Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

League Of Legends

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

FrostFenix

FrostFenix
  • Members
  • 65 posts
  • xfire:frostfenix
  • Interests:Video games of course, trying to train to start pwning it up on any game I currently own, and working on to get, still looking for an MMO except for WoW to play >_>
  • Rofl-Rupees:1
QUOTE (x_byakugan_x @ Nov 12 2010, 06:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So how about that starcraft 2 SOTIS...

This made me lul

Aiming for the top ~ working to be the best.

Brenner

Brenner
  • GA Sergeant
  • 1,304 posts
  • Interests:pwning n00bs
  • Steam ID:RedElite14
  • Xbox / GFWL:Brenner14
  • PSN:RBrenner
  • Wii:7811616637693823
  • Gamer Army ID:101
HoN player here.

Never played LoL or DotA, though I intend to buy DotA2. Based on what I know about LoL, though, I'd recommend that anyone who's interested in competitive gaming check out HoN first. LoL removes a lot of depth from the gameplay and no matter what anyone else tells you, the game-proper isn't free. You get a new demo every week, that's about it.

HoN is made by S2Games and they're a pretty good dev studio... The big 2.0 patch today is actually adding a lot of new features designed to attract LoL players, one of which being microtransactions (for aesthetic things ONLY) and the other being Casual Mode. The fact that HoN's attempt of emulating LoL gameplay is called Casual Mode is really all that you need to consider in order to know which is the more competitive of the two games. The pro community has embraced HoN, and pending the release of DotA2, it's the definitive game in the genre, imo.

My name's Brenner in-game. I have a couple free-trial-week codes to give out, so just ask if you're interested. The community for HoN is notoriously cruel so I'd also be willing to help you out if you're new to the genre or transitioning from LoL, because you will be raged at pretty hard, lol.

Dr.Toker

Dr.Toker

MoTM Dec 07| Teh Tokerer | Best GA Contributor 08 & 09

• GA Brigadier General
  • 2,215 posts
  • xfire:doctortoker
  • Interests:Computers, pwning noobs, pwning my GF,
  • PSN:ShadyToker
  • Wii:5719241413012107
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:102
QUOTE (Brenner @ Dec 13 2010, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
HoN player here.

Never played LoL or DotA, though I intend to buy DotA2. Based on what I know about LoL, though, I'd recommend that anyone who's interested in competitive gaming check out HoN first. LoL removes a lot of depth from the gameplay and no matter what anyone else tells you, the game-proper isn't free. You get a new demo every week, that's about it.

HoN is made by S2Games and they're a pretty good dev studio... The big 2.0 patch today is actually adding a lot of new features designed to attract LoL players, one of which being microtransactions (for aesthetic things ONLY) and the other being Casual Mode. The fact that HoN's attempt of emulating LoL gameplay is called Casual Mode is really all that you need to consider in order to know which is the more competitive of the two games. The pro community has embraced HoN, and pending the release of DotA2, it's the definitive game in the genre, imo.

My name's Brenner in-game. I have a couple free-trial-week codes to give out, so just ask if you're interested. The community for HoN is notoriously cruel so I'd also be willing to help you out if you're new to the genre or transitioning from LoL, because you will be raged at pretty hard, lol.

BREBBER!!!!!! PM me fool!! We all thought you were dead lol.

Tree_

Tree_

<3's You Guys

• Retired Staff
  • 15,518 posts
QUOTE (Brenner @ Dec 14 2010, 10:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My name's Brenner in-game. I have a couple free-trial-week codes to give out, so just ask if you're interested.

Hook me up with 2 if you can, would love to have another crack. Haven't played since Beta.

LysIs514

LysIs514

Best RTS Contributor '09

• Members
  • 670 posts
lol brenner

LoL doesn't remove depth from the game. To argue otherwise is acting like an elitist asshole for playing a different game. LoL is definitely easier but in strategic value they are too different to compare.

AltCtrl: if i was gonna play ra3 i might as well go play wizard 101 too

Brenner

Brenner
  • GA Sergeant
  • 1,304 posts
  • Interests:pwning n00bs
  • Steam ID:RedElite14
  • Xbox / GFWL:Brenner14
  • PSN:RBrenner
  • Wii:7811616637693823
  • Gamer Army ID:101
QUOTE (LysIs514 @ Dec 13 2010, 08:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
lol brenner

LoL doesn't remove depth from the game. To argue otherwise is acting like an elitist asshole for playing a different game. LoL is definitely easier but in strategic value they are too different to compare.

You agree that the game is easier. While I could continue to argue my point, I guess that's really all I'm trying to establish anyway.

