Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mirros Edge 2 Cancelled

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Tree_

Tree_

<3's You Guys

• Retired Staff
  • 15,518 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:1
Development of Mirror's Edge 2 has been "stopped" by EA.

A team at DICE showed EA a prototype that was "declined", according to a Eurogamer Sweden translation of a Press 2 Play TV report.

"Patrick [Soderlund - EA driving and shooting game boss] acknowledges that Mirror's Edge didn't match up to their expectations regarding sales, and that has stopped the sequel that has been in development," declared the report, published originally in December.

"EA was shown a prototype, but declined with askance. The project has been stopped - involved parties at DICE are working on something else now. Patrick himself seems to have Mirror's Edge near his heart, but they are not in the business of charity."

Presumably the extra development is going into Battlefield 3 - EA's well publicised attempt at wrestling shooter supremacy from the Call of Duty series.

Source: Eurogamer

Dump something original to make a safe bet rehash? Sounds about right.

Xayun

Xayun

Wisest Poster '09

• GA Private
  • 2,732 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:2492
  • Company:Gamma
I'll just quote my response on Crap forum:

QUOTE ('Xayun')
FUCK

FUCK

FUCK

otaku_4_life

otaku_4_life

Best MMO-RPG Contributor 08!

• Members
  • 4,566 posts
  • xfire:otaku4life
  • Steam ID:0:0:9287390
  • Xbox / GFWL:o
  • PSN:L
  • Wii:L
QUOTE (Tree_ @ Feb 14 2011, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

if BF3 is going to be as good as BF2 was, I don't mind this.

AKA:
QUOTE (Karko @ Aug 21 2011, 07:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that 12 year old canadian kid who used to play BF2 before going to WoW and becoming addicted

Andrack

Andrack
  • GA Private
  • 2,037 posts
  • PSN:Andrack64
  • Gamer Army ID:1202
  • Company:Kilo
QUOTE (Tree_ @ Feb 14 2011, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
safe bet rehash?

>implying Mirror's Edge 2 wasn't a safe bet rehash.

The main character was ugly anyway.

Tree_

Tree_

<3's You Guys

• Retired Staff
  • 15,518 posts
QUOTE (Andrack @ Feb 15 2011, 12:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

>Implying Mirror's Edge 2 would have been a safe bet rehash
>Making a sequel to a game that only sold 750,000 copies compared to what BF3 will pull

Safe as houses.

Knight Fall

Knight Fall
  • Members
  • 270 posts
  • Interests:Music, playing guitar in my band, xbox, halo, games.
  • Xbox / GFWL:KnightFall1151
DARN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crap, I really wanted this game................
Check out my Pure Pwnage Fan Films Series! Watch here: Pure Pwnage Fan Films

cadetduke

cadetduke
  • GA Private
  • 5,898 posts
  • xfire:cadetduke
  • Steam ID:cadetduke
  • Xbox / GFWL:cadetduke
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Gamer Army ID:2069
  • Company:Foxtrot
I didn't like Mirror's Edge, but I just played the demo.
Midwest Gaming - Work in progress.

Danoli3

Danoli3

MotM Sept 2006 | teh_artchiverer | PP Lifetime Achievement Award

• GA Sergeant
  • 6,760 posts
  • xfire:Danoli3
  • Interests:Natalie, Pure Pwnage, Games, Programming, Animation, Music, Movies
  • Steam ID:Danoli3
  • Xbox / GFWL:Danolium
  • Wii:1622774217920323
  • Gamer Army ID:9
  • Company:Pi
QUOTE (otaku_4_life @ Feb 15 2011, 09:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if BF3 is going to be as good as BF2 was, I don't mind this.

This... but Mirrors edge was fairly unique in its game play... It had its own Genre pretty much in design.
Pretty stupid on EA's part I think to can it completely.

