Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mass Effect 3!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Giluc

Giluc
  • GA Private
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:Consoles lol
  • Steam ID:Giluc
  • Xbox / GFWL:GilucZ
  • Wii:4205091662810049
  • Rofl-Rupees:1
  • Gamer Army ID:4128
  • Company:Eta
Hey guys!

Okay so I'm hopefully not the only person here waiting for this game, right? I mean, Mass Effect 2 was so awesome in every single way, I cannot imagine this being any worse. After all, it's BioWare. However, there's a very simple reason to why this should be the best game in the series: The series is a trilogy. This means that Mass Effect 2 was only an "intermediary" in the series, and it kicked so much ass that now, with the final culmination and an epic end to the series (even though I'm pretty sure we will see some spin-off games or maybe a whole new series in the Mass Effect universe), it is going to be intense of dimensions that cannot even be described here.

Anybody else who's excited pp_smiley4.gif ?

I LIKE
CHOCOLATE MILK

j-tak

j-tak
  • GA Private
  • 1,328 posts
  • xfire:cky852k
  • Steam ID:cky852k
  • Xbox / GFWL:jojo852k
  • PSN:jojo852k
  • Gamer Army ID:153
  • Company:Gamma
QUOTE (Giluc @ Dec 12 2010, 01:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anybody else who's excited pp_smiley4.gif ?

Me, very much so.

kmjnhb

kmjnhb
  • Members
  • 2,327 posts
  • xfire:kmjnhb
  • Interests:games, world history, mythology, religion and culture, anime, food.
  • Steam ID:Hallvardgn
  • Xbox / GFWL:BEER4Hallvard
Not a big fan of sci-fi, but the first 2 Mass Effect games were good. So looking forward to 3.

PwnDaddy123

PwnDaddy123

Best film & movies contributor '09

• Members
  • 6,040 posts
  • xfire:teh0ass0kicker
  • Interests:mothers
  • Steam ID:joeyestcool
  • Xbox / GFWL:more like gaylo
  • PSN:ballin
  • Wii:lol fkin dildo
  • Rofl-Rupees:5
I didn't like that shitty as hell trailer they showed yesterday at the VGAs.

QUOTE (GtuFest @ Sep 19 2012, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
SITMOS is great, one of my favorite podcasts.

Xayun

Xayun

Wisest Poster '09

• GA Private
  • 2,732 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:2492
QUOTE (Giluc @ Dec 12 2010, 01:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I mean, Mass Effect 2 was so awesome in every single way

I'm not sure I'd go that far

Looking forward to ME3 though, I'm wondering if the Future Jason Statham Man in the trailer is a potential playable character if your Shepard died in ME2

shunted

shunted
  • Members
  • 2,400 posts
  • xfire:360shunted
  • Steam ID:shunted
  • Xbox / GFWL:shunted
  • PSN:shunted
QUOTE (Xayun @ Dec 12 2010, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sure I'd go that far

Looking forward to ME3 though, I'm wondering if the Future Jason Statham Man in the trailer is a potential playable character if your Shepard died in ME2

everyone of your posts lately have been getting better and better

DarkKitchen

DarkKitchen
  • Members
  • 1,894 posts
QUOTE (Giluc @ Dec 12 2010, 07:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I mean, Mass Effect 2 was so awesome in every single way, I cannot imagine this being any worse. After all, it's BioWare.

Man this sentence is so god damn retarded fucking shit man fuck

ME2 was not good and BioWare hasn't made a good game in a while

Giluc

Giluc
  • GA Private
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:Consoles lol
  • Steam ID:Giluc
  • Xbox / GFWL:GilucZ
  • Wii:4205091662810049
  • Gamer Army ID:4128
  • Company:Eta
lol, seriously? Yeah I know some people didn't like it, but in my book it's definitely one of the, if not the, best game of the decade. I can't see any flaws at all.

