Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Delay On Lan

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Natebubba

Natebubba
  • Members
  • 215 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:Natebubba0
---------I have a problem in my local area network that causes a 500 ms delay between any machines I use and I know it has nothing to do with faulty hardware... so what could it be? I'm just guessing the 500 ms I've never seen it pick that up.

PLEASE do not mention any kind of network hardware or trying a different computer, because I've done ALL that. It has NOTHING to do with hardware.

And if I ping the other computers on my network it says <1 ms. If I'm in a game lobby the ping fluctuates between 10-50. When a player first joins it tends to spike, also.

My computers are plenty fast. Just trust me.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Nathan>nbtstat -n

Local Area Connection:
Node IpAddress: [192.168.1.10] Scope Id: []

NetBIOS Local Name Table

Name Type Status
---------------------------------------------
MONSTERPC <00> UNIQUE Registered
WORKGROUPHOME <00> GROUP Registered
MONSTERPC <20> UNIQUE Registered
WORKGROUPHOME <1E> GROUP Registered
WORKGROUPHOME <1D> UNIQUE Registered
..__MSBROWSE__.<01> GROUP Registered

C:\Users\Nathan>

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Nathan>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : MonsterPC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : tampabay.rr.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : tampabay.rr.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8168D/8111D Family PCI-E Gigab
it Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-24-1D-DA-CC-CB
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::807f:584a:51c4:f1ba%11(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.10(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, October 15, 2010 3:54:53 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, October 22, 2010 3:54:53 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234890269
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-12-CD-70-1C-00-24-1D-DA-CC-CB

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e76:4c4:3f28:b747:cfee(Prefe
rred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::4c4:3f28:b747:cfee%13(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.tampabay.rr.com:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : tampabay.rr.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

C:\Users\Nathan>

Edited by Natebubba, 15 October 2010 - 05:15 PM.

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
Any machine? That automatically puts it in the network hardware or configuration if you ask me.

I see you're using a static IP and IPv6,how about turning that off first. That said, do a traceroute between two machines and a ping -t to see what the latency on your LAN is and where it pops up.

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

Natebubba

Natebubba
  • Members
  • 215 posts
It's wierd, but I swear I did everything you said and it just doesn't work.

Sorry its been a while I turned off Ipv6 doesnt do anything...as for static IP...I've used non static and static on both machines testing

Well, I disabled Ipv6 but on a connection called Local Area Connection but that's the only connection I could find in CP, so...

and the traceroute always says <1ms.

One interesting thing is that when I do a traceroute to another computer it says <1ms or to a website it comes in <100 ms, but it takes a LONG time to do a traceroute. Like I'll say traceroute www.purepwnage.com and itll go to the the <1ms stop first really fast, instantly, but all the stops after that take a while. Like it'll say 15 ms, but itll take like 2 seconds to pop up. And then the next one, takes a few seconds, then pops up and says 20 ms.

And sometimes the 3 ms things will come up one at a time at a really slow speed, and then it'll sit there at the IP/name and wait like 5 seconds and then that'll pop up.

THe clicker will sit there on one of the three pings to each destination (tracert) and go BLINK... BLINK.... BLINK... BLINK... 47 ms. And its like it almost times out but then it comes back with 47 ms. Wtf?

this guys traceroutes go fast, mine load slow as hell It took 43 seconds to traceroute google.

http://www.neowin.ne...s-on-the-reply/ what does that mean its a problem with hostname resolving? Because if hostname lookup is what I think it is...it's slow on mine too
Read what this guy says

http://www.networkin.......=33&t=12121
and here thay talk about DNS. I don't even know what DNS is

I THINK I FOUND THE PROBLEM you just have to be smart enough to interpret this for me:

http://www.networkin.......=33&t=12121 AT the bottom of the page he does pathping -n -q 100 [IP]

It works PERFECTLY when I do that. It takes like no time. But what does that mean?

Then again, maybe it's nothing to do with this.

Edited by Natebubba, 08 November 2010 - 06:48 PM.

7h3 n00b m4573r

7h3 n00b m4573r

Best HW & SW Contributor 08 & 09

• CCA
  • 9,600 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:Dont like
  • PSN:Completely detest
  • Wii:Cant afford
Hostname resolving is converting a hostname (eg, "www.purepwnage.com") to a numerical IP address, shouldn't have anything to do with your ping

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Metabox P170 laptop
i7 3610QM 2.3GHz
4x4GB RAM
256GB SSD + 1TB HDD
nVidia GTX675M

Natebubba

Natebubba
  • Members
  • 215 posts
Well is they any way that I can get the network settings of my network? I mean, what is my network doing when it starts? I have no freakin idea, and yet I can't find anything other than the "change to static IP or set your own dns server" page

I can't actually find the properties of my network, I mean according to my computer I'm on "Network 2" (where did that name come from, because i never made it?) but the only settings I can find are Local Area Network

where are all the complex network settings?

Edited by Natebubba, 09 November 2010 - 05:00 PM.

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
Define "network." You'll find that a network consists of many components, the moest being a DHCP and DNS server and a default gateway, which each have their own configuration. Your router handles most of it. Your NIC of course has a lot of settings which are available in adapter configuration.

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

Natebubba

Natebubba
  • Members
  • 215 posts
OK well... I mean everything. Where are the settings for all the different stuff that has to do with the network

Also...why is it so hard to figure this problem out and why did this happen to me? It's such bullshit I mean I never did anything wierd to the computer to make it do this...so wtf

And most people aren't network experts...so why doesnt it happen to them

Garamiah

Garamiah
  • Global Moderators
  • 6,674 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:20
QUOTE (Natebubba @ Nov 11 2010, 08:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And most people aren't network experts...so why doesnt it happen to them

It does happen to them, they just don't realise it. And if they're network stalls bad enough for them to notice, they call out an 'IT guy' and pay a high price to get it fixed.