Xayun

Xayun

Wisest Poster '09

• GA Private
  • 2,732 posts
QUOTE (Andrack @ Feb 15 2011, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ITT: People who have no idea what they're talking about

DarkAscension

DarkAscension
  • GA Corporal
  • 1,796 posts
  • xfire:CAN'T BE BOTHERED TO DOWNLOAD
  • Interests:Gaming, Pure Pwnage, Acting, Filmmaking, Writing and Reading (in that order).
  • Xbox / GFWL:K1d P5ycho
  • PSN:K1dP5ycho
  • Gamer Army ID:530

Seriously, the reason they gave for them dropping it (except for sales) could have been fixed with a sequel.

-_-
19/09/2012 - Welcome Back Pure Pwnage!

Andrack

Andrack
  • GA Private
  • 2,037 posts
  • PSN:Andrack64
  • Gamer Army ID:1202
  • Company:Kilo
QUOTE (Xayun @ Feb 15 2011, 06:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ITT: People who have no idea what they're talking about

ITT: People who thought Faith was attractive.

/troll

SithHappens

SithHappens
  • GA Private
  • 100 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:3962
Doesn't mean it won't be made in the future, they could still come back to it..

But really, you're fucking retarded for saying it's a safe bet rehash though. BF isn't like cod where some piece of shit gets pumped out once every year. BF2 came out a long time ago, people have been waiting for BF3 for a long time. I would hope they would give it the attention it needs to fulfill the hopes that everyone has for it. The game has a much bigger fan base and EA has got to do what it needs to in order to ensure those fans are pleased.

You make it sound as if it could even BE one or the other, like they could've said "Guys, we need to focus on mirror's edge 2, drop BF3" and had to choose between one or the other. Uhh no, BF3 is fucking coming, they've been planning on this shit. The fans have been waiting for it. What matters now is whether they do whatever is needed to make sure it delivers, and according to Eurogamer, making sure BF3 was gonna deliver was more important than the profits they would have gotten from developing Mirror's Edge 2.

So.. go fuck yourself if you really think the decision was about money and a "safe bet rehash."

Edited by SithHappens, 15 February 2011 - 06:45 PM.

Tree_

Tree_

<3's You Guys

• Retired Staff
  • 15,518 posts
QUOTE (SithHappens @ Feb 16 2011, 10:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So.. go fuck yourself if you really think the decision was about money and a "safe bet rehash."

Your right ... Companies aren't about money at all...

SithHappens

SithHappens
  • GA Private
  • 100 posts
QUOTE (Tree_ @ Feb 15 2011, 06:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your right ... Companies aren't about money at all...

Good job on reading my post, somehow I knew you'd say something like that.

I know your liberal hate for companies makes you wish they would pick the game that you like over the much more popular one that the majority of people want to see and would buy, but take a second to stop being stupid and read my post (since you didn't or it went right over your dumb ass head) and realize if they kept people off the development team for BF3 and made mirror's edge 2 they would probably be making more money than keeping those people only on BF3 to make it as good as possible.

Unless of course they really expect development costs to outweigh mirror's edge 2 sales, and if that's the case you can blame everyone around you for not buying enough copies of Mirror's Edge, cause guess what? Businesses don't last long without a profit.

Tree_

Tree_

<3's You Guys

• Retired Staff
  • 15,518 posts
If BF3 was such an important project to EA or DICE why weren't other projects held off in the past to put more resources towards it? Within the apparent time frame that this game has been in production, DICE could have not made BC1 or 2 or even the console port of BF2. What's the point of only now deciding "Hey you know what - People have been asking for Mirror's Edge 2 for awhile and we've been working on it and have some stuff done ... But instead of giving it the green light let's just dump it for a project that we could have completed years ago had we have not made a spin off BF series or some console ports!".

No: I see what your saying. It's just your argument is fucking moronic.

Xayun

Xayun

Wisest Poster '09

• GA Private
  • 2,732 posts

QUOTE (SithHappens @ Feb 16 2011, 01:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
liberal hate

I'm gonna assume you mean liberal in the sense of him having an abundance of hate, because the alternative is too stupid to contemplate

SithHappens

SithHappens
  • GA Private
  • 100 posts
QUOTE (Tree_ @ Feb 15 2011, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If BF3 was such an important project to EA or DICE why weren't other projects held off in the past to put more resources towards it? Within the apparent time frame that this game has been in production, DICE could have not made BC1 or 2 or even the console port of BF2. What's the point of only now deciding "Hey you know what - People have been asking for Mirror's Edge 2 for awhile and we've been working on it and have some stuff done ... But instead of giving it the green light let's just dump it for a project that we could have completed years ago had we have not made a spin off BF series or some console ports!".

