Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Need A New Headset

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

BlG_BALLS

BlG_BALLS
  • Members
  • 222 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:autoplay
I received em yesterday,and my initial impression of em....junk! I fiddled with em a tad,the settings etc,but for the price,they suck! My 5.1 turtles outperform em as far as true directional sounds,and are far more comfortable.

I'll be sending them back on monday.

Kazaii

Kazaii
  • Members
  • 318 posts
  • Steam ID:cc_lyger
  • Xbox / GFWL:Sgt Kaz
  • PSN:Kazaii
QUOTE (BlG_BALLS @ Dec 24 2010, 01:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I received em yesterday,and my initial impression of em....junk! I fiddled with em a tad,the settings etc,but for the price,they suck! My 5.1 turtles outperform em as far as true directional sounds,and are far more comfortable.

I'll be sending them back on monday.

Shame you feel that way. But yeah I'd agree on the comfort issue. Now I need a new sound card, I was thinking about getting the x-fi fatal1ty titanium professional, yet I'm unaware of any other alternatives. I almost bought my gf the Asus Xonar STX for christmas, since she is an audiophile with her sr-80's, where I really am just looking for a decent surround sound solution. Can anyone throw me some suggestions for sound cards.

!~Orky's BF~!
%~Original_Sin's Best Friend~%
^~Byak's nemesis~^
*~The only person who thinks CakeCom is good looking~*
$~Jaylew likes me~$
@~Best Wardrobe October 2012~@
)~Greatest King of Jerusalem all years~(

Kazzerax

Kazzerax

FUCK!

• Retired Staff
  • 4,859 posts
  • xfire:kazzerax
  • Interests:Counter-Strike, Chess, computer hardware, music, literature, film and philosophy.
  • Steam ID:kazzerax
  • Gamer Army ID:764
"-You may tell me if 5.1 audio in headphones is a bust, because I'm unaware."
Why put this in there if you're just going to disregard it?
Kazzerax
MOTHERFUCKING ENTITY OF THE WORLD
A PORTION OF GLORIOUS THOUGHT
ELECTRICITY SHAPED TO REASON
FORGED THROUGH THE FIRES OF LIFE
BROUGHT TO BEAR ON CHAOS TO IMPOSE WILL UPON AN UNCARING AND INDIFFERENT UNIVERSE
TO FORGE FROM NOTHING, SOMETHING
Beautiful

Sir_Slik

Sir_Slik
  • Members
  • 1,135 posts
x-fi
xonar
auzen tech
The lunacy of today is the genius of tomorrow.

R.I.P. Troy <3

Kazaii

Kazaii
  • Members
  • 318 posts
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ Dec 25 2010, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"-You may tell me if 5.1 audio in headphones is a bust, because I'm unaware."
Why put this in there if you're just going to disregard it?

Seriously? The thread is also titled "recommendations necessary", not "Tell me what to buy". I put what you quoted in there to see if there is some disgusting info that would completely steer me away from a purchase. All I read was "too expensive, quality isn't as great for the $, not an audiophile's choice". I didn't read 'simply doesn't work, causes cancer, Scientology endorses it'. The purpose of the thread was to become more informed, and I feel I have. I didn't simply disregard it, it made my choice harder and I really did weigh the options, to the point where I stared at the fatal1ty headset @ canada computers for 20 minutes looking like a space cadet before I made my purchase; However, I have been impressed enough by the replies to plan a purchase of a nice pair of stereo headphones down the road, just to see what I'm actually missing.
Sorry I didn't say "Everybody in dis forum uses dis headset? Jarett uses dis headset? Gotta buy nao!" Instead I just learned what I could, made my decision, and now I'm craving more info so I'm reading the audio thread on this forum in attempt to learn more about the subject. Perhaps I'll change my standpoint down the road, but for now I am happy with my purchase.

Edited by Kazaii, 25 December 2010 - 03:21 PM.

!~Orky's BF~!
^~Byak's nemesis~^
$~Jaylew likes me~$

Kazzerax

Kazzerax

FUCK!

• Retired Staff
  • 4,859 posts
  • xfire:kazzerax
  • Interests:Counter-Strike, Chess, computer hardware, music, literature, film and philosophy.
  • Steam ID:kazzerax
  • Gamer Army ID:764
The only reason I said anything is because a few years ago I purchases Razer Barracuda 5.1 headphones. And they fucking blew. They crackled if you moved the cord, mic stopped working, lots of creaking noises if you turn your head, poor gaming performance compared to my new headphones [ath-a700s]. I just feel bad when I see people making the same mistake I did except theirs costs $30 more icon_sad.gif
Kazzerax
MOTHERFUCKING ENTITY OF THE WORLD
A PORTION OF GLORIOUS THOUGHT
ELECTRICITY SHAPED TO REASON
FORGED THROUGH THE FIRES OF LIFE
BROUGHT TO BEAR ON CHAOS TO IMPOSE WILL UPON AN UNCARING AND INDIFFERENT UNIVERSE
TO FORGE FROM NOTHING, SOMETHING
Beautiful

Kazaii

Kazaii
  • Members
  • 318 posts
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ Dec 25 2010, 05:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only reason I said anything is because a few years ago I purchases Razer Barracuda 5.1 headphones. And they fucking blew. They crackled if you moved the cord, mic stopped working, lots of creaking noises if you turn your head, poor gaming performance compared to my new headphones [ath-a700s]. I just feel bad when I see people making the same mistake I did except theirs costs $30 more icon_sad.gif

Well that I understand. That's where my research end kicked in. This thread, along with the other thread linked, showed me that both Razer and Tritton products are shit. My headset is the only one properly made to produce true 5.1 surround sound; However, it creates this effect at the cost of not being a solid pair of headphones. I would describe my headset as a 5.1 speaker setup simulating a headset, rather than the opposite.