Now between which machines is this 500ms ping? Is it only one machine with a 500m ping to all other computers, or is it only pings to one certain machine that are slow. More details are needed.
QUOTE (Plasmic Fury @ Jul 11 2010, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was in the ocean and I had a frizbee, and some 8/10's were like THROW IT TO US and I just pretended I didnt hear them and swam quickly back to beach.

Natebubba

Natebubba
  • Members
  • 215 posts
It's all the machines attached to my LAN... which I guess suggests that it's network hardware but I have switched ALL that out, I've tried different computers, wires, routers, modems, I've even tried using a switch. It just has to be that the network isn't set up correctly, like the way it's functioning or something, maybe a piece of hardware has a setting off or there are conflicting drivers or some glitch in Windows but it's too technical for me to figure out

And there is no 500 ms ping displayed in command prompt, command prompt shows < 1 ms ping. I can just feel the 500 ms... like... it's definitely there.

I guess the most important information is that I've gone computer -- cable -- switch -- cable -- computer with different sets of computers (albeit they were all at one point on my LAN network) so it appears there is just some kind of software setting problem?!?!

EDIT important:: ONE thing that may interest you VERY much is that the computers on my LAN actually have latency to themselves.

That's right. To themselves. If I play a single player game (campaign, offline) on any game - no latency. But if I tell the computer I'm starting a multiplayer game, but don't have any other players connect (I am the only player on the server, and I am hosting the server, and I am playing against AI, such as Black Ops' trainee mp mode) I actually have latency to myself. I'll open the menu, and it'll say "Natebubba: PING - 20" or something like that. And it's on my immediate computer! And it'll say "AI Guy 1: Ping - 0"

Other examples of games where this happens Starcraft 1 vs AI... ummm... Counter Strike vs AI. (this is in the multiplayer suite, not the single player; of course, CS has no single player suite)

Oh and the 20 ping it says is actually like 500 ms cause I can feel it A LOT. Like there is major delay to myself...

Edited by Natebubba, 11 November 2010 - 09:27 PM.

Garamiah

Garamiah
  • Global Moderators
  • 6,674 posts
If pings from any machine to any other machine are all <1ms, then it doesn't seem like there are any communications problems on your LAN.
What applications or tests are you running that give you the feeling that the network is slow.
I was in the ocean and I had a frizbee, and some 8/10's were like THROW IT TO US and I just pretended I didnt hear them and swam quickly back to beach.

Nevermore

Nevermore
  • GA Private
  • 1,658 posts
  • Interests:Internets! Games! Music! Photography!
  • Gamer Army ID:1083
Maybe your switch just sucks dude

Natebubba

Natebubba
  • Members
  • 215 posts
What applications...um...any game has a totally obvious massive response time delay (like, at least 500 ms). And pretty much any application where the computers communicate. Like...including really old games. And yeah the switch could be slow but I've tried a switch and a bunch of different routers.

Edited by Natebubba, 12 November 2010 - 03:23 PM.

Garamiah

Garamiah
  • Global Moderators
  • 6,674 posts
Is this a recent problem or has it been happening for a while now? Did it just happen all of a sudden? Are they old computers?

Natebubba

Natebubba
  • Members
  • 215 posts
It happened when I moved from VA to Florida, and the network was re setup... which was like four years ago... there's like one old computer and two newer computers...

Edited by Natebubba, 12 November 2010 - 09:05 PM.

Garamiah

Garamiah
  • Global Moderators
  • 6,674 posts
Well tbh if the delay is on online games it's probably just a different speed internet connection... if the delay is on LAN games then it sounds like a computer problem, not a LAN problem. If each pc can ping each other at <1ms delay then your network is fine.
Also, when hosting a server for an online game you can expect a small latency.

Natebubba

Natebubba
  • Members
  • 215 posts
Sorry this is old but I'm pissed again and back to trying to fix this...

so...previous post:

I have a 40 mbps internet connection so about connection speed...I don't what you mean other than bandwidth and mine is plenty

I'm not hosting games

and according to you then, my network is fine...

So where is the delay coming from then?

it's a computer problem? like...what? is there any kind of person I could hire that could help me with this or do no such people exist and I'm one in five hundred million to get this problem. What kind of person should I hire then, if it must come to that?

And as I said in the post above my computer has latency to itself in fake multiplayer games, what would cause this?

Edited by Natebubba, 13 December 2010 - 04:56 PM.

Sir_Slik

Sir_Slik
  • Members
  • 1,135 posts
Get different LAN cables, make sure they aren't excessively long.
The lunacy of today is the genius of tomorrow.

R.I.P. Troy <3

Natebubba

Natebubba
  • Members
  • 215 posts
They aren't excessively long...and I've replaced them before

Natebubba

Natebubba
  • Members
  • 215 posts
Doesn't it mean something that if I disconnect my computer from all the external network stuff and play a fake mp game I have a delay?

Can people start suggesting stuff based on this...? Because if that happens it's obviously not external, no?

Edited by Natebubba, 21 December 2010 - 05:10 PM.

BlG_BALLS

BlG_BALLS
  • Members
  • 222 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:autoplay
http 192.168.1.1 that will get you into your router. From there,turn off wireless. You need to trub shoot,if you truly believe you havin probs.

If router asks for password.....type admin and then password1 That works for majority of routers,that haven't been user secured.

If on a home network etc....bounce a ping to yourself.

As I mentioned to you in the past,FL has bad nodes in various areas,which you'll never overcome.

Here's two examples of ping. I'm in Sarasota FL. Ping of almost 80,less than 50 miles away...but yet ping of 40ish,going to Texas and back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users