Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Who Likes Fishin'?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

lolcrica90

lolcrica90
  • Members
  • 2,033 posts
  • Interests:plays guitar.
you may view fishing as a great way to just relax, drink some beer, and mindlessly cast a line in the water and mindlessly reel it back in. but when you actually hook a fish it can be quite an exciting workout getting it back in the boat. depending on the fish's size and depending on your strength you may not feel like getting out of bed the next day. imagine wrestling a 300lb marlin for two hours, you'll discover muscles on your body you never knew existed, hell anything close 20-30lbs will have your biceps burning. and not to mention spearfishing as well, having to hold your breath for a couple of minutes, diving deeper to find that bigger fish, making sure your butt doesn't get chewed off by a curious shark. there's also shark wrangling, that thing they do in america sticking your hand in a hole and wrestling a big 'ole catfish, and many more. fishing takes a good amount of mental concentration too, you may not have any hits for the whole day then BAM!!! you get a bite, your not ready, you go home talking about "the one that got away" not to mention tired and hungry as well. and finally ladies and gentlemen, here is a place where you can tell your stories about the biggest fish your ever caught or the smallest, and feel free to post pictures as well. so yes as you can see i like fishing, do you?

and now the introduction is out of the way i'll tell you about the biggest fish that i didn't manage to catch and biggest one i have caught so far.
it was last july (10) in a bottom fishing tournament in the marshall islands (google it). we went to the outer reef end of the atoll, anchored down, and dropped in our lines. btw despite my fondness of fishing, i am pretty terrible at it. now the other two guys are like l33t at bottom fishing, every 10 minutes of so they were pulling a fish in, half a day in there was 50 fish in the cooler whereas all i had managed to achieve was getting my line tangled up. so i decided to try and untangle my line while these two guys were casually pulling in more fish, i took off my gloves because it was easier to work the line that way, dropped my line in until i reached the tangley bit. about 5 minutes of not achieving that much i felt a tug on my line, i squealed like prepubescent 10 year old and frantically began pulling in. this thing was not coming so easily, i only managed to regain about 5 feet of line next thing the fish decides it doesn't want to come up and dives back down suddenly, taking down some line with it and giving my un-gloved palms some "rope" burn. and get a firmer grip keeping it in place for some time and i readjust my position because i want to put my gloves back on, i place part of the line under my foot and another part in my mouth. as i was reaching out for my gloves i the fish dives back down fast and gives my teeth some good flossing. i pull my line back but alas no more resistance, no more fish, but it had helped me untangle most of my line thankfully. that's my "the one that got away" story. well having learned from my drastic mistake i put my gloves back on and we head on out to another spot close by, here i finally managed to catch something. it wasn't as exciting as the episode of the fish that wasn't caught, i just dropped my line, felt a tug, pulled up fast. i had landed a beautiful blue-spotted jack, it was about 65cm in length probably weighed about 8lbs. ah well it was an enjoyable day, i hope to get out in the water again soon.

but here's a tournament photo of my crew and i and with some of the fish we (well mostly them) caught.

http://www.billfishc...10/P1060145.JPG

Tree_

Tree_

<3's You Guys

• Retired Staff
  • 15,518 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:1
Hold on ... Your sig says your Australian.

lolcrica90

lolcrica90
  • Members
  • 2,033 posts
yeah that was when i was living in australia i was offered to use it and couldn't be bothered making my own. from 94-97 then 06-early 10 i lived in australia, that's approximately 6 years of my life, is that aussie enough for ya or not??? icon_smile.gif

x_byakugan_x

x_byakugan_x

holy shit I have a title

• Global Moderators
  • 4,913 posts
  • Steam ID:sfkingalpha
  • Xbox / GFWL:alphaferret415
  • PSN:alpha-ferret_415
  • Wii:Memorized?
  • Rofl-Rupees:9000
I've only fished once, and I enjoyed it. I would do it more but I live in a city.. I'd have to drive out somewhere to do some good fishing. Plus I don't know jack shit about it really. It was very relaxing and serene though.

QUOTE (Rickrolled @ Jan 10 2011, 04:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Love how the resident tough guy is happy to talk trash on an internet forum but back pedals as soon as he is called out. Typical coward. No doubt he'll respond to this with excessive bravado in order to restore his rightful place as a fully fledged internet badass.

