I WANTED TO DO.

Call me stubborn I don't care anymore.

If only it were a real convention about video games it would have gone down differently and I would have STAYED.

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
QUOTE (The_Con-Sept @ Apr 16 2011, 07:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What would I gain with learning how to make a fucking virtual shopping center other than creating new windows for separate options?

A lot more than you think.
Give me LoL Referals.

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
QUOTE (way2lazy2care @ Apr 17 2011, 10:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A lot more than you think.

Please explain how it is so much different than a simple HTML page because quite frankly I can make one right now if I wanted to but I have nothing to sell.

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
QUOTE (The_Con-Sept @ Apr 17 2011, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Please explain how it is so much different than a simple HTML page because quite frankly I can make one right now if I wanted to but I have nothing to sell.

That's like 2 semester's worth of college courses.
Give me LoL Referals.

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
QUOTE (way2lazy2care @ Apr 18 2011, 02:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's like 2 semester's worth of college courses.

And I can create a shopping web page in MySQL and PHPBB without needing to take such courses. In fact I wouldn't need to. Especially with a community of people in those fields who give out free scripts anyway.

Now moving along. No more talk about that stupid waste of time.

We have a coder.

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
QUOTE (The_Con-Sept @ Apr 18 2011, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And I can create a shopping web page in MySQL and PHPBB without needing to take such courses. In fact I wouldn't need to. Especially with a community of people in those fields who give out free scripts anyway.

There is more to being able to do something than having the technical ability to implement it. People don't shop at amazon because it has a streamlined database and buttons to click on.

A lot of the problems that amazon solves are the exact same problems you run into every day handling game interfaces. Again though, by all means ignore the collective centuries of knowledge readily available to you. After all, you play video games and that makes you better than everyone at design.
Give me LoL Referals.

Guest_Rakielis_*

Guest_Rakielis_*
  • Guests
its more complicated than html the same way linux is more complicated than mac.

mac simply has very few options available to the user. some people like this. linux on the other hand has a LOT more options and in fact is nearly impossible to install with out having to make some selections between multiple options (even picking a distro counts). mac doesnt have that. coding a game is more complicated than html for basically the exact same reason. there are just hundreds more variables and the raw amount of code required to make a decent amount of content is MUCH higher than web.

flash would be the "windows" in my analogy. its considered one of the easiest but still fully featured. you arent restrained to a particular genre like other more simple game makers.

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
QUOTE (way2lazy2care @ Apr 19 2011, 06:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is more to being able to do something than having the technical ability to implement it. People don't shop at amazon because it has a streamlined database and buttons to click on.

A lot of the problems that amazon solves are the exact same problems you run into every day handling game interfaces. Again though, by all means ignore the collective centuries of knowledge readily available to you. After all, you play video games and that makes you better than everyone at design.

Yeah because I am just making this game all by myself. No. We have our coder now and we decided on Unity 3D. Don and John are working with Ted already. Alex is working on the game design layout. And like I said I am the sound guy now. So it is out of my reach, out of my hands. and like I said END OF THE DISCUSSION.

QUOTE (Rakielis @ Apr 19 2011, 07:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
its more complicated than html the same way linux is more complicated than mac.

mac simply has very few options available to the user. some people like this. linux on the other hand has a LOT more options and in fact is nearly impossible to install with out having to make some selections between multiple options (even picking a distro counts). mac doesnt have that. coding a game is more complicated than html for basically the exact same reason. there are just hundreds more variables and the raw amount of code required to make a decent amount of content is MUCH higher than web.

flash would be the "windows" in my analogy. its considered one of the easiest but still fully featured. you arent restrained to a particular genre like other more simple game makers.

I love flash. I am glad it has become what it is today. If only more devices were flash enabled today instead of just a select few, then we'd be able to make it available to multiple platforms at once. Instead of reprogramming it in different languages to get the same game on them we could focus on making the next game immediately.

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
QUOTE (The_Con-Sept @ Apr 20 2011, 10:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah because I am just making this game all by myself. No. We have our coder now and we decided on Unity 3D. Don and John are working with Ted already. Alex is working on the game design layout. And like I said I am the sound guy now. So it is out of my reach, out of my hands. and like I said END OF THE DISCUSSION.

This is still not relevant to the problems I am telling you with your attitude.

I love flash. I am glad it has become what it is today. If only more devices were flash enabled today instead of just a select few, then we'd be able to make it available to multiple platforms at once. Instead of reprogramming it in different languages to get the same game on them we could focus on making the next game immediately.

A select few like every android in the last year and the ability to publish flash to iOs native apps?
Give me LoL Referals.

The_Con-Sept

The_Con-Sept
  • Members
  • 1,620 posts
QUOTE (way2lazy2care @ Apr 20 2011, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is still not relevant to the problems I am telling you with your attitude.

This is the first time I am going to have to use these words: Shut up about it already.

I have been designated as the sound guy. The coding is out of my hands now. Nothing I can do about it. Again DROP THE DISCUSSION.

QUOTE (way2lazy2care @ Apr 20 2011, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A select few like every android in the last year and the ability to publish flash to iOs native apps?

I really don't like smart phones to begin with. but right now it seems to be the more popular choice. Besides that we could easily get a flash version of the game running. But we would rather work on it in Unity 3D since it has some nice tutorials on magnets.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users