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:way2lazy2care
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
If you think Runes don't matter, you are wrong. They matter differently at varying parts of the game depending on the type you get, but they make a HUGE difference. My old ryze build's rune set gave him close to +30 damage on one of his skills at level 1 before items and it can hit multiple times. When you have ~400-500 health that's the difference between winning an early gank and losing it. Likewise, 25 armor from runes gives you 20% damage reduction from physical attacks at level 1 with no items. For late game a lot of people take Rank 1 and 2 runes blow, but rank 3 runes can make a huge difference.

and the game is free. All you need to play competitively is one physical DPS champion, one tank, and one magical damage burst champion and you'll be solid for pretty much every game. You can buy all three of those after probably 2 weeks (you'll probably be able to buy your first of those after a week of light playing). If you need to spend money on this game to be competitive you are bad and that is coming from a not-great player. TheShadowNinja started playing this game around the start of season one I think, and he probably has as good a set up as I do and I've been playing for a year almost. And no I do not consider the time I put into having fun in a game as a cost to myself. If I felt the game was more work than fun I would stop playing like I did with WoW.

As far as free games go it's a damn good game. Try it, it's not like it costs you anything and it runs on shitty laptops (why I play). They add new champions/items and patch the game every couple weeks, so there's a continuous flow of content. I'd recommend playing with friends, because easily the most frustrating part of the game is that some of the players are just terrible.
SPAMBOTSTOOKOVERMYSITE D:
Give me LoL Referals.

QUOTE (Virus52 @ Mar 3 2008, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ALL HAIL THE GREAT AND MIGHTY MOTH!

QUOTE (SN3S @ May 6 2008, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No sensuality; this is all for fitness.

Maeode

Maeode
  • GA Corporal
  • 313 posts
  • xfire:Maeode
  • Xbox / GFWL:Maeode
  • PSN:Maeode
  • Wii:2271588486434381
  • Gamer Army ID:103
I see this debate going on all over the place, and honestly dont understand it... I think it comes down to the definition of 'free'

to me 'free' means it costs me no money. therefore I look at LoL and consider it free, because to play and be competitive with others you dont have to spend a penny (except an active internet connection, oh no a hidden fee!)

'time' is not a cost, because I spend 'time' on games that cost money or otherwise. if one free game gives you all the content immediately it isn't any more 'free' than another free game that makes you level up through an experience system, as long as neither requires money to be played

As for HoN vs LoL, i've tried both, but ultimately settled on LoL because my Aion guild is very active in LoL icon_smile.gif They are very different games, so if you can try both and decide for yourself which you prefer! (although you have nothing to lose by trying LoL as it's free to play, HoN would require some sort of trial code, or purchase of the game)

Drunken

Drunken
  • Members
  • 31 posts
Well , iīm a LoL player atm (Gonna get dota2)

There are some things about it that i really dont like , but hey , all my friends are playing lol and i dont want to be a douche.

Things i dont like:

- Wtf is wrong with the new heros , is it just me or are they running out of ideas? Havent seen one in a while that i wanted to buy right away.
- I played dota for a long time and i never reaaaally felt comfortable with most of the lol heros.
- Runes .. cīmon , i want my illu-rune back.
- Tryndamere.

Things i like about it:

- Atmosphere
- You meet a lot of people around here that play LoL , some hotties too. (Have met like 20 random people now that play LoL , great convo/flirt starter icon_wink.gif .)
- "Hey , wanne play LoL?" "Uh , dont have money to buy games atm" "ITS FREE!" "Ulululul, downloading it right now."
- Veigar.
- Since its not that competitive and serious its playable while beeing drunk or sleepy.

I guess its not about the gameplay but about beeing able to play it with anyone that wants to and having a good time with my friends , i never really played it without a group.
But thats just me.

postspenis9jeyn8bf3mj6nsj5.jpg

FrostFenix

FrostFenix
  • Members
  • 65 posts
  • xfire:frostfenix
  • Interests:Video games of course, trying to train to start pwning it up on any game I currently own, and working on to get, still looking for an MMO except for WoW to play &gt;_&gt;
QUOTE (Drunken @ Jan 29 2011, 09:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well , iīm a LoL player atm (Gonna get dota2)

There are some things about it that i really dont like , but hey , all my friends are playing lol and i dont want to be a douche.

Things i dont like:

- Wtf is wrong with the new heros , is it just me or are they running out of ideas? Havent seen one in a while that i wanted to buy right away.
- I played dota for a long time and i never reaaaally felt comfortable with most of the lol heros.
- Runes .. cīmon , i want my illu-rune back.
- Tryndamere.