I like to make werewolf...
MOVIES
bunny.jpg

JerH24

JerH24
  • Members
  • 232 posts
  • Interests:playing video games
  • PSN:JerH24
QUOTE (x_byakugan_x @ Jan 3 2011, 09:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've only fished once, and I enjoyed it. I would do it more but I live in a city.. I'd have to drive out somewhere to do some good fishing. Plus I don't know jack shit about it really. It was very relaxing and serene though.

i like fishing but i havent gone in a while

Nevermore

Nevermore
  • GA Private
  • 1,658 posts
  • Interests:Internets! Games! Music! Photography!
  • Gamer Army ID:1083
Theres a fine line between fishing and standing on the beach looking like a tool

lolcrica90

lolcrica90
  • Members
  • 2,033 posts
well i've gone out fishing again the past two weekends again.

weekend before last, went bottom fishing out in the lagoon again. weather was nice but the fishing didn't match up to it. we caught 5 fish total and i managed to catch one ending my 6 month dry spell. it was a green jobfish, decent size about 30cm. but we later ran out of bait so we ended up filleting one side of my fish and using it as bait. a shark also broke my line that day.

now this past weekend was an interesting experience. i finally went game fishing, looking to catch some marlin here in the marshall islands, another fishing tournament. so we move out around 6:30ish-7 in the morning and head out to the ocean to do some trolling. since it was my first time game fishing i was feeling pretty good about how the day would turn out. now trolling is basically letting some lures run out back from the boat, preferably past where the water is getting broken by the propellers, in the open ocean and the pacific ocean is pretty fucking big. so i was thinking we would be getting some action relatively quickly, but the day had almost passed and we had not gotten a single strike. it was BORING!! i cannot emphasize that word enough, sure it was nice to talk to the other crew and get to know new people but when you're out fishing and not catching any fish well the day can get very tedious. i had only three hours of sleep the previous night because i was coerced into going out, so there where times on the boat i was falling asleep standing up. well i decided to go and take a small nap inside the boats cabin and just as i was about step inside we get a hit. boom, it was like someone had jabbed me with a needle of adrenaline. one of the other crew gets on the rod with the marlin on it while the rest of us reeled in the others, so the lines wouldn't get tangled. out in the distance this marlin leaps out of the water, man that was something. after getting the other rods out of the way we help out the guy with the marlin on the line, as he reels in me and another crew pull the line inside the boat so as to assist him. now this marlin was strong, there was me and the other crew pulling the line + the guy on the rod, so there was 3 of us battling this one fish! and when this marlin fought back you had to hold onto that line for dear life, srsly these creatures are in their element here. we were pulling and pulling until it was probably 10 metres away from us, we could see it clearly now the captain reckoned it was about 200lbs. 5 metres away from landing it now, we could already taste the beer that was to be had back at shore, it swims up towards the boat splashing, diving, turning, doing anything it could to break free (magnificent sight). 3 metres, it struggles some more, suddenly the captain shouts "GIVE IT SOME SLACK!!" and soon after we feel less tension on the line, pulling pulling, no more resistance. FUCK!! all day we had nothing and after all that effort still nothing. but man did that adrenaline boost wake us up, the rest of the day i managed to stay awake. at the weigh in too we found out that had we caught that marlin we would've won the tournament. a disappointing result but i would still count it as a fun day, and hope to do it again in the future. unfortunately i couldn't get pictures this time round because my nikon d90 is not waterproof. well that first marlin is still out there, swimming free, i hope to catch it soon enough.

ShiZ

ShiZ
  • Members
  • 2,160 posts
Hey man do much fishing south of you? i used to go out around innisfail, atherton etc but these days im in townsville and not sure where the better spots are. rather not have only the ross river to hit up haha.

never been a serious enough fisher (barely at all, just appreciate the sport) to go marlin fishing but sounds like a good day out. too bad about that missed marlin tho!

Edited by ShiZ, 25 February 2011 - 09:53 AM.

Andrack

Andrack
  • GA Private
  • 2,037 posts
  • PSN:Andrack64
  • Gamer Army ID:1202
  • Company:Kilo
QUOTE (Nevermore @ Feb 5 2011, 01:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Theres a fine line between fishing and standing on the beach looking like a tool

lol wut? y u mad bro?

Anyone else fly fish? Its fun. Last time I did it I was in a state park and there were some college kids (I was around 14-16 at the time) just watching me. Shit was awkward.

JerH24

JerH24
  • Members
  • 232 posts
  • Interests:playing video games
  • PSN:JerH24
QUOTE (Andrack @ Feb 25 2011, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
lol wut? y u mad bro?