I LIKE
CHOCOLATE MILK

shunted

shunted
  • Members
  • 2,400 posts
  • xfire:360shunted
  • Steam ID:shunted
  • Xbox / GFWL:shunted
  • PSN:shunted
QUOTE (Giluc @ Dec 12 2010, 06:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
lol, seriously? Yeah I know some people didn't like it, but in my book it's definitely one of the, if not the, best game of the decade. I can't see any flaws at all.

you think wrong

Patchy

Patchy
  • Members
  • 551 posts
  • Steam ID:Kilo November
Optimistic. I haven't played ME 2 yet, but I played the shit out of 1. I found the story and universe compelling, and I actually gave a damn about what was going on around me - which feels rare to me these days. Most games are just moving pictures and colours that I shoot at with stupid stories I don't give a shit about. Gameplay is a mixed bag: the moving, cover, and action flows nicely but the AI is awful. Like, retarded awful. All veteran and insanity playthroughs just feel like a babysitting session while you meticulously try to place your partners in tactically advantageous positions with an unresponsive and sloppy command system. This just results in them getting torn up anyway because they're too dumb to take cover and they move around too much. There needs to be a "TAKE COVER NOW, ASSHOLE" command. I've heard Mass Effect 2 has improved the partner AI, and I really hope it's true.

Either way, Mass Effect 1 was a very enjoyable experience, and my friend whose opinion about things like this I actually respect has told me I will not be disappointed with Mass Effect 2. So, in turn, hopefully 3 delivers. I don't think they'll drop the ball. Hopefully it has an epic voice cast as well.
I'm right behind you, Mr. Denton.

Seri

Seri
  • Members
  • 9 posts
Now that it's been out for a while, what do you think about it?

Guest_Rakielis_*

Guest_Rakielis_*
  • Guests
i haven't played it, and i dont really care too. talked a lot about this ending stuff. i think they could have done a MUCH better job with little effort.

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:way2lazy2care
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
QUOTE (Rakielis @ Mar 20 2012, 04:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i haven't played it, and i dont really care too. talked a lot about this ending stuff. i think they could have done a MUCH better job with little effort.

Probably, but I think a lot of people are totally overreacting. At the end of the day the endings aren't out of place in the story, people are just pissed that every decision they made wasn't reflected in the ending. I am not too fussed about that because if they'd done that it would have just been a really awkward ending like the end of LOTR:ROTK.

You don't need to fill every plothole. Inception owes a lot of it's success to the fact that it left a huge plot hole open.
SPAMBOTSTOOKOVERMYSITE D:
Give me LoL Referals.

QUOTE (Virus52 @ Mar 3 2008, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ALL HAIL THE GREAT AND MIGHTY MOTH!

QUOTE (SN3S @ May 6 2008, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No sensuality; this is all for fitness.

Guest_Rakielis_*

Guest_Rakielis_*
  • Guests
i think peopl weren't satisfied because NONE of the things you did are in the ending. you do all this stuff and get there and its just like "well here are 3 endings, which one do you want."

as for inception... what plot hole?

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
QUOTE (Rakielis @ Mar 20 2012, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i think peopl weren't satisfied because NONE of the things you did are in the ending. you do all this stuff and get there and its just like "well here are 3 endings, which one do you want."

Really the only place it would have made sense to stick anything in would have been in the conversation with the illusive man, but even then his conversation with the reaper kid would have been pretty much the same.

I actually think it kind of highlights the fact that it's a no win situation by boiling it down to 3 choices you don't want to make. The only thing I think they should have done that differently was maybe make a no-action timed option that ended with pretty much everything you did being for nothing.

as for inception... what plot hole?

the top at the end. People wouldn't have talked about the movie nearly as much if the top fell over. Leaving stuff open to interpretation leaves stuff open for discussion and makes the experience more personal.
Give me LoL Referals.

Guest_Rakielis_*

Guest_Rakielis_*
  • Guests
its not open to interpretation though. there is a solution. nolan said so himself and its already been solved. spoilers: the top is mals totem, not his. his totem is his wedding ring. in all the dream sequences, its there. in all the "real" world scenes, its not there. at the end of the movie, he doesn't have his ring on. you can tell because he flashes his left hand up before putting it on the chair to show the whole hand.

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
QUOTE (Rakielis @ Mar 21 2012, 03:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
nolan said so himself and its already been solved. spoilers: the top is mals totem, not his. his totem is his wedding ring. in all the dream sequences, its there. in all the "real" world scenes, its not there. at the end of the movie, he doesn't have his ring on. you can tell because he flashes his left hand up before putting it on the chair to show the whole hand.

The only requirement for a totem is that you be the only person that has intimate knowledge of it. After his wife died he could have easily replaced his totem with hers.

