Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Gore Verbinski: Why His 'bioshock' Film Didn't Happen

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Kanashe

Kanashe
  • Members
  • 306 posts
  • xfire:hamio
In a recent interview, director Gore Verbinski offered updates on his current film projects (including 'The Lone Ranger' with Johnny Depp as Tonto) and took a few moments to discuss why his film adaptation of the popular 'Bioshock' video game never quite got off the ground. While fans of the popular video game series may be disappointed to hear that Verbinski won't be bringing the Big Daddies to the silver screen, once they hear his reasoning behind it I think they'll be relieved:

Verbinksi explains:
"I couldn't really get past anybody that would spend the money that it would take to do it and keep an R rating. Alternately, I wasn't really interested in pursuing a PG-13 version. Because the R rating is inherent. Little Sisters and injections and the whole thing. I just wanted to really, really make it a movie where, four days later, you're still shivering and going, "Jesus Christ!"... It's a movie that has to be really, really scary, but you also have to create a whole underwater world, so the pricetag is high. We just didn't have any takers on an R-rated movie with that pricetag."

Basically, in a film landscape of bloodless Wolverine movies and teen-friendly Die Hard sequels, the reason why his Bioshock adaptation never saw the light of day was because he refused to soften the content of the film solely to appeal to a wider audience - and for that, we salute him.

teh_metalizer

teh_metalizer
  • Members
  • 391 posts
  • xfire:pwnhammer
Sounds like the movie could be really good...
At least he got balls, RESPECT.

FunkyMonkey

FunkyMonkey
  • Members
  • 487 posts
  • xfire:vliegendehollander7
  • Xbox / GFWL:lmao
  • PSN:roflpop
  • Wii:lol
I'd rather have no bioshock movie than an bioshock movie that would suck ass

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:way2lazy2care
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
QUOTE (Kanashe @ Feb 15 2011, 02:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"I couldn't really get past anybody that would spend the money that it would take to do it and keep an R rating. Alternately, I wasn't really interested in pursuing a PG-13 version. Because the R rating is inherent. Little Sisters and injections and the whole thing. I just wanted to really, really make it a movie where, four days later, you're still shivering and going, "Jesus Christ!"... It's a movie that has to be really, really scary, but you also have to create a whole underwater world, so the pricetag is high. We just didn't have any takers on an R-rated movie with that pricetag."

I don't get why it has to be rated R to be "really, really scary". The Ring was PG-13 and it was pretty creepy.

I don't really get why the studios care so much either. I just don't understand why he's so caught up on getting an R rating.
SPAMBOTSTOOKOVERMYSITE D:
Give me LoL Referals.

QUOTE (Virus52 @ Mar 3 2008, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ALL HAIL THE GREAT AND MIGHTY MOTH!

QUOTE (SN3S @ May 6 2008, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No sensuality; this is all for fitness.

Xayun

Xayun

Wisest Poster '09

• GA Private
  • 2,732 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:2492
  • Company:Gamma
This is the dude who directed the Pirates of the Carribean movies. I don't think we lost the cure for cancer here

Kanashe

Kanashe
  • Members
  • 306 posts
  • xfire:hamio
QUOTE (Xayun @ Feb 16 2011, 06:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is the dude who directed the Pirates of the Carribean movies. I don't think we lost the cure for cancer here

I think he only directed the 1st movie, and that was it.

Xayun

Xayun

Wisest Poster '09

• GA Private
  • 2,732 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:2492
  • Company:Gamma
Nope, all 3

Master C

Master C
  • Members
  • 5,511 posts
  • xfire:masterca
  • Xbox / GFWL:Renegade Con
  • Wii:4710238335790963
  • Rofl-Rupees:7
In all fairness the pirates of the caribean turned out be exactly what it was originally envisioned as. Its not like they defiled some novell in its production or something.

So for the guy to stick to his principles like that is commendable.

Edited by Master C, 18 February 2011 - 01:51 PM.

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:way2lazy2care
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
QUOTE (Kanashe @ Feb 17 2011, 03:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think he only directed the 1st movie, and that was it.

He was overshadowed by jerry bruckheimer
SPAMBOTSTOOKOVERMYSITE D:
Give me LoL Referals.

QUOTE (Virus52 @ Mar 3 2008, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ALL HAIL THE GREAT AND MIGHTY MOTH!

QUOTE (SN3S @ May 6 2008, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No sensuality; this is all for fitness.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users