Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Xbox Live Poll

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Poll: How would it affect you if Silver members could play games online for free with ads? (32 member(s) have cast votes)

How would it affect you if Silver members could play games online for free with ads?

1. Non 360 Owner: I would buy a 360 (4 votes [7.55%])

Percentage of vote: 7.55%

2. Non 360 Owner: I still would not buy a 360 (10 votes [18.87%])

Percentage of vote: 18.87%

3. 360 owner: I would downgrade my current Gold membership (13 votes [24.53%])

Percentage of vote: 24.53%

4. 360 owner: Gold memberships would still be worth having (10 votes [18.87%])

Percentage of vote: 18.87%

5. 360 owner: the ads would not bother me at all (13 votes [24.53%])

Percentage of vote: 24.53%

6. 360 owner: the ads would bother me too much (3 votes [5.66%])

Percentage of vote: 5.66%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Xander756

Xander756
  • Members
  • 426 posts
  • Interests:Starcraft, Half Life 2, Team Fortress 2
Hey guys, I write a national Xbox 360 column and wanted to get some gamer opinions on a subject I am currently researching. I am looking to get the opinions of non-360 owners as well as 360 owners. I have included a poll with several questions and would greatly appreciate if you answered them. Some responses are for 360 owners while others are for non-360 owners. Please be honest when answering. If you have seen this poll on another gaming forum, please don't answer again because I don't want double votes (I'm going to add them all up in the end). Thanks!

The question is about whether or not having ads on the dashboard, like a banner ad in the top right corner or something, would bother you if you it meant you could play online multiplayer for free on a Silver account. The ads wouldn't be there for Gold members, only Silver ones. Gold subscribers would still have exclusive access to party chat, video chat, game demos, Last.FM, Facebook, Netflix, Twitter, and the upcoming Hulu Plus while Silver members would not be able to use any of those things.

If you could play 360 games online for free and don't own a 360, would this make you buy one? If you are currently a Gold member, would you downgrade your membership if they did this?

The poll allows for multiple votes but please only vote within your sub-category (ie. 360 owner or non-360 owner).

Tree_

Tree_

<3's You Guys

• Retired Staff
  • 15,518 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:1
I dont have Gold because I dont use the 360 enough to justify paying for it, but if Silver had free ad-supported online play i'd use it alot more.

eedok

eedok
  • GA Private
  • 5,414 posts
  • xfire:eedok
  • Interests:qqq
  • Steam ID:eedok
  • Xbox / GFWL:eedok
  • Wii:3394-3242-5681
  • Gamer Army ID:1176
so instead of the ads that the XBox defaults to when you turn it on (which annoys me to no end as every other console assumes when there's a game in it you want to play the game and not look at whatever current ad is running) they add in another ad in addition to this one? The only way it wouldn't annoy me is if they removed the current ad and had the system default to play game

Eogris

Eogris
  • Members
  • 874 posts
  • xfire:eogris
  • PSN:Eogris_
  • Wii:0062259758890805
i would probably buy a xbox if they did this, voted accordingly.

Kipzz

Kipzz
  • GA Corporal
  • 1,107 posts
  • xfire:luziferdeville
  • Interests:WoW, CoD4, EvE Online, Minecraft, whatever takes my fancy.
  • Steam ID:ppgaluzifer
  • Gamer Army ID:3590
  • Company:Pi
QUOTE (Tree_ @ Oct 25 2010, 03:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dont have Gold because I dont use the 360 enough to justify paying for it, but if Silver had free ad-supported online play i'd use it alot more.

QUOTE (Whiskerz @ Apr 23 2010, 02:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I tried talking to a woman once, but it glitched and didn't give me any conversation options.

Guest_Rakielis_*

Guest_Rakielis_*
  • Guests
if i understood correctly (and maybe i didnt) gold is just like it is now but has no ads and silver is just like it is now but with online multiplayer (they see the same ads as gold members currently).

i currently have gold and would instantly terminate my live account to play for free and all i have to do is press up once my xbox is loaded.

CartooN

CartooN
  • Members
  • 134 posts
For me it would depend on the frequency of the ads and how they were shown to me. If, like you said, they were just a banner ad that was out of the way in a corner somewhere then I really wouldnt mind and would probably go for silver. If we were talking more perhaps along the lines of what sites like youtube are doing now. Where you have to watch atleast 30 seconds of an advert before I could get online then I would consider sticking with gold.

But honestly Ive never minded paying for gold. Ive used both the PS3 and Wii's version of online and their both pretty horrendous in comparison. Everything else aside, microsoft seem to be the only company so far that have really nailed the online system and its a service Im willing to pay for.

Edited by CartooN, 25 October 2010 - 11:16 PM.