No: I see what your saying. It's just your argument is fucking moronic.

The point of stopping Mirror's Edge 2 was to presumably, according to Eurogamer, get more help on BF3. Maybe they wanted to wait all this time for BF3 so they could have a much better engine to run it to make the game to their heart's content? They wanted to wait for whatever reason, and they still made the original game you like. Now that it's time for BF3 to be made, focus is on BF3. Bad luck on Mirror's Edge coinciding with it. It's the fact that you treat BF3 as their fall back instead of making Mirror's Edge 2 that's stupid. That you think they should even consider dropping BF3 for Mirror's Edge 2, when it's clear which game has more importance (in terms of people waiting for it).

They already started working on Mirror's Edge 2 so it's clear they thought they could make profits on it, so they're holding off on those profits in order to make sure their main game that has many more people waiting for it gets the attention it deserves. Go ahead and hate them for that if you want, but that's different than making it sound like they're choosing the money maker over Mirror's Edge 2, when they had already been in development for BF3 before ME2.

SithHappens

SithHappens
  • GA Private
  • 100 posts
QUOTE (Tree_ @ Feb 14 2011, 04:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you fucked bro?

And I stated Eurogamer as the source (who I presume knows more than you or I) for them pulling Mirror's Edge 2 people, as well as Dice announcing pulling people off bf1943 for pc and onslaught for bc2 to have them work on BF3.

So if you want to claim them for being full of shit ok, but those are my sources. And working on two projects at the same time doesn't apply when you don't know how large each project is. I would think BF3 is much larger than their recent projects of BC or Mirror's Edge and it would require more people, but none of us can probably comment. I go by what Eurogamer and Dice have said, not just my own conjecture like you are.

ThrashTitan

ThrashTitan
  • Members
  • 922 posts
  • Steam ID:Maximus_Metallicus
Activision released news today that they will be discontinuing the development of any future Guitar Hero games after the less-than-stellar sales for the most recent Guitar Hero game, "Warriors of Rock".

Activision instead intends to focus on their best-selling first person shooter franchise, 'Call of Duty

In 2008 EA confirmed that it was planning a sequel for Mirror's Edge, which met with 'disappointing sales'.

Its all about money.
QUOTE (spiri7ussancti @ Jun 13 2011, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would like to clarify that I am indeed trolling in this particular thread.

QUOTE (spiri7ussancti @ Jun 8 2011, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
FIRST OF ALL. ur stupid, me and my friends have a name for kids like you we meet in pub games. We call them "new age gamer"

SithHappens

SithHappens
  • GA Private
  • 100 posts
"How can you come to any conclusion beyond the fact that EA dont think the game will sell well for it's cancellation? It's not like they don't have the capacity to do both. They virtually put it in writing here...:"

Shit happens when you're making a game, and they have their deadline they want to hit. I stated them pulling resources for BF3 because that's what this source said, http://bf3blog.com/2...to-work-on-bf3/, as well as your first post where Eurogamer said "to presumably work on bf3" (paraphrasing). They obviously thought they could make ME2 work or they wouldn't have started production on it, so I still see them returning to it in the future, as well as possibly fixing what they think they fucked up on to make its sales better.

"I never stated as such, only that I do not see the logic in entirely stopping production of Mirror's Edge when history has shown DICE has the capacity to work on multiple games at the same time."

That's a lot different than saying "Dump something original to make a safe bet rehash".

JUST SAYING.

Edit: @ThrashTitan - Right, I forgot that companies are supposed to continue making games even if they'll lose money and also not follow where consumers put their dollars.

Edited by SithHappens, 16 February 2011 - 01:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users