Nolan said quite specifically that he made it open to interpretation in at least 2 ways, most likely the everything is a dream vs. 'reality' is reality ways. There's at least 6 different interpretations that don't have any contradictions in the film that I've heard, though some make less sense.

That's very much the point. He designed a huge hole for people to fill with their own interpretations and people can still argue over what they think is in that hole.
Give me LoL Referals.

Guest_Rakielis_*

Guest_Rakielis_*
  • Guests
lets get back on topic. i disagree with you, but whatever.

i just think mass effect could have wrapped up things with all the character you saved a lot better than what was given to us. i dont think people felt like all the work they put into the game mattered. that any person could easily get the same ending they did. the whole draw to mass effect was that we were finally getting away from that.

Spowis

Spowis
  • GA Private
  • 1,261 posts
  • Interests:FPS.
  • Steam ID:spowis
  • Xbox / GFWL:smpowis
  • PSN:smpowis
  • Rofl-Rupees:0
  • Gamer Army ID:4794
On Inception: It was the real world at the end of the film; I remember Caine saying something about how the scenes that he is in, that those are reality.

On ME3:

Without posting up mass spoilers, follow my link:

Yeah, so if that's what every intricate outcome, every assignment, the party members you've interacted with over the three games, the countless trips roaming around the Citadel, the scanning of the keepers, the romance subplots, the loyalty missions is all narrowed down to, then what a crock of horseshit that is.

I also find it completely mind-blowing that you can't even obtain the most successful outcome if you only play the single-player content once, the only way to do so without touching Multiplayer is to play through the entire game again for the sake of a fucking multiplier stat to jump from .50 to .75 - whereas if you spend a few hours licking your screen, mashing your controllers and facerolling your keyboards, you can get the full 100% Readiness. Of course, all of that is basically worthless anyway as at present, it's not as if your ending will be stored for any form of continuation of the game, nor will the countless hours of multiplayer or an entire playthrough's effort be enough to make up for what extras you obtain from doing so, which is this:
http://www.youtube.c...t...Bg&t=24m33s

When you take that into perspective after watching Shepard take a breath, which might I also add can be obtained from only ONE of the endings (because as the Catalyst states, choosing to control the Reapears or "Synthesise" the world will effectively get you killed); doesn't seem like going to the extra effort now really, does it?

Not sure how literate this post was, but I am glad as hell I never paid for this, it was a fun title, some parts were improved, others I couldn't give a flying Hulk Hogan about, but ultimately with such a piss-poor resolution to what all of your efforts culminated to, they might as well have just had added in a 3 minute gif of some Bioware rep throwing bundles of money onto a fireplace and cackling away. As much as I also HATE the ending, I cannot see how all of the people protesting on the BSN is going to cause Bioware to resolve all of the potential outcomes that I personally would like to see - if it was something along the lines of a Dragon Age: Origins slideshow with some text/images and call that the canon option, then great, but some people on that site are demanding work on the game which is just INSANE.

Yahtzee also put a vid up today about ME3 which I chuckled about:
http://www.escapistm...7-Mass-Effect-3

END OF THOUGHTS.

Left_4_Dead_Signature_by_Sitic.png

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
QUOTE (Rakielis @ Mar 21 2012, 05:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i just think mass effect could have wrapped up things with all the character you saved a lot better than what was given to us. i dont think people felt like all the work they put into the game mattered. that any person could easily get the same ending they did.

Did you not consider that maybe that was the entire point of the ending? Do you not realize the dramatic impact of your character being put in a situation where none of your decisions matter in a series that prides itself on decisions that matter? Sure they could have just jerked off everybody to give them all the endings each player wanted, but the ending would have had much less meaning.

The message that, no matter what you choose, you will not end up with the ending you want is hugely significant.

the whole draw to mass effect was that we were finally getting away from that.

Giving players the ending they want is pretty standard. It was a larger departure from the norm to have the balls to put players in a position that will upset them.

Of course, all of that is basically worthless anyway as at present, it's not as if your ending will be stored for any form of continuation of the game, nor will the countless hours of multiplayer or an entire playthrough's effort be enough to make up for what extras you obtain from doing so, which is this:

Oh please, people replayed halo on legendary just to see Johnson and an Elite hug.
Give me LoL Referals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users