Edited by Kazaii, 25 December 2010 - 10:17 PM.

!~Orky's BF~!
^~Byak's nemesis~^
$~Jaylew likes me~$

magadheera

magadheera
  • Members
  • 2 posts
Logitech ClearChat Wireless PC Headset

* $96.94

Jonny WEB Tech

Jonny WEB Tech
  • Members
  • 18 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:Jonny WEB Tech
I've had great performance from Tritton headsets on PC and Xbox
Tritton Technologies

Kazaii

Kazaii
  • Members
  • 318 posts
QUOTE (Jonny WEB Tech @ Jan 1 2011, 01:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tritton Technologies

Yeah but they're not true surround sound like they state. It's all in one direction sound.
!~Orky's BF~!
^~Byak's nemesis~^
$~Jaylew likes me~$

retrovirus

retrovirus
  • Members
  • 830 posts
  • xfire:r3troviru5
  • Interests:sc2
im currently running a zero dac with ath-m50s and hd555s. Is there anything to the mixamps from astro and/or the x-fi cards that help with the virtual surround?

Gamer_Tyler

Gamer_Tyler
  • GA Private
  • 577 posts
  • xfire:tukimoshi
  • Steam ID:tukimoshi
  • Gamer Army ID:3732
  • Company:Alpha
QUOTE (Jonny WEB Tech @ Jan 1 2011, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tritton Technologies

My experience with "gamer" headphones like Astro, Tritton, Turtle-Beach, etc, is that they spend a lot more effort on marketing than quality.

Dr. Dre has sucked a large portion of the marketing into a scheme where people think "Wow, these $220 earbuds sound so great!" when a $80 Shure equivalent would rape them to hell.
I mean, they even charge what... $350 for an iPod Dock? You won't even notice the difference between the docks if you don't have all your music encoded properly and at a high enough bit-rate, so it's a waste of money.

It feels like the EA Sports fiasco all over again (Shit Games + Lots of marketing = SO MUCH MONEY)

The Fatal1ty headphones are the only "gamer" headphones I would consider decent. They can easily become overpriced though if you don't get a deal on them (Similar priced HD555s would rape them) but atleast they are built by a respectable company like Creative.

So the lesson here: Stick with reputable audio brands rather than the "cool gamer" brand. Grado, Shure, Audio-Technica, Sennheiser, they know their shit.

Edited by Gamer_Tyler, 11 February 2011 - 06:30 PM.

Sir_Slik

Sir_Slik
  • Members
  • 1,135 posts
X-fi has good virtual surround for headphones, their speaker surround mixing is pretty good too but I'd say their headphone surround is the ace card for them.
The lunacy of today is the genius of tomorrow.

R.I.P. Troy <3

Edgeworth

Edgeworth
  • Members
  • 182 posts
  • xfire:ejwerf
  • Interests:Making music, gaming, sports.
On the subject of headphones, what is the Steelseries Siberia v2 like? I'm just interested, they look pretty.

Also to go with my normal sennheiser headphones, would a clip-on mic be best? I'm somewhat bored of having my headset on the table while i'm playing. It gets in the way :<
[Objection!]

retrovirus

retrovirus
  • Members
  • 830 posts
  • xfire:r3troviru5
  • Interests:sc2
Clip on mics work really well. the general consensus is the zalman clip on microphone.

x_byakugan_x

x_byakugan_x

holy shit I have a title

• Global Moderators
  • 4,868 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:alphaferret415
  • PSN:alpha-ferret_415
  • Wii:Memorized?
  • Rofl-Rupees:None
http://www.astrogami...78/A30-Headset/

I have this one, which I got for FREE from a friend that works at Astro.

QUOTE (Rickrolled @ Jan 10 2011, 04:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Love how the resident tough guy is happy to talk trash on an internet forum but back pedals as soon as he is called out. Typical coward. No doubt he'll respond to this with excessive bravado in order to restore his rightful place as a fully fledged internet badass.

I like to make werewolf...
MOVIES
bunny.jpg

Rboy93

Rboy93
  • GA Captain
  • 1,283 posts
  • xfire:Rboy93
  • Interests:Pwning n00bs, Metal and Rugby
  • Steam ID:PPGA_Rboy93
  • Wii:5944744510180013
  • Gamer Army ID:3611
  • Company:Pi
Logitech G930, a bit pricey but worth EVERY cent.

Pwning is my buisness... And buisness is good!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users