Xander756

Xander756
  • Members
  • 426 posts
QUOTE (CartooN @ Oct 26 2010, 12:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For me it would depend on the frequency of the ads and how they were shown to me. If, like you said, they were just a banner ad that was out of the way in a corner somewhere then I really wouldnt mind and would probably go for silver. If we were talking more perhaps along the lines of what sites like youtube are doing now. Where you have to watch atleast 30 seconds of an advert before I could get online then I would consider sticking with gold.

But honestly Ive never minded paying for gold. Ive used both the PS3 and Wii's version of online and their both pretty horrendous in comparison. Everything else aside, microsoft seem to be the only company so far that have really nailed the online system and its a service Im willing to pay for.

Well the banner would pretty much ruin themes for the free members so in that regards it wouldn't really be "out of the way".

Spowis

Spowis
  • GA Private
  • 1,269 posts
  • Interests:FPS.
  • Steam ID:spowis
  • Xbox / GFWL:smpowis
  • PSN:smpowis
  • Rofl-Rupees:0
  • Gamer Army ID:4794
  • Company:Gamma
What unique online titles does the 360 have that cannot be brought and played on PC? (Edit: Found a list.)

So is that it then, just a string of Halo titles, Gears and Forza - the only things going for it online? I don't think I'd buy one if they dropped to as little as 20, I'd still play everything on a PC.

Edited by Spowis, 26 October 2010 - 09:53 PM.

Left_4_Dead_Signature_by_Sitic.png

Xayun

Xayun

Wisest Poster '09

• GA Private
  • 2,732 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:2492
  • Company:Gamma
Would drop Gold like a bad habit if that was the case

cadetduke

cadetduke
  • GA Private
  • 5,898 posts
  • xfire:cadetduke
  • Steam ID:cadetduke
  • Xbox / GFWL:cadetduke
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:2069
  • Company:Foxtrot
I need Netflix so I would keep Gold.
Midwest Gaming - Work in progress.

Xander756

Xander756
  • Members
  • 426 posts
Not to bump a dead thread or anything but if anybody is interested, here are the total results from the survey which I had also posted on several other gaming forums: http://www.examiner....research-survey.

Some of them are a bit surprising to me, especially that not many people voted they would buy a 360 even if gaming online was free.

Thanks for your help to those who voted.

Edited by Xander756, 01 December 2010 - 01:24 PM.

Billy...

Billy...
  • Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • Interests:Pee and Pooh
  • Steam ID:googlegaara818
  • Xbox / GFWL:GhostsFaceKira
QUOTE (eedok @ Oct 25 2010, 10:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
so instead of the ads that the XBox defaults to when you turn it on (which annoys me to no end as every other console assumes when there's a game in it you want to play the game and not look at whatever current ad is running) they add in another ad in addition to this one? The only way it wouldn't annoy me is if they removed the current ad and had the system default to play game

You know there has always been an option to just have the game in the xbox auto-play rite?
QUOTE (The Colonel @ Jun 14 2010, 05:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Chill out faggot

TracyTheFreak

TracyTheFreak

For being amazing, of course

• Members
  • 2,975 posts
  • xfire:TracyTheFreak
  • Steam ID:Dezna (TracyTheFreak)
  • Xbox / GFWL:TracyTheFreak
QUOTE (eedok @ Oct 25 2010, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (Billy... @ Dec 2 2010, 01:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know there has always been an option to just have the game in the xbox auto-play rite?

^ This is what I was going to say.
Actually.. my xbox always was on auto play until I switched it to go to the dashboard first...

So basically.. this is saying it silver would be like what gold is now.... and gold would be ad free. Only reason I would stay with gold is for party chat because the other stuff can be used on my computer.

ThrashTitan

ThrashTitan
  • Members
  • 922 posts
  • Steam ID:Maximus_Metallicus
QUOTE (Xander756 @ Dec 2 2010, 04:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Some of them are a bit surprising to me, especially that not many people voted they would buy a 360 even if gaming online was free.

I can see why though. The PS3, Wii, and PC all have FREE online components, without ads at all, or needing a "lesser" account type to bypass the ads. Also, there aren't any 360 exclusives I would rush out to buy.
QUOTE (spiri7ussancti @ Jun 13 2011, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would like to clarify that I am indeed trolling in this particular thread.

QUOTE (spiri7ussancti @ Jun 8 2011, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
FIRST OF ALL. ur stupid, me and my friends have a name for kids like you we meet in pub games. We call them "new age gamer"

kmjnhb

kmjnhb
  • Members
  • 2,327 posts
  • xfire:kmjnhb
  • Interests:games, world history, mythology, religion and culture, anime, food.
  • Steam ID:Hallvardgn
  • Xbox / GFWL:BEER4Hallvard
I have gold because ms refuses to accept my attempts to cancel it...

I've given up now... Been trying to get help from customer support for months and I've now just accepted the price I have to pay every 3rd month for something I don't use...

If changing to adds or something could let me cancel the god damned thing I would welcome it.

Edited by kmjnhb, 10 December 2010 - 03:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users