Things i like about it:

- Atmosphere
- You meet a lot of people around here that play LoL , some hotties too. (Have met like 20 random people now that play LoL , great convo/flirt starter icon_wink.gif .)
- "Hey , wanne play LoL?" "Uh , dont have money to buy games atm" "ITS FREE!" "Ulululul, downloading it right now."
- Veigar.
- Since its not that competitive and serious its playable while beeing drunk or sleepy.

I guess its not about the gameplay but about beeing able to play it with anyone that wants to and having a good time with my friends , i never really played it without a group.
But thats just me.

Tryndamere makes the baddies /rage, but im surprised its not Garen that is on the list of things to hate. HAATE that hero, so retarded. ANYWAY, yeah I stopped playing LoL for many reasons, but I still sorta miss being on there and carrying an entire team of baddies with your best hero, (thanks to rune setup and lane control) but ever since I started playing HoN again, it's just a different story for me in gameplay.

I will give LoL some credit for being pretty original in some hero designs, but I still really hate the fact that it takes them forever to balance anything on that game.

Aiming for the top ~ working to be the best.

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
They released a bunch of meh heroes in the past couple weeks. I ended up going back to some of the original champs actually, who have become really underrated. Nasus is a LOT of fun now. They just released renek and kharma, which are both pretty fun to play too.

They do really need to do a better job of not releasing so many champions with almost the exact same roles. I think their setup requires that they keep pumping out champions or they won't make any money. They should figure out a way to make it supported by non-obtrusive ads. They have all sorts of adspace on loading screens.

That way they could release more fun content (like magma chamber, which is taking butts long) and less repetitive champions.

edit: the two reasons that I play are that my laptop is shitty and LoL still runs alright on it and that it is free. I have put in 0 dollars and it's still a great way to relax every night when i get home from work. Eat dinner, play a game or two of LoL and watch an episode of whichever TV show is new that night. Doing that about 4 nights a week and I have more than enough IP to buy any champion when they come out.

Edited by way2lazy2care, 03 February 2011 - 01:26 PM.

Give me LoL Referals.

Ghostwhisp

Ghostwhisp
  • Members
  • 129 posts
  • Steam ID:STNO | Cptn.Canuck
  • Xbox / GFWL:Ghostwhisp
  • PSN:Cptn_Canuck
Too much rage. Kassadin > than all yo champs and all your other games. gg

It's Cptn.Canuck Bitchez

Yozki

Yozki
  • Members
  • 2,139 posts
  • xfire:Yozki
  • Steam ID:Yozki
QUOTE (Ghostwhisp @ Feb 3 2011, 06:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Too much rage. Kassadin > than all yo champs and all your other games. gg

Kassasin is a little bitch with his free blink. But unless fed he's no real threat unless you allow yourself to be poked to death.

Ghostwhisp

Ghostwhisp
  • Members
  • 129 posts
QUOTE (Yozki @ Feb 3 2011, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kassasin is a little bitch with his free blink. But unless fed he's no real threat unless you allow yourself to be poked to death.

lol he's my absolute favorite champion. I kick so much ass with him, it's ridiculous.

It's Cptn.Canuck Bitchez

timesharelink

timesharelink
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Surfing. Browsing
free..... it is good.. :-)

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
QUOTE (Yozki @ Feb 3 2011, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you let it get really late game kass can fuck ur day up.

I'm having fun with renekton. Still getting used to kharma, but she's pretty fun as well.

For the past few days blitz has been really pissing me off. Every blitz I play against just sits under their tower and goes for bitch ass pull in tower kills. It's annoying as piss.
Give me LoL Referals.

Ghostwhisp

Ghostwhisp
  • Members
  • 129 posts
Just purchased Ezreal today, and played a few custom games with him. I'm really liking how he plays, but i have a feeling i'm going to start treating him like kass. and thats no good icon_razz.gif

It's Cptn.Canuck Bitchez

Yozki

Yozki
  • Members
  • 2,139 posts
  • xfire:Yozki
  • Steam ID:Yozki
Lol yeah I have the same problem whenever I play a single champion for too long, I can't seem to re set my play-style for a while.

Ghostwhisp

Ghostwhisp
  • Members
  • 129 posts
Lol I did exactly as predicted. Ended up finishing the game 1-8-3. icon_sad.gif I made my teammates rage. And rightfully so. I sucked major balls.

It's Cptn.Canuck Bitchez

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
I have been playing nasus quite wrong. I've been farming like a mother fucker, but I focussed on SF not SS. HOLY FUCK. I just got to +450 on my first try focusing on SS. Holy crud. I had +150 at the end of laning phase. Jebus.

At the end of the game I was pushing top and the other team pushed mid and beat my team. Because of my SS I pushed top with minions from the inner turret to their nexus, killed gangplank who finally realized they were fucked, and won before they pushed to our inner turrets.
Give me LoL Referals.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users