Anyone else fly fish? Its fun. Last time I did it I was in a state park and there were some college kids (I was around 14-16 at the time) just watching me. Shit was awkward.

ive never gone fly fishing

FunkyMonkey

FunkyMonkey
  • Members
  • 487 posts
  • xfire:vliegendehollander7
  • Xbox / GFWL:lmao
  • PSN:roflpop
  • Wii:lol
Never went fishing because it never really interested me... maybe i should go fishing in the summer, might be good to have a different hobby than sitting in front of my pc all day icon_smile.gif

lolcrica90

lolcrica90
  • Members
  • 2,033 posts
QUOTE (ShiZ @ Feb 26 2011, 12:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey man do much fishing south of you? i used to go out around innisfail, atherton etc but these days im in townsville and not sure where the better spots are. rather not have only the ross river to hit up haha.

never been a serious enough fisher (barely at all, just appreciate the sport) to go marlin fishing but sounds like a good day out. too bad about that missed marlin tho!

went to magnetic island on a school camp trip once, went fishing there as well. caught two small ones, probably not big enough to cook though i think. and that was basically the only time i was fishing in FNQ. no such restrictions here in the marshalls, all you need is to have a boat or know someone who has a boat. not really that serious about fishing, but up here there's not much else to do so when you have a chance to get off the island you take it lol.

Nevermore

Nevermore
  • GA Private
  • 1,658 posts
  • Interests:Internets! Games! Music! Photography!
  • Gamer Army ID:1083
QUOTE (Andrack @ Feb 26 2011, 04:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
lol wut? y u mad bro?

One of my Uncle's on the fishing team for Scotland, his house has many fly filled frames

I've done some fishing in my time, nothing serious,..

Srsly, XXXX Fishing Charter 2010

lolcrica90

lolcrica90
  • Members
  • 2,033 posts
went fishing about 3 weeks ago, just really slow in bothering to upload the photos. but we (ie not me) caught two mahi mahi, here's one of them. and last weekend there was another billfish tournament, biggest was a 430lbs black marlin. so heavy it took two attempts to weigh it becuase it broke the pully first time round.

Jimmy Rabbitte

Jimmy Rabbitte
  • GA Private
  • 1,639 posts
  • Steam ID:100sph
  • Gamer Army ID:3335
  • Company:Delta
I go fly fishing with my old man all the time, mostly for trout, salmon and steelhead. Also I've dug for geoducks, gone crab potting, caught flounder, dogfish, and bass.
The Blackman is God

Joby

Joby

I love it when a plan comes together.

• Retired Staff
  • 6,544 posts
  • xfire:joby67
  • Interests:Well a young man<br />He ain't got nothin' in the world these days<br />I said a young man<br />Ain't got nothin' in the world these days
  • Steam ID:purepwnagejoby
  • Wii:0958641680091840
I read this as fistin'...

oh boy.
QUOTE (Plasmic Fury @ Oct 30 2010, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
brb not picking up any woman

A completely unbiased review...

lolcrica90

lolcrica90
  • Members
  • 2,033 posts
spent last weekend in aur, marshall islands with friends. charted a fishing boat for a killer rate of $2500 tops, 6 of us so that came down to $420 each for 3 days of fishing. a really really beautiful part of the world. the island we were camping on had an amazing reef. you could practically find clams the size of a basketball 15 feet out. we ate clam shells, spider konch, and octopus and fresh fish the whole time. fucking amazing fishing out there. anyway here's an album:

http://www.mypublish...p;showForm=true

also @nevermore what do you use to keep your camera dry on the boat?

alvinwilliams46

alvinwilliams46
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • xfire:peterdgillis33
  • Interests:surfing the net
I love to go fishing with my dad every weekend, it's a sort of a bonding with him and it's really fun aside of relaxing it's also enjoy specially if we catch big fish. Next week if we have time maybe we can go fishing again.. am excited already. icon_smile.gif
Jurmaine Health - Neuropsychologist, Pediatrics Neuropsychology, Chiropractic, Active Release Technique, Functional Movement Screen, Psychologist and Counselling - Jurmaine Health is a new centre for brain and body improvement.

spiri7ussancti

spiri7ussancti
  • Members
  • 612 posts
  • Steam ID:spiri7us sancti
  • Xbox / GFWL:spiri7us sancti
  • Wii:lolololol
I really should go fishing again soon. Make a trip, grab some friends. Would be fun.

Besides, all my grandpas old fishing shit is going to waste.

This is spam.. but it's pretty good. - Byakugan

x_byakugan_x

x_byakugan_x

holy shit I have a title

• Global Moderators
  • 4,913 posts
  • Steam ID:sfkingalpha
  • Xbox / GFWL:alphaferret415
  • PSN:alpha-ferret_415
  • Wii:Memorized?
  • Rofl-Rupees:9000
Looks like a bot, posts like a bot... but no links. Leaving it alone cause typing this is faster than going through the 7 or so steps to disable posting.

QUOTE (Rickrolled @ Jan 10 2011, 04:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Love how the resident tough guy is happy to talk trash on an internet forum but back pedals as soon as he is called out. Typical coward. No doubt he'll respond to this with excessive bravado in order to restore his rightful place as a fully fledged internet badass.

I like to make werewolf...
MOVIES
bunny.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users